Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection - 2022

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection - 2022

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I didn't even notice that this also has an NES version of Tournament Fighters. Back in the day, I only knew of the Genesis and SNES versions (only played the latter) and assumed they were both identical.
Yeah, I thought the same but apparently they are different. I always liked Tournament Fighters as a kid. Rented it on Genesis a couple times.

I just played through The Arcade Game with my fiancée. Way easier having two players. We beat it in like twenty-ish minutes. I’d do pretty crappy or would need a lot of coins if I was actually playing in an arcade as we both kept dying.
Old 08-31-22, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

That’s be cool if they tallied up how much money you would have spent at the end of your session for any arcade games.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluetoast:
majorjoe23 (08-31-22), story (08-31-22)
Old 08-31-22, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought I rented Tournament Fighters for Genesis but maybe it actually was the NES version as it feels a lot more familiar.
Old 08-31-22, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I watched a couple reviews on YouTube and there's only five games that you can play with friends online. You can't play the snes version of Turtles in Time online with friends. That's a huge bummer for me.
Old 08-31-22, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do think a lot of the games are probably better co-op. They throw so much at you that it’s hard to beat the enemies and still have enough health for boss fights unless you’re really good.

Player some of The Hyperstone Heist tonight. Pretty fun game. It’s one I’ve never played. Made it up to stage four where it makes you beat the bosses you previously defeated and then died/ran out of continues.
Old 09-01-22, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The menu music is beyond awful and can’t be muted. Other than that, I’m enjoying things so far. A few of these games are new to me.
Old 09-02-22, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The original NES game is still so hard. I’ve tried playing it a few times since having this collection and can barely make any progress in it. I think I’m worse at it now than when I had it as a kid (it was one of the few NES games we owned).
Old 09-02-22, 08:32 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Does it still slow down and stutter when there are too many
moving objects on the screen?
Old 09-02-22, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven’t encountered that yet, but on the third or fourth level I was straight up stuck with no place to go forward. Unless I have to trigger something or break a door, but I don’t think it’s that type of situation. There are also times where you enter or drop down into an area and you have no choice but to get hit, which is pretty cheap.
The following users liked this post:
story (09-05-22)
Old 09-02-22, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Does it still slow down and stutter when there are too many
moving objects on the screen?
You can set it so it doesn’t slow down/flicker.
story (09-05-22)
Old 09-05-22, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

So my son and I played through "Turtles in Time". When you get sent to the future it is 2020, haha. There wasn't a single mask or social distancing though.......they got it totally wrong.
The following 3 users liked this post by mewmartigan:
John Pannozzi (09-06-22), story (09-05-22), tanman (09-06-22)
Old 09-05-22, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I haven’t encountered that yet, but on the third or fourth level I was straight up stuck with no place to go forward. Unless I have to trigger something or break a door, but I don’t think it’s that type of situation. There are also times where you enter or drop down into an area and you have no choice but to get hit, which is pretty cheap.

Old 09-06-22, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Man the menu is awful. Played some Fall of the foot clan, which i played a lot in my youth. And I suck at it now.
Old 09-07-22, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Honestly, that's what's keeping me from buying, I love the first part of the original TMNT NES game, but I have never in all these years been able to get past the swimming stage. My reflexes weren't good enough as a kid and they're certainly not good enough now.

My toughest spot was always in the Technodrome with a room full of floating guys who had really hard hitting ray guns. It was one of the last things you would encounter before Shredder. I got pretty good at the swimming stage, but then again I was an only child with not much of a life when I got the game.
Old 09-08-22, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I'm totally reliving my teens being able to play TMNT and watch new Beavis and Butthead
The following 3 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
gryffinmaster (09-08-22), milo bloom (09-08-22), story (09-08-22)
Old 09-09-22, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Beat The Hyperstone Heist tonight. Had it set to easy and upped my number of lives to four and also continued to five. Managed to get through it in only two continues. Pretty good game.

Surprisingly the GameBoy games are fairly fun too but are also hard (a recurring trend with these TMNT games).
Old 09-09-22, 11:36 PM

I bought and downloaded this today and spent a few hours with it. Mostly a good time but some frustrations, too.

Breezed through TMNT Arcade and it scratched the nostalgic itch but it reminded me how much better TMNT Turtles in Time arcade is, just in terms of game play alone. But that said, playing that back to back with TMNT IV Turtles in Time for SNES, the home console version is leaps and bounds better than the arcade version.

TMNT IV has better music and better moves than the arcade version, hand down. I can actually throw Foot Soldiers in the SNES version. In fact, I throw nearly every single one to earn extra points for extra lives. You definitely need them, because I play on hard with 5 continues and 7 lives and being rusty made me go through those, especially against Slash in Prehistoric Turtlesaurus, and he is the hardest boss of the game. The SNES version also has more variety. I like that Sewer Surfin' and Neon Night Riders are one-hit enemy bo us levels, plus the two extra levels are excellent. I prefer the Roadkill Rodneys to the ridiculous boxing robots, too.

Thing is, the SNES version is still only 2-player, so the kids and i played the arcade version as 3-player. We had fun, but it's the lesser game. I went through Turtles in Time on my own and then with the kids. I got all the way to Super Shredder in the SNES version and ran out of lives and continues while he was in the flashing stage of HP, ugh!

Online play was really choppy or really great. Maybe it's me. Anybody want to plag?

TMNT for NES is just as hard as I remember, just wow. They should have a stage seelct so i cam just play certain things and move on with my life. Looks like there are some codes, including invincibility, to try!
Adam Tyner (09-10-22)
Old 09-09-22, 11:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES, Turtles II Arcade NES, Turtles III and the Turtles IV Arcade are the only game i was into back then when they were around during the 1990s.

NES Turtles II i was not aware that it was the home version of the lesser known arcade game. Turtles IV the Arcade game is the only on that i know of and loved playing a few times at Pizza Hut.
Old 09-10-22, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel like the Super Nintendo version of Turtles in Time is easier than the arcade version. No complaints about that just something I noticed.

You can tell the arcade games were meant to eat quarters and were hard, especially if you play alone. Then again though I would say most of the games in the collection are fairly difficult. Surprisingly so really since kids probably were largely the target market.
story (09-10-22)
Old 09-10-22, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by story
TMNT for NES is just as hard as I remember, just wow. They should have a stage seelct so i cam just play certain things and move on with my life. Looks like there are some codes, including invincibility, to try!
The enhancements can be a drag. I got through the TMNT NES Dam level on the first try and didn’t lose any Turtles. But no "God Mode" on this game? Or level select? Thousands of gamers will continue to never see the final level! Another "miss" for enhancements is I can't find a way to stage select for TMNT IV and select Hard Mode to get the good ending. It's one or the other, bummer.
Old 11-18-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Is there any difference between the PS4 and PS5 versions? I know they're old games, but is there any difference in graphics between the PS4 and PS5 versions?