The Buddy Holly Story
Khartoum
The Man From Laramie
The Killer Elite
Mississippi Burning
The Bounty
Love and Death
Shadows and Fog

I may dive back in for more but these are the titles I had my sights set on since seeing the announcement this morning. What a sweet deal!
Old 11-16-16, 07:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

Is it likely that Twilight Time will have a sale on its own site between now and Christmas?
Old 11-16-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Gotta love technology. Browsing and placing an order while riding the Shinkansen high speed train to Kyoto from Tokyo. Earlier this morning (in Japan time), I got 'At Close Range' for $0.00 - seemed like some autographed promotion while it shows $14.95 now. So 4 titles (Drums, JEyre, Oliver and At Close Range) for $30 including Media Mail shipping. This only means these kinda promotions will increase and/or be more often. Today's $15 price will be tomorrow's $7.50. Patience is a virtue.
Old 11-16-16, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
...Today's $15 price will be tomorrow's $7.50. Patience is a virtue.
In most cases, probably so... just depends how much you want a particular title and whether you want to gamble. If I had not gotten online this morning and checked the website I would have missed out on owning "Major Dundee" because it sold out. I have limited myself to just $14.95 and below for this sale...I was expecting $19.95 and came in under budget.
Old 11-16-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Yeah, I didn't put Major Dundee in my initial order. Decided later to go back and get it, but it was gone.
Old 11-16-16, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by albert_m
Is it likely that Twilight Time will have a sale on its own site between now and Christmas?
Not likely but then again, I didn't expect to see a sale this aggressive either! I didn't open any of the Criterions I purchased last week. I am going to make a return tomorrow in favor of a few more Twilight Time titles.
Old 11-16-16, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Today's $15 price will be tomorrow's $7.50. Patience is a virtue.
This is the main thing keeping me hovering over the 'buy' button on several $14.95 titles -- many of which I already have, of course -- but the question is how many of them might be heading toward low quantities or are already "officially" out of print. I recall the Thunderbirds double feature being on the low quantity list at TT's own site not that long ago before finally disappearing for good, so it's easy to think that that one and probably others won't survive to see $7.95, especially if the next time they do a sale like this is six months or a year down the road. Decisions, decisions . . .

EDIT: just visited the site again and noticed that when you view the TT titles at 100 items per page, there's now two pages instead of three. Earlier, the third page had about four or five titles on it, which suggests that more than just Major Dundee has gone out of stock.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-16-16 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I did the cart trick a few hours ago with In Like Flint, and it came up with only 3 copies.
At $8, that motivated me to put an order in for that and a bunch of other stuff, including CDs that I was planning to order in the next few days anyway.

Ended up ordering a few titles that have never been on any want list, but that I'd been curious about- (Rains of Ranchipur, Devil In A Blue Dress, Flint)- along with a few of the $22.95 titles I was specifically waiting for a sale on.

Even at $20 I might have waffled on them, but seeing other stuff sell out so quick I figured I might as well just get them now.
Old 11-17-16, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by albert_m
I give it a 50/50 shot...there has been times in the past when Twilight Time has ran a sale like a month after SAE. As time goes on I find myself spending more money directly through Twilight Time anyway than SAE. Not that anything is wrong with SAE (they have always been good to me)...just the whole direct thing I guess.

Honestly I'd say there will be a Twilight Time sale by no later than February. That's what my gut tells me and I'm more than willing to wait until then. The titles I want will most likely not sell out until then and hopefully they will down to the magical $20 number I'm looking for. We'll see.
Old 11-17-16, 09:44 AM
Banned

Well, I returned my Criterions to Barnes & Noble in favor of this sale. I have to stay in budget and there will likely be numerous Criterion sales in the future. I don't want to take a chance missing out on some of these titles so I placed an additional order. I believe most titles in the $7.95-$14.95 range are likely to go OOP by the end of this sale. I'm likely to take one last plunge before I come to my senses, do a little research and think carefully about my choices.

$7.95
Nicholas & Alexandra
Drums Along the Mohawk
In Like Flint

$8.95
Major Dundee

$14.95
The Buddy Holly Story
Khartoum
The Man From Laramie
The Killer Elite
Mississippi Burning
The Bounty
Love and Death
Shadows and Fog
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Equus
Under Fire
The Mechanic
Emperor of the North

Last edited by AaronSch; 11-17-16 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-17-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I believe most titles in the $7.95-$14.95 range are likely to go OOP by the end of this sale.
Just did a quick comparison of my order from yesterday against the remaining $8.95-and-under titles and these appear to be goners:

COVER GIRL
THE SOUND AND THE FURY
IN LIKE FLINT (previously noted)
MAJOR DUNDEE (previously noted)

Presumably there are others off the list as well, as that particular price range is looking pretty slim at just 23 titles.

I have 34 titles from the $14.95 group in my cart and so far no sell-outs. I'd probably wishlist quite a few of those before making a purchase in the hopes that they'll still be around for at least one more sale, and hopefully cheaper. But who knows . . .
Old 11-17-16, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian T
Just did a quick comparison of my order from yesterday against the remaining $8.95-and-under titles and these appear to be goners:

COVER GIRL
THE SOUND AND THE FURY
IN LIKE FLINT (previously noted)
MAJOR DUNDEE (previously noted)

Presumably there are others off the list as well, as that particular price range is looking pretty slim at just 23 titles.

