Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Big Lots Blu-rays

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: Big Lots Blu-rays

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Just out of curiosity, how do you get these coupons ? Am signed up for their promotional offers and have a store card
I've noticed they tend to send out a personal coupon if you went a long time between shopping trips and recently visited the store.
Old 08-28-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've noticed they tend to send out a personal coupon if you went a long time between shopping trips and recently visited the store.
I think this is true. I went over a year without seeing one then I got two $5 off $20 in a row, a week apart. I used both but have not gotten anything else. I think they both ended up in my spam folder too, even though I have the sending address in my contacts list.
Old 08-28-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The local BL got a fairly large restock (mostly dvd, but a few blus). Unfortunately the only thing I found particularly cool was Marlene Dietrich: The Glamor Collection (DVD Set) which I already bought from BL for $5 (now it's $8).

I did buy Point Pleasant complete 3 disc series (1 season) for $3 as a blind buy.

I came up $2 short for my $5 off $15 so I put back 2 blu-rays at $5: The Graduate & Fargo (the film).

I was told much of the store's Monday delivery wasn't out yet, so I will try to either go back or hit the other local BL. They FINALLY sold their token Will Rogers box (sad it took over a month at $8)
Old 08-29-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Point Pleasant is worth a blind buy at that price. I remember when it first aired and the network dumped it without much regard.
Old 08-30-17, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Point Pleasant is worth a blind buy at that price. I remember when it first aired and the network dumped it without much regard.
It's certainly full of eye candy for us males!

I also noticed the actor who played "Jesse" on Breaking Bad in the first couple minutes, hope it was more than a walk on.
Old 08-31-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Picked up these two from a store near me for $3 each:

Rob Roy (MGM Walmart exclusive): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rob-Roy-Blu-ray/103387/
Born Bad (Asylum): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Born-Bad-Blu-ray/29367/
Old 08-31-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lots of new stuff today; but imo was mostly junk.

Used my coupon on $3 Across The Universe blu/dvd (they had several); + the $5 blus I put back the other day: Fargo (movie) & The Graduate. Bought a little food to hit $15.
Old 08-31-17, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Lots of new stuff today; but imo was mostly junk.

Used my coupon on $3 Across The Universe blu/dvd (they had several); + the $5 blus I put back the other day: Fargo (movie) & The Graduate. Bought a little food to hit $15.
wow, you bet there's a restock. another store near me was filled to the brim with a ton of new BDs and DVDs. Lot of Fox titles followed by Sony and most priced at $5. The Disney titles were mixed in as well. Nice classic movies on DVD like Cimmarron, Man from Laramie, Jack Lemmon collection, Warners Bogey titles and others. While am not thrilled at paying $5 per title, I did make an exception and picked up the following:

DVD:

Saving Mr.Wu (a Well Go Asian action flick) - $3
The Missing (Extended Cut edition - Tommy Lee Jones, Cate Blanchett) - $3 (what a pity this isn't on BD yet)

BD:
The Raven (John Cusack) - $3
Aloha - $5
Moneyball - 3 Disc Walmart Exclusive edition - $5
Hitman (with UV) - $5

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 08-31-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-01-17, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Missing-Extended Cut is a great film, it would be a great get if I didn't already have it. Highly recommended.
Old 09-01-17, 06:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob Roy (MGM Walmart exclusive): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rob-Roy-Blu-ray/103387/
Yeah, I would take Rob Roy in a heartbeat, fantastic flic. I do already have it on Blu-ray but the VUDU Digital Copy that it comes with (provided it ain't expired) is easily worth the $3 by itself. (and the disc is not D2D)
Old 09-01-17, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow, you bet there's a restock. another store near me was filled to the brim with a ton of new BDs and DVDs. Lot of Fox titles followed by Sony and most priced at $5. The Disney titles were mixed in as well. Nice classic movies on DVD like Cimmarron, Man from Laramie, Jack Lemmon collection, Warners Bogey titles and others. While am not thrilled at paying $5 per title, I did make an exception and picked up the following:

DVD:

Saving Mr.Wu (a Well Go Asian action flick) - $3
The Missing (Extended Cut edition - Tommy Lee Jones, Cate Blanchett) - $3 (what a pity this isn't on BD yet)

BD:
The Raven (John Cusack) - $3
Aloha - $5
Moneyball - 3 Disc Walmart Exclusive edition - $5
Hitman (with UV) - $5
No classic at the store I was at today or yesterday.
Old 09-01-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a unique & unpleasant experience today at the BL on 72nd in Tacoma, WA.

Yesterday, I purchased "Across the Universe Blu-ray/DVD Combo for $3 - coupon.

Took it home, opened it & it was missing the blu. I returned it today with all packaging & a receipt & requested an exchange. The clerk said she had to get manager's approval because I might have stolen the disc (her words). The manager did approve it it with no hassle; but I found this quite insulting. I opened the other one in the store & it did have both discs.

I hope BL management reads this. Not a good way to treat a regular customer of many years.
Old 09-01-17, 11:36 PM

I had a unique & unpleasant experience today at the BL on 72nd in Tacoma, WA.

Yesterday, I purchased "Across the Universe Blu-ray/DVD Combo for $3 - coupon.

Took it home, opened it & it was missing the blu. I returned it today with all packaging & a receipt & requested an exchange. The clerk said she had to get manager's approval because I might have stolen the disc (her words). The manager did approve it it with no hassle; but I found this quite insulting. I opened the other one in the store & it did have both discs.

