Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Originally Posted by Drop
Welcome to the eBook side anyway darkside, seems like you'll really enjoy it.
I've pretty much exclusively read ebooks since 1999. Never had a dedicated reader before though. I used Palm OS devices for years and my iPod Touch the last couple.

The greyish, greenish screen is one the disadvantages of an LCD. I do like the more paper white backgrounds of the eink devices, but not enough to pony up for the cost of a Nook or Kindle. The nice thing about this device only costing $99 is I won't feel so bad if a year from now I do decide to move to a Nook 2, Sony or similar eink device if they can improve the sluggish nature (the Nook is really bad in this regard) and get the costs down.
Old 04-28-10, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...010-_-04282010

Jetbook lite $99 plus free shipping. I think it's on sale until 1:00pm(PDT).

Ordered one.
Old 05-18-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in the Kobo reader from Borders. It is $150 coming out 6/17. Not sure how it compares to Jetbook lite, other than the 1 inch bigger screen.
Old 06-15-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Kindle 2.5 update now available. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200324680

It adds folder options and the option to password lock your kindle.
Old 06-16-10, 01:18 PM

The official update language is "Collections" which most people keep equating to the long-desired folders, but is really more like Tags. On the other hand, you can add one book to multiple Collections, which is handy, and whatever they really are, my Kindle is so much more organized now. Finally.

FYI for those who haven't seen it: you can add books to a collection a bunch at a time by going into the Collection from the Home screen, pressing Menu/Add-Remove Books and then scroll through your list of books and select the ones you want. Much faster than adding one book at a time!
Old 06-16-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The font is also more clear. It's quite noticeable to me, but I'm sure it won't make a difference to others. The bigger fonts are pretty cool though, if just for the novelty of having 7 huge words on the screen at a time.

And I do love the collections.
Old 06-18-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Drop
The font is also more clear. It's quite noticeable to me, but I'm sure it won't make a difference to others. The bigger fonts are pretty cool though, if just for the novelty of having 7 huge words on the screen at a time.

And I do love the collections.
Did you download or was it pushed to the device...I keep wireless off most of the time (my battery life tripled)
Old 06-18-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I downloaded a bin file a nice user uploaded from their Kindle, it was the 2.5.2 update. I left the wireless on at one point and noticed it updated to 2.5.3.
Old 06-21-10, 10:08 AM

Barnes & Noble just announced a price drop on the nook. The existing version with both Wi-Fi and 3G has an immediate price drop from $259 to $199. There is also a new version with Wi-Fi only. The price for the new one is $149. The Wi-Fi only nook is supposed to begin shipping this week.

Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 06-21-10 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 01:26 PM

I was in Best Buy about an hour ago. They have already lowered the price of the 3G/Wi-Fi nook to $199. They also still had the sign up for the free $50 Barnes & Noble gift card with purchase of a nook. The gift card promotion ended yesterday at Barnes & Noble, and it seems to be gone from BestBuy.com

I decided I would try out the nook if I could still get the gift card. The register didn't apply the discount. The cashier called a manager. He looked at the weekly ad and went back and looked at the shelf. He told the girl at the register to override the price, so I walked out with a nook and a $50 B&N gift card for $211 with tax.
Old 06-21-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am very tempted to get the wifi only nook.
Old 06-21-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kindle 2 went down to 189 in response FYI.
Old 06-21-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At $149 I might finally bite on a Nook. 3G would be nice but isn't that important for me.
Old 06-21-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There really is no reason for a serious reader to not buy an e-reader now.

I will still gladly praise the Kindle as the one to get, but the Nook seems like a great reader too. I will say the 3G is more valuable than one might think. Especially if you do any traveling at all.
Old 06-21-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the nook since getting it last month and at $149 it is a no brainer if you don't need 3G and I would recommend the 3G one if you need it. The Kindle is great as well so you have some excellent choices now under $200. I wonder if Sony will follow suit. The Sony pocket reader should really be $99 with this competition and would be a nice low price eink alternative.
Old 06-22-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In another year these devices should easily be $99, and they will be feature packed. There is no way e-readers are dying as so many bloggers and writers cry every chance they get.
Old 06-22-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I downloaded B&N's PC eReader software yesterday and had a few questions. I used Calibre to convert a few books I have to ePub format, but ran into a few issues. First, the eReader software wouldn't group them with the normal books, but instead was under some "My Files" header or something similar. Does the nook handle sideloaded content the same way? Also it wouldn't display the covers of the books, it only had a generic grey B&N cover. The covers were present when I actually opened up the books, however. Did I do something wrong in my conversion or is there some trick to getting the eReader to recognize the covers?
Old 06-22-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I downloaded B&N's PC eReader software yesterday and had a few questions. I used Calibre to convert a few books I have to ePub format, but ran into a few issues. First, the eReader software wouldn't group them with the normal books, but instead was under some "My Files" header or something similar. Does the nook handle sideloaded content the same way? Also it wouldn't display the covers of the books, it only had a generic grey B&N cover. The covers were present when I actually opened up the books, however. Did I do something wrong in my conversion or is there some trick to getting the eReader to recognize the covers?
You did everything correct. The nook handles it the same way. It keeps your sideloaded content separate from the stuff you buy from B&N. I only use sideloaded content so I never look at the B&N section. The only drawback really is no browsing by covers, but it does show them when you open the book and I'm fine with that. Browsing by covers and adding more sort folder options is frequently requested so B&N may add it in a future firmware update. They have added several things people have asked for.

Last edited by darkside; 06-22-10 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I love the nook since getting it last month and at $149 it is a no-brainer if you don't need 3G and I would recommend the 3G one if you need it. The Kindle is great as well so you have some excellent choices now under $200. I wonder if Sony will follow suit. The Sony pocket reader should really be $99 with this competition and would be a nice low price e-ink alternative.
I tell ya, I'm really getting an itch to pick up the $149 nook.
Old 06-22-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
You did everything correct. The nook handles it the same way. It keeps your sideloaded content separate from the stuff you buy from B&N. I only use sideloaded content so I never look at the B&N section. The only drawback really is no browsing by covers, but it does show them when you open the book and I'm fine with that. Browsing by covers and adding more sort folder options is frequently requested so B&N may add it in a future firmware update. They have added several things people have asked for.

That's disappointing to hear. I'm getting ready to pick up a Nook (mainly due to the BB gift card I have which will cover half the cost) and will be using mostly sideloaded content. Bummer to hear I can't browse by covers!
Old 06-24-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had a Nook for awhile now and love it. I've bought quite a few ebooks and sideloaded some as well. I recommend it to anyone on the fence.
Old 06-25-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ordered the wifi Nook yesterday afternoon, and they delivered this morning! Talk about service, I guess living in NYC (and 5 boroughs) does have some advantages.

Anyway, been playing with it all night loading up various books. It is so much fun
Old 07-02-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New Kindle out July 7th:

Amazon updates Kindle DX, drops price
Old 07-10-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Two free Kindle pre-orders:

Hour of the Hunter: With Bonus Material: A Novel of Suspense - JA Jance

A Nail Through the Heart: With Bonus Content - Timothy Hallinan
Old 07-10-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Is it just the preorder free and then later on you have to pay a price?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.