Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

Old 05-31-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

The store in Plano, TX is closing this weekend. Went in there yesterday and found that most of the DVD/Blu Ray titles were $1.99, but they had a section approximately the size of half the store, where the titles are $.49 each. It's 99% DVD, but I did manage to find Blu copies of STATEN ISLAND and SOLITARY MAN for $.49 as well as DVD copies of NOT THE MESSIAH and THE BEAVER.
Old 09-13-12, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two stores in Miami closed within weeks of each other in June and had tens of thousands of 49 cent white sleeve DVD's but another one is closing there now and does not have them.
Old 09-14-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by radbond View Post
Two stores in Miami closed within weeks of each other in June and had tens of thousands of 49 cent white sleeve DVD's but another one is closing there now and does not have them.
I remember the last store closing I went to... I don't know if there were tens of thousands but definitely thousands of white sleeve DVDs for 49 cents. I started to flip through them, but it was so incredibly overwhelming a task and the discs so tightly packed in each cardboard box that I gave up after 5 minutes. I did overhear 1 guy tell an employee who was shuffling white sleeve DVDs between boxes to please let him know since he spent a long time going through them and didn't want to lose his place. Unfortunately the bottomline is this... there are just too many of these and the probability of finding good ones too low to justify the time. I'd bet there's at least 1 good DVD for every few hundred you check, but going through a few hundred is probably 15 minutes, especially since you have to lift each one up and put it back or remove them and put them back in. Packing them tightly in boxes doesn't help customers go through them more easily. Anyway, most of the ones I saw were totally random, odd TV season discs or a thousand copies of The Blind Side.

At least seeing this thread reminded me to check my area. I typed in a recent release (Safe) and all stores in my area show either available or checked out, so I guess no stores are closing in my area (none have for many months).
Old 09-14-12, 05:34 PM

On the last day the last store closed here in Miami, I was in the store from opening to closing (10 hours). I spent the entire time going through the 49 cent white sleeve DVD's nonstop - and still had 3 full racks to go when the staff ordered everyone to leave. The sheer excitement makes the excruciating pain in your back and feet endurable!
Old 09-14-12, 07:15 PM

If they aren't too busy, I grab one of the cardboard trays they have them in, move off to the side and sit on the floor, taking a massive handful at a time and speeding through them. I can usually rifle through them quickly. I've also seen a guy bring a folding chair and sit in front of them and do it that way.
Old 12-11-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wanted to bump this thread for those in the north central part of NC. The store in Burlington, NC is closing this weekend.

Went by today and noticed they had all BD/dvd's for $1.99 each except for full tv seasons @ 4.99 per season(all dvds i believe) and a couple of small plastic tubs of .99 BD/dvd's. Not that great of a selection but the wife and I pick up a few. The guy working there was discounting each title and somehow paid us to take Silent House(9.99 - 10.50).

Picked up the following...

Broken Arrow
Piranha 3DD(non-3D version)
Silent House
Night Train
The Code
The Punisher
From Paris with Love($1.00) (had a ton of these)
Nurse Jackie S1 dvd discs 1-3($1 per disc)

Video games were 50% off marked price.
Old 12-11-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Damn, wish I had seen this thread before I drove from Raleigh to Charlotte this morning.
Old 12-15-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Long Beach Mississippi BBV is also closing this weekend, went today for some .99 blu ray goodness and walked out with about 20 titles
Old 12-15-12, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by lewisb73 View Post
Long Beach Mississippi BBV is also closing this weekend, went today for some .99 blu ray goodness and walked out with about 20 titles
Was it really 99c BD goodness or 99c BD dregs?

No stores have closed in my area for a very long time (June), and I just did my once a month check where I type in a recent rental title (like Continental Drift) to see if any stores don't have it for rent. They all do, so none are closing.

Anyway, what I remember for the 6+ store closings I did attend in the final week is that by the time the prices go under $2 (and to some degree even under $4) every store had the same batch of BDs left in the end (for a reason) so I find it difficult to call them BD "goodness". Sure, some of them are OK and it's no more expensive than a rental at 99c so I bought several of them, but I did it realize I was buying the dregs.

I have a wild guess that if any more stores close in my area, even in 6 months or another year time, I'd probably see the same group of 99c BDs in the end again which include ones like: Witless Protection, High School Musical Remix, Lost Boys 3, Trespass, The Stepfather, Bunraku, Good Luck Chuck, Scorpion King 3, etc.
Old 12-15-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got GOOD stuff... Geez...
Attack the Block, Moonraker, Deliverance, Bernie, the Illusionist (animated), Sweeney Todd, Up in the Air, we need to talk about Kevin, The Sand Pebbles, Lockout, J Edgar, Contagion...

