Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How old will you be when you give up gaming?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: How old will you be when you give up gaming?
30-40
6.90%
41-50
0%
51-60
0%
61 and beyond…
17.24%
I’ll never stop stopping.
55.17%
What are you highl?
20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

How old will you be when you give up gaming?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: How old will you be when you give up gaming?

I just turned 47, and I haven't fired up my PS5 to play a game in almost 3 years. I play mobile games sometimes, but interest in those comes and goes in spurts.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (03-23-24)
Old 03-12-24, 08:12 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
My wife and I are both 49 and we are already having to ease up on gaming due to arthritis and carpal tunnel and such. I can still play PoGo, but console games and such are harder and harder to do for long periods.
I can vouch for arthritic pain. I've eased up on games that require exclusive use of the D pad. Played FFVII (on my PS2) for a bit about 2 weeks ago, trying to level grind (because I like to) at Mideel beach in preparation of heading to Wutai and let Yuffie kick the crap out of her Dad. Had to take a break from that because my hands hurt...
Old 03-23-24, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Gaming is one of the few remaining areas out there...Music also...that you can be any age and enjoy it with anyone...as long as they don't get some 'You're too old to Game" syndrome. It was several years back that one day we went to visit my grandson for Luch at his School. He was thrilled and had his friends around then suddenly he belts out, "hey...this is my Paw-Paw who plays video games with me".....about 2-3 looked at me and was awe struck and asked, "you really do play video game...which ones?".....I told them and they couldn't believe it and was like wow, this is awesome......and one then said, "I can't even get my parents to play with me"....

I'll be 67 in May and will play until i can't hold a controller. My late wife didn't mind and many times would come around while playing and ask who I was playing with, I'd tell her and she say hi loud enough for them to hear. Plus she knew I was home safe and not out doing whatever, spending $$$ or getting into trouble.
Old 03-23-24, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I'm 45 and since being in my 40's I've played way more hours per week than at any time in my life when I was younger. I only play single player games on easy difficulty so I don't see why I would ever need to stop playing.
K&AJones (03-24-24)
Old 03-25-24, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

52 here, still playing, just less, due to time, really.
But my reflexes (and eyesight) aren't what they used to be, so the more difficult games that require quicker reflexes and stuff, aren't games I can play with much satisfaction, so I gravitate to the more easy/mellow games, as I don't crave "challenging" games any more.
K&AJones (03-26-24)
Old 03-25-24, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

First want to say, if you think being in your forties is "old" - then you seriously need to change your lifestyle habits - 40's should be your peek. I say that and I'm 48.

I'm into gaming more than ever now. I don't have a huge library of games, but the ones I do have, I play a lot.

I will say though, since I started playing many moons ago, I could care less about challenging myself with story mode, so I've always played on easy or very easy - I play for the story and gameplay alone - not the challenge. I only like the challenge when I'm playing people online in fighting games.

Lastly, I had no idea I was 8 years older than Oldboy, I honestly thought he was 60 or so.

K&AJones (03-26-24)
Old 03-25-24, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I'll game 'til i can't game no more.
K&AJones (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Also 40, my interest in them waxes and wanes but why would I ever give them up outright? It seems like the perfect retirement hobby.
I'm an occasional gamer because I don't have a lot of time to do it right now, but I might be retiring in about a year (at 52) and one thing I really look forward to is more time for gaming.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
K&AJones (03-29-24), Nesbit (03-26-24)
Old 03-29-24, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 244 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
First want to say, if you think being in your forties is "old" - then you seriously need to change your lifestyle habits - 40's should be your peek. I say that and I'm 48.
Yeah, but you're over the hill once you hit 50

See the "Turning 50" thread in the Other section
Old 03-29-24, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by etching

Not sure what "Over the Hill" means anymore....but I tend to look at "50" as one has reached the halfway point in Life and you still have more to go. Providing health issues don't hit you sooner like Cancer which took my Wife last October but sadly can take anyone, anytime and any age. Enjoy Life be it gaming or whatever every day and don't let "Age Barriers" detour you.
Old 03-29-24, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by etching

lol, I'm fine with all that. I definitely don't look my age at all and I plan on keeping that way.

I'll say this though, I did notice big time at around the age of 47, your body and brain want to tell you to slow down, You just have to fight past it for a while then you'll be able to move forward again.
Old 04-01-24, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Hitting 50 this year and last month I bought:
5 Switch games
2 Wii U games
1 PC Game

When I was 8, I was spanked and "disciplined" often by my parents for spending all day at the arcades. Yes I was obsessed and my parents thought that it was going to melt my brain or something. Funny part is that I turned to Apple IIe computers in 1984 so I could play video games for free at our school lab since no one was using the computers (it was only me and a high school girl that was the "tech"). That taught me how to type and how to program. I eventually moved to business and stayed away from engineering and programming, but it helps me till this day on my work. I still play every day, be it PC, NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, Wii, Wii U, Switch.

So yeah, not stopping ever, not happening.
K&AJones (04-01-24)
Old 04-04-24, 10:24 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I suppose it depends how you define still playing. I'm in my mid 70s and I keep my Nintendo membership, for $20 why not? I downloaded the demos for Dave the Diver and Princess Peach but didn't really care for either. Nothing will ever capture the excitement I felt playing Super Metroid on the SNES or Final Fantasy 7 on the PlayStation.

It's like traveling. People tell you to do it while you're young and I'm glad I did. American colleagues were aghast when I took a year off to travel and other people said so what. So play hard and see some more of the world because when you're old you'd be too tired.
Rival11 (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DeFan
I suppose it depends how you define still playing. I'm in my mid 70s and I keep my Nintendo membership, for $20 why not? I downloaded the demos for Dave the Diver and Princess Peach but didn't really care for either. Nothing will ever capture the excitement I felt playing Super Metroid on the SNES or Final Fantasy 7 on the PlayStation.

It's like traveling. People tell you to do it while you're young and I'm glad I did. American colleagues were aghast when I took a year off to travel and other people said so what. So play hard and see some more of the world because when you're old you'd be too tired.
I mean, does "Adulthood" really exist? I don't think so. We just reach an age where we act more mature in general, but always do what we love.

Who really cares how old you are....do what makes you happy and just live life how you want. I'd be worried if people gave up things they loved just because of something stupid like age.