Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 01:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My Amazon set arrived today (2-day shipping).
Old 01-17-07, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
It should have shipped today since it was release day. Did you use the free shipping method?
Yeah.....that might be why.....O well.....it should come by next week which would be perfect timing cause I got the whole week off....
Old 01-17-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Survival Specs:

BBC DVD/2Entertain has announced full details of the DVD of "Survival", which will be hitting the British retail shelves in a 2-disk, heavily specials-laden release on 3 April 2007. The final story of the original Doctor Who series, "Survival" (starring Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor, Sophie Aldred as Ace, and Anthony Ainley as the Master) is also the 40th Classic Doctor Who DVD release.

Special features include:

Disc 1

Main commentary withith Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and script-editor Andrew Cartmel.

Second commentary (episode three only). Fan commentary from the winners of a recent Doctor Who Magazine competition.

Cat Flap - a two-part documentary covering the making of Survival. Part One covers set-up and pre-production, Part Two covers shooting and post-production. With Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Lisa Bowerman, Will Barton, Sakuntala Ramanee and Adele Silva, script editor Andrew Cartmel, director Alan Wareing, visual effects assistant Mike Tucker, composer Dominic Glynn and costume designer Ken Trew. Narrated by Paul Ewing.

Deleted and Extended Scenes - material from the first edit of the story that didn't make the final cut, plus comparisons of some of the scenes before and after the video effects were added.

Out-takes and comedy moments from the production of the story.

Continuities and trailers from the original BBC1 transmission.

Photo Gallery - production and behind-the-scenes stills from the making of the story.

Isolated Score - option to view the story with synchronous isolated music.

Radio Times listings in Adobe pdf format for viewing on PC or Mac.

Programme subtitles and subtitle production notes.

Disc 2

Endgame - Why was Doctor Who cancelled at the end of Season 26? What might have been in store for the Doctor and Ace if the series had continued into Season 27? With Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred, script editor Andrew Cartmel, writers Ben Aaronovitch and Colin Brake, BBC Head of Drama Series Peter Cregeen, composer Mark Ayres and visual effects designer Mike Tucker. Narrated by Paul Ewing.

Search Out Science - a schools programme featuring the Doctor and Ace, with Stephen Johnson and K9.

Little Girl Lost - A retrospective look at the development of Sophie Aldred's character, Ace, from her first story, Dragonfire through to her last, Survival. With Sophie Aldred, creator Ian Briggs and script editor Andrew Cartmel.

Destiny of the Doctors - Anthony Ainley's last appearance as The Master, in these links from the 1997 computer game.

Search Out Science & Ainley's scenes from the Destiny game? Wow. This release is more than I expected.
Old 02-02-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R2 News: Survival delayed 2 weeks

From Gally:

Survival delayed

2|entertain announced today that the planned 2-disk DVD release of "Survival", the final broadcast story of the Original Series, starring Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor, Sophie Aldred as Ace, and Anthony Ainley as the Master, has been pushed back two weeks. The disk is now scheduled to be available on retail shelves in the UK on April 16.
Old 02-14-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

R1 News: New Beginnings - June 5th

From TVShowsonDVD.com

Doctor Who - Tom Baker Passes the Torch: 3 New DVDs, Including 'Logopolis'!

Posted by David Lambert
2/14/2007

"It's the end... but the moment has been prepared for."

A couple of weeks ago, Doctor Who fans in the U.K. were fortunate to get their DVD release of the New Beginnings Collection, a box set featuring DVDs with Stories #115, 116 and 117: "The Keeper Of Traken," "Logopolis" and "Castrovalva". These are the stories that ended Tom Baker's 7-year run as the fourth doctor, and turned the job over to Peter Davison. These installments also mark the return of arch-enemy The Master, and major changes in companions aboard the TARDIS.

