Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Old 07-23-21, 11:55 AM
  #1001  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 884
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Can we make fun of the cover drawing? Like, what's all that swelling on Deadpool's leg? And where's his other leg?
Also I think he started drawing Deadpool from the bottom up after he drew Captain Marvel and then had to have him duck down and peek under her hair.
Old 07-23-21, 11:58 AM
  #1002  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,277
Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

He traced that sketch without a doubt.
Old 07-23-21, 02:17 PM
  #1003  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,889
Likes: 0
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

A bunch of Rob's original art for the first Youngblood series is coming up for auction at Comic Link next month.

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/s...od&ItemType=CA

I don't care for his contemporary stuff at all, but I LOVED Youngblood when I was 12. I still think this was his peak. There's obviously plenty to nitpick about these pages, and Danny Miki is probably doing some heavy lifting, but there's an energy there that is undeniable. I'd love to pick up one of these pages, but I feel like they're going to start at mid-four figures with some going over 10k.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-23-21)
Old 07-23-21, 02:23 PM
  #1004  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,439
Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

What's most hilarious/sad to me about Liefield is that his shortcomings have been common knowledge for a long time now. And he makes ZERO effort to improve. That Captain Marvel cover has the same problems he always has - no one has feet, body parts are too big or disappear and whatever woman is featured is in a spine-snapping pose.

Take a fucking class Rob! Do that thing where you have to draw the turtle and just learn how to draw feet! How hard is that after THIS LONG??
Old 07-23-21, 02:41 PM
  #1005  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 36,528
Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
What's most hilarious/sad to me about Liefield is that his shortcomings have been common knowledge for a long time now. And he makes ZERO effort to improve. That Captain Marvel cover has the same problems he always has - no one has feet, body parts are too big or disappear and whatever woman is featured is in a spine-snapping pose.

Take a fucking class Rob! Do that thing where you have to draw the turtle and just learn how to draw feet! How hard is that after THIS LONG??
And yet there are people who proudly proclaim they buy a comic just because he drew the cover in that same style.
Old 07-23-21, 03:51 PM
  #1006  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,889
Likes: 0
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
And yet there are people who proudly proclaim they buy a comic just because he drew the cover in that same style.
It's because he's popular that anyone cares. Like, is there a single other artist that the first thing people look at is whether or not they drew feet? It's kind of stupid if you ask me, and the criticisms are just as lazy as he seems to be as an artist.
Old 07-23-21, 04:28 PM
  #1007  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,439
Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
It's because he's popular that anyone cares. Like, is there a single other artist that the first thing people look at is whether or not they drew feet? It's kind of stupid if you ask me, and the criticisms are just as lazy as he seems to be as an artist.
It's ridiculous because he actively seems to avoid drawing feet. And once you see it, you can't unsee it.
Old 07-23-21, 04:40 PM
  #1008  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 36,528
Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
It's because he's popular that anyone cares. Like, is there a single other artist that the first thing people look at is whether or not they drew feet? It's kind of stupid if you ask me, and the criticisms are just as lazy as he seems to be as an artist.
Oh I'm not arguing that, of course it's because he's popular that people point out his flaws when compared to his popularity.

But all I'm saying is one of the reasons he doesn't "work on his craft" necessarily is because he doesn't have to.
Old 07-23-21, 04:52 PM
  #1009  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,681
Received 277 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