Yeah, real crappy titles for a buck... Picked up a few copies of For Greater Glory... Listed them, two have sold, nearly paying for the others. Most of these titles listed would get more in trade in value at Moviestop, many eligible for the trade 2 for 1 new release... Which I've done a ton since these closings began, I have most every decent upcoming title on reserve for essentially $2, unless I upgrade on 3d titles. In that case I just use my extra store credit I've accumulated.
Old 12-17-12, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 306 Likes on 256 Posts

One in northwest Seattle closing. Haven't made it in to check titles.
Old 12-17-12, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by lewisb73 View Post
I got GOOD stuff... Geez...
Attack the Block, Moonraker, Deliverance, Bernie, the Illusionist (animated), Sweeney Todd, Up in the Air, we need to talk about Kevin, The Sand Pebbles, Lockout, J Edgar, Contagion...
I am surprised. I don't know Attack the Block, Bernie, or We Need to Talk about Kevin, but the rest are decent titles and I'm pretty surprised those were left at 99c each at a Blockbuster closing. No BD titles of that that calibur were available at any of my numerous Blockbuster closings when the prices got to $1 (or even $2). Of course it also depends on the area. Apparently good titles last longer in less populated areas (and I don't live in such an area).
Old 12-17-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
I am surprised. I don't know Attack the Block, Bernie, or We Need to Talk about Kevin, but the rest are decent titles and I'm pretty surprised those were left at 99c each at a Blockbuster closing. No BD titles of that that calibur were available at any of my numerous Blockbuster closings when the prices got to $1 (or even $2). Of course it also depends on the area. Apparently good titles last longer in less populated areas (and I don't live in such an area).
What I did was watch We Need to talk about Kevin (great movie about a troubled youth who instigated a school massacre), and For Greater Glory... Sold both for about $25 after amazon fees... Now I've made money..

Took 12 of the other titles and traded in at moviestop, 4 titles were eligible in the trade 2 get 1 new release, so I reserved a couple titles: Looper and Taken 2

With the credit I had left I found a factory sealed, but marked used Batman digibook, which I just listed for $80 on amazon... Also picked up Paris Texas criterion blu 7.99 for myself

The nice thing about the sales I've taken advantage of was they were staggered enough to have some freshness in the titles available. Yeah, there were copies of Please Give, Trespass, Love Ranch and others I've seen at other sales in great abundance... But there were enough new titles to make the trip worth it.
Old 01-14-13, 09:09 PM

The Abington, PA Blockbuster is closing this Sunday, all titles are currently $1.99. DVD selection is "don't even bother" abysmal, but there were enough Blu-rays to make it interesting...I guess. Left with:

Source Code (no extras)
The Devil's Rejects
Bernie
Puncture
Red Lights
Rampart
The Beaver
Conan the Barbarian (2011, no extras)
Killing Bono
The Punisher

Other Blu-rays seen: several used copies left of Capitalism: A Love Story, Conan 2011, Intruders, Paranormal Activity, Paranormal Activity 3, and True Blood S2. One copy left of Animal Kingdom, An Education, A Serious Man. A new copy of Resident Evil Afterlife for $3.
Old 01-22-13, 06:53 AM

Here we go again:

Blockbuster To Close 300 U.S. Stores:

That represents 35% of the 850 domestic Blockbuster stores that Dish Network reported it still had at the end of September. “Some of the approximately 300 stores are reaching the end of their lease and others are closing based on overall performance,” company spokesman John Hall says. He adds that Dish still sees “value in the Blockbuster brand” but that Dish “will continue to analyze store level profitability and – as we have in the past – close unprofitable stores.” The decision follows last week’s announcement that Dish put Blockbuster UK into administration — the equivalent of bankruptcy. Dish has been struggling with the video retail chain since April 2011 when it paid $238M to take it out of bankruptcy. In Q3 — the first quarter that offered a clean comparison with the previous year — Blockbuster generated an $11.9M operating loss, down from a $3.6M profit in 2011, on revenues of $230.9M, -33.5%. Dish CEO Joe Clayton told analysts in November that he was hopeful new marketing strategies and improved in-store displays would boost Blockbuster rentals in Q4, “which is traditionally the highest performing quarter for all retailers.” He added that he planned to “focus on individual store profitability and the execution of our long-term strategy.”

