Captain America #25 (HEAVY SPOILERS)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Captain America #25 (HEAVY SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-07, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with madcougar. However, i'm just pissed at Marvel and this whole Civil War mess.

I will say that this issue was fantastic. Brubaker took smelly, maggot-infested lemons and made some lemonade that will make chills run through your body.

Though, I really wish it wasn't spoiled for me..
Old 03-08-07, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Sigh

I think this is part that bothers me most:

For a superhero many thought perfect, it was perhaps a fatal flaw for "Cap," as he became known.

"He hasn't been living in the modern world and the world does move," says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Queseda.
Wow, You know what would make a great Captain America story? if he felt totally lost and disillusioned with America because he's literally a man out of time! wow! it's not like they've been writing him like this for the past 40 years!

And oh my, Cap is dead! he's never, ever coming back guys, so don't prepare yourself for the upcoming storyline (that's never going to happen) where he doesn't make a triumphant return to comics in a newly fashioned incarnation that blends all his old and new qualities!
Old 03-08-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
I agree with madcougar. However, i'm just pissed at Marvel and this whole Civil War mess.

I will say that this issue was fantastic. Brubaker took smelly, maggot-infested lemons and made some lemonade that will make chills run through your body.

Though, I really wish it wasn't spoiled for me..

That's what I don't get. I've seen a lot of crying online on various message boards about #25, when in fact the issue was great. It should be a law to have Brubaker right Cap for as long as he lives. And does anyone, anyone, actually think Cap is going to stay dead for any real length of time?

It's times like this that I wish Marvel had legacy heroes like DC because I would like to see Bucky take up the mantle.
Old 03-08-07, 06:00 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
The point is that Cap's ideal of America does not exist anymore. He still thinks that he's fighting for the Beaver Cleaver family.
That's nonsense. Captain America stands for core values like freedom, liberty, and equality. That's what America is about. It's not about MySpace or Starbucks. Even if we assume he doesn't know about these things -- and to say he doesn't is very inconsistent with the way Cap is traditional portrayed, which is as a man out of time, but a man who is fascinated with all that is new about the world in which he has awoken -- even if we assume he doesn't know about MySpace and Starbucks, so what? The Captain America of 2007 should not stand for those things any more than the Captain America of 1940 stood for the Lindy and the Jack Benny Show.
Old 03-08-07, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Crap! I didn't know about this until this thread.
Old 03-08-07, 06:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Crap! I didn't know about this until this thread.
Better hurry up and buy NOW! Pricing are quite high right now and probably gonna go higher for right now..
Old 03-08-07, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Lives were not in danger with your spoilers.
Are you kidding? I was driving along the highway blackberry in one hand, hot coffee in the other, on a conference call with work via a cellphone headset when I heard the news.

I almost hit a deer!
Old 03-08-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Sigh. Too bad for the people who regularly collect this title but don't have a pull list. They'll have to wait for the 2nd print or trade. At least the speculators had a chance to get it.
Sessa, if you are reading this, do you think the LCSs will be blamed for ordering too few of the issue?
Old 03-08-07, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by exharrison
Sessa, if you are reading this, do you think the LCSs will be blamed for ordering too few of the issue?
Absolutely NOT! The LCS is not to blame for the shortage of issues yesterday...My LCS had no idea what was going to happen in this issue, they told me there was no hints from Marvel and no advance copies were received. This madness is 100% MARVEL's fault. If you look at Ebay Wizard Universe must have ordered thousands of copies so they knew what was going on. If I was a small LCS I would be extremely pissed right now....
Old 03-08-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Just checked Ebay, auctions for 1 copy og each cover, are going over the $100 mark. your right though, this came out of nowhere, I remember Supes death hyped for a few weeks before hand. Must resist urge to read.....wait for reprint.....
Old 03-08-07, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
Just checked Ebay, auctions for 1 copy og each cover, are going over the $100 mark. your right though, this came out of nowhere, I remember Supes death hyped for a few weeks before hand. Must resist urge to read.....wait for reprint.....
I am pretty sure Marvel is going to blast a 2nd printing very fast....They have to, unless they are allowing the LCS to reorder this week...
Old 03-08-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wildo, I bet dollars to donuts that they overprinted BIG TIME on this issue and more issues will be in shops next week.

