Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Conventions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-22, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: Comic Conventions

Originally Posted by DJariya
That’s a lot of money your eating. Any way you can sell them off? I mean they are enforcing a mask mandate and you have to show proof of vaccinations or negative Covid test. But I understand if you don’t trust that system because comic con is a massive event

Edit: I see you can’t sell them off because it has your name on it and you need to show ID. I do see people trying to sell them on EBay.
Isn't it just random id checks? But I have heard that they regularly contact ebay and ban the people who sell badges there.
Old 07-21-22, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

So looks like the first panel is being done virtually. It’s for the ABC shows The Rookie and The Rookie Feds. And this tweet says the audience isn’t happy. I read that the shows are in the midst of production and couldn’t make it to San Diego. It must suck for the people who waited in line just to watch a video feed.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-21-22 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-21-22, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So looks like the first panel is being done virtually. It’s for the ABC shows The Rookie and The Rookie Feds. And this tweet says the audience isn’t happy. I read that the shows are in the midst of production and couldn’t make it to San Diego. It must suck for the people who waited in line just to watch a video feed.

https://twitter.com/sd_comic_con/sta...VmcrhMB-A16s6g
Did they not announce that it was going to be virtual early? If not, there's no excuse for letting people line up without knowing.

Like the description for the Abbott Elementary panel clearly says virtual:
Star and executive producer Quinta Brunson and stars Tyler James Williams, Janelle James, Chris Perfetti, Lisa Ann Walter, William Stanford Davis, and Sheryl Lee Ralph join executive producers Justin Halpern and Patrick Schumacker for a live virtual panel to discuss the breakout hit series ahead of its season two return on ABC this fall. Moderated by Marcus Jones (awards editor, TV & Film at IndieWire).
Old 07-21-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

The description says virtual:
Nathan Fillion (Castle, Firefly) and Niecy Nash-Betts (Claws, Reno 911) join executive producers Alexi Hawley and Terence Paul Winter to discuss how worlds will collide when The Rookie franchise expands with The Rookie: Feds, coming to ABC this fall. The LIVE virtual panel conversation will be moderated by Damian Holbrook(senior writer, TV Guide Magazine)."

But the event is also marked as "Updated" so it could have been, say, modified this morning with that info.
Old 07-21-22, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang
The description says virtual:

But the event is also marked as "Updated" so it could have been, say, modified this morning with that info.
Yeah, this was posted yesterday on d23.com:
https://d23.com/disney-guide-to-san-...omic-con-2022/
Nathan Fillion and Niecy Nash-Betts: ABC’s The Rookie and The Rookie: Feds
10:45–11:45 a.m., Ballroom 20

Nathan Fillion (Castle, Firefly) and Niecy Nash-Betts (Claws, Reno 911) join executive producers Alexi Hawley and Terence Paul Winter to discuss how worlds will collide when The Rookie franchise expands with The Rookie: Feds, coming to ABC this fall. Moderated by Damian Holbrook (senior writer, TV Guide magazine).
I get it, they're in the middle of filming and even though LA is not too far away, the risk of someone getting covid and shutting down production is probably too high, but man they must've known that a little earlier than yesterday.

Old 07-21-22, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I know Nathan Fillion has nerd cred, but how many people are waiting in line for The Rookie? The one year I did Hall H I sat through a lot of panels like that just because something I wanted to see was in there later. If that meant sitting through Jamie Foxx talking about Stealth while I read some comics, so be it.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (07-21-22)
Old 07-21-22, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah now that I think about it, I can't imagine the audience for a The Rookie panel (a show that's now in year 5) and a spinoff that isn't exactly drawing a lot of excitement would be very big.
majorjoe23 (07-21-22)
Old 07-22-22, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

I've been keeping up with most of the SDCC announcements. Nothing mind blowing today. It was mostly Marvel animation projects, Walking Dead and the new Lord of the Rings trailer.

The big stuff from DC and Marvel are anticipated tomorrow.

Old 07-23-22, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk God

In case any of you are even remotely interested in watching some of these comic con panels, The YouTube channel Films that Rock seems to be shooting high quality versions of most of the big ones.

https://www.youtube.com/user/filmsthatrock/videos

But, they are not allowed to film trailers or special footage in the panels, so those are edited out. But, they are dropped later on anyways.
John Pannozzi (07-25-22)
Old 07-23-22, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Anybody going to the Raleigh, NC Galaxy Con next weekend?
Old 07-23-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

DC only promoted Shazam and Black Adam today. The Superman rumor was false.
Old 07-25-22, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

DC only promoted Shazam and Black Adam today. The Superman rumor was false.
Though the Rock teased a ton at the Cavill rumors both on stage and in interviews (his favorite Superman, THE Superman of the generation, a close friend, etc.). But he dodged it enough that it's probably not happening in this movie.

Last edited by fujishig; 07-25-22 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-26-22, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a blast!
So masks were definitely in use but I did see many, both con-goers and staff, with masks under their nose. Even some con-goers and vendors without masks and even security at times.
I know of one person personally who is fully vaxxed, wore mask and ended up feeling sick on Sunday. Tested positive for rona. There will be many I'm sure.

This year was really good for me. Lots of signatures and lots of tickets given to me because people had other panels or whatever to attend so they handed them to me. One was the Mattel booth so I was able to purchase the No Holds Barred set.
Another guy handed me a ticket to get a free Marvel Multiverse hat from a panel I guess.
I didn't think I would be able to get the Spawn blanks, but as luck would have it, I got 3!

