Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Captain America #25 (HEAVY SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrhan, we was just givin' ya a hard time. Lives were not in danger with your spoilers.

As for the eBay prices, I'm so off of collecting right now, I don't even want to hassle with going to the comic shop to buy this issue. It's all about the story for me these days, and I can read the story in one whole once the trade is collected.
Old 03-07-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These sudden BUZZ books are one of the main reasons the single floppy issue format will continue to live a long and healthy life.
Old 03-07-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Superheroes have died and returned back to life with greater dependability that Jesus. At least Marvel waited nearly twenty years to pull this gimmick following Superman's own death.

--- Edited to correct some horrendous grammar ---

Last edited by DieselsDen; 03-07-07 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Superheroes have died and returned back to life with greater dependancy that Jesus.
WTF?

Old 03-07-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
*Yawn* I'm so sick of the hype over Civil War, and I even sort of liked the main miniseries. But it's just absurd now.
Old 03-07-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Sigh

I think this is part that bothers me most:

For a superhero many thought perfect, it was perhaps a fatal flaw for "Cap," as he became known.

"He hasn't been living in the modern world and the world does move," says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Queseda.

Oh. OK. Lets not write him in better stories, thats just too much of a challenge, killing him is so much easier and leads to more bank for Marvel. Now, more than ever, it feels like Civil War was just a big $hit on Cap.

Anyway, Newsarama is blowing up with coverage, and here's the latest, complete with spoilers for "Fallen Son"

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=104091

Spoilers for the issue from Wiki:

Spoiler:
In Captain America #25, Steve Rogers is shot in the shoulder, chest, and stomach by a sniper on his way up the steps to Federal Court. In the ensuing crowd chaos, he is shot three times with a shotgun, and later appears to die of his injuries. It is later revealed that the plan was orchestrated by the Red Skull; the sniper was Crossbones, and Sharon Carter, under a hypnotic suggestion by Dr.Faustus, was the person who had shot Rogers in the stomach.

Oh well, back to Max and DCU

Last edited by stingermck; 03-07-07 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 02:53 PM

Is one cover better than the other? I stopped collecting comics a loong time ago. Not really sure which one I prefer, so since personal taste isn't a factor maybe you guys would know who's the "better" artist or whatever.

Edit -- N/M, picked up the dead cover rather than the one with him running toward you. Thought it was more fitting.

No luck retail, fwiw.

Last edited by yecul; 03-07-07 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was put off by the female reporter's rant in the middle of Frontline 11. I guess she's trying to make a point that Steve Rogers has lost touch with humanity because he doesn't have a My Space or some crap like that. Huh? So I'm now to assume that Peter Parker has time to blog on My Space at watch Kimbo Slice's latest fight on You Tube? Seriously?

They're super heroes bitch! They're not 12 year old girls.

I guess that's the new company line: "He was expendable because he wasn't really part of this modern world."

Let's just forget the fact he spent his life saving it over and over. A sad day for Marvel Comics.

Amazingly, the same argument (iconic hero whom the world has passed by) was probably had at DC a few years ago and they came up with Action Comics 775 , perhaps my favorite Superman story ever.

Last edited by madcougar; 03-07-07 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 03:16 PM
Banned

People are paying $30 each for this issue on Ebay.....It is crazy and I think it may get worse....There is simply not enough copies out there for sale...Forget getting it at retail...
Old 03-07-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. What was the last book to catch fire this quickly?
Old 03-07-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
mrhan, we was just givin' ya a hard time. Lives were not in danger with your spoilers.

Yeah, I know. It's cool. I just thought I'd post it since I thought people here might be interested in what the media is saying about it. Funny thing is I haven't bought any recent comic books in ten years. I stick to golden age and silver age collecting nowadays. However, I'm going to pick this up just to see how they resolve it.
Old 03-07-07, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Wow. What was the last book to catch fire this quickly?
The last comic I recall that had this much madness was Superman #75 the death of Superman...People went crazy for that book!

Last edited by Wildo1966; 03-08-07 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 04:17 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

my mouth is just on the floor.

i just bought the comic online from East Coast Comics. Hopefully i will get it.

