Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Instead of running around town trying to find a target that has these in stock, use the online inventory checker
In the DC metro area, there's probably 2 dozen targets but only 2 shows as having them in stock.
Old 11-01-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally found Rounders for $5!
Old 11-01-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rounders
Swingers

Yesterday . So glad I passed on $12.99 each at BB on release.
Old 11-01-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re-bought The Others for $2, seeing as they now have a $3 coupon for it at coupons.com. I never thought I'd see the day I could buy a BD for 2 bucks, and a decent movie, too!
Old 11-01-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Re-bought The Others for $2, seeing as they now have a $3 coupon for it at coupons.com. I never thought I'd see the day I could buy a BD for 2 bucks, and a decent movie, too!
Biting tongue ... biting toungue ... can't resist ... So you bought The Others for $2. What was the decent movie you bought with it?
Old 11-02-11, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up The Doors, Swingers, Rounders, The Others ($2!), Gone Baby Gone, and Crank tonight. They didn't have Bad Santa UR. I wish Go would fall into this price range; terrific movie.
Old 11-02-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Biting tongue ... biting toungue ... can't resist ... So you bought The Others for $2. What was the decent movie you bought with it?
Old 11-02-11, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw "Sleepy Hollow" there for $8... any positive thoughts for this vs. the DVD version as far a quality?
Old 11-02-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by reverie
I saw "Sleepy Hollow" there for $8... any positive thoughts for this vs. the DVD version as far a quality?
The disc is 5 years old and is on a 25 GB single layer disc. The couple of reviews I read makes it look like a decent release given it's age and limitations.

If you absolutely want it in hi-def, I would grab it; otherwise I would wait to see if Paramount re-releases it with a new transfer and new features. Maybe in 2014 for it's 15th anniversary?
Old 11-03-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
If you absolutely want it in hi-def, I would grab it; otherwise I would wait to see if Paramount re-releases it with a new transfer and new features. Maybe in 2014 for it's 15th anniversary?
You will be waiting decades for Paramount to remaster Sleepy Hollow on Blu-ray. The next remastering will be for the next home video format.
Old 11-03-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay- so as long as the extras are all there, I guess I'm in! Thanks!
Old 11-04-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sleepy Hollow looks decent enough to warrant the upgrade if you like the film. It's not a 'reference quality' disc, but it's got enough increased detail, specifically due to the dark nature of the film, to be worth it. Same with From Hell, which has a similar dark look/feel.
Old 11-04-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Sleepy Hollow looks decent enough to warrant the upgrade if you like the film. It's not a 'reference quality' disc, but it's got enough increased detail, specifically due to the dark nature of the film, to be worth it. Same with From Hell, which has a similar dark look/feel.
That's good to know. I love "Sleepy Hollow", especially the look of it. I landed up picking it up the Blu-ray yesterday. I have looked at "From Hell" in stores, but passed for the time because it's got nothing in extras compared to the DVD. I like my upgrades Blu to have the same features at least; personal preference.

Target's having some great deals already.. hope Black Friday can keep up this year!
Old 11-06-11, 01:28 PM

I happened to go to the Target where my other stores keep claiming there are copies of Hostage and Rounders BDs for $5. So I look at all the shelves and see nothing but the same old $5 titles. I then ask the guy to look them up and he says they're not listed. I'm beginning to trust their inventory system less and less. Why did 2 other stores tell me to check this store. Sadly these don't show up online so the inventory checker isn't possible.

I assume people know that some of these titles (at least Hostage, Rounders, and Swingers) are $6.99 at Fry's this week. Of course that's still $2 more each, but I'm beginning to think only a few select stores across the country got those titles and who knows if they'll ever show up anywhere else.
Old 11-06-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
I happened to go to the Target where my other stores keep claiming there are copies of Hostage and Rounders BDs for $5. So I look at all the shelves and see nothing but the same old $5 titles. I then ask the guy to look them up and he says they're not listed. I'm beginning to trust their inventory system less and less. Why did 2 other stores tell me to check this store. Sadly these don't show up online so the inventory checker isn't possible.
Target knows these BDs are hot items at $5. I believe carrying them at a few, random locations is purposely done for viral marketing purposes on the Internet. Walmart started doing it last year and Target is starting to copy the practice.