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/bloc...se-300-stores/
Old 01-22-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 121 Likes on 100 Posts

I went into a local Blockbuster a few weeks ago since I was getting something to eat nearby. There were a number of new releases out that week, but this store only had ONE of them in stock for sale, the rest they didn't even bother with (of course the price on the one they did have wasn't even competitive with other stores.) I haven't rented anything since the VHS days, so if Blockbuster doesn't want to change they can just hurry up and die.
Old 01-22-13, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jackson walker View Post
Here we go again:

Blockbuster To Close 300 U.S. Stores:

That represents 35% of the 850 domestic Blockbuster stores that Dish Network reported it still had at the end of September. “Some of the approximately 300 stores are reaching the end of their lease and others are closing based on overall performance,” company spokesman John Hall says. He adds that Dish still sees “value in the Blockbuster brand” but that Dish “will continue to analyze store level profitability and – as we have in the past – close unprofitable stores.” The decision follows last week’s announcement that Dish put Blockbuster UK into administration — the equivalent of bankruptcy. Dish has been struggling with the video retail chain since April 2011 when it paid $238M to take it out of bankruptcy. In Q3 — the first quarter that offered a clean comparison with the previous year — Blockbuster generated an $11.9M operating loss, down from a $3.6M profit in 2011, on revenues of $230.9M, -33.5%. Dish CEO Joe Clayton told analysts in November that he was hopeful new marketing strategies and improved in-store displays would boost Blockbuster rentals in Q4, “which is traditionally the highest performing quarter for all retailers.” He added that he planned to “focus on individual store profitability and the execution of our long-term strategy.”

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/bloc...se-300-stores/
Has a list come out yet of the affected branches?
Old 01-23-13, 06:55 PM

ronkonkoma,ny is closing in april they said
Old 01-23-13, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I went into a local Blockbuster a few weeks ago since I was getting something to eat nearby. There were a number of new releases out that week, but this store only had ONE of them in stock for sale, the rest they didn't even bother with (of course the price on the one they did have wasn't even competitive with other stores.) I haven't rented anything since the VHS days, so if Blockbuster doesn't want to change they can just hurry up and die.
Yep, they're going under because of their refusal to adapt. They've always had really high prices for stuff they're selling and charging $5 for a movie rental is ridiculous in the year 2013.
Old 01-24-13, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
Yep, they're going under because of their refusal to adapt. They've always had really high prices for stuff they're selling and charging $5 for a movie rental is ridiculous in the year 2013.
Yes, even the highly overpriced Amazon instant video is rarely more than $4.99 for a rental and you don't have to leave your home for that. Though I've never used Red Box (due to never having enough time), I can't see why anyone would go to Blockbuster to rent a new release instead of Red Box. Netflix is great (and I have a "free" 1 year subscription) except Netflix's streaming selections sucks royally. Still there are at least 50 movies on it I'd like to watch. I've had Netflix since around BF and I've watched exactly 6 movies on it. That's why I never wanted to pay for it... I so rarely have a 2 hour block of free time except on weekends.

Blockbuster has closed so many stores that none are sufficiently close. They used to send me free rental coupons in email and I never used them because the time and gas is more than it's worth. If more stores close in my area, I'll hit them in the last 1-2 weeks of the sale, but I don't expect to see much different than the same cheap BDs nobody wants at the previous store closings a year or two ago.
Old 01-24-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

What did you complain about to get NF for free for a year?
Old 01-24-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Did Blockbuster really still have $5 rentals? I know most of the store were $1 a day, but some new releases were more.
Old 01-24-13, 11:11 AM

Back in the 90's it was $5 to rent a dvd. They had truly awful customer service and gleefully fucked people with exorbitant late fees. A buddy of mines family paid over $1000 worth over the course of a couple years. They tried to screw me over once and even threatened to sue me. I told them to go fuck themselves because I knew for a fact I'd returned their damn movie. Never once went back and I'm glad to see them fail.

Last edited by danfindlay; 01-24-13 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-24-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 111 Likes on 54 Posts

Seems as good a place as any to put this as anywhere, but Blockbuster is running a B1G1F sale on PV blu-rays this week. They've got a lot of newish releases out and prices with the sale come to $3.50 to $6.50 per disc.
Old 01-28-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped in the Grosse Point (Village), MI location this evening and they didn't have many good BDs for the BOGO, but a clerk came up and told me it was closing and the "liquidation" would start tomorrow, with stuff 20% off and then dropping 10% per week from there. Pfffft. This means the closest location to my g/f's place is 8 miles away. (9 Mile & Gratiot) They're rapidly going extinct. It's gonna be even tougher to score cheap PPV movies soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.