Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Assassin's Creed 2 • Dovrai essere un assassino di nuovo

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Assassin's Creed 2 • You'll want to be an Assassin again

Also from the AU IGN review:
"In terms of engine quality, however, the difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions is literally night and day. Starting with the shocking difference in contrast and colour depth, the Xbox 360 version's high-dynamic range lighting is more intense and casts deeper shadows and renders a darker night. In our direct comparisons between the two games, the PS3 version looks noticeably flatter and more washed out, detracting from the ambience.

The PS3 version also suffers from a lower texture resolution, which affects everything from facial details (you can see freckles and pores on the 360, but faces, lips and hair looks almost universally blurry on PS3), to wall and ground textures, leaves and particle and debris effects.

I know it's almost passé to rag on the differences, but it really does surprise us how large the gap between the two versions is. It does begin to affect the gameplay too when the PS3's juttering and screen tearing starts to rattle the frame during action sequences involving multiple characters. Hopefully Ubisoft can address some of these concerns with a patch as soon as possible, but at this stage, the PS3's version once again lacks polish."
Old 11-17-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That software they use to detect frame tears is pretty sweet.
Old 11-17-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought you were talking about content.

Most of the times the Xbox version is the better looking one, since, most of the time, is the lead platform. But at the same time for the general user, uneducated eye, they look pretty similar. I'd be really surprised if the difference is that big.
Old 11-17-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 916 Likes on 650 Posts

"In terms of engine quality, however, the difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions is literally night and day. Starting with the shocking difference in contrast and colour depth, the Xbox 360 version's high-dynamic range lighting is more intense and casts deeper shadows and renders a darker night. In our direct comparisons between the two games, the PS3 version looks noticeably flatter and more washed out, detracting from the ambience.

The PS3 version also suffers from a lower texture resolution, which affects everything from facial details (you can see freckles and pores on the 360, but faces, lips and hair looks almost universally blurry on PS3), to wall and ground textures, leaves and particle and debris effects.

I know it's almost passé to rag on the differences, but it really does surprise us how large the gap between the two versions is. It does begin to affect the gameplay too when the PS3's juttering and screen tearing starts to rattle the frame during action sequences involving multiple characters. Hopefully Ubisoft can address some of these concerns with a patch as soon as possible, but at this stage, the PS3's version once again lacks polish."
I thought the original was lead sku on PS3, development wise. Everyone always says that produces two great games for each system instead of one great one and one shitty port*. Was the PS3 not the lead sku for ACII?

* I am in no way inferring that ACII is shitty on PS3.
Old 11-17-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Was the PS3 not the lead sku for ACII?
I couldn't find anything, just that it was first showed at E3 in the Sony conference. And of course there's a PSP game.

I have the Xbox version, so not that concerned.
Old 11-17-09, 04:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
How do they differ from the first game (which I thought had excellent controls)?

Also, anybody get their $10 credit from Amazon yet?
I got mine earlier today. The code, that is, not the game.
Old 11-17-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played it for about 30 minutes or so. The beginning 15 minutes is just story continuation. I think the movements are tight as Hell. The first combat was smooth sailing. By the time I hit the second guy it all came back to me (timing the hits & counters). The climbing is the same, the scenery is freakin' beautiful, and I left my stomach atop of the tallest structure visable at the moment when I did a hay-dive...God I love this game already!!!!!!!

Popping in Lego Indy 2 for a bit then L4D2 for the kids, then it's all AC2 for the rest of the night!!!

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 11-17-09 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget to sign up at uplay.com for some cool shit. They basically made other achievements that unlock items in game...knife belt, altairs clothes, etc.
Old 11-17-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
... and I left my stomach atop of the tallest structure visable at the moment when I did a hay-dive...
Got hard reading this. I loved that part in the first game.

I'm actually waiting until later tonight to start playing. I need at least a couple of hours of play time.
Old 11-17-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon let me know that this shipped today. I got it for the PS3, but... eh... I'm not too worried about any performance problems. Without doing a side-by-side comparison I doubt I'd notice.
Old 11-17-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,250 Likes on 4,271 Posts

Whew, I got the 360 version. Briefly considered the PS3 version for potential interconnectivity with the PSP game, but decided nerd points were more important. Glad about that decision now, I guess.

Anyone have any info on what the interconnectivity is between the two games?

