Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What are you reading? (January 2010)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are you reading? (January 2010)

Just finished

Starting
Old 01-09-10, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Michael
Old 01-10-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,582 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Just finished:

I was sufficiently inspired that I bought the 5-volume set of short stories by Philip K. Dick.

Started:

It's amazing how despicable John Robinson was before he was a serial killer. He'd start businesses, steal hundreds of thousands from investors, and give them nothing. He was just so smooth and convincing that he sounded like an expert in any field he wished. When the police came after him, he'd use expensive lawyers to get himself off. He was also involved in prostitution, baby-selling, and murder. The Kansas City Star did multiple exposes on him, but it was 16 years before he got sent to prison. He only started the serial killing after he got out.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 01-10-10 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-10-10, 01:11 PM

Old 01-10-10, 05:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The Know It All - A.J. Jacobs
Old 01-11-10, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Easily one of the best (it feels wrong using that word when speaking of Columbine events) books I've read in a long while.
Finished it over the weekend and thought that it was a great read. The thing that really jumped out to me was how the TCM story took over. A couple of kids saw the killers wear trench coats, which was basically true (they took them off at some point). They knew of the other group of students who in the past year also wore trench coats, and were known as the TCM. These couple of kids told the media that they thought that the shooters were therefore members of the TCM. When reporters took to the air with this, all of the other kids from Columbine saw it, and then started to add their own corroboration that it was fact.

This is a passage directly from the book (spoilered for length):

Spoiler:
Kids “knew” the TCM was involved because witnesses and news anchors had said so on TV. They confirmed it with friends watching similar reports. Word spread fast—conversation was the only teen activity in south Jeffco Tuesday afternoon. Pretty soon, most of the students had multiple independent confirmations. They believed they knew the TCM was behind the attack as a fact. From 1:00 to 8:00 P.M., the number of students in Clement Park citing the group went from almost none to nearly all. They weren’t making it up, they were repeating it back.

The second problem was a failure to question. In those first five hours, not a single person on the CNN feeds asked a student how they knew the killers were part of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Print reporters, talk show hosts, and the rest of the media chain repeated those mistakes. “All over town, the ominous new phrase ‘Trench Coat Mafia’ was on everyone’s lips,” USA Today reported Wednesday morning. That was a fact. But who was telling whom? The writers assumed kids were informing the media. It was the other way around.
Old 01-11-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To this day, saying The Trenchcoat Mafia and everyone immediately thinks of Columbine. It's nuts.
Old 01-11-10, 09:00 AM
PAG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished:

Old 01-11-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Drop
So what was their motivation?

It's amazing how little people know about such a huge incident, myself included.
Spoiler:
One of them (Dylan if I remember correct) was a fucking sociopath and Harris was a follower.

They were never bullied loners, Dylan was a bully himself, pretty popular, and got laid often. He was harassing a former friend of theirs to the point where the police were called multiple times and no one ever dug deeper to find the bomb factory in his house.

The plan was chilling

Setting off bombs across town to divert law enforcement, then putting enough explosives in the cafeteria to (as experts attest) collapse 1/2 the school building.

Setting up triangulation of fire in the parking lot so that they could easily shoot every student that survived the blast and was running out of the building.

Bombs set in thier cars near the school building set to go off hours later so that all Police, Fire, EMS and news reporters would be killed in a secondary blast.

Experts say that if their timer fuses weren't so poorly built they would have killed more people than Oklahoma City

They only entered the building when Dylan realized that the first bomb failed and he forced Harris to randomly shoot people

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 01-11-10 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-11-10, 11:15 AM

Read

Old 01-11-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Spoiler:
One of them (Dylan if I remember correct) was a fucking sociopath and Harris was a follower.

They were never bullied loners, Dylan was a bully himself, pretty popular, and got laid often. He was harassing a former friend of theirs to the point where the police were called multiple times and no one ever dug deeper to find the bomb factory in his house.

The plan was chilling

Setting off bombs across town to divert law enforcement, then putting enough explosives in the cafeteria to (as experts attest) collapse 1/2 the school building.

Setting up triangulation of fire in the parking lot so that they could easily shoot every student that survived the blast and was running out of the building.

Bombs set in thier cars near the school building set to go off hours later so that all Police, Fire, EMS and news reporters would be killed in a secondary blast.

Experts say that if their timer fuses weren't so poorly built they would have killed more people than Oklahoma City

They only entered the building when Dylan realized that the first bomb failed and he forced Harris to randomly shoot people
You've got Eric and Dylan's personalities mixed up (Eric was the psychopath), but aside from that and Eric getting laid all the time (even though it was on his list, he never did), everything else is pretty accurate.
Old 01-11-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by movieking
You've got Eric and Dylan's personalities mixed up (Eric was the psychopath), but aside from that and Eric getting laid all the time (even though it was on his list, he never did), everything else is pretty accurate.
Wasnt one of them banging a 20+ year old? I thought it was Dylan
Old 01-11-10, 08:50 PM

Book #3

Old 01-12-10, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Wasnt one of them banging a 20+ year old? I thought it was Dylan
Eric was (she was 23), but he freaked her out a bit and he confessed his age to her, and ultimtely, did not end up nailing her (according to the books author, anyway).

From the book:

Spoiler:
Eric was also working hard to get laid. He made a final stab with Brenda, leaving a string of messages on her answering machine. “I’m sorry I lied to you,” he said. “There’s something we need to talk about. I’m seventeen.” He was through lying, he said—he wanted to take their relationship to the next level. And she could keep the Rammstein CDs he’d left at her house. He wouldn’t be needing them anymore.
The last part made her nervous. She called back to make sure he was all right. And she reiterated one more time that they were just friends.
No time. Less than a month to go. Eric had a lot of shit left to do. He organized it into a list labeled “shit left to do.” He had to figure out napalm, acquire more ammo, find a laser-aiming device, practice gear-ups, prepare final explosives, and determine the peak killing moment. One item was apparently not accomplished: “get laid.”

Old 01-12-10, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Next up for me:

Old 01-12-10, 10:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Out of order due to a slight purchase mix-up somewhere along the line....

.... Jim Butcher's "Proven Guilty".

This page-turner of an "urban fantasy" series, recommended by fellow Book Talkers, has served as a great encouragement when it comes to making time for regular reading again. My fiction reading had tailed off alarmingly and I'm now (at last!) enthused to start catching up with my book debt.
Old 01-12-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The picture of your bookshelf is one of the reasons why I switched to ebooks. I loved the ease of purchase, and the lack of space constraints. My bookshelf is still pretty cluttered, but I find that I am like a hoarder went it comes to books, always keeping them even if I never plan to read them again (or in the case of books lent to me by friends, read them at all). Some day I plan to gather up my books and either sell them or give them away to friends, charities, or whoever wants them.
Old 01-12-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Book # 3

Finally got through it after 3 failed attempts. Really grabbed me by the shorthairs around 80 pages in and didn't let up. Have no idea where to go next.
Old 01-12-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Old 01-12-10, 05:45 PM

City Of Thieves by David Benioff

Old 01-12-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Just finished Under the Dome, one of the best Stephen King works I've read in a long time.
Currently reading:

and
Old 01-12-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished:

Starting:

(pretty new, yet he has it as a free pdf on author's site)
Old 01-12-10, 07:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-13-10, 11:12 AM

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts

Old 01-13-10, 12:27 PM

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.