Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

Old 03-27-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

Yes streaming is on demand. The plan they offered a while back was 1, 2, or 3 out at a time for a 2 month trial. Yes the price includes BD. ..... But I will tell u that it usually is a wait for them to become available.
Old 03-28-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went last week and picked up the following:

Kick-Ass Blu-ray for $1.99
Six Feet Under Season Three Disc Four and In Treatment Season 2 Discs 1&2 for 99 cents each. Somehow, I managed to lose these three discs and was lucky to replace them for so cheap.
Old 03-29-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Went to the local BB today. They're at 40% on new/sealed product; but it's pretty obvious they marked the price up. Almost all of the BR's & many of the dvd's have a price tag on top of another (likely lower) price tag.
Old 03-29-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

The Blockbuster I worked at in the early 90s closed this weekend. I stopped by the store and wandered around, remembering the good and bad before picking up a couple of Blu's before they shut the doors for good. Bittersweet memories.

On Monday, another nearby Blockbuster started their closing sale. Everything was 15% off.
Old 04-01-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BDs and DVDs are now down to $4.99 at my local BB. Caseless discs in sleeves were 99 this weekend.

Overheard someone talking to some store personnel about how soon he could pickup shelves and he was told April 14th, so they have two weeks left... which would confirm the middle of April closing time I overheard last month.

If discs keep dropping at a $1 per week like they have been, then they should be $2.99 and lower by the last week.
Old 04-02-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
BDs and DVDs are now down to $4.99 at my local BB. Caseless discs in sleeves were 99 this weekend.

Overheard someone talking to some store personnel about how soon he could pickup shelves and he was told April 14th, so they have two weeks left... which would confirm the middle of April closing time I overheard last month.

If discs keep dropping at a $1 per week like they have been, then they should be $2.99 and lower by the last week.
But of course as the price drops the selection of titles becomes crappier. Having dealt with 2 closing stores (that's all in my area so far) I learned that by the time the price is $2.99 there's really very few BDs left except the same BDs that were part of the 5 for $20 BD deals the 2 previous years... with a few exceptions. The day my other store hit $4.99 I went and the selection at $4.99 wasn't much better than at $2.99 at the other store.

So, if you live in a populated area (like I do) very few good BDs last until $4.99... let alone any lower price. If you live in the boonies, then you might be able to score some good stuff at these lower prices. I suppose if you're just looking for bargains on the previous 5 for $20 BD stuff, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding those down to $1.99 at most stores.
Old 04-02-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At my BB the selection hasn't changed all that much... if anything it increased somewhat since the store closing sale started.

The problem for me is that most anything I could get, I already have. It's titles (about a dozen or so) that I have much less interest in and are only worth $1.99 - $2.99 to me. Unless they sold a crap load of stuff this weekend (I was there Saturday), there's still plenty of those.
Old 04-03-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to my local BB today. They were at 60% off new stuff BDs/DVDs, $2.99 on used BDs. I picked up Adventureland and The American used. I got Angels and Demons and RockNRolla new for $4.00 and $3.00. Weird that they haven't dropped the price of the case-less dvds. They are still $1.50 each if you buy 5 or more.
Old 04-13-12, 03:39 PM
CCS
Cool New Member

I went today. It made me pretty sad that a piece of my childhood was dying. They had a TON of blurays for $1.99 and a TON of tv shows for $1.99 a disk. I seen True Blood, Dexter, The Wire, etc. I only picked up Quarantine, Inception, and The Losers though.
Old 04-14-12, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The nearest store by me in Franklin, NJ is closing this WE and all the decent blu-ray selections are gone. I did pick up a few caseless .99 cent dvds.

Sooo sad to see it go. No more BB anywhere close anymore. An end to the $5 for $20 and even cheaper blu's. sad. sad.
Old 04-15-12, 09:53 AM

I went to my next closing Blockbuster store last Tuesday, and there were still a fair amount of OK titles. I bought a couple dozen for $1.99 each (well... $1.90-ish on the receipt), plus I had a stack of about a dozen I couldn't decide if they were worth $1.90-ish as blind buys. While I was deciding, the cashier rang through the ones I was sure about and we finished the transaction because someone was waiting behind me. Then after taking care of that person, she offered to sell me the $6.99 ones for $1.33 and the $9.99 ones for $1.50 each, so I got most of the rest. I was bummed she didn't give me that better price on the first transaction. Had I known I would've acted indecisive on the whole stack.

