Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

Old 04-18-13, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
I'm not sure how it works, but I know that when the most recent store by me closed, they had some previously viewed games the last week that weren't there before
Thanks.
Not sure whether I'll make the trip or not.
Old 04-18-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rarely ever find and decent game deals at closing BB's, to the point where I dont even have to bother looking, what's sad is when the deals available before the closing are almost always better than when they actually do begin closing markdowns... the BOGO sales of days past were legendary
Old 04-18-13, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My local store went down to $.99 for all movies today. They're still scheduled to close on Sunday.

Picked up 14 BDs: Whiteout, Echelon Conspiracy, Solitary Man, Daybreakers, Insidious, Buried, Crazy Heart, Source Code, The Big Year, Jeff Who Lives At Home, For Greater Glory, The Debt, In The Electric Mist, and Invention of Lying.

Plus one DVD: Henry V (Branagh) w/no cover art

They told me they did get recent additional shipments of coverless DVDs, but not BDs.
Old 04-19-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My gut feeling is they probably box up what is left from a closed site then send it to a remaining site close to it.
Old 04-19-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
They told me they did get recent additional shipments of coverless DVDs, but not BDs.
Same here, though I didn't feel like spending two hours searching through them all. I did spot the Anchor Bay Phantasm disc, which I bought to upgrade my non-anamorphic MGM copy. I'm tired of waiting for them to release it on blu-ray.

I really bought more than I should have today -- but at 99 cents, I figure it should be easy to sell anything I don't like (probably for a profit). That these were the best titles I could find should give an indication of what the selection was like:

BD: 28 Weeks Later, Bad Lieutenant: POCNO, Bangkok Dangerous, Beginners, Bernie, Bunraku, Conan Remake, The Debt, Jumping the Broom, Layer Cake, Love Ranch, Milk, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, Trespass

DVD: Burke & Hare (John Landis), Butter, Dust Up, I Kissed a Vampire, The Loved Ones, Micmacs, Mother (Korean), Perfect Sense, Phantasm (disc only)

UPDATE: Out of curiosity, I just stopped in to see what it looked like today. Apart from half a dozen copies of Love Ranch and one copy of Duplicity without the cover art, the blu-rays had been cleaned out. There were easily 200+ yesterday morning. About half the DVDs were also gone (and those were some truly terrible titles).

Last edited by joe_b; 04-20-13 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-20-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
Same here, though I didn't feel like spending two hours searching through them all.

I really bought more than I should have today -- but at 99 cents, I figure it should be easy to sell anything I don't like (probably for a profit). That these were the best titles I could find should give an indication of what the selection was like:
Though I haven't been to a Blockbuster store closing in almost a year (since no more have closed in my area since then), I remember the feeling well of being overwhelmed. I spent a while (1-2 hours) and finally gave up. One guy there actually went through every single tightly packed DVD sleeve box. He was there before I started and when I left I asked him how long he'd been there and he said 4 hours and he still hadn't finished. To quote Han Solo "no rewards is worth this".

Where do you find yourself easily able to sell any used DVD over $1? I'd love to find such a magical place in my area. It surely isn't at garage sales or swap meets. Put out a box of 50 used DVDs at $2 and sell maybe 10. Put them at $1 and sell maybe half. I have many movies I can't get rid of for $1 and just keep them in reserve as potential trade-ins.
Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
BD: 28 Weeks Later, Bad Lieutenant: POCNO, Bangkok Dangerous, Beginners, Bernie, Bunraku, Conan Remake, The Debt, Jumping the Broom, Layer Cake, Love Ranch, Milk, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, Trespass
By Pocno do you mean Ponyo (an excellent movie BTW)? Apart from Jumping the Broom, IIRC every single one of those BD titles were available at last year's store closings near the end. So it just tells me that history repeats itself and when you get down in the $1-$3 range you'll pretty much find the same group of BD titles at every Blockbuster store closing.

Thanks for posting. I like to read other people's store closing experiences, though unless they close the remaining 6 stores in my area I guess it won't matter for me.
Old 04-20-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Where do you find yourself easily able to sell any used DVD over $1? I'd love to find such a magical place in my area. It surely isn't at garage sales or swap meets.
I was mainly referring to the BDs -- and yes, yard sales are an option. In my area, it's still pretty easy to sell old VHS movies 2 for a $1. My town is full of junk lovers.

I doubt I'd have much trouble selling most of the DVDs for a buck each -- and there's always Amazon credit for some of the smaller label titles that command a bit more than $1. I'll probably hang on to most of them, though.
Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
By Pocno do you mean Ponyo (an excellent movie BTW)?
I wish! I bought Ponyo soon after it was released and paid a lot more than 99 cents for it.

POCNO was just me abbreviating "Port of Call New Orleans".