Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Old 10-17-11, 10:07 AM
  #101  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,511
Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

No Swingers here either.
Old 10-17-11, 11:29 AM
  #102  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I haven't found any of these new titles yet. For those who found them, are they interspersed through the BD aisle, or on an endcap, or a special display?
They were mixed in with all the BDs. I probably should have picked up all the ones I might have wanted since the Target I saw these at is a little out of the way and not the one I frequent. I will see what my local Target has tomorrow. I'm in Houston/Pasadena area, so others in Houston might get lucky. However in shopping at Target, I have noticed that sometimes there is stock differences and some Targets never get some inventory.
Old 10-17-11, 09:10 PM
  #103  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Central TX
Posts: 472
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I haven't found any of these new titles yet. For those who found them, are they interspersed through the BD aisle, or on an endcap, or a special display?
At my two local Targets they were with the other Blu-ray discs but they were all grouped together in one section and all labeled $5 on the shelf.
Old 10-19-11, 10:01 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,658
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

finally found the new titles. Bought several. Can't go wrong with bds for 5 bucks
Old 10-19-11, 10:46 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

My local Target did not have the ones I listed. Looks like a trip across town. When am I going to learn to buy everything I might want and return what I don't want later????????
Old 10-20-11, 07:38 AM
  #106  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,134
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

No dice on the $5 Highlander at my local Target, it scanned on the price checker at the marked $9.99. They did not have any of the more desirable titles, such as Swingers or Rounders.
Old 10-20-11, 08:52 AM
  #107  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
My local Target did not have the ones I listed. Looks like a trip across town. When am I going to learn to buy everything I might want and return what I don't want later????????
"Buy first, ask questions later" has been my motto for years. If there's something I'm unsure about, I buy it first, research it, and return later. The 90 day policy at Target and Walmart make that easier. It's a little more difficult with 30 days at BB or Big Lots. The only time that motto becomes a semi-nightmare is on Black Friday.

Unfortunately for these other $5 BDs we've been discussing, no Target store in my nearby area has any of them. I checked a different store yesterday and nothing. Just the same old ones (The Others, 3:10 to Yuma, and Highlander) had $5 the tags. Too bad I (and nobody there) has any idea if or when they'll show up in my area.
Old 10-20-11, 03:34 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Around and about...
Posts: 1,400
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

I was able to find 3:10 To Yuma and American Psycho at the one near my work; none of the handful of others like Bad Santa, Crank, The Doors or Swingers.
Old 10-20-11, 05:18 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
ProfessorEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Middle, Nowhere
Posts: 2,016
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
My local Target did not have the ones I listed. Looks like a trip across town. When am I going to learn to buy everything I might want and return what I don't want later????????
My gf had to hammer this into my head like an irate Moe from The 3 Stooges before it finally sunk in, but it did. So my gf and Manzana are on the same page and you won't find more unimpeachable sources of advice than that.
Old 10-21-11, 04:27 AM
  #110  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,205
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

I'm going to see if I can snag the three Schwarzenegger flicks. Other than the Terminator, my collection is sorely lacking Ahnuld's presence.
Old 10-21-11, 09:58 AM
  #111  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
My gf had to hammer this into my head like an irate Moe from The 3 Stooges before it finally sunk in, but it did. So my gf and Manzana are on the same page and you won't find more unimpeachable sources of advice than that.
Going off topic a bit but that's what Manzanas do best... just like Tiggers bouncing.

Totally agree with you about the unimpeachable sources! :-) While buying first, asking questions later has a disadvantage that some of the employees get to know you after a while and it causes extra work both for me and the stores, I often explain to them (especially the Big Lots folks) that last time I saw a cheap movie and didn't buy it because I didn't know anything about it, it was gone forever when I came back looking for it after I had read the reviews and decided I wanted it, so I decided it's better to buy first and be safe than sorry. They always agree with me on this rationale, though I doubt most people actually do this. For the most part, I visit every store often enough that returning a few items doesn't require a special trip. I wish there were an alternative to this, but the only one I can think of is buying a smartphone with an expensive data plan and spending a lot of time at the store reading reviews of whatever I see on sale. It's much easier and faster to get out of the store fast with everything in hand and do the research at home. Sometimes people make comments in line about it, and it depends on my mood if I explain the concept of "buy first, ask questions later" or just make an evasive comment. What I have learned is that most people do not think like I do... OCD is a very strange thing.

