Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Old 02-26-24, 06:38 AM
  #1076  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,192
Likes: 0
Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

What is the context for this? I thought these two were on relatively friendly terms in recent years?

For what's it worth, Rob does a pretty spot on impression of McFarlane.
Old 02-26-24, 07:01 AM
  #1077  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 17,129
Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

I mean, he's not wrong. Todd making some shitty and questionable decisions with DC toys.
Old 02-26-24, 07:20 PM
  #1078  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,166
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by stingermck
I mean, he's not wrong. Todd making some shitty and questionable decisions with DC toys.
Well this got announced/solicited today:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Searc...mpany=1144&o=1

Yes, Rob Liefeld's Bloodwulf and Bloodstrike characters for 75 bucks a piece. I don't know when he said that about McFarlane but he has no leg to stand on in the "making toys" game.
Old 02-26-24, 07:30 PM
  #1079  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,204
Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Wow, Bloodwulf and Bloodstrike bring back memories. Bloodwulf was basically Liefeld ripping off DC's Lobo and Cabbot Stone was basically a Cable rip-off. Dan Fraga used to draw Bloodstrike and was a pretty good artist, but Bloodstrike was such an X-Force/X-Men rip off.



Old 02-26-24, 07:34 PM
  #1080  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,166
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

The funny thing about Cabbot Stone is that both he and his brother (in Brigade) were basically clones of Cable.

And the next question would be "why didn't he just clone Deadpool" but the fact of the matter is that Deadpool didn't really gain in popularity until way after Liefeld's time with him.
Old 02-27-24, 12:09 AM
  #1081  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 43,905
Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by fujishig
The funny thing about Cabbot Stone is that both he and his brother (in Brigade) were basically clones of Cable.

And the next question would be "why didn't he just clone Deadpool" but the fact of the matter is that Deadpool didn't really gain in popularity until way after Liefeld's time with him.
Black Cable


Pigtail Cable


Ponytail Cable


Superman Cable


Lobo Cable


Deadpool Cable





The following 3 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
ntnon (03-08-24), Obi-Wanma (02-27-24), VHS? (02-27-24)
Old 02-27-24, 07:27 AM
  #1082  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,192
Likes: 0
Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by fujishig
The funny thing about Cabbot Stone is that both he and his brother (in Brigade) were basically clones of Cable.

And the next question would be "why didn't he just clone Deadpool" but the fact of the matter is that Deadpool didn't really gain in popularity until way after Liefeld's time with him.
That's a little bit of revisionist history with regards to Deadpool. He may not have been nearly as popular as he is today, but he was pretty darn popular in the beginning. The legend goes that Marvel got so much positive feedback after his first appearance that they wanted him in X-Force #1, but the issue was already in progress and he couldn't be included. So instead he was added as a trading card and his return was hyped up in X-Force #2. I think he appeared in roughly half the issues in X-Force's first year.

As for Deadpool clones, there was that one chick in Brigade that had the red body suit and dual swords. And Die Hard from Youngblood was pretty much just a palette swapped Deadpool, even if the characters otherwise didn't really have much on common.
Old 02-27-24, 10:20 AM
  #1083  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,204
Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Supreme was actually fun when it started out since Liefeld only wrote that, but once Alan Moore starting writing it, it was great.

I used to also read Brigade. I met the artist that drew that - Marat Michaels at a convention - very nice guy.

The one thing I will always give credit to Image for is that they revolutionized the coloring of their books. They actually added depth and used photoshop to enhance the artwork. Marvel and DC just used flat one-shade coloring.
Old 02-27-24, 12:02 PM
  #1084  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,166
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by rocket1312
That's a little bit of revisionist history with regards to Deadpool. He may not have been nearly as popular as he is today, but he was pretty darn popular in the beginning. The legend goes that Marvel got so much positive feedback after his first appearance that they wanted him in X-Force #1, but the issue was already in progress and he couldn't be included. So instead he was added as a trading card and his return was hyped up in X-Force #2. I think he appeared in roughly half the issues in X-Force's first year.

As for Deadpool clones, there was that one chick in Brigade that had the red body suit and dual swords. And Die Hard from Youngblood was pretty much just a palette swapped Deadpool, even if the characters otherwise didn't really have much on common.
He aped the design but not the Spider-man like quips for whatever reason.
Old 02-27-24, 12:21 PM
  #1085  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,204
Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Yeah, the Diehard character was pretty much a Deadpool clone minus being a clown.
Old 02-27-24, 12:54 PM
  #1086  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 17,129
Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well this got announced/solicited today:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Searc...mpany=1144&o=1

Yes, Rob Liefeld's Bloodwulf and Bloodstrike characters for 75 bucks a piece. I don't know when he said that about McFarlane but he has no leg to stand on in the "making toys" game.
Not to defend Rob, but that's standard price for Executive Replica figures. They produce very niche figures like Rocketeer, Shi, Heavy Metal, etc.
Old 02-27-24, 01:07 PM
  #1087  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,166
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by stingermck
Not to defend Rob, but that's standard price for Executive Replica figures. They produce very niche figures like Rocketeer, Shi, Heavy Metal, etc.
Right, but he licensed it out to them, so it's not like he's making affordable figures of his own designs or anything. Still not sure if the McFarlane impersonation is a good natured rib or where it actually came from.
Old 02-28-24, 03:42 AM
  #1088  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 43,905
Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, the Diehard character was pretty much a Deadpool clone minus being a clown.
I never really thought of Diehard as being a Deadpool clone. I always figured he knock-off G. I. Joe's Snake Eyes.




Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.