Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Ejiofor would be exciting.

Love his work.
Old 04-14-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Originally Posted by B5Erik
And I'm all for recasting Tony Stark when RDJ decides to hang it up. No reboots. Do it like they used to do James Bond.
I think this will happen inevitably but I think it's going to be harder with Stark/Iron Man to replace Robert Downey Jr. with an actor who fits the part as well as he does. He's the one guy that Marvel really knocked out of the park in terms of casting and frankly I can see him being tough to recast. I think with Stark/Iron Man it may be best if they leave him out of films for a while and re-introduce a new actor as the character at some point.
Old 04-14-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

If he could pack on a little muscle I think Aaron Paul would be as good a replacement for RDJ as we're likely to get.
Old 04-15-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think this will happen inevitably but I think it's going to be harder with Stark/Iron Man to replace Robert Downey Jr. with an actor who fits the part as well as he does. He's the one guy that Marvel really knocked out of the park in terms of casting and frankly I can see him being tough to recast. I think with Stark/Iron Man it may be best if they leave him out of films for a while and re-introduce a new actor as the character at some point.
I would agree that recasting Iron Man/Tony Stark will be really tough, and maybe a gap would be a good idea. Go one Avengers movie without him at that point, and then reintroduce him in the next and go with a new Iron Man standalone movie after that once the new actor has been seen in the role in an Avengers movie.

But you know what? They really hit it out of the park with both Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth, too. Both of those guys are perfect in their respective roles. So much so that I think Marvel should do whatever they can to keep them around as long as possible.

I really wish that Marvel would offer Evans a one for one deal (one lower budget movie for him to direct for each additional time he plays Captain America). They could do it under a new banner, like Marvel Independent, or something like that, with a totally different logo to indicate that it's not a comic book/superhero movie. It woudn't be hard to do that. They could let Evans bring, say, 3 scripts to them that he wants to film each time, and they could pick one of them to produce. That would guarantee him work as a director doing films of his choice and it would also guarantee that Steve Rogers lives a little longer and makes the fans happy.

I would think he might go for that. He could be a co-producer as well as director and that would give him more of that artistic freedom that I'd bet he wants. At that point he really would be a director primarily, but he would act in one more Captain America movie (CAP 4) and one more Avengers movie (AV4), extending his acting career by two movies.

They could amortize any losses incurred on his directorial movies against the profits of Captain America 4 and Avengers 4. As an accounting/bookkeeping thing it could just be seen as an additional part of the costs of making those movies.

I would hope that Marvel is that creative. We'll see.
Old 04-15-14, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Marvel is creative, they will retire Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. The universe doesn't revolve around those three characters. They have a nearly endless number of characters they can use.

I, for one, would really love to see the cosmic side of Marvel expanded in the movies. A Nova movie would be awesome. Heck, I even want a Darkhawk movie.

Old 04-15-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Retiring them for the time being could be interesting after their collective third movies and the third Avengers movie (plus we'd get a new wave of people like Strange and Ant Man), but I also feel that if it's too much for one person, then doing team ups would be great. Banner and Stark in a movie together doing some research and then powering up. The chemistry between Ruffalo and Downey was great, so if we dont' get the team up, I hope we at least get more good scenes in the next two Avengers.
Old 04-15-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
If Marvel is creative, they will retire Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. The universe doesn't revolve around those three characters. They have a nearly endless number of characters they can use.
True, however - those characters (IM, Cap, Thor, Hulk) are among their best and make for GREAT comic book superhero movies.

They can't just abandon those characters cinematically. They're going to continue to be their bread and butter for years (maybe decades) to come.

What they should do is try to incorporate other characters into their cinematic universe in their own movies (as they are) so they can do their recasting after a 4 year gap rather than the usual 2 or 3 years in between those characters' movies.

They're going to have some box office failures along the way, and as these movies are ridiculously expensive they HAVE to have some movies that are guaranteed to turn a profit (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Avengers).

And that's why they need to find a way to get Chris Evans on board for Captain America 4 and Avengers 4. He's much closer to guaranteed box office than Sebastian Stan would be. Giving Evans the opportunity to direct movies under his Marvel contract would certainly go a long way towards getting him to sign for those two movies.
Old 04-15-14, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The funny thing about that picture is most of the characters front and center are the ones in Fox and Sony's boat
Old 04-15-14, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The funny thing about that picture is most of the characters front and center are the ones in Fox and Sony's boat
Yeah, and Spider-Man actually appears twice on it for some reason. Look behind Hulk and you will see Cyclops. A couple rows behind Cyclops you can see another Spider-Man.
Old 04-15-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Retire iron man and captain America after doing Civil War.
Old 04-15-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Yeah, and Spider-Man actually appears twice on it for some reason. Look behind Hulk and you will see Cyclops. A couple rows behind Cyclops you can see another Spider-Man.
Oh Marvel, you and your crazy clones.
Old 04-15-14, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Oh Marvel, you and your crazy clones.
If it was an intentional pun on the Clone Saga, it seems to me that the other Spider-Man would have looked like Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly.
Old 04-15-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Not sure how I'd feel if they went with an adaptation of Civil War. That idea sounded a lot more interesting than it turned out being for the most part if you ask me.
Old 04-15-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I actually really liked Civil War, although a lot of that was the aftermath with HAMMER and what not.
Old 04-15-14, 11:28 PM
Banned

