Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Big Lots Blu-rays

Old 11-03-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 568 Likes on 425 Posts
Big Lots Blu-rays

Just received an email flyer with these advertised at $8, starting Nov. 6. Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I didn't see a thread. Looks like the usual bargain Blu suspects (Rush Hour, Out For Justice, Speed Racer, Get Smart) that you've probably seen everywhere else (possibly even cheaper), but I suppose there could be some surprises buried in the piles:

http://www.biglots.com/browseItem/as...02&storeId=835

(site suddenly when "down for maintenance" shortly after I posted the link; hopefully it'll be back up soon)

Last edited by Brian T; 04-29-13 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-03-11, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Blu-rays

I saw a display of blu-rays at Big Lots last Saturday, so they may already be out at your local Big Lots.
Old 11-03-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The site shows Rush Hour 3, Nights in Rodanthe, The Invasion, Yes Man and Out for Justice. 4 of those are WB titles and Rush Hour is of course New Line. I am somewhat interested to see what else, but not sure I'll get to a Big Lots anytime soon.
Old 11-03-11, 01:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
The site shows Rush Hour 3, Nights in Rodanthe, The Invasion, Yes Man and Out for Justice. 4 of those are WB titles and Rush Hour is of course New Line. I am somewhat interested to see what else, but not sure I'll get to a Big Lots anytime soon.
Actually they're all WB since WB owns New Line now.
Old 11-03-11, 02:09 PM

In addition to what's in the ad, I saw a couple of the ones Brian T mentioned, Speed Racer and Get Smart, also Hairspray. Can't remember what else, if anything.
Old 11-03-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't seen these yet, but the last wave (Robocop, Rambo, Road House, Walking Tall, Stargate, etc.) was about a week after I seen them mentioned so I'll check Sunday. I believe last time it was just in the main Big Lots thread.
Old 11-03-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 568 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison
I haven't seen these yet, but the last wave (Robocop, Rambo, Road House, Walking Tall, Stargate, etc.) was about a week after I seen them mentioned so I'll check Sunday. I believe last time it was just in the main Big Lots thread.
Inevitably we'll see more Blu-rays turn up at Big Lots in the future, so hopefully this thread can be updated from time to time.
Old 11-04-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Big Lots closest to me doesn't have them yet, but I may check the next nearest one tomorrow. Even though they are an older store, sometimes they seem to get better stuff.
Old 11-04-11, 05:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I saw the "new" batch and it was nothing that hasn't shown up at Ross in the past. In addition to the ones mentioned License To Wed, Hairspray and 17 Again are the only others I remember.
Old 11-04-11, 09:23 AM

I saw the BD "display" at my BL which has been there for a few weeks. It was a tiny box (as in only 1 BD wide and maybe 20 deep) sitting on the glass case near the checkout line with many of the $8 BDs mentioned... none of which interested me at that price (or I already had). While I'm confident that we'll get more BDs and bigger displays at BL eventually, $8 just seems too high for old catalog BD releases. $5 ($6 tops) is the price BL's BDs need to be for me to become interested... especially if all BL is going to carry is old stuff, chances are extremely high I will have already found them for less than $8 (typically from Amazon, Target, or Blockbuster... or Walmart on BF) long before they reach BL. Those Lionsgate BDs were $5 at Target on BF a couple years ago, so $8 now at BL... kind of slow and late to the party.
Old 11-04-11, 10:12 AM
Suspended

^ I remember when they first started selling DVDs years ago(not the big box displays like now), the high prices for complete garbage. Crap you never heard of. Pricing them high for people who dont know better, and they are doing the same thing with the few BD they have got so far. And people will buy these $5 BD at $8 because alot of people still think all BD are over $30 at big stores.
Old 11-04-11, 11:26 AM
Banned

These titles aren't worth a BD upgrade for $8. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being $5 [or less] on BF..
Old 11-05-11, 02:41 PM

I was looking at them earlier and noticed all of them at my store someone had taken a box cutter to the upc's. These were completely sealed with factory shrinkwrap that had no marks on the shrinkwrap. So appears to me this was done at where ever these came from. Most of them were so bad they actually cut in to the case itself. . Maybe it's something Warner has started doing with these overstocked titles when they sell them to places like Big Lots. Not sure why if they were going to re-shrink these they would not just cut the upc out instead of messing up the cover and case.

Last edited by psychopuppet420; 11-05-11 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-05-11, 03:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