I admit that on BF this strategy makes for a potentially nasty return if you buy 1 of everything you're not sure about. Thank goodness for 90 days to deal with it. Last BF I felt sorry for the poor employee who got my BF return (I think I waited until mid January when it wasn't crowded). I said I'd go shop and come back in 20 minutes while they worked on it. 20 minutes later they still weren't done. It took almost 30 minutes, though admittedly the employee was slower than most. It's either this or pass on some stuff and regret it later. For OCD types, the latter is worse. So I both look forward to and totally dread BF.
Old 10-21-11, 11:57 AM
  #112  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by Manzana
"Buy first, ask questions later" has been my motto for years. If there's something I'm unsure about, I buy it first, research it, and return later. The 90 day policy at Target and Walmart make that easier. It's a little more difficult with 30 days at BB or Big Lots. The only time that motto becomes a semi-nightmare is on Black Friday.

Unfortunately for these other $5 BDs we've been discussing, no Target store in my nearby area has any of them. I checked a different store yesterday and nothing. Just the same old ones (The Others, 3:10 to Yuma, and Highlander) had $5 the tags. Too bad I (and nobody there) has any idea if or when they'll show up in my area.
I actually normally do that and have recommended it on several occasions. I learned the lesson way back when I missed out on a then-OOP version of Little Mermaid VHS. But this time I didn't, partly because it was getting expensive (w/ BB promo) and partly because I did not think it was that exclusive a deal. Some employees at my local Big Lots actually do not like me because of all the returns I've made in the past. I used to buy 1 of EVERYTHING (literally) and then return what I didn't want. Now I'm a little more cautious, but still do the occasional return.

Also, though Best Buy has been a little better, their tracking return thing has actually prevented me from buying stuff I'm unsure about. Their deals have been getting pretty good there, and I don't want to burn any bridges. I will PM Target or WM if a marginal deal is advertised there on the chance I may change my mind (and use their 90--day return policy). I keep EVERY receipt until it expires, no matter what. You never know.
Old 10-22-11, 06:48 PM
  #113  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 23,029
Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by Manzana
"Buy first, ask questions later" has been my motto for years. If there's something I'm unsure about, I buy it first, research it, and return later. The 90 day policy at Target and Walmart make that easier. It's a little more difficult with 30 days at BB or Big Lots. The only time that motto becomes a semi-nightmare is on Black Friday.
.
Someone started a topic a few years ago saying he/she essentially buys a shopping cart full of DVDs and more, than returns them before receipt expires.
Old 10-22-11, 07:20 PM
  #114  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,205
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

All you guys who do this "buy first ask questions later" thing, do you not have smartphones? You say you go home and research the items that you're essentially hoarding, but if you had a smartphone you could do it right there. Use apps to check deals, ebay, prices at others stores, OOP status, whatever. I do this all the time. It's a hell of a lot easier than buying a ton of shit, taking it home, cataloging receipts, counting down the days and then returning it all. Sounds like a time-consuming waste to me.

Also, Manzana, maybe this obsessive returning is why you have so many problems getting some of the deals at B&M stores that others post about getting so easily... because no one really wants to deal with you. You say that store employees start to recognize you, and I doubt that any of them actually look forward to seeing you. So why would they want to help you get the best deal knowing you're probably just going to bring back whatever you buy anyway? When I worked retail years ago, managers and clerks never lifted a finger to do more than the bare minimum to help people who do what you do. Some were even banned from the store.

It's like being a known cheap tipper in a restaurant. You're never going to get good service.
Old 10-23-11, 07:50 AM
  #115  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

How low can we go? The others is $4.75 in this week's ad! That must be a new low price record for a "new" catalogue release title on BD, at least outside of BF. Makes me wonder if we'll see decent $3 BDs on BF? I also wonder if any of the other $5 titles will be $4.75 this week? I don't think it says so in the ad, but you never know.
Old 10-23-11, 08:36 AM
  #116  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,513
Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

I would guess that all of the $5 will be on sale for $4.75 this week, I doubt it would just be The Others
Old 10-23-11, 12:40 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 22,196
Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Damn them for lowering The Others from $5 to $4.75!
Old 10-23-11, 04:24 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Living Dead, I won't quote your post. I already addressed most of your comments in my post. I don't have a smartphone, don't want to pay for an expensive data plan ($30 is expensive to me), and even if I did have a smartphone/data plan I doubt I'd want to spend hours in a store researching stuff on a tiny phone vs. doing it at home, especially when time is of the essence on BF. It takes less time at home on a normal computer than a tiny phone. All it would save is the buying/returning step, and that is only bad on Black Friday. The rest of the year it's just a few things here and there... not enough that any stores notice or care.

