Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Game questions from a newb

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,683 Posts
Re: Game questions from a newb

Originally Posted by Dan
If you buy physical games, you're committing to swapping the cartridges any time you want to play. You can't do any kind of "load the game and leave the cart at home" sort of deal. You have to have the cart in the system.
If you buy digital, that doesn't matter, though I think you do need to 'go online' every so often to confirm you own the digital game you're trying to play. Though I could have that part wrong...

The controller to buy is the Pro Controller. This guy: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swit...dp/B01NAWKYZ0/
Those controller-holders you linked are ok if the games you play are setup for that sort of thing (one joycon per player). I think many are.
Yeah, sorry for the confusion, when you use the cart you don't load anything into the system, only digital games are loaded fully onto the system.
The "check in every once in a while" system is only if you have more than one switch: I don't believe it's a requirement for what is your primary switch, only a secondary switch where it needs to check if the license is already being used multiple times.

You will need another controller anyway. The switch comes with two joycons (a left and a right) and while they can be used as individual controllers, for most games you will want to use both as a single controller.

The official option is to get either another set of joycons or a pro controller. Both are pretty pricey. The pro controller is basically like a normal controller you'd use on an Xbox or playstation. There are some games (like Mario Party) that do not work with the pro controller but the vast majority of games with traditional controls will.

Note that the joycons are notoriously fragile, and in the US and some other territories there is actually a free program to fix the dreaded "analog stick drift" that almost all joycons will eventually suffer from. For this reason I try to have my young kids use the pro controller instead, since it's a lot more durable.

If you want to go cheaper but still really good, you can get the 8bitdo Pro+. The caveats with them (and all non Nintendo controllers) is that you wont' be able to turn on the system with them, and they won't have the "HD rumble" that the official nintendo ones do. They are also "Playstation style" parallel sticks as opposed to the Pro controller's "Xbox style" staggered sticks.

Cheaper still you can get other 8bitdo wireless options. For wired you can get a variety of wired controllers and hook it up to the dock, or even an adapter to use other controllers from other systems.

There are also other options. I have a controller from a company called Binbok which are basically a pro controller-styled grip that can split in half like joycons. They are fine but I don't think they hold up to the actual pro controller.
Old 10-15-21, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Returning to this because I want to make sure I understand. If we only have one system, and, say, we're going on an airplane (so not taking the whole system, just the handheld part), do you just bring a bunch of physical games along with you and pop them in? I assume they are really small. Can you take a physical game and load it and not have to bring the actual physical game with you? Can you do that for multiple physical games? Or if you buy physical games you're committing to carrying around that game (cartridge-like, SD card like?) with you?

Also, a friend suggested I buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/FASTSNAIL-Nin...CKK/ref=sr_1_4 and I have seen people talk about getting some kind of controller, but since I don't really know anything, is this what I should buy, or something different?

Talk to me like I'm an idiot.
More on the controllers. With links!

Keep in mind the system comes with a grip to put the joycon in and make it like a "regular controller". It works quite well.

I wouldn't really buy those. It will make the joycon more comfortable to hold but you might as well buy another wired controller for less than $10 more.
Amazon Amazon

If you have the extra money this is what you get. It's pricey but it does everything and lasts. It's the pro controller that everyone has mentioned.
Amazon Amazon

For a little bit less money this is also an excellent controller. Especially to play the older games.
Amazon Amazon

Not necessary now but down the road if you find yourself playing in handheld mode a lot I highly consider getting a grip. This is the best one to get and make sure you get the bundle with the case because you won't find a case that will fit it with the grip. https://www.satisfye.com/collections...ngrip-pro-slim

Also don't forget a screen saver! The switch's screens are plastic and extremely easy to scratch.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-15-21, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
If you want to carry it on the go with just the handheld part, I would suggest a carrying case, that will store the system and several games. Something like this. You can also see the size of the games in relation to the system here.

The thing your friend suggested is just a grip for the joycon to make it easier to hold. Most kids don't have a problem holding one, but lots of adults do. If you want a full size controller, there's the Switch pro controller, which is best for bigger hands, but can obviously only be used when the switch is docked and plugged into the TV.
You can use a pro controller when you're not docked. Don't forget the Switch has a (crappy) kickstand.
Old 10-15-21, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 657 Likes on 474 Posts

Thanks guys! Love the links, tanman, that's crazy helpful.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (10-15-21)
Old 10-16-21, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought I'd post it in here since we were talking about cheap 1st party games. Target will have Pikmin 3 on sale for $30 for just one day on 10/17. Should start at 0100 EST.
Old 10-29-21, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this Costco bundle a good deal? https://www.costco.com/nintendo-swit...x2DU3z4w%3D%3D

It is more than I was expecting to spend, but with all that you guys are telling me, I need a case, a nice controller, a bigger SD card, screen protector. And when I buy all those, seems like this might save a little money? But I'm such a newb at this, there may be things I am missing.
Old 10-29-21, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 783 Likes on 517 Posts

Is this Costco bundle a good deal? https://www.costco.com/nintendo-swit...x2DU3z4w%3D%3D

It is more than I was expecting to spend, but with all that you guys are telling me, I need a case, a nice controller, a bigger SD card, screen protector. And when I buy all those, seems like this might save a little money? But I'm such a newb at this, there may be things I am missing.
That deal is $380 for those that can't see it...

