Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

San Diego ComiCon 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
For those who were planning on getting a Saturday pass, they are close to selling out. They will NOT be selling Saturday passes on site. You have to do it online.
Old 07-20-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Hey, I heard that Fox pulled out of their panel on Friday. Word is they didn't have their movie clips ready. Jack, anything you know about this?
After showing Borat last year, I figured something like this might happen...

Fox a no-show at Comic-Con
Family focus knocks studio out of confab
By MARC GRASER, MARC GRASER, PETER GILSTRAP
Fox had planned to push pix such as 'Alien vs. Predator 2' at comic-con, but organizers considered the content to be too violent.

Hollywood's gearing up to make its annual trek down to San Diego's Comic-Con to court the geeks with its wares-- but count Fox out.

Just one week before the confab kicks off Thursday, the studio has decided to cancel its presentation at the show, saying that footage it wanted to show for several of its pics next Friday just isn't ready.

Company's homevid division and genre arm Fox Atomic will still be present at the confab.

Studio had planned to push "Alien vs. Predator 2," "Hitman," "Jumper," "Babylon A.D.," "The Dark Is Rising" and "City of Ember."

But the real problem is that Comic-Con organizers considered planned montages from "AVP" and "Hitman" too violent to show to the increasing number of families and children that show up for the convention these days.

"AVP" and "Hitman" are both R-rated pics, and if Fox wasn't going to be able to impress young males -- the target demo for both -- with violent material, then it didn't want to show anything at all, sources close to the situation at the studio said.

Last year, the studio produced a panel for "Borat," during which it showed footage with nudity from the film. Studio received flak for the move and opted not to tone down what it would have shown this year.

What's more, the pics Fox wanted to promote are all f/x-intensive, with many of the money shots not yet complete.

Nearly 120,000 people are expected to attend Comic-Con over its four-day run. The confab has established itself as a place where studios unveil the first looks at projects they want fanboys to buzz about among their friends and online.

But while it traditionally catered to young men, the event has recently become more family-friendly -- and so have the pics the studios are hyping there.

This year's panels include comedies "Superbad" and "Get Smart" and fantasy fare such as "The Golden Compass," "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" and Pixar's "Wall-E."

"We want to make sure when we show something, we can go forward with our best foot," one source said. "We'll serve no wine before it's time. You only get one chance down there in a room with 6,000 fans to say, 'Here we are.' You want to blow them away."

Fox's last-minute pullout from the confab is a rare move for studios. But while every other major in Hollywood is represented, not every major project will be.

Warner Bros. won't use Comic-Con to present "The Dark Knight" or its highly anticipated "I Am Legend," for example.
Old 07-20-07, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yet, they love to have Kevin Smith show up.
Old 07-20-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the variety article try to lump "Superbad" into "family-friendly" fare? That's one of the most vulgar (and funny) R-rated movies of the year.
Old 07-20-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds lame if true. The main point of Comic-Con is to appeal to comics based groups (i.e. young men). And comics are violent themselves. Maybe they could have an "'R" rated section for those kinds of things, or just warn everyone up front. It seems better to have the real comic related material (i.e. Batman) then to try and appease families with family friendly material unrelated to comics (i.e. Get Smart).
Old 07-20-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For any "Happy Tree Friends" fans...

Kenn Navarro (co-creator) of Happy Tree Friends will be signing Wobblers etc.. at the Funko booth(#4929) at 1pm on Friday!!!
Old 07-20-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
Sounds lame if true. The main point of Comic-Con is to appeal to comics based groups (i.e. young men). And comics are violent themselves. Maybe they could have an "'R" rated section for those kinds of things, or just warn everyone up front. It seems better to have the real comic related material (i.e. Batman) then to try and appease families with family friendly material unrelated to comics (i.e. Get Smart).
There has never really been a problem with some blue material from the likes of Kevin Smith, etc. But I thought FOX pushed the envelope last year. It's one thing to see Snyder's 300 or QT/RR's Grindhouse directors trailers (not approved by MPAA yet nor red banded), but FOX took things way too far and showed the Borat/Azamat hotel fight uncut in its entirety.

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-20-07 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-21-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Someone's just hating on Borat. Then again I remember you saying the same thing last year after that panel.