I have 34 titles from the $14.95 group in my cart and so far no sell-outs. I'd probably wishlist quite a few of those before making a purchase in the hopes that they'll still be around for at least one more sale, and hopefully cheaper. But who knows . . .
I am really thrilled I checked SAE yesterday morning. Otherwise I would have missed picking up "Major Dundee" and "In Like Flint" at such ridiculously low prices. That's the first one in the batch I will be watching. I'm nervous about a few more of the $14.95 titles and will likely place a third order. I keep waffling on "Desirée." I really like Marlon Brando but based on the reviews it appears to be a snorefest. I am also thinking about picking up "The Disappearance" but I'm not generally an "art house" movie fan.

Does anyone know the trick to check SAE inventories on each title?

Last edited by AaronSch; 11-17-16 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-17-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't think there are any ways of knowing their inventory. You really need to just keep an eye on Twilight Time's facebook page a few times a day during this sale. They give a fair warning about which titles are in danger of selling out.
Old 11-17-16, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I don't think there are any ways of knowing their inventory. You really need to just keep an eye on Twilight Time's facebook page a few times a day during this sale. They give a fair warning about which titles are in danger of selling out.
I may be mistaken, but I vaguely remember reading that there is a way to find out how many copies are in the SAE inventory by doing something with the item in your cart.

Just a head's up everyone. THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO / THUNDERBIRD 6 is now SOLD OUT. If you wanted to add "A Man for All Seasons" to your library, there were around 17 copies available as of this post.
Old 11-17-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

A Man for All Seasons is sold out now. Glad I got my order in a few minutes ago. I thought I had it but checked it out and realized I didn't buy it yet.
Old 11-17-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sometimes you can change the quantity once an item is in your cart and press update.
They max out at 50. Even if SAE has 100 in stock, you will only be able to add 50 to your order at the most.
It doesn't always work, but when it does, if you change the quantity to 50, and press update, you may get the honest inventory total for remaining copies available.

Everything I checked this morning was indicating 50+ so either they fixed it, or else they are pretty deep in stock of everything else I was interested in.
Old 11-17-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Neil M.
A Man for All Seasons is sold out now. Glad I got my order in a few minutes ago. I thought I had it but checked it out and realized I didn't buy it yet.
So that's the one! I just checked my cart again and it was down to 25 from 26, but I couldn't figure out what disappeared! Not too concerned as I already own it -- along with the other 25 titles I'm procrastinating over -- but I'm thinking a lot of these won't survive to see $7.50 in a future sale.

Took your advice about checking Facebook and noticed quite a few titles are gone: SEXY BEAST, JUDGMENT AT NUREMBURG, FIRST MEN IN THE MOON, THE WAY WE WERE.

They also posted low quantity alerts a while back for KHARTOUM (250), THE MECHANIC (300) and MINDWARP (300) but all three still seem to be above 50+ using the cart trick as I write this.
Old 11-17-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

For those who have not seen it , someone at bluray.com has listed all the titles and is keeping track of what has sold out. One thing I noticed is that "Our Man Flint" is shown on the advertisement for the sale but apparently was not included. "In Like Flint" was included before it sold out.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...40&postcount=1

Last edited by Classic Films; 11-17-16 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-17-16, 03:51 PM
Banned

Twilight Time's Facebook page is probably a better place to keep up with the rapidly disappearing titles in the $7.95-$14.95 range. Brian T listed a few previously and I would bet "The Mechanic" "Khartoum," and "Mindwarp" will be among the next to join the list. It's amazing how fast these are drying up...Step right on up folks, get 'em while their hot 'cause they won't likely be around in the next hour!

The Way We Were SOLD OUT
Thunderbirds Are Go/Thunderbirds 6 SOLD OUT
In Like Flint SOLD OUT
Major Dundee SOLD OUT
Judgement at Nuremburg SOLD OUT
First Men in the Moon SOLD OUT
Sexy Beast SOLD OUT
Cover Girl SOLD OUT
The Sound and the Fury SOLD OUT
A Man For All Seasons SOLD OUT
The Mechanic SOLD OUT

Last edited by AaronSch; 11-17-16 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-17-16, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Mechanic is Sold Out.

They were under 50 copies when I decided to get it. When I logged on they were down to 14. In my rush to check out I missed one of the other titles I was going to get, but even by then they were down to 3 copies. Two minutes after I submitted my order, they were all gone.

There is a German release, but I'm not sure which is better in terms of A/V anmd by the time you factor in shipping, the price would have probably been a wash.

Some of this stuff I'm likely going to throw up for sale here at cost in the future. I just want to make sure I lock them in just in case.
Old 11-17-16, 05:20 PM
Banned

That makes 11 titles in 24 hours now OOP ...I better get that last order in.

The Way We Were SOLD OUT
Thunderbirds Are Go/Thunderbirds 6 SOLD OUT
In Like Flint SOLD OUT
Major Dundee SOLD OUT
Judgement at Nuremburg SOLD OUT
First Men in the Moon SOLD OUT
Sexy Beast SOLD OUT
Cover Girl SOLD OUT
The Sound and the Fury SOLD OUT
A Man For All Seasons SOLD OUT
The Mechanic SOLD OUT

Last edited by AaronSch; 11-17-16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-17-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's sad to see films like Bite The Bullet and Drums Along The Mohawk not moving faster...especially when they are only $8.

Not only are they both great movies, the transfers are spectacular. I even remember when the double sided DVD of BtB was going for a premium after Sony re-released it with only the full screen version.
Old 11-17-16, 07:01 PM
Banned

I already own "Bite the Bullet" and totally agree....great western and gorgeous looking Blu-ray. I had read that "Drums Along the Mohawk" had some issues but I love John Ford so happy to now own it.
Old 11-17-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Add another to the sold out list: Mississippi Burning...was in my cart, now it is not.
Old 11-17-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It appears KHARTOUM is down to 43 copies. Can't imagine that one surviving the night.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.