Anyway, there was really nothing left at this store that I wanted, so I didn't bother to go back when the prices hit 99c, not to mention it would be $4 in gas. I passed on The Scorpion King 3, The Roommate, and Hostel which some people said were awful. Even if I were there would they have been worth 99c? I never even took the time to look at the DVDs as the BD section took me long enough. There are no more closing stores that I know of in my area now. Time to wait for the next batch.

Another bummer... now I need to buy more cases from Discmakers. Has anyone ordered from them lately to verify they still sell the genuine Viva Elites?

BTW, the cashier said that the brand new BDs never go below 70% off, even on the final day, because those would be sent to another store. Is that true for all store closings?
Old 04-16-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Another bummer... now I need to buy more cases from Discmakers. Has anyone ordered from them lately to verify they still sell the genuine Viva Elites?
I ordered the double disc elites from them last week and they were genuine non-eco Elites.
Old 04-16-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, my local BBV closed down yesterday. I bought maybe 10 or so things from them through the entire shut down process, that's it. It is a sad thing for me too. This specific Blockbuster is where I say I officially started collecting DVDs. Back years ago, they had a big sell on used titles, and me and my cousin went in and bought a bunch. Things like that big Pearl Harbor DVD set, it was around $10-$15 and we were all pumped about getting that deal, and a bunch of other things. That has been what, 10 years ago or more now?

I moved to this town six months ago after getting married. The BBV in the town I grew up in, it is oddly enough still there. The really weird thing is that it technically shut down just like this, they sold everything, all the fixtures, every item, just cleaned it out. But then around 2-4 weeks later they totally restocked it and reopened it. I'm assuming it went from a franchise store to a corporate store, or vice versa. I don't think there are any plans to shut that one down for good. It doesn't do me much good though since it is 40 minutes or more away, and I'd never rent there. Then again I never rented anyway, only bought used stuff, so I guess I still have that when I'm in town.

Here where I am now, we still have a Family Video across town, so at least we have some sort of rental store to visit. I will hate the days when all rental places are gone. I love to just walk through sometimes. Oh well.
Old 04-22-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen a Blockbuster closing around here in quite some time but I was a ways out of town and passed one earlier. I stopped in just to see -- it was in the final days, so there was nothing but garbage left. Did Blockbuster have some deal with Disney for Grey's Anatomy Season 6 Blu-rays? I've never seen so many in all of my life. That's pretty much all that was left.

There was some stragglers left behind for $1.99 -- Saw V, Saw VI, Sex & the City 2, Halloween II, Brooklyn's Finest, a shitload of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Some Tyler Perry movie with about 100 copies and some other crap that I can't remember.

The only thing that piqued my interest was the Band of Brothers disc 2 I saw. But of course the other discs in the set were already gone so I passed.
Old 04-25-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just hit a store on its final day this last Sunday... What was crazy was even though everything was .99 (movies with and without cases) was most people were digging through the discs without art. I got a ton of blu rays... Spent around $127 with tax and ended up with 130 plus discs. Purposely got some duplicates of titles which I took and flipped at FYE for about $50 of what I spent. Took the rest of those and traded into Moviestop and was able to get 4 upcoming blu rays free on reserve (through the trade 2 get a new title deal) but also got about $62 in store credit.

I still have about 80 blu rays from that original haul too
Old 04-25-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the store in Frisco, TX closed last week, I noticed that all titles were 99cents beginning on the Friday before closing. When one closed in Plano two months ago, the discs weren't knocked down to 99 cents until the last day (Sunday).

Last edited by Doc Moonlight; 05-05-12 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The last two stores here hit $3.99 and they both close in 15 days... So long Blockbuster. I've made my last trip since I have pretty much everything of interest now. Kind of a pisser to see so many titles that I already own for $3.99. But, that's the way it goes. Picked up...

$3.99 BD in case...

Casablanca
Illusionist (2010)
Lonesome Dove
Moon
Patton
Raging Bull
White Ribbon

$.99 BD sleeve only...

Battle in Seattle
Catfish
Countdown to Zero
In the Electric Mist
Milk

$.99 DVD sleeve only... Clean, no wear.