I think that WB not planning to show anything Dark Knight is really stupid though. I mean, family friendly aside.. IT'S FUCK'N COMIC CON! That's what this stuff was made for.
Old 07-21-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, for those going to Hooters before Preview Night, I'll be in a group of 3 or 4. I'll be wearing a black t-shirt with a large silver Spider-Man (sideways) on the front. My buddy Mike will probably also be wearing a Spidey t-shirt. We'll also have our Comic-Con bags, 'natch. I think we're gonna pick up badges around 3:30, so we'll be at Hooters right after we get our badges in our hot little hands.

We're mere days away! Hell, we might as well start counting the hours.
Old 07-21-07, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, for those going to Hooters before Preview Night.

I'll be there !
Old 07-21-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mr. Sulu George Takei will be there on Sat at the Diamond select booth.
http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/article.asp?ai=58066
Old 07-22-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saturday is now sold out!
Old 07-22-07, 11:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Kudama
I searched ComiCon, so …sue me if I missed it.
Maybe in the Comic Talk subforum....

San Diego Comic Con Roll Call
Old 07-22-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If u guys hear of any signings/appearances at any of the exhibitor booth's please post the info here please.
Old 07-22-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Will do.

I've recently learned to carefully read the "Around The Booths" section of the Events Guide. Good place for info about special booth-only signings. In addition, the ads sprinkled throughtout the guide will also mention appearances.
Old 07-22-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Just looking at Comic-Con's schedule of events ( http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci07_prog_thu.php ) - I am envious! Dragon*Con here in Atlanta is great but it doesn't come even close to being this good!!
Old 07-22-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dhmac
Just looking at Comic-Con's schedule of events ( http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci07_prog_thu.php ) - I am envious! Dragon*Con here in Atlanta is great but it doesn't come even close to being this good!!
Yes, but it's TOO good since one has to miss some really good stuff due to better stuff.
Old 07-23-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ILikeDVD
Mr. Sulu George Takei will be there on Sat at the Diamond select booth.
http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/article.asp?ai=58066
Oh my!

He's also the official announcer of the Howard Stern show.
Old 07-23-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For those interested, they'll have a full scale Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean. The local news showed the ship traveling down the freeway from L.A. On the side was a banner that said "Comic-Con or Bust". Now that would've been cool to see while driving.
Old 07-23-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those interested, they'll have a full scale Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean. The local news showed the ship traveling down the freeway from L.A. On the side was a banner that said "Comic-Con or Bust". Now that would've been cool to see while driving.
Can't find them delivering it, but you can watch it being built.

Part 1

Part 2

Old 07-23-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice find!

The local news just showed another spot about it arriving. They showed it outside and then inside the convention center. It'll be on top of a rock display and they'll have costumes and stuff from the movies.
Old 07-24-07, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thats cool. Man its gettin close and all this info is tiring me out just like when im actually there. I hope Jessica Alba is signng. I know Robert Downey Jr is for IRON MAN at the Marvel Comics booth
Old 07-24-07, 01:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kudama
I searched ComiCon, so …sue me if I missed it. 05-31-07, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by benedict
Maybe in the Comic Talk subforum....

San Diego Comic Con Roll Call 06-28-07, 12:43 PM
Oops. Missed that future search function.
Old 07-24-07, 01:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ILikeDVD
thats cool. Man its gettin close and all this info is tiring me out just like when im actually there. I hope Jessica Alba is signng. I know Robert Downey Jr is for IRON MAN at the Marvel Comics booth
Apparently Ed Norton and Tim Roth are down for the Incredible Hulk. Just Like Natalie Portman last year: strings of film fans with no comics interest asking the same fucking questions thirteen times in a a row. Mr. Norton, how did you train for Fight Club and American History X? Mr Downey Jr, What was it like recovering from alcohol and drugs?

This I guarantee. They don't want to hear the answer. They want to be the ones to mimic the same questions over and over and over...

Anyone who was at the V panel in Hall H has to remember poor Ms. Portman re-answering the same question 13 different ways not to make these fuckers look so moranic.
Old 07-24-07, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone going could get me a Happy Tree Friends wobbler signed, I would gladly pay you for the trouble. Pretty please?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.