When I was a youngster, middle-and-high-school, I aspired to be a comic artist. I don't know how hard I worked at it per se, since I was in school at the same time, and all, but I recall very clearly that my colleagues and I (comic geeks stick together, and we all wanted to be artists), all of us made it a point of pride to be able to draw hands and feet correctly. I think anyone who wanted to MAKE A LIVING DRAWING THE HUMAN FORM, especially in a medium so focused on punching and kicking, would be duty bound to work on such things. Or they could be Liefeld.
Old 07-24-21, 09:08 AM
  #1010  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,192
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Have any of his books (post X-Force period) actually been good? I might say that SOME of his artwork is dynamic or energetic but it's also in books that are absolute shit form a story/overall perspective. At least all of the ones I've tried to read. Combine that with all of the flaws cited over the past 41 pages, how does his popularity endure? Most of it has to be his association with Deadpool and, while I'll give him credit for creating the character, from what I remember of those early X-Force appearances, what people love about DP today isn't really attributable to Liefeld.
Old 07-24-21, 12:48 PM
  #1011  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11,169
Received 526 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by ytrez View Post
Have any of his books (post X-Force period) actually been good? I might say that SOME of his artwork is dynamic or energetic but it's also in books that are absolute shit form a story/overall perspective. At least all of the ones I've tried to read. Combine that with all of the flaws cited over the past 41 pages, how does his popularity endure? Most of it has to be his association with Deadpool and, while I'll give him credit for creating the character, from what I remember of those early X-Force appearances, what people love about DP today isn't really attributable to Liefeld.
In short, no, nothing he has created post X-Force has been good overall. All if his concepts like Youngblood, Supreme, Prophet, etc, had the potential to be good and many of those characters achieved it when they got to competent writing hands like Alan Moore.

Liefeld was lucky to have created Deadpool, Cable and Domino. He was also lucky to be at the right place at the right time back in 1990. The biggest problems Rob has is his stubbornness and his ego. Every other Image partner saw their shortcomings pretty quick and the adjusted. Lee, Todd, Erik, Valentino and Silvestri saw quickly that they couldnít be writers and artist and run their studios. Rob saw that too for a quick second and then reverted to his old ways. When Rob has a writer doing the script, his work overall improves. When he has an inker, even better. The problem is that for better or worse he wants to do things his way all the time and has proven that Rob doesnít work well with others.

He has left a legacy in the industry. His artwork changed the way the industry approach doing comics. I mean, guys like Herb Trimpe changed their styles to keep working. The problem is that Rob has also left a legacy of screwing talent, screwing studios, screwing corporations and screwing himself for all the bad business deals he has done over 30 years. If he was a little humble, people would tolerate his shortcomings like not being able to draw feet, but Rob is so arrogant and short tempered that he brings all the fan hate on 💯
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-26-21)
Old 07-24-21, 01:33 PM
  #1012  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,101
Received 441 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
When I was a youngster, middle-and-high-school, I aspired to be a comic artist. I don't know how hard I worked at it per se, since I was in school at the same time, and all, but I recall very clearly that my colleagues and I (comic geeks stick together, and we all wanted to be artists), all of us made it a point of pride to be able to draw hands and feet correctly. I think anyone who wanted to MAKE A LIVING DRAWING THE HUMAN FORM, especially in a medium so focused on punching and kicking, would be duty bound to work on such things. Or they could be Liefeld.

Likewise, but I was more a fan of Jim Lee and his style and tried to develop my style to his and that didn't take. After that, I got into Bart Sears and Andy Smith's art and I took to their style. I really enjoyed drawing characters that have correct anatomy. I like seeing these fantastic make-believe characters look like they can live in the real world.
The following 3 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
ddrknghtrtns (07-24-21), John Pannozzi (07-26-21), Kurt D (07-24-21)
Old 07-24-21, 01:42 PM
  #1013  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,681
Received 277 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Likewise, but I was more a fan of Jim Lee and his style and tried to develop my style to his and that didn't take. After that, I got into Bart Sears and Andy Smith's art and I took to their style. I really enjoyed drawing characters that have correct anatomy. I like seeing these fantastic make-believe characters look like they can live in the real world.
John Byrne guy here, but I'm olddddd

The following 3 users liked this post by Kurt D:
John Pannozzi (07-26-21), Spiderbite (07-25-21), Why So Blu? (07-24-21)
Old 07-24-21, 02:21 PM
  #1014  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 26,421
Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
It's because he's popular that anyone cares. Like, is there a single other artist that the first thing people look at is whether or not they drew feet? It's kind of stupid if you ask me, and the criticisms are just as lazy as he seems to be as an artist.
I don't care that Liefeld doesn't want to draw feet. I don't even mind that he draws women with tits and ass both facing the reader, because that is a stylistic choice. What bugs me is that he doesn't know how to attach an arm to a shoulder, or a head to a neck, or a gun to a hand. He just puts body parts adjacent to each other, and sometimes they fit, and sometimes they don't.

