Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

That pretty much did me in. Going to order one now.

Humorously enough, I mentioned it to my father and he said "Oh your mother wanted one of those things as well. Just order two of them and I will buy one off you."

I don't even think he knows really what the thing is other than she has mentioned it and now that it is below 150$ he will snap one up.

I imagine they are going sell a shit-ton of them at this price.

Now I just have to decide between the 3G and the wifi one.
Old 07-29-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went and pre-ordered the 3G Kindle to replace my first gen. The light/case is cool, also a little expensive, but I'll probably pick it up.
Old 07-29-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Now I just have to decide between the 3G and the wifi one.
The $50 for the 3G seems worth it to me, especially if you travel a lot. On my 3 week trip through Europe I was surprised by how much more useful my Kindle was than my wifi iPad in keeping me connected. I could check my email, twitter, facebook, some message boards, and of course get new books while on an 8 hour train ride. Then of course most of my hotels did not have free wifi, and the ones that did offer it free had really slow speeds. My wife and I seriously spent more than $50 on wifi access during our trip.

Plus the 3G is just easier to use, all you do is turn it on from the menu. The Kindle keyboard is not the best for typing (although I've gotten pretty good at using it), especially now that new one doesn't have keys devoted only to numbers. So entering the wifi info could be a pain. And the 3G version also offers free wifi were there are any at&t hot spots (and it should connect automatically too), which seem to be growing rapidly.
Old 07-29-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just going WiFi precisely because I don't travel very much.
Old 07-30-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I am having a hard time choosing between the Wi-Fi nook and the WiFi Kindle
Old 07-30-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Man, I am having a hard time choosing between the Wi-Fi nook and the WiFi Kindle
If I was seriously considering a Nook I would hold off for a tiny bit. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was a Nook 2 released within the next couple months that has a nicer screen (like the Kindle 3 has now). Blog review sites have been essentially saying as much and raving about the new screen on the Kindles.
Old 07-30-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
If I was seriously considering a Nook I would hold off for a tiny bit. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was a Nook 2 released within the next couple months that has a nicer screen (like the Kindle 3 has now). Blog review sites have been essentially saying as much and raving about the new screen on the Kindles.
Crap, I'm not good at waiting for new electronics to come out
Old 07-30-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, at $130 I may have to end up getting a Kindle. I'm running out of space for books in my house. Have to start going digital.
Old 07-30-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Crap, I'm not good at waiting for new electronics to come out
Here is one of the blog posts I read about this. Note though - I think the guy has a Kindle slant but I think does a good job acknowledging the strengths of the other readers and doesn't simply do blind recommendations.

http://ireaderreview.com/2010/07/29/...k-sony-reader/
Old 07-30-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally do not like the touch screen on the Nook. There was a weird disparity between both screens that I was finding hard to get used too. Plus it seemed to take an additional step to things as opposed to the Kindle. And the page turns, even improved, were noticeably slower. The Nook was also noticeably heavier. I'm sure for many people these are aren't issues. I definitely suggest trying them both out.

The actual e-ink screen did look better on the Nook, but I'd have to check against my Kindle again now that Amazon also uses software to make letters look even better. The new Kindle screen (pearl e-ink) seems to be the best one right now, of course.
Old 07-30-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After more research I might be leaning towards the new Kindles that came out. My biggest thing is being able to load various sources of files onto the device but it looks like calibre takes care of that no matter which you have.
Old 08-01-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

After more research I might be leaning towards the new Kindles that came out. My biggest thing is being able to load various sources of files onto the device but it looks like calibre takes care of that no matter which you have.
Exactly...I might just buy the new 3g and give the 2g to the wife
Old 08-02-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think what I'm going to do is wait about a week or two just to see if a new nook is announced. If it is and it has a bunch of great new features and what not then maybe I'll wait for that. But if I hear nothing in a week or so then I'll just preorder the new Kindle.
Old 08-02-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think what I'm going to do is wait about a week or two just to see if a new nook is announced. If it is and it has a bunch of great new features and what not then maybe I'll wait for that. But if I hear nothing in a week or so then I'll just preorder the new Kindle.
You can't go wrong with either one (or even the first gen Nook). I have the wifi Nook and love it but I would have loved it just as much if I have a Kindle 2/3.
Old 08-03-10, 09:57 AM