The NoHo store on Vineland Ave got these in. There's a standing display by the front register. A few other unmentioned titles I saw:
Rest Stop
TMNTurtles
Fred Claus
House of Wax
Old 11-06-11, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by psychopuppet420
I was looking at them earlier and noticed all of them at my store someone had taken a box cutter to the upc's. These were completely sealed with factory shrinkwrap that had no marks on the shrinkwrap. So appears to me this was done at where ever these came from. Most of them were so bad they actually cut in to the case itself. . Maybe it's something Warner has started doing with these overstocked titles when they sell them to places like Big Lots. Not sure why if they were going to re-shrink these they would not just cut the upc out instead of messing up the cover and case.
Interesting. I've never seen UPCs slashed with the shrinkwrap intact. Normally they're done by a machine that damages both the shrinkwrap and the case slightly. The whole point, as I'm sure you know, in slashing UPCs is so that you can't return those items to any store for credit, so whoever buys them in bulk (like Big Lots or Ross) gets a better deal on them. I don't know if FYE would take slashed UPCs in trade-in... probably not knowing how fussy they are. So I look at slashed UPC items as "you keep it forever... all sales final" purchases which impact how much I'll pay.
Old 11-07-11, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison
These titles have been at WM and Target for $5. Not sure about the new ones listed by the OpP.
Old 11-07-11, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by conehead433
These titles have been at WM and Target for $5. Not sure about the new ones listed by the OpP.
ONLINE only, right? For anyone who doesn't want to order online and wait to receive it, $8 is about average you can find it in-store. Other than last BF, I've never seen $5 Blu-rays at Walmart. And never saw the titles listed here at my local Target, for $5.
Old 11-07-11, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by psychopuppet420
The one title I bought was definitely slashed through the shrinkwrap, but the white sticker on the back of the shrinkwrap was covering it up so you couldnt see the slash until you opened it. I peeled off the white sticker cuz I was curious, and sure enough, it was slashed through the shrinkwrap.
Old 11-08-11, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by supermike07
ONLINE only, right? For anyone who doesn't want to order online and wait to receive it, $8 is about average you can find it in-store. Other than last BF, I've never seen $5 Blu-rays at Walmart. And never saw the titles listed here at my local Target, for $5.
Most of the $5 BDs at Target (the Lionsgate titles) occurred on BF (and the day after) in 2009. You're right that Walmart only has $5 BDs on BF. Then of course there are a handful of seemingly perpetual $5 BD titles at Target that people have discussed in the Target BD thread, and then of course there's a small section of mystical $5 Target BDs that only a few people have seen.

I feel confident in passing on all $8 BDs at BL because if BL got them then most likely Walmart or Amazon got them too and they'll show up cheaper at one of those places (even if it's only on BF). They probably call studios and say "do you have any old overstock BDs we can buy in bulk for $1-$2 each so we can sell them on BF at $5?" and they usually get more Lionsgate and mostly the same old stuff we see each year.
Old 11-08-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found a shelf of these last night, definitely more than the last little cardboard display. All were $8, and this store still had a couple of the old wave mixed in (Saw, and Rambo). Here are the titles I saw with the lowest online price after it (x.xx).

House of Wax ($9.24)
Fred Claus ($13.07)
Yes Man ($9.99)
The Invasion ($7.99)
Rush Hour 3 ($7.99)
Nights in Rodanthe ($12.08)
Get Smart ($9.30)
Rest Stop ($8.90) (I'm pretty sure this was the second one, Don't Look Back)
Hairspray ($9.49)
TMNT ($9.99)
Out for Justice ($9.72)
Speed Racer ($8.78)
Old 11-08-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do any of these (for those of you who have seen them) have their original slipcovers, or no? I'm betting not, but figured I'd ask.
Old 11-08-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kory
Do any of these (for those of you who have seen them) have their original slipcovers, or no? I'm betting not, but figured I'd ask.
I did not see ANY slipcovers on BD's at my Big Lots.

To add to Edison's list, I bought Four Christmases (best price $12.38 online)
Old 11-08-11, 05:36 PM

Edison, thanks for the list. As a silly little exercise (just a matter of looking it up in a spreadsheet), below is the reason I don't get too excited about $8 BDs (even if they're new):

House of Wax ($9.24) - got for 99c used at Blockbuster
Fred Claus ($13.07) - got for $5 used at HW Video
Yes Man ($9.99) - got for $4 used at Blockbuster
The Invasion ($7.99) - got for $4 used at Blockbuster, also was $7 new at Ross
Rush Hour 3 ($7.99) - got for $2.99 new at Fry's
Nights in Rodanthe ($12.08) - $5 new at WBShop.com (June 2010)
Get Smart ($9.30) - got for $4.95 new DVD2BLU
Hairspray ($9.49) - got for $3.99 used at HW Video
Rambo - got for $3.99 new at Target
Road House - got for $5 new at Walmart on BF
Robocop - got the Trilogy for $19.99 new at Walmart PM'd to Fry's
Saw - $6 new at Kmart
Speed Racer ($8.78) - got for $6.99 new at Amazon
Stargate - passed on the bad first release for $3.99 at Target and bought 15th Anniversary Edition for $8.49 new at Amazon

EDIT:
Originally Posted by kenbenobi
kenbenobi, I assume Four Christmases (with Reece Witherspoon) wasn't a blind buy for you? I read terrible reviews of it (I've never seen it), so I've passed on it repeatedly at Blockbuster in the 5 for $20 used deals. Is it better than people say? In fact, just last week I struggled to find a fifth title for the 5 for $20 and I chose to take something I've never seen which is probably bad (In the Name of the King) because I like Jason over Four Christmases because the Four Christmas reviews I saw were worse than the anti Uwe Boll reviews. It seems like Four Christmases has been at every Blockbuster I've been to for the last several months.

Last edited by Manzana; 11-08-11 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi

No slipcovers here either, and yeah I remember seeing Four Christmases too.
Old 04-27-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
BDs at Big Lots

Was just at a Big Lots and saw a few BDs, thought it was time to start a general thread for it (there's a thread in DVD Talk for Big Lots, and they will list BDs they find, but it seems there should be a separate thread here just for the BDs

Only saw a few at the West York, PA store:
Bunraku $3 (blindly picked this up, luckily I got home and checked and it has pretty good reviews)
Children of the Corn: Genesis $3
Semi-Pro $5
When Harry Met Sally $7

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.