He's a professional who shows no interest in his craft. It would be as if a popular architect never bothered to learn how to design houses that didn't leak.
Old 07-24-21, 02:49 PM
  #1015  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 18,765
Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
When I was a youngster, middle-and-high-school, I aspired to be a comic artist. I don't know how hard I worked at it per se, since I was in school at the same time, and all, but I recall very clearly that my colleagues and I (comic geeks stick together, and we all wanted to be artists), all of us made it a point of pride to be able to draw hands and feet correctly. I think anyone who wanted to MAKE A LIVING DRAWING THE HUMAN FORM, especially in a medium so focused on punching and kicking, would be duty bound to work on such things. Or they could be Liefeld.
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Likewise, but I was more a fan of Jim Lee and his style and tried to develop my style to his and that didn't take. After that, I got into Bart Sears and Andy Smith's art and I took to their style. I really enjoyed drawing characters that have correct anatomy. I like seeing these fantastic make-believe characters look like they can live in the real world.
Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
John Byrne guy here, but I'm olddddd
I also had early dreams of being a cartoonist, and my biggest influence was Don Martin (Mad Magazine). Fortunately for the world, I realized very young that I didn't have what it takes.


The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (07-24-21)
Old 07-24-21, 03:19 PM
  #1016  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 26,421
Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I also had early dreams of being a cartoonist, and my biggest influence was Don Martin (Mad Magazine). Fortunately for the world, I realized very young that I didn't have what it takes.

Youthful dreams.

I wanted to be a science fiction author. I realized that I was a better writer than some authors that got published when I was sixteen. When I was nineteen I realized that I didn't have what it takes to write good fiction.

But I've written lots of great operating procedures in my life! I've left the company, but my legacy will live on.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-26-21)
Old 07-24-21, 05:50 PM
  #1017  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,889
Likes: 0
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I don't care that Liefeld doesn't want to draw feet. I don't even mind that he draws women with tits and ass both facing the reader, because that is a stylistic choice. What bugs me is that he doesn't know how to attach an arm to a shoulder, or a head to a neck, or a gun to a hand. He just puts body parts adjacent to each other, and sometimes they fit, and sometimes they don't.

He's a professional who shows no interest in his craft. It would be as if a popular architect never bothered to learn how to design houses that didn't leak.
​​​​​ He's also a professional who's very rich and successful, so I don't think there's a whole lot of incentive there.
Old 07-24-21, 05:54 PM
  #1018  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11,169
Received 526 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
​​​​​ He's also a professional who's very rich and successful, so I don't think there's a whole lot of incentive there.
I donít think heís that rich. Itís one of the reasons he lost the rights to Youngblood.
Old 07-24-21, 07:11 PM
  #1019  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,889
Likes: 0
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I donít think heís that rich. Itís one of the reasons he lost the rights to Youngblood.
Rob's pretty active in the original art collecting hobby and participates in a couple different Facebook groups I'm in. He loves Byrne X-men (among other things) and is pretty regularly pulling down pages at auction for tens of thousands of dollars. I also see what he charges for his own original art, not to mention signings, etc. My guess is he's doing just fine for himself.
Old 07-24-21, 08:52 PM
  #1020  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,681
Received 277 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

One of those 'celebrity net worth' sites pegs him at 5 million. Not much by DVD Talk standards but not bad for your average American.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-26-21)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.