DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 09-29-17, 04:20 PM   #376
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Big Lots Blu-rays

Family & Friends 20% sale this weekend.

Stopped in my store tonight to see if it was worth stopping by tomorrow. There were quite a few new to me BDs priced at $5.

There was a version of the '90s Dracula (like the one pictured here: https://smile.amazon.com/Stokers-Dra...ula+blu+ray+4k) that I had never seen. Also a 3-disc Moneyball and a double feature of Hotel Transylvania/Monster House.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 09-29-17, 06:48 PM   #377

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be there. Think I'll grab the Garbo and Carol Lombard sets and the Will Rogers set on DVD, which I'd passed on last time. A shame we don't have a better selection of Blu-Rays locally, but hope springs eternal.
Old 09-29-17, 07:18 PM   #378
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here, those sets disappeared weeks ago, unless they've restocked this week.
Old 09-29-17, 08:22 PM   #379

The BL store I'm thinking of doesn't get lots of foot traffic. Those sets were still available as of last weekend, but I'm not expecting anything more.
Old 09-30-17, 07:23 AM   #380
DVD Talk Reviewer

Might have to finally pick up Ice Age 2, the only one I don't have in hi-def (the regular DVD looks like ass.)

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 09-30-17, 08:17 PM   #381

Had a good afternoon. I managed to grab everything mentioned above, plus a Super Friends: Legendary Super Powers Show DVD set...mostly because it was $4 with the discount.

Then decided to drive on to the Hanover store, which I hadn't visited in years. They were actually even more picked-over than my local store, but I did find the Bram Stoker's Dracula Supreme Cinema Series BD that Cardsfan mentioned above. I'd never seen anything like it before either:

The front and back of the digbook are lucite-like, but the disk is still housed in a cardboard sleeve. Not very practical, but it looks cool.

Otherwise it was the same old stock...although Hanover still has over half the "King of Queens" series if anybody's local and interested.
Old 09-30-17, 08:41 PM   #382
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, that's a good find. Nothing new in the 4 SoCal stores near me - someone, please buy those Disney stuff and end it already
Old 10-01-17, 12:06 AM   #383

found The Bourne Ultimatum, The Exorcist (extended version) (BD) and Ford at Fox - 2 silents (DVD) in addition to the Dracula Supreme Series. All pleasant surprises.

Everything else was same-o same-o. And those $10 used films are just insane....
Old 10-01-17, 12:24 AM   #384
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaman View Post
found The Bourne Ultimatum, The Exorcist (extended version) (BD) and Ford at Fox - 2 silents (DVD) in addition to the Dracula Supreme Series. All pleasant surprises.

Everything else was same-o same-o. And those $10 used films are just insane....
awesome. Hopefully they'll make it to the west coast sometime. Of course, past the promotion date. Checked 2 more SoCal stores - same old, same old. Saw a lot of James Bond DVDs been dumped
Old 10-01-17, 01:03 AM   #385

How much are the Ford at Fox? Is it the box or single discs?
Old 10-01-17, 07:41 AM   #386

sorry - should have been clearer. It was a single DVD with 2 movies.. for $2.40. It was the only Ford at Fox I saw.
Old 10-01-17, 07:05 PM   #387

I hit the Pearl Street superstore at about 3 PM. They were either pretty picked out, or they may have just not gotten much for awhile.

Their were a number of titles new to me at BL, but most were not familiar to me or were junk.

I bought the Moneyball 3 pack & a Rum Diaries DVD.
Old 10-01-17, 09:35 PM   #388
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't even bother to go in this weekend. That's a first as I've hit every 20% off sale since the store here opened.

The last time I checked the media section there was nothing but old, very picked over, stock. I think I've purchased 6 titles from BL this year. I used to purchase that many, or more, every week.
Old 10-01-17, 11:02 PM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Checked 2 more SoCal stores - same old, same old. Saw a lot of James Bond DVDs been dumped

Stopped by one store and what you said sums up what I saw today...
Old 10-19-17, 12:49 PM   #390
DVD Talk Legend

I know we've had discussions in the past about the random frequency of Big Lots coupons. I'd say I've usually received one every other month on average. However, I got one today. And that makes 3 in the last month. Anyone else seeing an increase?

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 10-19-17, 01:10 PM   #391
DVD Talk Legend

I just received the first $5 off $15 I've ever gotten after years of regular coupons. Once their DVD section started filling with junk, I stopped regularly going to Big Lots at all. I haven't been in one in six months.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 10-19-17, 02:05 PM   #392
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a $5 off $15 today as well. That's the first in 4-8 weeks for me (don't know for sure - lost track). Before the last F&F 20% off I was getting a $5 off $20 about every 2-3 weeks with some months seeing one every week. The last one before today was 2 weeks before the last F&F event and none since. I also passed on that F&F - first one ever I didn't at least buy some snacks.
Old 10-20-17, 12:11 AM   #393

I got 1 also.