Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Spider-man 'One More Day' Thread - WARNING: NO Spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 01:59 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the stupidest thing Marvel has ever intentionally done.

Slott is a fine writer but I hope BND crashes and burns so Spiderman is fixed in short order.
Old 01-04-08, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Joe Q was worried that the fans couldn't relate with Peter because he was married with a teaching career and had a hot red headed super model at his side.

So he makes it so that Peter's some 30 year old living in his aunts house and is unemployed.

Ouch Joe.. Ouch.

I wonder if the devil also took his maturity as any mature person when asked that during an interview for a job would not answer "this and that"

What a complete waste.
Old 01-04-08, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlud
Slott is a fine writer but I hope BND crashes and burns so Spiderman is fixed in short order.
That's the one thing I think is a true crime about this. Much like Peter David's last run on Spidey, Slott is starting in a bad way and is going to have to work uphill to bring fans back. As I said, I don't care about Spidey, but Slott can do no wrong, so I'll be reading the book because of him. Even those preview pages seem like the book will be fun.

It's a shame that OMD has left such a bad taste in so many peoples mouths right before Slott began on his highest profile book.
Old 01-04-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jeebus! I used to be a die-hard Spidey fan back in the day. At one point I owned every issue of Amazing from 90-400 or so. I've seen the numerous Goblins, Black Cat saga, Black costume, Clones, etc.

This has to be the WORST storyline in the history of the character. Breaking up his marriage is one thing, but to make him younger AND living with his Aunt again??!!! WTF!!
Old 01-05-08, 12:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DarthVong
This has to be the WORST storyline in the history of the character. Breaking up his marriage is one thing, but to make him younger AND living with his Aunt again??!!! WTF!!

OMD was horrible, but I would still rank the Sins Past debacle with
Spoiler:
Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborne having an affair, and Gwen having his kids
as worse than OMD.
Old 01-05-08, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well, what the interviews had it as, JMS wanted them to be peter's kids.

And even as much as that story was terrible... This one is far worse.
Old 01-05-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Here's a way fixing things or a possibility of what's happening. Peters in a "poket universe" or dream since prior to Civil War. The other Spiderman that revealed his identity to the public during Civil War is a Skrull. Maybe even the dead Captain America is a Skrull.

We have the Skrull invasion coming up. When that ends it will reveal who is a skrull and who is not. It could be revealed to the public that the spiderman that revealed himself was a skrull and nort really Peter Parker, thus giving Peter his secret identity back when Peter leaves the "pocket universe" of "Brand New Day/ One More Day". Although he would always be under scritiny from everyone after that. And this would be a way to bring the real Captain America "back to life"
Old 01-05-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 351 Posts
Personally, I think Joe Quesadilla is a skrull - that's the only explanation I have for the way he's fucking up Marvel.
Old 01-05-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or they could have just had Mary Jane be a skrull for the entire time that they were married. The real Mary Jane being stashed away somewhere and could then return to date Peter. But they already did that with the Human Torch's marriage.
Old 01-05-08, 11:40 AM
Banned

It would be funny if Aunt May turned out to be a skrull. Then Peter will have given up his marriage and life and it wasn't even his real aunt.
Old 01-05-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't why you people keep spending money, esp. when these are scanned online for free. LOL!
Old 01-05-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Knives
I don't why you people keep spending money, esp. when these are scanned online for free. LOL!

With two of the major sites down, that options getting harder to come by.

Old 01-05-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can't take your desktop to the can with you to read.

Either way, if you're downloading them, it's not like your voice( dollar) is heard for either Good or Bad stories

The issue here isn't what folks are spending their money on and it's pointless to bring up CBR's and the new wave of marketing/selling comics. The issue here is that a story arc sucks.
Old 01-05-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I also haven't really been following Spider-man much since around the clone saga, which was more than 10 years ago. But my first Spider-man book was back in 1975, and I was following him pretty closely until the mid-'90s and having that sort of investment in a character's history shit on is pretty insulting to me.

Or, IOW, Joe Quesada raped my childhood...
Old 01-06-08, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Can't take your desktop to the can with you to read.

Either way, if you're downloading them, it's not like your voice( dollar) is heard for either Good or Bad stories

The issue here isn't what folks are spending their money on and it's pointless to bring up CBR's and the new wave of marketing/selling comics. The issue here is that a story arc sucks.
Sure you can Jack! It's called a PSP or DS.

The problem is when the new writers try to rewrite history, or act like it's never happened. It happens with Spiderman, Batman, Hulk, Avengers, ect. ect. They should just end the story after 500 issues or less.

Only buy story arcs from good writers!

Last edited by Knives; 01-06-08 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
I also haven't really been following Spider-man much since around the clone saga, which was more than 10 years ago. But my first Spider-man book was back in 1975, and I was following him pretty closely until the mid-'90s and having that sort of investment in a character's history shit on is pretty insulting to me.

