Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I think they could do well to get back to picking a genre (like a spy movie) and leaning hard into it. And ramp the scale way down. I just rewatched the Daredevil series and it's great because it's about Daredevil just dealing with what happens in his neighborhood. They barely mention how it might affect the city at large. It's really all about what happens in Hell's Kitchen. You also don't run the risk of going "why doesn't Thor just come beat everyone up?" issue too when you keep it at a smaller scale.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Abob Teff (02-21-24), IBJoel (02-21-24)
Old 02-21-24, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Draven
I think they could do well to get back to picking a genre (like a spy movie) and leaning hard into it.
Agreed, I liked when the MCU involved spy films, heist films, space operas, etc. It kinda prevented the "superhero fatique" people talk about. They were various genre films that just happened to feature superheroes.
The following 4 users liked this post by cultshock:
Abob Teff (02-21-24), B5Erik (02-22-24), Spiderbite (02-22-24), story (02-22-24)
Old 02-21-24, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

I think they could do well to get back to picking a genre (like a spy movie) and leaning hard into it. And ramp the scale way down. I just rewatched the Daredevil series and it's great because it's about Daredevil just dealing with what happens in his neighborhood. They barely mention how it might affect the city at large. It's really all about what happens in Hell's Kitchen. You also don't run the risk of going "why doesn't Thor just come beat everyone up?" issue too when you keep it at a smaller scale.
I would've loved for Black Widow to be a neat little spy fiction piece with the final set piece being an island infiltration or something, but alas, both major setpieces "had" to be giant CGI fests.

Because of course you can't just have the character infiltrate an isalnd base! It has to be a hover-fortress that explodes at the end! And if there's one thing a movie about an expert assassin needs to have, it's devoting 50% of its runtime to the character's family /s
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Paul_SD (02-22-24), Spiderbite (02-22-24)
Old 02-21-24, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Because of course you can't just have the character infiltrate an isalnd base! It has to be a hover-fortress that explodes at the end!
Kind of agree that a more grounded adventure might’ve been fun, but I also have to admit that on 3D Blu-ray, the hover-fortress climax is spectacular.
Old 02-21-24, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Kind of agree that a more grounded adventure might’ve been fun, but I also have to admit that on 3D Blu-ray, the hover-fortress climax is spectacular.
I know the amount of Hong Kong, "guy infiltrates a base and shoots/beats the shit out of everyone" films you must have seen would make you also enjoy my version
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (02-21-24)
Old 02-21-24, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

True that. They probably could’ve done a Black Widow trilogy with adventures like that, maybe building up to the hover-fortress thing in the last one to send it out with a big finish. But I guess we only got the one because they had to set up some TV show I still haven’t seen.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-21-24)
Old 02-22-24, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

True that. They probably could’ve done a Black Widow trilogy with adventures like that, maybe building up to the hover-fortress thing in the last one to send it out with a big finish. But I guess we only got the one because they had to set up some TV show I still haven’t seen.
What TV show? Hawkeye?
Old 02-22-24, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I glanced at that article this morning. It does sound like they were taking the steps to fix the mess they’re in.

Dumping Kang and the whole Kang story is probably a good idea.

I also don’t believe in the whole “Super hero fatigue”. There is a segment sick of spending their hard earned money on average or bad movies. You want to get people excited again like in 2018, 2019, work on making better movies. Going to the movies is really expensive for many people, and you got to make it a great experience with good characters that will bring good WOM. Then, people will get excited and not just say…”I’ll just stream it in 4 months”
“Super hero fatigue" is a thing, That is why it is being talked about so much. Anecdotal but I have stopped going to them in the theaters. Many other have as well or they would be making bigger Box Office.

Make better movies...OK some of you love the recent content. Others don't. Good luck with that.

Nothing they have done recently has me excited to journey to the theater because it is a must see. Deadpool maybe. Fantastic 4?? Love them but they f'ed it up multiple times so why not wait for streaming?

A new Captain America? Nah.

Blade? Screams streaming to me.

Sorry I am not as excited as the rest of you are with the current and upcoming content.

Old 02-22-24, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
“Super hero fatigue" is a thing, That is why it is being talked about so much. Anecdotal but I have stopped going to them in the theaters. Many other have as well or they would be making bigger Box Office.

Make better movies...OK some of you love the recent content. Others don't. Good luck with that.

Nothing they have done recently has me excited to journey to the theater because it is a must see. Deadpool maybe. Fantastic 4?? Love them but they f'ed it up multiple times so why not wait for streaming?

A new Captain America? Nah.

Blade? Screams streaming to me.

Sorry I am not as excited as the rest of you are with the current and upcoming content.
It's possible that you have just moved past it. I distinctly remember when that happened to me with episodic TV. We used to watch all the CSIs, Law and Orders, Monk, Elementary, etc. - but then they started piling up on the Tivo (who can keep up with all of that?) and I started having seasons' worth of these shows to catch up on - and I realized that I just didn't care that much anymore.

I'll be there opening weekend for every movie you listed. Marvel movies are about the only thing that can get me to the theater these days. For example, I sort of wanted to see I.S.S. but that's an easy wait for streaming. Same with pretty much all of the Academy Award nominated films. But I want to see the Marvel movies ASAP because I want to be part of that conversation. The rest I can wait on.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Abob Teff (02-22-24), Boondock Saint (02-23-24)
Old 02-22-24, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

It's possible that you have just moved past it. I distinctly remember when that happened to me with episodic TV. We used to watch all the CSIs, Law and Orders, Monk, Elementary, etc. - but then they started piling up on the Tivo (who can keep up with all of that?) and I started having seasons' worth of these shows to catch up on - and I realized that I just didn't care that much anymore.
I attribute it to what Eddie Murphy said about crackers.

Old 02-22-24, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Agreed, I liked when the MCU involved spy films, heist films, space operas, etc. It kinda prevented the "superhero fatique" people talk about. They were various genre films that just happened to feature superheroes.
I've been saying this for over 2 years.

The Marvel movies were smaller in scale and each had their own thing going on. Then Marvel movies became one genre of bloated, overblown stories that had interchangeable characters. And many of them weren't even mediocre. They were pretty bad.

People got tired of wasting their money on that stuff pretty quickly.
Old 02-22-24, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What TV show? Hawkeye?
That must be the one. I see Florence Pugh was in it. I haven’t seen any of the TV shows yet. If anything, that probably kept me from getting superhero fatigue over the movies. I do plan to watch the shows eventually. Maybe now’s a good time, what with Marvel rethinking things and slowing the machine down a bit.
Old 02-22-24, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

If Kang is done, that is unfortunate.

They let Benson and Moorehead mostly be themselves in Loki Season 2, and it’s pretty much the one worthwhile new entry.

I’m watching Halo right now. I can appreciate all the effort that goes into making it look good, and tell a clear story. It should be better than it is. It is expensive and competent.

Film thrives when chances are taken. Someone finds a fresh creative aspect, wows everyone, and then we get 5 or 10 years of diminishing returns. You can apply that to any trend in film.
Old 02-23-24, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,510 Posts

That must be the one. I see Florence Pugh was in it.
Yep, that's the one.