They say it sold out but there is no way. Walking the floor was not even close to what it normally is. Usually butts-to-nuts but this year, lots of open space.
I somehow got on the exhibit floor on Saturday at like 8am. Saw a door they were letting people in, walked in, scanned badge, went in! It was only vendors
PhantomStranger (07-26-22)
Old 08-29-22, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

I just realized that the Chicon convention I am going to with my Dad later this week will have quite a few comic themed panels, and Gene Ha is an artist guest of honor.

I have not been to a convention in many years and it should be fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by Inhumans99:
majorjoe23 (08-29-22), PhantomStranger (08-29-22)
Old 09-01-22, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

We're going to be at MileHiCon, a science fiction convention, this October in Denver. Charles Vess is the guest artist.

If anyone else is planning to there, stop by the table and say Hi!
Old 09-06-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I may go. Since Starfest closed its doors this year, I've been on the lookout for another con to hit up yearly, especially one at a hotel. I've been attending Starfest at that hotel for almost 15 years.
Old 09-10-22, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Went to Day 1 of D23 yesterday. Here are a few photos I took. I went to the Disney Legends awards ceremony at the start of my day. I was there from 1030am to 6pm. A lot of walking. Masks were only enforced when you interacted with talent for autographs.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
John Pannozzi (09-10-22), PhantomStranger (09-11-22)
Old 09-10-22, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk God

The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
John Pannozzi (09-10-22), MLBFan24 (09-13-22)
Old 11-14-22, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Bought a ticket for Comic Con Los Angeles, which is December 2-4. I'm going the last day on the 4th.

Bought 2 photo ops. William Shatner and Karen Fukuhara. William Shatner. I mean enough said. He's a legend and 91. He doesn't have many years left, so I figured I would splurge on a Star Trek Legend. I'm debating if I want to pay for an autograph as well.

and Karen Fukuhara. I mean she's not super popular, but she's on The Boys and is a very cute Japanese girl, so why not?

Here is the list for now. I am hoping they add more

https://comicconla.com/guests?catego...ainment+guests
Old 11-14-22, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bought a ticket for Comic Con Los Angeles, which is December 2-4. I'm going the last day on the 4th.

Bought 2 photo ops. William Shatner and Karen Fukuhara. William Shatner. I mean enough said. He's a legend and 91. He doesn't have many years left, so I figured I would splurge on a Star Trek Legend. I'm debating if I want to pay for an autograph as well.

and Karen Fukuhara. I mean she's not super popular, but she's on The Boys and is a very cute Japanese girl, so why not?

Here is the list for now. I am hoping they add more

https://comicconla.com/guests?catego...ainment+guests
One of my rules with deciding between a few different celebs that I may want autographs and/or photo ops with is to get them from the eldest and/or sickliest first. Odds are you'll have more chances for autographs and photo ops with the youngest and healthiest, so get those last. A few years back, Kevin Conroy was at a local con. While he wasn't extremely elderly and not known to be ill at the time, I'm glad I went to his booth when I did over some other celebs. He had a deal when you bought three autographs you got a free photo op (with your own camera, at the table). His autographs were fairly cheap at $40 each, so $120 for three autos and a photo was well worth it. Now that he's gone, that was obviously the best choice. Any of the others that I may have missed at that con, I can still get at another con later down the road. I applied the same though process when Burt Reynolds was making a signing appearance at a convention in Philly. Tomorrow is never guaranteed, but odds are the older ones will be gone first.
majorjoe23 (11-14-22)
Old 11-14-22, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Yeah. So glad I got Stan lee's autograph when I did.
Old 11-14-22, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I got a picture with Shatner at the WA State Summer Con this year for exactly that reason. He's making a lot of appearances lately but you never know.
DJariya (11-14-22)
Old 11-15-22, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yeah. So glad I got Stan lee's autograph when I did.
I had gone to a lot of Stan Lee's convention signings and had a few private signings with him, but never had a picture taken with him at any of them. I went to a convention in 2017 just to get a few things signed by him for my personal collection. I decided to get a picture taken with him at that con because I figured it might be a while before I saw him again at another con and he looked like he was starting to lose control of everything at that point. His manager got me through to the front of his photo op line, so I didn't have to wait long there.

I'm glad i got the picture taken with him that time. His wife passed away about a month after that and everything went downhill with him rather quickly after that. I never saw Stan again after that day. Every convention I went to see him at, I knew could be my last. I never thought that the last time I saw Kevin Conroy last April/May, but it proves you just never know.
Old 11-15-22, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I got a picture with Shatner at the WA State Summer Con this year for exactly that reason. He's making a lot of appearances lately but you never know.
He's at a lot of cons. I'm planning on going to one he's at early next year to get the rest of the stuff I have that I want to get signed by him. My friend and I got a picture taken with him two years ago, but it didn't come out that well. They were using the partition between Shatner and us and instead of having us on both sides of him they had both me and my friend on one side of the partition and Shatner on the other. It looks like two different pictures photoshopped together. It looks like a picture of me and my friend and another picture of Shatner spliced together. I may try to get another one done if there's time.
Old 11-15-22, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I had gone to a lot of Stan Lee's convention signings and had a few private signings with him, but never had a picture taken with him at any of them. I went to a convention in 2017 just to get a few things signed by him for my personal collection. I decided to get a picture taken with him at that con because I figured it might be a while before I saw him again at another con and he looked like he was starting to lose control of everything at that point. His manager got me through to the front of his photo op line, so I didn't have to wait long there.

I'm glad i got the picture taken with him that time. His wife passed away about a month after that and everything went downhill with him rather quickly after that. I never saw Stan again after that day. Every convention I went to see him at, I knew could be my last. I never thought that the last time I saw Kevin Conroy last April/May, but it proves you just never know.
I got my picture with Stan for free at SDCC in 2000. Times have certainly changed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.