Down By Law CC
Grey Gardens CC
Beales of Grey Gardens CC
Man Bites Dog CC
Vanishing CC
Old 05-06-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the only stores near me is closing (Haverhill, MA), so I finally get to check out these bargains. Despite the whole store being closed out, there was surprisingly little of interest for me (even at $3.99 for BDs).

Did grab 'The Pacific' on BD for $9.99 (6 discs in 5 cases). Also "Battle: Los Angeles' and 'Monsters' on BD for $3.99 each (both are movies that I enjoyed, even though they got mixed reviews).

Might go back another day to wade through all those $.99 DVDs. There were only two $.99 BD titles - 'Crank 2' and 'Valentines Day', and there were a bunch of both.
Old 05-07-12, 10:03 PM

I almost totally forgot about Blockbuster since the last stores I knew about closed on 4/15. Is Blockbuster continuing to close more stores or is it over for now?

I searched on Google for a more recent store closing list, and the only one I could find is the outdated one from the ihateblockbuster web site which only has store #s listed. To find closing stores I had to look up every single store's store # in my area and then search that list. I found 3 stores last time and they all have closed.

If anyone knows of a more recent and easier-to-use list, please let me know. Otherwise, AFAIK, there are no more closing stores in my area, so this is over.
Old 05-08-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Swung by the Haverhill MA store again today, and all used discs (DVD and BD) are now $1.99. TV sets are $4.99 (mostly DVD, except BD of 'Weeds', 'Greys Anatomy' and 'Terminator: Sarah Connor'). New movies are 70% off.

Clerk mentioned that they aren't closing until June 14th, and they still expect at least one more large shipment of movies to arrive. (He said the last shipment had 180 boxes worth of stuff!)
Old 05-08-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$1.99 titles I nabbed:

Daybreakers
Drive Angry
Gattaca
Killer Inside Me
Men In Black
Run Fatboy Run
Sideways
S.W.A.T.
Top Gun
The Wackness
Wedding Crashers
White Ribbon
Old 05-10-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't resist - somebody stop me!!

More $1.99 BDs today:

28 Weeks Later
American Psycho
Another Year
Atonement
Babel
Be Kind Rewind
Catfish
The Expendables
Funny People
Good Night, Good Luck
Killing Bono
Little Miss Sunshine
Pirate Radio
Priest (Unrated)
Stanger Than Fiction
Old 05-20-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All used DVDs and Blu-Rays are $.99 in Haverhill (inlcuding ones with covers, not just disc-only). There are still hundreds of BDs there, and they're open for 3-4 more weeks. (I'm surprised no one went in bought the whole lot at that price.)

Picked up:
The Invention of Lying
A Serious Man
X-Files: I Want To Believe
Buried
The Reader
Prom (never heard of it, figured a Disney title must be worth at least a buck on the resale market)
Old 05-21-12, 09:45 AM

I finally went to Blockbuster.com and entered in a recent rental title, and as suggested by others the stores that don't have that rental title are in fact the closing ones. That trick makes it pretty easy to find closing stores.

So I called the one store and found it was closing in about 1 month and the BDs had just dropped to $4.99 a week ago. It's about 12 miles away, and my previous trips to stores the day they dropped to $4.99 was not particularly productive... maybe 4 or 5 titles. So I think I'll wait until I'm in that area and the prices are $1.99 or less, especially given that after going to a few store closings, I feel like I've pretty much already seen all the titles I'm going to find. To find anything else worthwhile is plain dumb luck that one store had something different that nobody picked up for some reason. Since I live in a densely populated area, there are no stores in the sticks that get overlooked. Every store gets picked over by hundreds of people a day.

alanstar, I hadn't heard of Prom either, but it was Disney, so I got it (and I paid $2.99 instead of 99c) and was pleasantly surprised. It was very predictable, but IIRC it's something the whole family can watch. Sometimes I like corny stuff... being a fan of old (pre 1970) Disney live action movies.

I guess at $1 you can always get your money back because FYE usually will pay at least $1 for most things, but to assume I can get back much more than that I've found is wrong. I've got loads of new and used DVDs and BDs whose $1-ish trade-in prices at FYE or Amazon are too low to justify the effort.
Old 05-31-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stopped by the BB Store on Garnett in San Diego..they had tons od dvds and decent blu rays selection at 3.99...closing in couple weeks I think along with another..any updates on Socal closing stores you may have checked out or know about?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.