Reload this Page >

The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2021

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2021

Old 01-29-22, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,883 Likes on 1,895 Posts
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2021

Q, did you play Lost in Random? I see it's on sale in PSN for $11.99 which is a significant discount for a four month old game that lists for $29.99. It looks interesting and unique and right up your alley, so I was wondering if you missed it or if you thought it wasn't good enough to make your list.
Old 01-29-22, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Q, did you play Lost in Random? I see it's on sale in PSN for $11.99 which is a significant discount for a four month old game that lists for $29.99. It looks interesting and unique and right up your alley, so I was wondering if you missed it or if you thought it wasn't good enough to make your list.
The artstyle looked cool but I'm not a big fan of card/dice mechanics and all the combat is card based. I read a few reviews at launch and nothing they mentioned really grabbed me so I skipped it.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (01-29-22)
Old 01-29-22, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

I played through The Wild at Heart based on its inclusion here and enjoyed it quite a bit. I probably liked it more than I would’ve had I discovered it blindly, as I knew going in that it was going to have lots of mechanics to mess with on top of the Pikmin-lite angle. I only used crafting for a handful of items and mostly opted out of the night/day cycle by just resting whenever the day got to dusk. For Pikmin fans with Game Pass, it’s a no-brainer to at least check it out.
The Questyen (01-29-22)
Old 01-31-22, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Bought Life Is Strange because of how high it was ranked and because I liked the first one a lot. Ended up pretty disappointed though. Nothing you did really mattered much, there were no stakes because you couldn't fail and no one could die. Meh.
Old 01-31-22, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 609 Likes on 429 Posts

I just finished Life is Strange: True Colors last week. Probably my GOTY (however I haven't played that many). That being said, I can't argue with your complaint. I think the characters and story make up for the lack of stakes or branching story paths. When chapter 4 ended I was wondering how crazy it would be if they could produce 2 totally different chapter 5s depending on your choices.
Old 01-31-22, 08:44 PM

Thankfully I don't base game quality on whether or not my choices allow someone to die or not.
Old 01-31-22, 08:50 PM

Yeah I loved it. But for those on the fence I think watching a complete play through on YouTube might be enough.
That said, I'm happy I got it when it came out.

Speaking of which, Life is Strange Remastered Collection comes out tomorrow.
Old 01-31-22, 09:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts

I mean, the first LiS game set the bar pretty high with

Spoiler:
Lisa, the plant.

Spoiler:
Oh, also Kate, the girl you have to talk down.

Spoiler:
And Chloe.

Spoiler:
And the entire town of Arcadia Bay...

Wolf359 (02-01-22)
Old 02-01-22, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Thankfully I don't base game quality on whether or not my choices allow someone to die or not.
Nice bit of snarkiness there. ​​​​​​
​​​​​​Did I kwiticize the widdle game?
Old 02-01-22, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 View Post
Nice bit of snarkiness there. ​​​​​​
​​​​​​Did I kwiticize the widdle game?
I didn't make the game so why would it bother me if you like it or not?
Old 02-07-22, 01:17 AM

Little Nightmares 2 Deluxe Edition is $19.99 (50% Off) on PSN right now. I picked it up and played for a bit. Nothing mind-blowing but it has a cool art style and simple controls and story. Never played the first game but this seems very reminiscent of Limbo but with an Ico like companion mechanic.
Old 04-22-22, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
8. Lake (XBSX) (currently on Gamepass)

This game out of any on my list is probably the one that I wouldn't recommend to just anyone. It is a very slow moving (literally your run in this game is probably 10% of a normal walk in any other game) chill game that involves delivering mail in a small town and meeting all the residents. There are no time limits for your mail delivery and your day ends when ever you feel like it ending. And that's exactly what I loved about it. I loved it's slow chill pace. I loved meeting and interacting with all the weird residents. I loved the silly side quests they'd send you on. The movie rental store has a pretty extensive amount of parody movie VHS covers in it that were fun to go through. But the biggest surprise for me was when I was driving to a farmhouse and saw someone doing metal detecting in a field so I hopped out to talk to them and it was literally Mackenzie Crook's character from Detectorists (I bet no one expected 2 references from a 5 year old British tv show on my top 20 list) doing a cameo in this random videogame. If you've seen the crowd reactions when the surprises happen in Spider-Man: No Way Home that was my reaction when Mackenzie Crook started talking. So why is this game not higher? It doesn't run great and had some annoying bugs. But otherwise it's missing a little more substance. Some more stuff to do/residents to interact with could have helped flesh it out immensely. With those things this might have been my favorite game of the year. Even still Lake is quite the experience and made by a small team so I can't fault them too much.
Lake is now available on PlayStation. I don't usually buy games when they first come out, but it was only $19.99 and I bought it. I'm excited to play it.
Adam Tyner (04-22-22)
Old 04-22-22, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 609 Likes on 429 Posts

Alright, color me surprised. I just scrolled through again to see where It Takes Two fell on the list since I just finished it a week or so ago. Not on the list?? Hands down my GOTY, just edging out Life is Strange: True Colors.

So, what gives Q? Didn't play it?