And your speculation that I've had trouble in the past with B&M deals due to returns is totally wrong. The turnover at most stores is high and I recognize very few employees, and very few recognize me... except at Big Lots because it's been the same few people there for years. They already all know why I do what I do, and we're talking only a single handful of movies at a time. The only place where I've had trouble consistently is at BB with COUPONS, so I just don't go there if I plan to use a coupon. When no coupons are involved, I think my experience getting deals is about the same as others. I just complained more loudly about it in the past than most people. I'm trying to complain less lately. You're exaggerating a lot when you say I bring back everything I buy. Not even close. I probably kept about half of what I bought on BF. I've never heard of anyone being banned from a store because they bought a lot of stuff on BF and returned half of it unopened with receipt, though I'm sure they could do whatever they wanted since most places support "manager's discretion". Perhaps the fact this has never happened means it's a bigger deal to you than to the stores. Like I said, it's pretty small except for on BF and even then it's not that much... maybe 50 items out of 100+. What's funny is when I posted originally, I wondered if someone from the old MAC(tm) club would pop up and attack, and sure enough...

Originally Posted by sotra
How low can we go? The others is $4.75 in this week's ad! That must be a new low price record for a "new" catalogue release title on BD, at least outside of BF. Makes me wonder if we'll see decent $3 BDs on BF? I also wonder if any of the other $5 titles will be $4.75 this week? I don't think it says so in the ad, but you never know.
Oh no! 25 cents less! Guess I'm going to have to return and rebuy to save 25 cents + tax. :-) Just kidding, but I bet some people like Living Dead think I'd actually do that over 25 cents. It would have to drop more than $1 before I'd do that. :-) It would be nice to see some $3 BF BDs (though they'll probably all be ones I already own) rather than just the $5 ones which are typically the same old Lionsgate discount titles (Chaos, War, Rambos, Total Recall, Stargate...).

Last edited by Manzana; 10-23-11 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-23-11, 05:43 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by joltman
I would guess that all of the $5 will be on sale for $4.75 this week, I doubt it would just be The Others
Nope, no other BDs under $5, only DVDs.

Last edited by sotra; 10-23-11 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-23-11, 06:26 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,472
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Found the section of $5 Blus at the local Target. I picked up a few I wouldn't have at $10 but felt $5 is about right:

Running Man
T2
Highlander
Cujo
Cabin Fever
The Doors
Total Recall
Bad Santa
The Ninth Gate
Swingers
Old 10-23-11, 06:30 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by Manzana


Oh no! 25 cents less! Guess I'm going to have to return and rebuy to save 25 cents + tax. :-) Just kidding, but I bet some people like Living Dead think I'd actually do that over 25 cents. It would have to drop more than $1 before I'd do that. :-) It would be nice to see some $3 BF BDs (though they'll probably all be ones I already own) rather than just the $5 ones which are typically the same old Lionsgate discount titles (Chaos, War, Rambos, Total Recall, Stargate...).
Not worth it for 25 cents definitely, but if there were 5 or more on BF that were $3 that you had bought for $5 or more and they were still within the return window for whichever stores you got them from then IMHO it would be worth it.
Old 10-23-11, 08:06 PM
  #122  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,511
Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Was just at Target. Still nothing at mine.
Old 10-24-11, 01:56 AM
  #123  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,205
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Originally Posted by Manzana
Living Dead, I won't quote your post. I already addressed most of your comments in my post. I don't have a smartphone, don't want to pay for an expensive data plan ($30 is expensive to me), and even if I did have a smartphone/data plan I doubt I'd want to spend hours in a store researching stuff on a tiny phone vs. doing it at home, especially when time is of the essence on BF. It takes less time at home on a normal computer than a tiny phone. All it would save is the buying/returning step, and that is only bad on Black Friday. The rest of the year it's just a few things here and there... not enough that any stores notice or care.
If the stores don't notice or care, then why did you say earlier that it's a "disadvantage that some of the employees get to know you after a while and it causes extra work both for me and the stores?" Then you say that you have to explain to many of them what you're doing. I'd say that means they probably notice.