The BBC and Warner Home Video are preparing to announce that these same releases will come to North America on June 5th, as a 292-minute box set that will go for $49.98 SRP. These serials will also be available as separate DVD releases, for those who prefer it that way.

Commentary Tracks, Interviews (both old and new), Featurettes, Deleted Scenes, Photo Galleries, Subtitle Production Notes, Trailers, Vintage News Clips, Isolated Music, and a Music Video will be found as the extras among these 3 discs. We've got a small look at the box set, but we'll have more info and bigger cover art when the studio makes it all formal. Stay tuned!

Didn't think we'd get an announcement of this so soon.
Old 02-14-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Updated!
Old 02-15-07, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Didn't think we'd get an announcement of this so soon.
neither did I...great news!
Old 02-26-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the recent Gallifrey Convention:

“SURVIVAL” TO BE RELEASED IN SEPTEMBER
It was announced by Steve Roberts of the BBC Restoration Team at the recent Gallifrey convention in Los Angeles that September will see the North American release of the last story of the original series, Survival, starring Sylvester McCoy. There will also be another story released alongside it, but it’s identity is not yet known. (It will most likely be the DVD that the UK gets in May.)

Survival was a three-episode story, but the DVD will be 2 discs, as it also includes documentaries on why the series was cancelled and what would have happened in the next season had it not been.
ALSO:

FUTURE INTENTIONS
At the recent Gallifrey convention in Los Angeles, Steve Roberts of the BBC Restoration Team spoke about the intentions of the DVD producers in the UK for the classic series range. Of particular note were these items:

- There is to be an emphasis on completing seasons, so that a complete box set of those seasons can also be released. Therefore, expect to see more stories from seasons that are already well-represented in an effort to finish those ones off.

- In addition to the usual 3-disc box set once-a-year, there will also be occasional 2-story sets. The stories may either be back-to-back in the chronology of the episodes, or they may be set some distance apart but with some linking element between them. (If they do come from a distance apart, they will be released with their own seperate cases within the box so that they can still be stored chronologically on your shelf.)

- By picking up the pace of release like this, they hope to have the entirety of the classic series (missing episodes excepted) in release by 2012.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 02-26-07 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-27-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R2 News: Survival, Robot & Timelash!

From Outpost Gallifrey:

2007 DVD schedule updated

The official BBC Doctor Who website has released information on the DVD schedule for the first half of this year.

For the classic series: 16th April will be the delayed classic series story Survival; 28th May will see the release of Tom Baker's premiere, Robot; and 25th June will be the Colin Baker story Timelash.

For the new series, 2nd April will see the release of last year's Christmas Special, The Runaway Bride - in a change to last year's release form, the DVD will just consist of the special (ie. without Smith and Jones). The first 3rd season release is to be expected in June.

With the exception of Survival, extras for the forthcoming releases are yet to be revealed, though Tom Baker mentioned in the recent New Beginnings boxed set that he had recorded a commentary for Robot.
Old 02-28-07, 04:55 AM

Does anyone know of a good site for Doctor Who easter eggs? DVD Talk's easter egg database is less that impressive in this area.
Old 02-28-07, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a good site:

http://www.dwwa.net/dwvwe/dvd/eggs/eggs.html

Doesn't have the eggs for the new Series 1 box set tho.
Old 02-28-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another good one:

http://www.whoniversity.co.uk/timerotor/hidden.php
Old 03-01-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Restoration articles for Robot & Timelash now online.
Old 03-01-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the Timelash article:

This release will be first to feature a 'Coming Soon' trail which will act as a taster for the next DVD release, specially made by Brendan Sheppard.

Coming soon trailer? I wonder if this is the first of 2entertain's new edict to make Classic Doctor Who DVDs more "acceptable" to new series fans.

The extras for both discs seem a tad light. Tho I wasn't expecting much for Timelash.
Old 03-04-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone get Invasion early? I'm really looking forward to Tuesday
Old 03-04-07, 09:10 PM
Dai

Originally Posted by turborobb
Anyone get Invasion early? I'm really looking forward to Tuesday
Picked mine up yesterday and watched the first disc (eps 1-4) today.

