Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Conventions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Comic Conventions

Originally Posted by Bronkster
As others have mentioned, the San Diego Comic Con has gotten far away from its comic book roots. But for Southern California residents looking for a small comic book-focused convention, I found out about the California Comic Convention a few years ago. It's small (especially compared to ComiCon), but has comic dealers from all over.

I really enjoyed the laid-back feel, and being able to actually take my time to scan through boxes of old comics without a thousand geeks, nerds and noisy kids bumping into me or pushing me out of the way.

It's only one day - Sunday, January 29th, 2012 - and I've already requested the day off so I can go! I'm gon' buy me some comic books!
Photobucket
Thanks for the head's up on this Convention. I've never heard of it before! Looks like I'm heading to the OC in January.
Old 01-08-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
I also jealous of people who have the ability to go to conventions. Unfortunately living in corn country there aren't many cons around here.
No Corn Cons?

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Thanks for the head's up on this Convention. I've never heard of it before! Looks like I'm heading to the OC in January.
Awesome! Look for me there! I'll be the tall nerd drooling over Superman comics
Old 01-09-12, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a Comic and Collectibles Con in Deland, Florida this coming Sunday. Also MegaCon will be in Orlando, on the 17th-19th of February. Anyone going to either of these?

I am going to the Deland show, and probably will go to Megacon also.
Old 01-09-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I also jealous of people who have the ability to go to conventions. Unfortunately living in corn country there aren't many cons around here.
Wizard World and C2E2 are only a few hours away. People drive from much farther away for both (I have).
Old 01-09-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Corn Cons?

Awesome! Look for me there! I'll be the tall nerd drooling over Superman comics
I'll be in the Herb Trimpe line trying to get him to sign my Shogun Warriors #1.

I couldn't bear having him sign my Godzilla #1 .....it is precious to me ......
Old 01-09-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You live in Springfield. Drive the 3 hours to Chicago.
Old 01-10-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Since there isn't going to be a convention in San Francisco this year, Image decided to have one in Oakland this February.

http://www.imagecomicexpo.com/
Old 01-16-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'll be in the Herb Trimpe line trying to get him to sign my Shogun Warriors #1.

I couldn't bear having him sign my Godzilla #1 .....it is precious to me ......
I hadn't thought about taking in something to be signed. I may grab my copy of Hulk 180 and see if he remembers drawing Wolverine.
Old 01-17-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by burnside986
You live in Springfield. Drive the 3 hours to Chicago.
Actually am planning on doing it this year. Hopefully, it loves up to expectations.
Old 01-17-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Just checked up on it, and tickets for C2E2 are on sale now. VIP tickets are going on sale this Thursday. For those that attended previous years, how was it? And how does this compare to PAX or other comicons?
Old 01-29-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back from the CalComicCon and got a few golden age Superman comics. What seemed like bargaining to me only got the prices down near guide (after I got home and checked). I suck at trying to get a deal. But it was fun to wander around and see comics everywhere.
Old 01-29-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Back from the CalComicCon and got a few golden age Superman comics. What seemed like bargaining to me only got the prices down near guide (after I got home and checked). I suck at trying to get a deal. But it was fun to wander around and see comics everywhere.
I've always been told to wait until near the end of a convention at the end of the day and try to bargain on stuff. Sellers have no motivation to bargain early.
Old 01-30-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by fhdavid52
There is a Comic and Collectibles Con in Deland, Florida this coming Sunday. Also MegaCon will be in Orlando, on the 17th-19th of February. Anyone going to either of these?

I am going to the Deland show, and probably will go to Megacon also.
Definitely hitting MegaCon in Orlando this year. Although I always have more fun at Spooky Empire in October.
Old 01-30-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've always been told to wait until near the end of a convention at the end of the day and try to bargain on stuff. Sellers have no motivation to bargain early.
Yes. Dealers do not want to take stuff back home. They're more willing to negotiate on the last day when they realize what they have to ship home.
Old 01-30-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you are buying a ton of comics, its not like a couple less comics will make any difference in the work needed to take their stuff away.
Old 01-31-12, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And with such local shows like that one, they're just putting their stuff back into a van then back to their shops which usually aren't that far away. NBD for them if nothing sells, other than a wasted fee to set up at a table.
Old 01-31-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what several dealers have told me over the years. Big cons and little local ones. I guess it depends on how well they did over the weekend and how high their costs were. I've been able to get great deals on single issues to big ass maquettes on the last day of several cons. One year I completed my Marvel Star Wars collection for $1 each after a dealer had them out all weekend for $5 to $20 each. And it was only 6 issues total.