I do have a question for all you ereader folks. Do the DRM issue bothers you? I mean do you feel when you pay for a DRM book, that it's yours? That's one thing that has me holding off. If you guys feel that even with all the DRM ridden purchases, you still feel you own it.
Maybe that will nudge me closer to purchasing it. I still get the occasional horror tales, with people buying 100+ books and after changing 1-2 computers later they have a hard time downloading them back.

I am also holding off for a optional color Kindle or Nook (graphic novels). Something tells me it's right around the corner. Maybe another year?

Last edited by Rainet; 08-04-10 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-03-10, 08:10 PM

I've just ordered my 3rd Kindle, have well over 200 books for it, and 95% of my e-book purchases (maybe closer to 98%) come from Amazon with DRM included. While I do back my Kindle books up to my hard drive occasionally - plug Kindle in via USB, copy all books, paste to a folder on the PC - I'm really not that worried about losing my books.

A lot of people bring up the issue with 1984 being pulled back, but after that PR flap, Amazon isn't going to do that again. In fact, I own at least one book that was removed from the Kindle store after I purchased it, but is still on my Kindle despite my wireless connection being always on.

I'm also not worried about not being able to read a book where and when I want to due to DRM. Between the actual Kindle, the iPhone app, and the PC app, I can get to my books pretty much anywhere from any device I have access to.

As I said, I've ordered my 3rd Kindle (started with a Kindle 2, upgraded to a DX, pre-ordered a Kindle 3) and don't expect to have any issues loading my books on it. Most books have a 6-device limit, which includes Kindles, iDevices, and the PC app, but a)de-registering a device is supposed to release that devices license and b)of the folks I know of who've hit that limit, usually from warranty swaps, Kindle Customer Service was very helpful in freeing up the licenses.

Speaking of Customer Service, apparently the Kindle Customer Service team is NOT mixed into the general Amazon CSR pool. Kindle CS is supposed to be generally helpful, well-informed, and pleasant to deal with. I've heard many, many more stories of how great they are than I've heard tales of problems. I've yet to deal with them personally, although eventually I'm sure I'll have to.

Regarding your statement of a color e-reader, as someone who reads fiction, the kind that used to be mass market paperback, I don't have any desire for a color e-reader. All I'm reading is text on a screen, just like it used to be text on a page. Although if you (generic you) are someone who reads a lot of comic books, manga, non-fiction books with illustrations I can see the point of a color screen, but after seeing an iPad and a Kindle next to each other, something like the iPad has a much better screen for illustrations. Don't get me wrong, the Kindle screen, especially on the new DX and new Kindle, is amazing, and B&W illustrations look great, there's just something about it that doesn't feel like it would translate to color well. That's really more personal preference, though.
Old 08-04-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't want to piss off Nook owners, but anyone watching Barnes and Noble in the news? It looks like they may be putting themselves up for sale and may struggle to find a buyer since profits are down.
Old 08-05-10, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by meglet
I've just ordered my 3rd Kindle, have well over 200 books for it, and 95% of my e-book purchases (maybe closer to 98%) come from Amazon with DRM included. While I do back my Kindle books up to my hard drive occasionally - plug Kindle in via USB, copy all books, paste to a folder on the PC - I'm really not that worried about losing my books.

A lot of people bring up the issue with 1984 being pulled back, but after that PR flap, Amazon isn't going to do that again. In fact, I own at least one book that was removed from the Kindle store after I purchased it, but is still on my Kindle despite my wireless connection being always on.

I'm also not worried about not being able to read a book where and when I want to due to DRM. Between the actual Kindle, the iPhone app, and the PC app, I can get to my books pretty much anywhere from any device I have access to.