BTW, I saw a PSP AC Bloodlines PSP in TRU, so that version must be getting pushed hard. Normally Ubisoft PSP ports are uber-shitty, but perhaps this is an exception.
Old 11-17-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 916 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Got hard reading this. I loved that part in the first game.
That's one of the few things I really dug in the first game. I never had any "height" issues in Crackdown like some, but some of the ones in Creed got me. Probably something to do with the realistic graphics over the cell shading.
Old 11-17-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i always get a stomach drop when jumping off tall things in games...one day i fear I'll puke.
Old 11-17-09, 06:50 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Can't wait to dig into it when I escape the internet tubes. Loved the story on the first one, even when the game got insanely repetitive.
Old 11-17-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Major spoiler about 2 hours in, do not read unless you have at least played to the second new area

Spoiler:
I lost it when you meet your uncle for the first time and he's like "What? You don't remember me? It'sa me Mario"
Old 11-17-09, 07:38 PM

Bought and played the PS3 version (for the AC:Bloodline connectivity plus I think my 360's about to RRoD =/) for quite a bit and it's run a hell of a lot better than AC1 did. Everything is solid graphics-wise except for facial features, but then again, I just got done playing my second playthrough of Uncharted 2 so I may be a bit biased. It runs smooth albeit a little screen tearing here and there but it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way unless you are REALLY anal about it. I'm glad UbiSoft did a better port-job this time around.

Digging all aspects of the game so far. Now that I got a taste of it, on to Bloodlines and get the extra items for this game.

Last edited by spamurai; 11-17-09 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 08:21 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

UPS tried to deliver my copy today, but my wife was taking a nap when the delivery guy hit the buzzer so she didn't answer the door. It's especially frustrating because I actually had a good 3-4 hours of gaming time this afternoon and I was looking forward to checking this out.
Old 11-17-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
UPS tried to deliver my copy today, but my wife was taking a nap when the delivery guy hit the buzzer so she didn't answer the door. It's especially frustrating because I actually had a good 3-4 hours of gaming time this afternoon and I was looking forward to checking this out.
Dump the bitch
Old 11-17-09, 09:29 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Dump the bitch
I'm going to be at work tomorrow when UPS attempts re-delivery. If I kick her out, who's going to sign for the game?
Old 11-18-09, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Major spoiler about 2 hours in, do not read unless you have at least played to the second new area

Spoiler:
I lost it when you meet your uncle for the first time and he's like "What? You don't remember me? It'sa me Mario"
That absolutely killed me.

I'm loving this so far, took me a bit to get the feel back since it's been forever since I last played AC1. I am glad they made stealing/pickpocketing easier but now its almost too easy... Not that I mind ripping people off.
Old 11-18-09, 06:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This game fucking rocks. I can't put it down. I really liked the first one. Never understood why it got so much flack.
Old 11-18-09, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are the missions as repetitive as the 1st?
Old 11-18-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
This game fucking rocks. I can't put it down. I really liked the first one. Never understood why it got so much flack.
Yeah, I'm really impressed with this sequel. I was one of the people who didn't really care for the original too much. I thought it was a great shell for a game, in terms of the graphics, environment design, and controls, but it felt rushed with boring gameplay and excessivly long story sequences.

I was hooked on AC2 almost immediately though. It takes a while to get going - it was about 5 hours before you're free to do what you want and everything is available to you. All that time is spent basically introducing the player to all the different things you can do in the game world. There's so much to do and find in this game, if you're the kind of player that likes to explore these sandbox worlds, you'll be in heaven.

The mission structure is much better, basically following the GTA model. I'm also glad the lengthy story sequences have been toned down. You'll no longer spend hours listening to conversations in a sterile lab. Almost everything so far has occured in the game world itself, with nothing but the introduction taking place outside the animus.

The new game world is amazing. There's much more variety in the architecture, and all the cities bear a striking resemblence to their real counterparts. The graphics are very impressive, but I'd say the screenshots we've all been drooling over make it look better than it is. Mostly because there is a lot of buidling and texture pop-in (360).

I was only disappointed in countryside areas in between cities. In the original, these areas felt almost as bustling and alive as the cities themselves, but they feel kind of plain this time around.
Old 11-18-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
Are the missions as repetitive as the 1st?
No, they're much better. All the main story missions are heavily scripted and there's been plenty of variety so far. The boring system where you'd have to sit close to a conversation or pick pocket some guy is completely done away with.
Old 11-18-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool thats what I hated about the first one and never got around to finishing it. I'll probably buy this later on down the road then, too many games to play right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.