And regarding the smartphone, it doesn't take "hours." Sometimes it's as simple as taking a picture of a barcode and then the app does all the work for you. I can compare prices all over town for a dozen movies in just a few minutes. I can see snagging extra items on BF when the rush is on, but you say you do this all the time. I used to do something similar to what you do, minus the buying. I'd go to the store, write stuff down, go home, review it, then return to buy. This took much longer than reviewing the films in the store on a phone or tablet and I didn't even have to wait in line to buy and return. But regardless, you say your issue with the smartphone is price, and that's a valid reason that I can completely understand. But to say it takes a lot less time on a normal computer... that's not true at all once you get the hang of it.

Originally Posted by Manzana
I've never heard of anyone being banned from a store because they bought a lot of stuff on BF and returned half of it unopened with receipt, though I'm sure they could do whatever they wanted since most places support "manager's discretion". Perhaps the fact this has never happened means it's a bigger deal to you than to the stores.
The people who were banned from the store where I worked weren't banned because they brought stuff back specifically on BF, but because they did it all the time. They were a smaller store, not a national conglomerate, and if they allowed compulsive buyers to constantly bring things back, they'd have gone out of business. So I'd say yes, to some stores it is a big deal.

Anyway, you seem to have taken what I wrote originally as a personal offense, but that was not my intention. It was an observation based on things you said about always having to explain yourself to store employees and your many rants against B&M stores, especially Best Buy. I never said it was a definite fact, just a possibility.

That's all from me, I don't want to derail the thread arguing over semantics and guesswork.
Old 10-24-11, 09:41 AM
  #124  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

No problem, Living Dead. Thanks for clarifying. I had misread your comments as a semi-attack on me. I'll try to explain this key part: "disadvantage that some of the employees get to know you after a while and it causes extra work both for me and the stores?". Well, obviously the latter is true, but the employees getting to know me refers mainly to Big Lots (which seems to have a very low employee turnover rate) and there are a couple Target and Walmart employees who I think recognize me, but they don't say anything special. Maybe I should say I start to recognize some of the employees, so I'm just assuming some of them must start to recognize me too, but maybe they don't among all the people they have to deal with daily. Since my "buy first, ask questions later" strategy only results in 2-3 small returns of a few items per month at each store, and I usually get different employees, most of the time I'm sure they don't recognize me, and even if they did it shouldn't matter because I'm not doing it excessively... just above average. I only know for a fact that the Big Lots employees know me because they've made comments so I've explained my rationale to them which they agreed with. I've returned more to Big Lots than anywhere else over the years. I went nuts when they had the $3 and $6 Warner TV sets sale years ago... I went to 3 stores back to back, couldn't remember what I bought, and ended up with maybe 2 or 3 copies of every title... some of which I kept or traded and the rest I returned, but how often do they have sales like that? Almost never.

I snag any items that appear interesting and at a good price, but there usually aren't many that fit that criteria. Up until last week I hadn't bought a single electronics item at Walmart for months due to them not having any deals I considered good. On BF of course there are a lot more items in the "good price" category so that's when I go into "shovel mode", but I don't buy just anything I don't have... it has to look interesting. I blow past 99% of the stuff at Big Lots I've never seen before because it doesn't look interesting from the cover. Another factor is if I've never heard the movie's title, I'm less likely to buy it. When Target had the Scary Movie BDs on sale, I grabbed #2 and #3 for $5, read the reviews at home, and then returned #2. My last time to Big Lots I bought 4 movies and will be returning 2 of them next time I go. With good deals rare, I don't think I return enough to put me into the chronic trouble-makers category. The only time my returns are huge is on BF sales and on those rare Big Lots mega deals which happen once every few years.

OK. I didn't know that smartphones could scan barcodes and get you comparison pricing quickly. However, I spend most of my time at home reading reviews on movies I've never heard of before to decide if they are worth a "blind buy" rather than simply checking prices which is quick to do (such as dvdpricesearch.com).

Back to our regularly scheduled program of Target Blu-Ray deals... where I don't think much is happening on that front.
Old 10-30-11, 01:02 AM
  #125  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 20,245
Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: TARGET Blu-ray bargains

Finally got a chance to check out my local Target in Novato, CA.

Only had (or had tags for): T2, The Others, American Psycho, Ninth Gate and Stargate.

No Cabin Fever

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.