I hope BL management reads this. Not a good way to treat a regular customer of many years.
While it does feel that way, try to look at it from their side as well - agree that the choice of words weren't apt, BL store personnel aren't exactly groomed in the art of speak. Imagine if your eBay customer claimed the same - that the disc was missing, what would be your gut reaction ? A similar thing happened in Barnes and Noble a couple of years ago when a seemingly well mannered/spoken young man at the register said the same to me. Spontaneity 'demanded' that I feel enraged and insulted but nothing's gained by it. I spoke to a Manager, she was apologetic and I mentioned to her that choice of words are important if you need returning customers. Glad that at the end, it worked out for you. In your case, you could have contacted Sony directly - their customer service is much better than any other studio's.

On a related note, back in May, I purchased 'Breakfast Club' from Frys on a weekend sale. As is the norm with many of us, I didn't around to viewing it until a month later. When I opened the shrinkwrap and the case, there was no disc inside, just the UV code sheet. I immediately called Universal - mistake as no one receives a call, its just a call box for leaving messages. I wrote Universal, a few days later they sent me a response asking me to direct the question to another email they provided and that I would receive a replacement copy. I have not heard back to date, despite a couple of reminders. Reached out to Frys but they don't have this in stock no more.
Old 09-01-17, 11:48 PM

visited 3 other SoCal stores today for the following haul:

DVD - $3 each:

My Reputation (WB *ing Barbara Stanwcyk)
Hangman's House/3 Bad Men (Ford at Fox Silent collection) - there were quite a few of these
Jack and Cuckoo-Clock Heart (Shout Factory)
This is Where I leave You (Indie) - was marked $5 but rang up as $1.25

BD - $3 each:

Jane Austen Book Club
13 Going on 30
Across the Universe
The Vow
A Million Ways to Die in the West (with Slip and UV)
We Bought a Zoo (with UV)
127 Hours (with UV)
Death Wish 3
Walking with Dinosaurs - the Movie (with UV)
One Hour Photo

BD - $5 each:

Out of the Furnace (with UV)
Godzilla (1998 - Mastered in 4K cover)
Old 09-02-17, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own 127 HOURS and ONE HOUR PHOTO on dvd, good flicks. OUT OF THE FURNACE is a good drama, no extras really on the disc though.
Old 09-02-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope it gets better. I'm through 3 episodes & it feels like General Hospital for teens with some Satanism thrown in!
Old 09-03-17, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Visited the local BL today and noticed the odd new disk but not the cornucopia others are describing and it's getting depressing. They get maybe one out of three new finds listed here, but rarely the ones I'm desiring. And as I visit a few BL stores, this doesn't seem to be a case of a reseller plucking them dry. Stores in the next county still have copies of the Target Fantastic Four BD digibook...which for curiosity value I'd think would be first to go...but little else that's exciting.

I did buy a copy of "Thank You for Smoking" on DVD for $3, which I think was new.
Old 09-03-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope it gets better. I'm through 3 episodes & it feels like General Hospital for teens with some Satanism thrown in!
I didn't say it was going to change your life. From what I remember it was like a Satanic version of Dark Shadows.
Old 09-14-17, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw the new batch today. Only blu I even found memorable was Moneyball 3 disc (1 br 2 DVD) for $5.
Their were several more new ones I've never heard of
Old 09-20-17, 12:24 PM

Laidback,

I got a copy of one of those Rob Roy's today @ Big Lots. Did yours have a digital copy inside? Just curious before I open mine. I forgot I own it already, but I'll keep it if yours had a DC.
Old 09-20-17, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Laidback,

I got a copy of one of those Rob Roy's today @ Big Lots. Did yours have a digital copy inside? Just curious before I open mine. I forgot I own it already, but I'll keep it if yours had a DC.
Kedrix, confirming it does NOT have a DC.
Old 09-20-17, 01:54 PM

Kedrix, confirming it does NOT have a DC.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I'll check my copy at home to make sure my original copy isn't somehow beat up 5 ways to sunday and then return my BL copy (if anybody is looking for it, I'll probably won't return it before Friday). Oh wells...its just the kinda week I'm having.
Old 09-23-17, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Yeah, I would take Rob Roy in a heartbeat, fantastic flic. I do already have it on Blu-ray but the VUDU Digital Copy that it comes with (provided it ain't expired) is easily worth the $3 by itself. (and the disc is not D2D)
I've never seen the film, but made a few trips out of town recently and noticed two or three copies at other BL stores, but passed because there weren't any extras and figured it was a Redbox (etc.) variant. Just realized that Fox went cheap on this one...not even a trailer. Per everybody's recommendation, will look for it again the next time I'm driving.

Am I right in thinking there will be another Friends & Family sale in the next few weeks?
Old 09-29-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Family & Friends 20% sale this weekend.

Stopped in my store tonight to see if it was worth stopping by tomorrow. There were quite a few new to me BDs priced at $5.

There was a version of the '90s Dracula (like the one pictured here: https://smile.amazon.com/Stokers-Dra...ula+blu+ray+4k) that I had never seen. Also a 3-disc Moneyball and a double feature of Hotel Transylvania/Monster House.
Old 09-29-17, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be there. Think I'll grab the Garbo and Carol Lombard sets and the Will Rogers set on DVD, which I'd passed on last time. A shame we don't have a better selection of Blu-Rays locally, but hope springs eternal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.