Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

$10 off Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: $10 off Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind Blu-Ray

Both of my Targets said they got 4 copies each, so that seems to be the official number, and I think most of them were gone fairly early. I guess we should be happy they had any at all.

My favorite part is what happened when I went to Walmart first and asked the lady who has worked in electronics for years and doesn't speak English that well. I said "do you have Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind on Blu-Ray" and she said "it's called Nausea in the Windy Valley?" They looked through their boxes of new release stuff they hadn't put out yet (as usual) and it wasn't there. Others have confirmed Walmart isn't carrying it in store.

This neglect at B&M stores has me worried for future Ghibli titles too. My only hope is that some of the more popular ones (like My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service) won't be as neglected as Nausicaa. I liked all of them except The Cat Returns and Porco Rosso. Totoro is by far my favorite, and every time any kids visit it's the first thing I suggest, and after watching it the kids usually beg their parents to buy it. I should get a commission for introducing people to Totoro. I thought Castle in the Sky had rougher animation, but it was OK. I liked Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Princess Mononoke more than I expected.

I don't suppose anyone has a Ghibli Blu-Ray release schedule handy?
Old 03-08-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My question is how does Disney expect to sell copies of this movie when the supply is so damn low? Unbelievable...
Old 03-08-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
I don't suppose anyone has a Ghibli Blu-Ray release schedule handy?
There isn't one.

Castle in the Sky and My Neighbors the Yamadas came out on Blu-ray in Japan a couple months ago. I'd guess those are up next (well, if they bother with Yamadas on these shores). We haven't gotten any Ghibli on Blu-ray ahead of Japan, at least.

There are screenshots of Laputa at http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...le-sky-jp.html, and it's more than a little gorgeous.
Old 03-08-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
My question is how does Disney expect to sell copies of this movie when the supply is so damn low? Unbelievable...
Looks like Ghibli made a great choice in partnering with Disney for their NA distribution.
Old 03-08-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Looks like Ghibli made a great choice in partnering with Disney for their NA distribution.
To be fair, I don't think this is entirely Disney's fault. Retailers probably looked at how well anime titles sold in their stores before deciding how many of these to order, if they were going to order any at all. You have to keep in mind that this isn't a hugely popular Disney film that everyone in America has seen at one time or another; it's one of the lesser-known films of a Japanese director that many people have never even heard of.

Hopefully Disney has realistic expectations with Ghibli on Blu-ray, because these aren't going to be bestsellers like Disney Classics. I just hope poor sales don't mean we don't see future Ghibli titles on Blu-ray in America, but I'm optimistic that we'll get more in the future, slowly, but surely.

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
There isn't one.

Castle in the Sky and My Neighbors the Yamadas came out on Blu-ray in Japan a couple months ago. I'd guess those are up next (well, if they bother with Yamadas on these shores). We haven't gotten any Ghibli on Blu-ray ahead of Japan, at least.

There are screenshots of Laputa at http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...le-sky-jp.html, and it's more than a little gorgeous.

Castle In The Sky is one of my favorite Miyazaki films, so I'm glad to hear that'll probably be the next up. I'm actually surprised Spirited Away hasn't been released yet, given it's probably the most well-known of his works.
Old 03-09-11, 01:47 AM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Barrnes and Noble in store has a deal that if you buy nausicaa valley of the wind Blu or that earthsea dvd that you get another 10 dollars off another studio ghibli item. Does Barnes even take the Disney coupons. How about another BN store coupon on top of it? I asked in the Bn thread as well.
Old 03-09-11, 01:49 AM
Cool New Member

Went to Target and they had the price and label for Nausicaa in the new release section, but it was all gone. Interestingly, they had 3 copies of Tales From Earthsea on DVD, which also came out today. It sucks that there's no Blu-ray version of it. Anyways, went over to Best Buy and got the last copy, which was put in the Blu-ray section in alphabetical order. It wasn't in the New Releases or Family/Disney section. Didn't even bother to price match, just gave the coupon and was out of there.
Old 03-09-11, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I wouldnt go blaming disney, they actually have encouraged sales with offering coupons on these titles which honestly have a very limited audience no matter how great the movies are.
The blame lies more with retailers like Target and Bestbuy and Walmart not wanting to carry very many (if any) copies
Old 03-09-11, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My BB didn't have any copies in stock and I didn't even see a space for it anywhere in the store. However, the Target next door had about six copies.
Old 03-09-11, 08:02 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