Last edited by wlj; 03-07-07 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 05:11 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildo1966
The last comic I recall that had this much madness was Superman #25 the death of Superman...People went crazy for that book!
[nerd]Superman #75 was the death issue, not Superman #25.[/nerd]
Old 03-07-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My LCS was totally sold out of it at 2pm, which is just amazing. They usually overorder on most titles and they were still sold out 3 hours after the store opened, so there will probably be a big resale market for this issue. It also means a second printing will be forthcoming shortly. I hope to find a copy at another comic shop near me tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful.
Old 03-07-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe they'll bring him back with a mullet like they tried to do with Superman? (Anybody care to photoshop Brock Samson from the Venture Bros into a Captain America outfit?)
Old 03-07-07, 08:39 PM

Luckily my LCS had a copy in stock, I got the last one (Thanks to the fact that my totally-awesome neighbor works there). However I had the surprise spoiled by this thread's former title and a few scattered lines in "The Initiative" which I stupidly-read first.

Still, amazing. I skimmed it, and really need to go back. And then buy the Winter Soldier arcs.
Old 03-07-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
I was put off by the female reporter's rant in the middle of Frontline 11. I guess she's trying to make a point that Steve Rogers has lost touch with humanity because he doesn't have a My Space or some crap like that. Huh? So I'm now to assume that Peter Parker has time to blog on My Space at watch Kimbo Slice's latest fight on You Tube? Seriously?
I think you missed something, because she made a great point to Steve. She wasn't really saying that he should *have* a MySpace (although old-timers like myself will remember back when Cap did have a computer network set up where he could receive tips from all over the country). She was saying that he still acts like this is the 1940's. He claims to represent America, but in reality the America he represents has been gone a long time, and has been replaced by a new society with new values... so how can he claim to represent it if he doesn't understand it? How can he protect its people if he doesn't understand them?

The version of Cap in The Ultimates (when they can bother to put an issue out) portrays this flaw much better.
Old 03-07-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I think you missed something, because she made a great point to Steve. She wasn't really saying that he should *have* a MySpace (although old-timers like myself will remember back when Cap did have a computer network set up where he could receive tips from all over the country). She was saying that he still acts like this is the 1940's. He claims to represent America, but in reality the America he represents has been gone a long time, and has been replaced by a new society with new values... so how can he claim to represent it if he doesn't understand it? How can he protect its people if he doesn't understand them?

The version of Cap in The Ultimates (when they can bother to put an issue out) portrays this flaw much better.
No I understood what the reporter was saying just fine. My point is he HAS TO understand our society to defend it? Isn't our society still based on the basic premise that our forefathers established? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Everything else is just decoration.

So what if he doesn't understand our society? I don't understand why my daughter will JUST DIE! if I won't pay for up to 1,000 text messages a month, but that doesn't mean I can't be her father. The argument is flawed in my book.

I understand these are funny books. I really do. But if an invasion from outer space occurred and Grandpa Simpson saved the day, I wouldn't be resentful of the fact he doesn't share the same fascination I do for videos of guys getting kicked in the nuts on You Tube. I'd kiss his sweet ass for preventing Kang and Kodos from making me their bitch.
Old 03-07-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildo1966
People are paying $30 each for this issue on Ebay.....It is crazy and I think it may get worse....There is simply not enough copies out there for sale...Forget getting it at retail...
Superman #75 was going for $50 or more when it first came out. Now it goes for about $5 if you can even sell it. Don't buy this as an investment or as acolectible right away. Once the hype is over the price will plummit.
Old 03-07-07, 10:45 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
For those of you who are familiar with the Don and Mike show (a popular Washington DC-based radio show), they spoke to Ed Brubaker today. Here's how they wrote it up in their show's daily log:

Don is crushed, Captain America is dead. He was killed off in the latest comic. Mike is making fun of Don...he might have to leave the room. Don is looking for someone to explain if this is just a ploy, or did they really kill him. Now the guys are arguing about what constitutes animation. Mike is expressing his condolences to Don. Our friend Patton Oswalt is huge comic book fan, maybe we can get him on the phone to help clear this all up. Don had a letter published in a Batman comic, and he was trying to buy it on Ebay, and he was getting outbid. Lets welcome Patton Oswalt to the show. Patton out nerded us, he called the guy who writes the Captain America comics to get the info. Now Don and Patton have gone deep into the basement of the science building on us. Patton says that you can't kill off Captain America. Thanks for your time Patton.