Or, IOW, Joe Quesada raped my childhood...
Clone Wars was pretty F'd up, and it still continues with this one.
Old 01-07-08, 06:11 AM
Banned

Sure you can Jack! It's called a PSP or DS.
Reading comics on a 3" screen? You must be fucking kidding.
Old 01-07-08, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, sorry, I'd rather drop the couple of bucks on a single issue, especially since I get them for about half of cover price anyway, than try reading an issue on a 3'' screen.

I do vote with my wallet. I didn't buy one more day, if that tells you anything. But I'm not going to say "DOWNLOAD EVERYTHING!" cause there's a lot of titles that are worth the support they justly need to stay afloat.

Then again, there's the issues that are actually good even after years of issues. Current Batman title is great and that's in the 500's. So it's not a matter of having to start all over to get a good story going. All it takes is a good writer.
Old 01-07-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Yeah, sorry, I'd rather drop the couple of bucks on a single issue, especially since I get them for about half of cover price anyway, than try reading an issue on a 3'' screen.

I do vote with my wallet. I didn't buy one more day, if that tells you anything. But I'm not going to say "DOWNLOAD EVERYTHING!" cause there's a lot of titles that are worth the support they justly need to stay afloat.

Then again, there's the issues that are actually good even after years of issues. Current Batman title is great and that's in the 500's. So it's not a matter of having to start all over to get a good story going. All it takes is a good writer.
There is a very large community of people who download for two very legitimate, legal reasons:

1. They cannot visit their comic shops on a weekly - or even monthly - basis and therefore want to read comics as soon as they come out.

2. They do not want to damage their comics or have to sift through a huge collection in order to re-read their favorite stories.

I fall into both categories. I own legit copies of everything I read.

Outside of the comic community, however, it's nothing more than a curiosity, and a passing interest. So there's no real money lost there.
Old 01-07-08, 11:32 AM

But you know you are in the minority. Most people who download have no intention of buying. It's like downloading an album to "sample" it before you buy it. Downloading scans is illegal and discussion of it should not be included here.

I enjoyed the first few pages of BND by Slott and look forward to buying and reading it.
Old 01-07-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
There is a very large community of people who download for two very legitimate, legal reasons:

1. They cannot visit their comic shops on a weekly - or even monthly - basis and therefore want to read comics as soon as they come out.

2. They do not want to damage their comics or have to sift through a huge collection in order to re-read their favorite stories.

Outside of the comic community, however, it's nothing more than a curiosity, and a passing interest. So there's no real money lost there.
This is getting sidetracked, but I'm not sure option number 1 is a "valid" reason, unless, like you, they also buy the comic. Sorry, I know that comic books are expensive and they may not be worth the price to most people, but promoting "free" pirated scans is a great way to further hurt an already flailing industry. Will the people who are getting these for "free" really be inclined to spend money for the books once the quality gets better? (my issue is not with you, Superboy, mainly with the post that basically said "why buy when you can pirate?")

And people get mad at me for not supporting monthly books and waiting/buying the collections instead...
Old 01-07-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy

"There Will Be Blood" is in limited release, and I just can't make it to the theater to see it, so I'll download it - but it's okay, since I plan on buying the dvd (if I like the movie...).
Old 01-07-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They cannot visit their comic shops on a weekly - or even monthly - basis and therefore want to read comics as soon as they come out.
Because there isn't monthly services that get you comics delivered to your home?

Either way, you purchasing or not purchasing does effect the comic industry because unlike television, the amount of units sold is effected by every person who buys an issue. Store owners order fewer copies of those not sold because of downloaders and that gets reported back to diamond and the comic companies and they are either canceled or made by the readership.

Nextwave for example was canned because it sold well, but not well enough to keep both writer and artist paid for.

This is the biggest issue with choosing to wait for a trade. But at least in that situation they still get a sells number for how many trades are sold to base how many folks wait for those. With downloading, there's no accounting for how many readers there is and most of all, no profit from those who are downloading only.
Old 01-07-08, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
"There Will Be Blood" is in limited release, and I just can't make it to the theater to see it, so I'll download it - but it's okay, since I plan on buying the dvd (if I like the movie...).
How about...you pre-paid for the DVD and you're waiting for it to arrive?

And yes, while having a service to deliver to your house is convenient, getting weekly deliveries is expensive. And it's perfectly legal in california to own scans of what you legally own. I've already paid for my comics in advance so i think that it's just a matter of time for me.

And yes, like all industries, downloading hurts the comic industry. But at the same time, it should be taken advantage of by publishers by legitimizing it. Take iTunes for example - hugely successful. And Marvel's online comic sub is a small success, but should really pave the way for the future of comics - cutting out the printing process can make comics cheaper and they can reach a wider audience. See ya, scrambling over small print runs. Sayonara, speculator industry. Bye bye, long boxes.
Old 01-08-08, 12:35 AM

Some people download so they know which story arcs are worth buying.

It's good to know before buying something like ONE MORE DAY where the writer is on crack.

Last edited by Knives; 01-08-08 at 12:46 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.