In case you care that's a PowerA controller, it does not have the NFC reader (in case you wanted to use it for Amibos), and it does not have rumble. The Pro controller has those. The PowerA goes for about $38 at Amazon right now, so you are sitting at about $40 left in that total for the SD card and case.
Old 10-30-21, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say no.

For $80 you could get a pro controller on sale and a memory card and still have some left over for a screen protector or a case. You're not saving much and it's a much more inferior controller. If you're really trying to budget just get a wired controller for when you play multiplayer and get a pro controller or one of the other controllers mentioned down the road.
Old 10-30-21, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,717 Posts

It’s Black Friday in 27 days. I promise there will be better deals than that.
Old 10-30-21, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys.
Old 11-06-21, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

saw a couple of game sales and bought them (physical games): Mario Kart and a board game bundle (monopoly, risk, trivial pursuit). So now I am committed to getting a console soon! But at least when I get it, I know my daughter will have some games to play. I'm avoiding the digital games for now, until I have a console, because having the unopened physical games seems easier; I assume I can return if necessary, but I think I read there's no returns on the digital games, plus having the physical game means we can play something right out of the box.
Old 11-09-21, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang, you keep your receipt for Mario Kart? The deal you need to get is the bundle Nintendo is doing. It starts November 21-27 at most major retailers. It includes the console, Mario Kart and three months of Nintendo Online. They will also have several other games at $20 off.

$299 - Nintendo Switch Console w/ Mario Kart 8 Deluxe + 3-Month Nintendo Switch Online Individual Membership

$40
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Splatoon 2
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Astral Chain
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Old 11-09-21, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, buying the games first just ensured that there will be a bundle with that game!

Is there a link to details of that deal? And yeah, bought the game on Walmart.com so have a receipt.
Old 11-10-21, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really any details yet. Just be on the lookout starting early on the 21st. Likely Best Buy, Target, Walmart and Amazon will carry the bundle.
Old 11-10-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, will be on the lookout. Any idea if it will hit at midnight? Or later in the day? I'm nervous about supply so want to buy as soon as it goes live.

Can get an additional 5% back if it's available on amazon, target.com, or walmart.com, so hopefully will get that too.
Old 11-10-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Times are crazy so maybe I'm totally out of the loop, but I think that bundle should be in some supply (or at least not sold out in seconds). It's not the most recent OLED model and it's basically the same bundle they had last year (it does have the better battery IIRC though).
Old 11-10-21, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, will be on the lookout. Any idea if it will hit at midnight? Or later in the day? I'm nervous about supply so want to buy as soon as it goes live.

Can get an additional 5% back if it's available on amazon, target.com, or walmart.com, so hopefully will get that too.
Originally Posted by fujishig
Times are crazy so maybe I'm totally out of the loop, but I think that bundle should be in some supply (or at least not sold out in seconds). It's not the most recent OLED model and it's basically the same bundle they had last year (it does have the better battery IIRC though).
Hopefully that's the case. But with the chip shortage who knows.

Generally when promos hit Amazon is a 0300, Target and Best Buy 0100, and Walmart who the hell knows. EST. For the Metroid Dread release though they were kind of all over the place with Amazon being incredibly random and never releasing the Amiibos and only doing the special edition through Treasure Truck. So I don't doubt them trying the same thing if stock is limited. Walmart is trying to push their new Walmart+ membership with deals this year so I don't doubt they try to make it a timed exclusive. For me the best bet was Best Buy and Target.

I would say a good back up option would be your local B&M Game Stop if ordering online doesn't pan out.
Old 11-11-21, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info.

I just learned how I have to jump on deals, Mario + Rabbids just went on crazy sale at BB today (got the alert from Deku Deals, thanks to whichever of you told me to sign up there), but by the time I lazily got on my computer, it was gone. I learned that I need to act fast!
Old 11-12-21, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

10 bucks is a great price but it's regularly on sale for like 15 bucks in the eshop. Well worth it at that price especially, IMHO.
Old 11-16-21, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,117 Likes on 917 Posts

Is the bad battery still out there in the wild? It was an issue when I was buying almost a couple years ago and I assumed it’d all be gone by now.
Old 11-17-21, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not a bad battery per se, it's just that they upgraded the battery without changing the sku. But like I said I'm pretty sure that specific bundle is the newer one. As far as the older one still being out in the wild they have probably gone through all that stock by now, I would think.
Old 11-18-21, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,117 Likes on 917 Posts

It's not a bad battery per se, it's just that they upgraded the battery without changing the sku. But like I said I'm pretty sure that specific bundle is the newer one. As far as the older one still being out in the wild they have probably gone through all that stock by now, I would think.
Right, it was the “unimproved, shorter-life battery,” and I remember having to check the catalog number for an appended “-1” or something like that in order to get the newer one. I hope that’s not an issue anymore.
Old 11-21-21, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Deals are live now at various retailers. Best Buy also has a great deal on wired PowerA controllers for just $14. Pretty good stop gap for multiplayer until you can pick up a pro controller.
Old 11-21-21, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!

Just bought the bundle, will look at accessories soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by LurkerDan:
davidh777 (11-22-21), tanman (11-21-21)
Old 11-22-21, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
Deals are live now at various retailers. Best Buy also has a great deal on wired PowerA controllers for just $14. Pretty good stop gap for multiplayer until you can pick up a pro controller.
Is that PowerA a better controller than the one you linked early, this one:
Amazon Amazon

Also, I know this a dumb question, but I need two wired controllers, right?

Last edited by LurkerDan; 11-22-21 at 04:06 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.