As I said, I've ordered my 3rd Kindle (started with a Kindle 2, upgraded to a DX, pre-ordered a Kindle 3) and don't expect to have any issues loading my books on it. Most books have a 6-device limit, which includes Kindles, iDevices, and the PC app, but a)de-registering a device is supposed to release that devices license and b)of the folks I know of who've hit that limit, usually from warranty swaps, Kindle Customer Service was very helpful in freeing up the licenses.

Speaking of Customer Service, apparently the Kindle Customer Service team is NOT mixed into the general Amazon CSR pool. Kindle CS is supposed to be generally helpful, well-informed, and pleasant to deal with. I've heard many, many more stories of how great they are than I've heard tales of problems. I've yet to deal with them personally, although eventually I'm sure I'll have to.

Regarding your statement of a color e-reader, as someone who reads fiction, the kind that used to be mass market paperback, I don't have any desire for a color e-reader. All I'm reading is text on a screen, just like it used to be text on a page. Although if you (generic you) are someone who reads a lot of comic books, manga, non-fiction books with illustrations I can see the point of a color screen, but after seeing an iPad and a Kindle next to each other, something like the iPad has a much better screen for illustrations. Don't get me wrong, the Kindle screen, especially on the new DX and new Kindle, is amazing, and B&W illustrations look great, there's just something about it that doesn't feel like it would translate to color well. That's really more personal preference, though.

Thanks for the info. I am definetely leaning on getting the Kindle at some point in the future. Do you know if by any chance Amazon will add library ebook to borrow like the Nook does in the future? That's a big plus to have.
Old 08-05-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Rainet
Thanks for the info. I am definetely leaning on getting the Kindle at some point in the future. Do you know if by any chance Amazon will add library ebook to borrow like the Nook does in the future? That's a big plus to have.
There is a super simple work-around available today. 90% of my Kindle reading is library books
Old 08-05-10, 03:21 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
There is a super simple work-around available today. 90% of my Kindle reading is library books
Interesting. My local public library uses the OverDrive Digital Media site to download eBooks. It states that a Kindle will not work because of the DRM.

I would love to be able to check out e-Books and read them on my Kindle.
Old 08-05-10, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Originally Posted by Vryce
Interesting. My local public library uses the OverDrive Digital Media site to download eBooks. It states that a Kindle will not work because of the DRM.

I would love to be able to check out e-Books and read them on my Kindle.
Well, officially Overdrive and most other library e-books won't work due to DRM. Unofficially, there are probably work-arounds for most if not all of them. I've always purchased my books instead of getting them from the library, so I haven't paid much attention but Google should find what you're looking for.
Old 08-05-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by meglet
Well, officially Overdrive and most other library e-books won't work due to DRM. Unofficially, there are probably work-arounds for most if not all of them. I've always purchased my books instead of getting them from the library, so I haven't paid much attention but Google should find what you're looking for.
I have a legal right to borrow library books

Kindle decided that it didn't want to support that right so use methods to no longer make the books non-kindle compatable

The illegality of this method is lost on me since I delete all books when I read them
Old 08-07-10, 11:59 AM

I sure wish Amazon had a program where I could turn in a bunch of my existing books and exchange them for Kindle versions. That would push me over the edge from undecided to gotta have it, in an instant.

BTW, does anyone know the actual height and width of the screen in the new 3G?
Old 08-07-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jack999
I sure wish Amazon had a program where I could turn in a bunch of my existing books and exchange them for Kindle versions. That would push me over the edge from undecided to gotta have it, in an instant.
They've had trade-ins for store credit for quite some time. You can use the credit on anything you want, so if you want to use it on kindle books go for. They don't accept every book you own, but who does. I use it all the time, I've even gotten $6 in credit just for some credit, but usually its $1-2. It all adds up though.
Old 08-07-10, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
They've had trade-ins for store credit for quite some time. You can use the credit on anything you want, so if you want to use it on kindle books go for. They don't accept every book you own, but who does. I use it all the time, I've even gotten $6 in credit just for some credit, but usually its $1-2. It all adds up though.
How do I do that? I've never noticed anything like that on Amazon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.