The animation is excellent!!! It really puts the story together and I hope that they continue to do more missing stories like this! Restoration of the actual episodes is top notch as you would expect from the RT.

Haven't had a chance to go through the special features yet. Hopefully this week sometime
Old 03-05-07, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine are in the mail and I cannot wait for them to get here so I can check out Invasion as well. Unfortunately from what I've heard (either here or another board), it has been said that it will be doubtful if we see any further animated releases. I guess it didn't hit the sales threshold in the UK needed to justify the cost.
Old 03-05-07, 09:47 AM

Having had the R2 Invasion release for a while, I can say it's excellent all around; if you waited for the R1, you've got a lot of patience! The "New Beginnings" set is excellent as well, though Castrovalva is still as limp as it was when I first saw it way back when. Looking forward to The Sontaran Experiment tomorrow, and the R2 Survival next month.
Old 03-10-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Updated!
Old 04-02-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R2 News: Series 3, Vol. 1

From Outpost Gallifrey:

Series 3 Volume 1 DVD
DVD and Video
April 2, 2007 • Posted By Shaun Lyon
Outpost Gallifrey has received the cover illustration for the UK release of the Series Three, Volume One DVD disc, due out on 21 May 2007. The disc includes the episodes "Smith and Jones," "The Shakespeare Code" and "Gridlock".
Old 04-02-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...and Gallifreyone.com has the covers of these upcoming R1 releases. Click to make bigger:

Last edited by evenswr; 04-02-07 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-02-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those have already been posted on the first page of this thread awhile ago (the 3/10 update). Well, everything except for the actual box.

Thanks. I'm adding it now.

EDIT: Damn, it's still the small picture that's been floating around for over a month. Still waiting for a good pic of that box.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 04-02-07 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-02-07, 03:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That Season 3 DVD artwork is laughingly bad, especially the pose. Still, beats this stupid picture:

Old 04-16-07, 09:35 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
A little bit of history…

Back in the 60’s, it seems the BBC didn’t believe (or found it cost ineffective) in keeping tapes or films of old shows. So there are quite a few old Doctor Who episodes that no longer exist. So for The Invasion, a powerful season 6 story from Doctor #2, Patrick Troughton, they have gone back and animated the two missing episodes from the eight part story. What makes it even more interesting--and those of you who have grown up in the age of the VCR, DVD recorders and TiVo may find this hard to believe—is that fans back in the 60’s put microphones up to the television set and audio recorded the shows. This was the only real way to relive these shows. I remember back in the 70’s recorded The Jefferson’s in much the same way! It’s these fans who have supplied the audio for the missing episodes for the animators to work with. And there is a featurette on the DVD that goes in detail about who some of these people are, and the audio engineer who made it all work.

Back to the DVD…the animators did an incredible job of bringing the Doctor and crew to life. Though there is no comparing an animated Fazer Hines’ Jamie to the real thing (great legs!) for a limited budget they really captured the feel of the other episodes.
I really hope they pursue animating more of the missing episodes.

The story itself plays out like a precursor to the 10th Doctor’s Rise of the Cybermen, which is fitting because David Tennant’s Doctor is pretty close in tone to Patrick Troughton’s. There is a great sense of innocence, along with an undercurrent of menace.
There are quite a few slow moments, and a lot of repetition (“Packer!”) but The Invasion still delivers a solid story. There are lots of great moments between the characters, especially between Zoe and Isobel, and the mental fencing between the Doctor and villain Tobias Vaughn. This is also the first story to feature UNIT, the United Nations Intelligence Task Force, which plays a much larger roll in the Jon Pertwee years.
Old 04-16-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I really hope they pursue animating more of the missing episodes.
Seems like this might actually happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.