At a Pasadena con back in 02, my friend picked up a couple of early Avengers issues for $5 each after waiting until the last day to hit up the dealer. They guy told us he'd rather sell them then lug them back home.
Old 01-31-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Regarding end-of-show bargains, it's very much a YMMV situation. I've had some minor success with it in the past, but I wouldn't advise holding off on something you really want in hopes you'll get a better deal later. Most likely, you'll wind up paying the same price later as you would sooner, but you run the risk of someone else snagging it first.

I will also say that there have been a couple of times where I've been talked into buying something this way, too! A dealer would catch me eyeing something in which I had only a passing interest and offer me enough of an "I don't want to take stuff with me" discount that I'd feel pressured into buying. Never anything I didn't at least kind of want, or at an unreasonable price, but truthfully I would probably have passed had it been earlier in the day. On my way out, though, there was a sense of "I'm not going to find anything else in the next five minutes, so why not?"
Old 02-08-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone at work mentioned WonderCon2012 in Anaheim, so I'm thinking about going to that. It's March 16th thru 18th. Anybody been before?
Old 02-10-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

You should go. Pretty darn close to you.

End of March is Planet ComicCon out here in Kansas City. Should be interesting after going to San Diego Comic-Con all these years.
Old 02-11-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
You should go. Pretty darn close to you.

End of March is Planet ComicCon out here in Kansas City. Should be interesting after going to San Diego Comic-Con all these years.
Hey, Tom!

I'm leaning. I doubt it will be as crowded as ComicCon, so that's a good thing. It also seems to be more comic book-centric, so that's another good thing. It'll all depend on how finances look at that point.
Old 02-12-12, 02:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to SDCC a few times back in the 90's, when it felt like it was just comic readers and dealers with long boxes. I'm sure there was more going on, but that's what it felt like.

Started going again for the past few years. Met up with a lot of DVD Talkers through SDCC, which was cool, but this year I'm skipping it. It's too big, too hectic, too everything. If you want to see any panel that isn't super obscure, you have to be there hours in advance. It's bullshit. Next week I'm going to Gallifrey One, a Doctor Who convention in Los Angeles, which has tons of really interesting guests and I hear the attendees are really great, too. It'll be a nice change of pace, and I won't have to drive two hours out of my way to get there, either.

I'm sure I'll go back to SDCC sometime. I've gotten some good sketches and photos and I even got an original page from Scott Pilgrim one year, which was very cool. I also got Jeff Smith to draw Bone and Ted for me because I was in line for a signing and accidentally had bought a book he already signed, so he was gracious enough to do a sketch instead for free.

I also remember sitting in on a panel while I was waiting for the next panel to start, and it was a showcase of Milo Manara, the Italian writer/artist. His work is amazing, sensual, very European. There were, I don't know, 30 people in the room. I was floored. This guy was so much better than 90% of the stuff you could see at the Con, and he was almost getting ignored (although I do think they gave him some award while he was there). Since then I've looked into a lot more European comics and have really come to love them, especially a lot of the stuff Humanoids publishes. If there were a Con in the US that focused on European comics, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Old 02-15-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Hey, Tom!

I'm leaning. I doubt it will be as crowded as ComicCon, so that's a good thing. It also seems to be more comic book-centric, so that's another good thing. It'll all depend on how finances look at that point.
Cool, hope you make it. Maybe next year you can plan a flight out here for the Kansas City one. Well, you might wanna wait to hear my report

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I also remember sitting in on a panel while I was waiting for the next panel to start, and it was a showcase of Milo Manara, the Italian writer/artist. His work is amazing, sensual, very European. There were, I don't know, 30 people in the room. I was floored. This guy was so much better than 90% of the stuff you could see at the Con, and he was almost getting ignored.
It's possible part of the problem was all the concurrent panels going on. You've done the drill.... make a list of all you want to see and then see which ones conflict. There are must-see panels you have to cross off your list. But then I don't know how popular European comics are over here. Hope you find a con that showcases works like that.
Old 02-15-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still mulling about going back to SDCC this year, but at least I know what I'm in for this time around. Pretty much if you want to get into Ballroom 20, be prepared to wait in line around 4 a.m., otherwise, you'll be waiting and waiting and waiting for some people to trickle out of there as they get to see the panel they wanted to see. And hopefully Hall H won't be too bad (pretty easy to stroll on in, once they were done with the Twihards on Thursday), but the big names (Spielberg/Peter Jackson) did fill up the room on Saturday, as did Glee on Sunday in 2011.

I'll be at Megacon this weekend. It has a decent slate of comic-related talent/guests (Stan Lee!), but it's nothing like my favorite one, Heroes Con, as it's got a lot of stuff going on under on exhibit hall's roof. I'll be roaming around, mainly taking photos.
Old 02-15-12, 08:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I should also mention that I see absolutely no point in going to SDCC if Tom Opus won't be there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.