It would have been much better if they tied a couple blu-ray releases along with blu-ray release of Ponyo, rather than with a secondary DVD only Ghibli title.
Old 03-09-11, 08:05 AM

I totally forgot about My Neighbors the Yamadas which I've never seen. I just know it's roughly drawn like a comic book, so I probably won't like it much, but I'll watch it someday. The best list of Ghibli films I could find is at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli

I now see a few others listed I've never seen. I don't mean to turn this into a general Ghibli discussion (well maybe I do given there's not much more to say about Nausicaa... a few people found a few copies at BB and Target), but are all 17 titles that have been released worth seeing and available for rent?

Besides the Yamadas (which I know is on DVD), I haven't seen Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves, Tales from Earthsea, Ponyo (which I know is on BD), and The Borrower Arietty. Are those all at least as good as The Cat Returns and Porco Rosso which fall into my category of "weird but interesting, worth watching once but probably not again, don't buy unless it's dirt cheap"? The rest of them (even the weird Pom Poko) I'd probably buy on BD for $10-$15 after coupon. Nausicaa @ $17.99 is a stretch, but I liked it a bit above average.

I take it the way to find out the release schedule (without searching each title on Amazon) is to go to a site (like UltimateDisney) and check the upcoming Disney release schedule?
Old 03-09-11, 08:56 AM

I now see a few others listed I've never seen. I don't mean to turn this into a general Ghibli discussion (well maybe I do given there's not much more to say about Nausicaa... a few people found a few copies at BB and Target), but are all 17 titles that have been released worth seeing and available for rent?

Besides the Yamadas (which I know is on DVD), I haven't seen Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves, Tales from Earthsea, Ponyo (which I know is on BD), and The Borrower Arietty. Are those all at least as good as The Cat Returns and Porco Rosso which fall into my category of "weird but interesting, worth watching once but probably not again, don't buy unless it's dirt cheap"? The rest of them (even the weird Pom Poko) I'd probably buy on BD for $10-$15 after coupon. Nausicaa @ $17.99 is a stretch, but I liked it a bit above average.
I would say that all Ghibli titles are worth renting at least once. Ocean Waves is a made-for-TV film, and was never available in the US. Only Yesterday was (to my knowledge) shown once on TCM and never released commercially in the US. However, it is brilliant and moving, and highly recommended. The Borrower Arietty looks fantastic but will not be released in the US until later this year (or even possibly next year.)

Ponyo is certainly worth renting and probably worth buying - it's a children's film, and one not nearly as transcendent as Totoro, but it's about on the same level as Kiki's Delivery Service, IMO. But our tastes might not line up exactly - I thought The Cat Returns was disposable, but I love Porco Rosso. I've found Ponyo on BD at Blockbuster for 6.99 (before the 15% discount for store closing.)

Haven't seen Tales from Earthsea, but it's on my Netflix queue!
Old 03-09-11, 11:02 AM
Suspended

I totally forgot about My Neighbors the Yamadas which I've never seen. I just know it's roughly drawn like a comic book, so I probably won't like it much, but I'll watch it someday. The best list of Ghibli films I could find is at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli
I've actually found that I use http://www.nausicaa.net for my Studio Ghibli information. Although it's not updated quite as frequently as Wikipedia, it's pretty thorough and IMHO a bit more informative.
Old 03-09-11, 12:15 PM
Cool New Member