The world of retail is absolutely ruthless and stores are having to work harder than ever to stay in business against the likes of Amazon. It's the same reason why Target has been purposely understocking hot new releases during release week. The store wants to motivate the customer just enough to walk in the door, but they would rather not sell you a disc at a loss.
Old 11-06-11, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
The PQ gets a small, but noticeable bump. The AQ also gets a bump, even though there are no lossless tracks on the disc. It has a pretty nice DTS track (which you have to select from the menu otherwise all you're getting is the sound from the old DVD)
Old 11-08-11, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Target knows these BDs are hot items at $5. I believe carrying them at a few, random locations is purposely done for viral marketing purposes on the Internet. Walmart started doing it last year and Target is starting to copy the practice.

The world of retail is absolutely ruthless and stores are having to work harder than ever to stay in business against the likes of Amazon. It's the same reason why Target has been purposely understocking hot new releases during release week. The store wants to motivate the customer just enough to walk in the door, but they would rather not sell you a disc at a loss.
Interesting. I'd never have thought it was a calculated move by Target to send $5 BDs only to a very small group of stores... titles that probably 99% of the public doesn't know exist at Target for $5 except for the handful of people who read DVD Talk. I figured it was more likely that Target got smaller quantities for a good enough price to still make a profit at $5 and decided to be like Big Lots and only send that limited quantity to a few of their favorite stores (none of which are in my area).

I assumed that Target's purposeful understocking of new releases (and we can say it's purposeful because they've been doing it for quite a while now) was that they were too cheap to commit to a lot of inventory and then have to send it back later. I hadn't heard before your comments that they were hoping/planning for customers to go in and come out empty-handed with the sale title in hopes they'll buy something else while they're angry at them for being OOS. I can say that strategy has never once worked for me. I go in looking for specific things, and short of happening to notice a magical sale price or clearance item, I almost never impulse buy. It's hard to believe the "let's purposefully try to be out of stock of advertised items and hope customers buy something else instead" strategy is effective with most people. But then I'm Abby-Normal and not a good example of your average customer's buying behavior so who knows.
Old 11-08-11, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

So they want to piss off customers by making them go to several stores to get a limited selection of BDs for $5? Pass. I went to my local store, not there, not going to another. Fuck that. At this point, past Halloween, I no longer give a shit anyway.
Old 11-08-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So they want to piss off customers by making them go to several stores to get a limited selection of BDs for $5? Pass. I went to my local store, not there, not going to another. Fuck that. At this point, past Halloween, I no longer give a shit anyway.
No kidding, gotta love the conspiracy theorists out there. These movies are not the cabbage patch/elmo/furby latest craze where they want to possibly get you in their doors and then hopefully buy other stuff there. The only way we even know about these titlles is through the internet forums, and obviouslly Target wants to mess with us and jump through hoops to get back at the forum people like us
Old 11-08-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I suspect that if you never found the $5 titles by now, you probably never will. The stores by me, which had the $5 titles, no longer do. With the exception of The Others and the Ninth Gate, all of the $5 titles are gone, and the spots on the shelf are also gone. To me, it seems like these titles were only available for a limited time. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the warehouse had limited stock, and once they're gone, they're gone.
Old 11-08-11, 12:58 PM

My store still has all of them, and seems to be getting in fresh stock as some were sold out last week, and they've gotten new stock in this week.
Old 11-08-11, 06:18 PM

Finally found an out-of-the-way store that has T2 Skynet Edition and the darn thing rings up $14.99. Thought it was no longer on sale but it still shows as $5 online. Now, I'm ticked as all the stores near me never carry it and it's not worth it traveling way out there if they would even match this online 'in-store' price.
Old 11-08-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by consoleman
Finally found an out-of-the-way store that has T2 Skynet Edition and the darn thing rings up $14.99. Thought it was no longer on sale but it still shows as $5 online. Now, I'm ticked as all the stores near me never carry it and it's not worth it traveling way out there if they would even match this online 'in-store' price.
What did the tag say? My local stores had the $5 tag for T2 but I didn't scan it to confirm. But if they tag says it's $5 they'll adjust it. I had to do that with one of the other $5 titles recently.
Old 11-08-11, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl
What did the tag say? My local stores had the $5 tag for T2 but I didn't scan it to confirm. But if they tag says it's $5 they'll adjust it. I had to do that with one of the other $5 titles recently.
They had no tags at all. Found the one copy hiding behind a stack of some other movie and I thought I hit the jackpot. Scanned it on the price scanner and it came up $14.99 so stuck it back on the shelf. Don't know if they have any online terminals like they do at Bestbuy so you can at least get them to pricematch it. Not sure how this can be handled in-store with no tags and no online terminals.
Old 11-09-11, 09:02 AM

Rocky: The Undisputed Collection (7 Discs) (Blu-ray) (Widescreen) -- 22.99 (at Target.com)

http://www.target.com/p/Rocky-The-Un...n/-/A-11643548

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.