[...]

We have the number of the guy who writes the Captain America comics, so we are going to talk to Ed Brubaker. Ed says that Captain America is a dead man. Don is promising to help him sell crap loads of comics, but he doesn't want see him die. Ed says that he is a big Captain America fan. Don is getting a little "Annie Wilkes" like...he is going to tie this guy up in his cabin, and make him re-write the story. Ed tells us that Captain America has been killed off and came back before. Don is just not going to let this go. Thanks so much for your time Ed. Don is going to running out right after the show to get his copy. Now some ass is calling to tell us Captain America gets shot by a sniper. Now all the nerds are galloping to the phone to relate their Captain America stories. We need to break.

Last edited by JasonF; 03-07-07 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
So what if he doesn't understand our society? I don't understand why my daughter will JUST DIE! if I won't pay for up to 1,000 text messages a month, but that doesn't mean I can't be her father. The argument is flawed in my book.
I think the flawed argument is trying to compare this to a teenager's "I'll just die if..." claims.

The point is that Cap's ideal of America does not exist anymore. He still thinks that he's fighting for the Beaver Cleaver family.

In a way, it's the same complaint we regularly give about our "elected" officials... they're so far out of touch that despite their claim that they represent America, they are so out of touch with the people that while they may be spokesmen, they do not represent what the common man stands for anymore.
Old 03-07-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
i don't know if you guys know it but I'm not a Marvel fan But I gotta give Mah respect to Mah Homey Cap'n 'Merica yo.

Old 03-07-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
Superman #75 was going for $50 or more when it first came out. Now it goes for about $5 if you can even sell it. Don't buy this as an investment or as acolectible right away. Once the hype is over the price will plummit.
Correction - don't buy it as a long-term collectible / investment.

Your Superman #75 comparison is flawed, I believe. This was an event that we knew about months in advance, and dealers over-ordered accordingly. The reason the book has gone down is partly because of the novelty wearing off and all the non-comic collectors selling off their copies, and the fact that this issue came out in the middle of one of the biggest comics booms and had an insanely high print run... meaning a lot of copies are out there.

Cap #25, on the other hand, was not an announced event, and many dealers did not over-order. We're not quite in a depression for comics right now (although it's close), but we're nowhere near the days of the mega-print run like we were with Superman #75. If Cap #25 even had a tenth of that print run, I'd be amazed.

I'd say a better comparison would be with JLA #69, the unannounced crossover issue with the Death of Superman storyline. The store I worked at was ordering several hundred of every Death of Superman issue, but we only ordered 10 copies of JLA. It was a crap title that didn't sell worth a damn... until that issue. We suddenly found ourselves over 100 copies short of what we needed. I might be wrong, but I think that for a while JLA #69 was worth more than the basic version of Superman #75 because the JLA issue was so damned scarce.

That being said, it'll still fall in value eventually... but I'd say that people have a good 6 months to buy and sell copies to turn over a profit. I'm considering sending mine off to be graded after seeing what the 9.8 copies are fetching on eBay.

Sorry if this is disjointed... I really should be in bed right now
Old 03-08-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I think the flawed argument is trying to compare this to a teenager's "I'll just die if..." claims.
I'm not comparing anything to a teanager's "I'll just die if... " claims. I'm comparing the fact that I don't understand the importance of text messaging to the importance of Captain America understanding the importance of text messaging, and how that lack of understanding doesn't prevent me from being a father, and how that lack of understanding shouldn't prevent Captain America from being Captain Freakin' America. Obviously my reality of being a teenager is going to be very different than that of a teenager today. That doesn't mean that I can never relate to my teenage daughter. Captain America's reality of being an American is different than someone today. That doesn't mean that he can't relate on some level.

Again, many, many things have changed, but the basic principles of the country have remained.

I didn't like this specific argument because you can make the same argument about any other superhero. How does Thor relate to the mortals he protects? He's a freakin' god. How does Tony Start relate to anyone? He's a genius and wealthy. How does the Punisher relate to anyone? He's a homicidal maniac. And so on and so on... I'm supposed to buy that Iron Man's intentions might be better because he browses the Internet?

Last edited by madcougar; 03-08-07 at 12:09 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.