My BB had a bunch of copies thankfully.
Old 03-09-11, 02:05 PM

Seems like we have two threads running at the same time. Firstly, those that have already downloaded the coupon and are searching for the best price at a store to use it and those like me who are trying to download the coupon to no avail. And Disney is not helping things by saying it isn't live yet when clearly it has been. If it is no longer available why don't they just say that? I know I'm not the only one this is happening to. Doesn't Disney want to sell product?
Old 03-09-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by madmax
those like me who are trying to download the coupon to no avail. And Disney is not helping things by saying it isn't live yet when clearly it has been. If it is no longer available why don't they just say that? I know I'm not the only one this is happening to. Doesn't Disney want to sell product?
I have a link to the offer and when I click it I see this in red: "sorry, this offer has expired".
Old 03-10-11, 09:20 AM

If enough people complain, Disney typically reinstates expired coupons, but in the case of Nausicaa I seriously doubt enough people here (besides the few of us reading this thread) or across the country care about Nausicaa enough to complain to get them to reinstate it. You can try but I wouldn't count on it. The coupon was reinstated on Bambi because it was a mainstream popular title and they probably got enough complaints.

I have a simple rule: whenever I see a Disney coupon, I print my 2 copies as soon as I can. I never wait until it gets close to release date.

Originally Posted by fidodido
I've actually found that I use http://www.nausicaa.net for my Studio Ghibli information. Although it's not updated quite as frequently as Wikipedia, it's pretty thorough and IMHO a bit more informative.
Thanks for the good link. It joins the honored company of thousands of other links I have saved in my Boomarks that I wish I had time to read from top to bottom.
Old 03-10-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Akuma147
Went to Target and they had the price and label for Nausicaa in the new release section, but it was all gone. Interestingly, they had 3 copies of Tales From Earthsea on DVD, which also came out today. It sucks that there's no Blu-ray version of it. Anyways, went over to Best Buy and got the last copy, which was put in the Blu-ray section in alphabetical order. It wasn't in the New Releases or Family/Disney section. Didn't even bother to price match, just gave the coupon and was out of there.
Same thing at my target. Had the nausicaa tag on the shelf but no copies left. Had a couple of Earthsea.
Old 03-10-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone in the NW made it over to Fred Meyer to see whether they are carrying Nausicaa? I won't be able to check until tonight. If they are, I'm hoping they'll have a $3 or $4 coupon store coupon show up before the Disney coupon expires.

It looks like Borders B&M isn't carrying this (shows OOS at the six closest stores).
Old 03-10-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhauge
Has anyone in the NW made it over to Fred Meyer to see whether they are carrying Nausicaa? I won't be able to check until tonight. If they are, I'm hoping they'll have a $3 or $4 coupon store coupon show up before the Disney coupon expires.

It looks like Borders B&M isn't carrying this (shows OOS at the six closest stores).
I actually checked two in the Seattle area. Manager said "we don't usually order those types of movies-referring to Japanese animation." It's on their website and I saw Ponyo on the shelf but no luck with this one in store.
Old 03-10-11, 08:42 PM

Wow it actually makes me angry how poorly stocked this is. Meijer's isn't getting any....
Old 03-10-11, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I actually checked two in the Seattle area. Manager said "we don't usually order those types of movies-referring to Japanese animation." It's on their website and I saw Ponyo on the shelf but no luck with this one in store.
Thanks for checking. I checked at my local FM tonight and didn't find it. It's funny you mentioned Ponyo since I got it at FM when it first came out (using the Disney coupon).

It wasn't a total loss since I found Dances With Wolves BD for $12.49 (on a display marked "50% off FOX movies"). I still had my $5 coupon, so I got it for $7.49
Old 03-13-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the good link. It joins the honored company of thousands of other links I have saved in my Boomarks that I wish I had time to read from top to bottom.

I can relate to that...
Old 03-13-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ran by Target yesterday and they had some back in stock. Was able to search online for stores with stock.
Old 03-16-11, 11:26 AM

BTW Disney payback can be a bitch. Thanks for making it impossible for me and others to download the Nausicaa coupon (not live yet) and not responding to my email and then making it difficult to find copies for those who did get coupons. So Mars Needs Moms bombed? You might want to consider a $40 off coupon for a 3d/2d/dvd combo next month. Oh...I won't need to download that!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.