I think it's a shame that Marvel didn't over ship on this and make the book returnable or something. A lot of money was left on the table.
Old 03-08-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
Absolutely NOT! The LCS is not to blame for the shortage of issues yesterday...My LCS had no idea what was going to happen in this issue, they told me there was no hints from Marvel and no advance copies were received. This madness is 100% MARVEL's fault. If you look at Ebay Wizard Universe must have ordered thousands of copies so they knew what was going on. If I was a small LCS I would be extremely pissed right now....
I didn't ask if they were to blame. I was asking if he thought they would be blamed. My LCS guys thought that customers would get pissed because they didn't order enough comics. And they said that Marvel was sold out and couldn't ship any more. No clue as to whether that is true, or just them attempting to get more publicity time.
Old 03-08-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps Marvel knew exactly what they were doing and wanted to make a "hot" book that was way underordered. Those fans who buy it month to month by preordering are getting a little something back?
Old 03-08-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^I'm a bit too skeptical and jaded to believe they did it to give back to fans.
Old 03-08-07, 09:23 AM
Banned

From what I am hearing right now it looks like NO REORDERS on this book. Whatever was released yesterday it all there is, at least for first prints...
I also saw that the Wizard show in LA this weekend has an exclusive variant of Captain America #25. Watch the madness on that one next week!
Personally I think Marvel and Wizard Universe should be ashamed of themselves. They both knew what was going to happen yesterday and the small LSC got screwed over bigtime..Check the finished auctions on Ebay and see how copies Wizard Universe sold yesterday alone for an average of $12.50 EACH. Remember Wizard Universe paid less than $2 per issue....Marvel and Wizard should have alot of explaining to do, especially to the small LCS who looked like the bad guys yesterday....BOO MARVEL
Old 03-08-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My LCS was good enough to save me an issue for my pull list, even though he could probably sell it for like $100 right now.
Old 03-08-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I am hearing right now it looks like NO REORDERS on this book. Whatever was released yesterday it all there is, at least for first prints...
I also saw that the Wizard show in LA this weekend has an exclusive variant of Captain America #25. Watch the madness on that one next week!
Personally I think Marvel and Wizard Universe should be ashamed of themselves. They both knew what was going to happen yesterday and the small LSC got screwed over bigtime..Check the finished auctions on Ebay and see how copies Wizard Universe sold yesterday alone for an average of $12.50 EACH. Remember Wizard Universe paid less than $2 per issue....Marvel and Wizard should have alot of explaining to do, especially to the small LCS who looked like the bad guys yesterday....BOO MARVEL
Is that normal for an issue? I was under the impression that mainstream titles had a print run large enough to cover the normal orders and then some inventory for a reorder.
Old 03-08-07, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by exharrison
Is that normal for an issue? I was under the impression that mainstream titles had a print run large enough to cover the normal orders and then some inventory for a reorder.
From what I know Marvel has not been over-printing their books the last few years. Sales of comics have been bad lately so Marvel has not been making more than they can sell. I do not know own a comic shop so I am not positive. The impression I got yesterday was that 2nd printing were coming soon...
Old 03-08-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superboy
My LCS was good enough to save me an issue for my pull list, even though he could probably sell it for like $100 right now.
I called my LCS and asked them to drop one in my box even though it's not on my pull list. They said they'd be glad to. I picked up my books yesterday and there it was! I've spent thousands of dollars there over the years of course, but damn if they don't know how to build up good will. It's little things like this that have kept me from buying my books online.
Old 03-08-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I know Marvel has not been over-printing their books the last few years. Sales of comics have been bad lately so Marvel has not been making more than they can sell. I do not know own a comic shop so I am not positive. The impression I got yesterday was that 2nd printing were coming soon...
Well, I know the owner of my LCS makes reorders all the time. And I know that some of them had been Marvel before, Exiles being a title I remember specifically. I had just thought that was a normal thing for mainstream titles. I very well could be wrong, though. Sessa is the guy who would have some insight on this though.

Last edited by exharrison; 03-08-07 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-08-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Well 1 ebay auction just ended at $202 for 1 copy of each cover. Madness...

Another guy has auctions for copies, but states:

"PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A PRESALE FOR OUR REPLACEMENT SHIPMENT OF FIRST PRINTS ON 3/21 & 3/28 . These are guaranteed from a direct purchase with our distributor but will not be released until the 21st (this is most likely due to timing with the Wizard World LA show and having enough product for the show ). "

Who knows if that will happen.

Trying not to look at single copies for around $30....
Old 03-08-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

$202?!? That's crazy.
Old 03-08-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I thought the speculative market died more than 10 years ago.

I hope this doesn't set another precedent and make the companies put out "events" instead of stories with characters - though I guess they've been on that road for a while now...
Old 03-08-07, 10:36 AM
Banned

Wizard Universe has cornered the market on Ebay, it only makes sense they will have plenty of stock for their show this weekend, how convenient....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.