It's Spider-Girl.
Old 04-15-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

What about the third one? There is another one if you keep looking up above the head of Reed Richards...
Old 04-15-14, 11:39 PM
Banned

I think CW would be a bad idea. You're asking the audience to hate the politically opposing side of heroes. I LIKED CW but at the same time it wasn't all that great. And jeez... How crappy could you turn the New Warriors. They'd been crap for so long and you let them be THAT stupid? Though superhuman registration does make sense but to what point do you create that issue I needing control? In a MCU type setting.
Old 04-16-14, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Not sure how I'd feel if they went with an adaptation of Civil War. That idea sounded a lot more interesting than it turned out being for the most part if you ask me.
That whole Civil War thing just sounds stupid and contrived. Like they needed to manufacture an, "Epic," storyline that passed through ALL of their titles to try and boost sales.

It would make a stupid movie storyline. Average movie fans who haven't read the comics won't like it. It's too wonky and too dark. They want to see their Marvel heroes in more FUN movies.
Old 04-16-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That whole Civil War thing just sounds stupid and contrived. Like they needed to manufacture an, "Epic," storyline that passed through ALL of their titles to try and boost sales.
That's exactly what it was. Comics do it all the time. It's the same as big summer blockbusters.
Old 04-16-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
That's exactly what it was. Comics do it all the time. It's the same as big summer blockbusters.
Well, I dropped out of comic buying when they re-wrote Spider-Man history and said that issue #150 was all a lie and meant nothing.

That whole, "Epic story to boost sales," thing really turned me off.

I'd hate to see the movies pick up on that type of storytelling when they really don't have to. And shouldn't.
Old 04-16-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
True but for comic books the "big events" are things that try to shake up the world, or change something permanently.

Big events for comic blockbusters a super hero fighting one or more main villains while undergoing a minor personal problem or two.
Old 04-16-14, 12:53 PM
Banned

Well, I dropped out of comic buying when they re-wrote Spider-Man history and said that issue #150 was all a lie and meant nothing.
That was the 1990s Clone Saga, right? The Clone Saga is the one where they said the Peter Parker we had been reading about since the 1970s was a clone.

Yeah, that was a huge disaster. It's pretty mild compared to how much they have fucked up Spidey in more recent years though.

Sins Past was a storyline where they turned Gwen Stacy into a slut. She was secretly having sex with Norman Osborn and ended up pregnant with twins. So the "real" reason Norman killed Gwen wasn't just to torment Peter by killing his girlfriend, but rather he killed her to cover up the pregnancy.

One More Day erased Peter's and Mary Jane's wedding. It didn't just erase it; it made it so that the wedding never even happened in the first place. So the last 20 years of history was effectively completely eliminated.

Most recently in the comics, Peter is dead and Doctor Octopus is the new "Superior" Spider-Man. Although Peter just came back in the last issue.
Old 04-16-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd hate to see the movies pick up on that type of storytelling when they really don't have to. And shouldn't.
When you have a interconnected universe like the MCU, and how everything ties together, you start heading to a major event like the Infinity Gauntlet. Otherwise what is the point of tying everything together if not to bring it all together?
Old 04-16-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
True but for comic books the "big events" are things that try to shake up the world, or change something permanently.

Big events for comic blockbusters a super hero fighting one or more main villains while undergoing a minor personal problem or two.
I think its safe to say that Avengers 3 is going to be pretty epic/shake up the world. Several stars contracts runs out in that movie.
Old 04-16-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sins Past was a storyline where they turned Gwen Stacy into a slut. She was secretly having sex with Norman Osborn and ended up pregnant with twins. So the "real" reason Norman killed Gwen wasn't just to torment Peter by killing his girlfriend, but rather he killed her to cover up the pregnancy.
What's funny is that Sins Past is what got me back into comics in general (including Walking Dead, all the Vaughan stuff, Bat books, Vertigo). I could jump right in, and it connected to the old Gwen Stacy stuff which I was familiar with via those black and white reprints. But yeah that arc pissed all over Gwen. War Games with Batman was a pretty interesting D.C. crossover from that year.But then a few years later, Civil War got me out of Marvel entirely.

I think its safe to say that Avengers 3 is going to be pretty epic/shake up the world. Several stars contracts runs out in that movie.
I was going to say with the exception of the cross over movies, but I didn't even consider part 3 and the contracts. That's a good point in that there could be permanent changes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.