Reload this Page >

Metroid Dread (Switch; 10/8/21)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Dread (Switch; 10/8/21)

Old 10-28-21, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts
Re: Metroid Dread (Switch; 10/8/21)

There are multiple times while playing Fusion that I just had to brute force my way through bosses. I never once had to brute force my way in Dread. You die a few times, you learn the patterns, and then you make it through easily.
Old 10-28-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Yeah; the bosses aren't "hard", you just have to learn their moves. Once you do, you can basically kill them easily without getting hit. Reminds me a bit of Cuphead in that regard. Can seem impossible on run 1. By run 5 or 6 it's a breeze.
Old 10-29-21, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Yeah; the bosses aren't "hard", you just have to learn their moves. Once you do, you can basically kill them easily without getting hit. Reminds me a bit of Cuphead in that regard. Can seem impossible on run 1. By run 5 or 6 it's a breeze.
Yeah, okay, tried it again and did did much better. If it's ever like $30, I'd pick it up, but I'm still not willing to pay $80 for it. I feel I've already been burned a few times when it comes to paying full price for Switch games, specifically first-party Nintendo games...I know it'll probably be well over a year before that would happen, and probably not even then, but oh well...I'm sure one of my buddies will buy it and I can just borrow it down the road...

And I should say, I do really like the visuals and the audio, never had an issue with those aspects...
Old 10-29-21, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 344 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That's what's weird about Dread to me. Metroid as a franchise has never been a "hardcore gamer" type of game to me. They've all been about exploring the world with an occasional boss battle.
Maybe not in terms of the overall video games available. But in terms of Nintendo franchises I think it's probably the most hardcore franchise they have. Definitely in terms of difficulty I would consider the franchise for more advanced players.
The following users liked this post:
Goonies85 (10-29-21)
Old 11-03-21, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Finished this one today. 14:56:54

So good. Oh man what a great game. Definitely a challenging game, but like others have said, it’s all about pattern recognition. From the first boss to the last, once you get a handle on their attack patterns, it’s entirely possible to beat them without taking damage at all.
The following 3 users liked this post by lopper:
Dan (11-03-21), steebo777 (11-04-21), The Questyen (11-03-21)
Old 11-04-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Finished this one today. 14:56:54

So good. Oh man what a great game. Definitely a challenging game, but like others have said, it’s all about pattern recognition. From the first boss to the last, once you get a handle on their attack patterns, it’s entirely possible to beat them without taking damage at all.
This 100%. Truly happy with the entire game, start to finish.
lopper (11-05-21)
Old 11-05-21, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started playing this Wednesday and am enjoying it a lot. I can kind of agree that there's not a ton going on for a $60 game, and there are a lot of similar games (with worse graphics of course) that are $10-20 games. I'll sell it for $30-40 and ultimately it will be just the right value.
Old 11-05-21, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by deadlax View Post
I started playing this Wednesday and am enjoying it a lot. I can kind of agree that there's not a ton going on for a $60 game, and there are a lot of similar games (with worse graphics of course) that are $10-20 games. I'll sell it for $30-40 and ultimately it will be just the right value.
I felt this way initially, but I thought the game opened up really nicely as maps and abilities unlocked. For me, this is a great example of the "quality over quantity" game everyone talks about wanting whenever another 60hr Ubisoft checklist comes out. I ended up going straight from Metroid into one a similar $10-20 game (Blasphemous), and I am missing/appreciating that extra $40 of polish right about now. lol
tanman (11-09-21)
Old 11-09-21, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
I felt this way initially, but I thought the game opened up really nicely as maps and abilities unlocked. For me, this is a great example of the "quality over quantity" game everyone talks about wanting whenever another 60hr Ubisoft checklist comes out. I ended up going straight from Metroid into one a similar $10-20 game (Blasphemous), and I am missing/appreciating that extra $40 of polish right about now. lol
This for sure. I felt like that when I first saw it announced because I was slightly worried it was just a "sequel" to Samus Returns. But now that I finally finished it with 100% it is by far worth $60. I'm trying not to be too excited but I think this might be right up there along with Super Metroid and Zero Mission for me. It is an amazingly crafted game and the numerous secrets and sequence breaks means that replay value is really through the roof on this one. It's already spawned a really robust community especially amongst the speed runners. There's so much here that this will be a game that will be around for a very very long time.
Old 11-09-21, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Beat it and got 100% of the collectibles. That last boss was really awesome and really sticks with you. It took me about an hour and around 20 tries to finally beat him. But it was such a satisfying win. Getting all the upgrades was pretty much just as much of, or even more of a challenge then the bosses though. I did have to kind of look up how to do two of the missile upgrades because there were things about the speed booster and shine spark that I didn't know you could do. I think the highlight of the game were the bosses. It was so perfectly balanced IMHO and none of them were unfair. They carefully crafted each boss encounter so that every attack seems too overwhelming but have their own counter to discover. Each time you die you get a little bit better then a little more until you can finally figure it out and beat them. I thought the story was great too.
Spoiler:
and I loved the return of the X parasites. For whatever reason I was not expecting them. Anyone else think another perspective on Samus is as the worst conservationist ever? Every planet she goes to these critter are just hopping around until she goes and blasts them all. Then she lets out the X parasites who immediately eradicate the entire planet of ZDR of their native fauna. Samus becoming a metroid herself was an interesting twist. I am a bit disappointed that none showed up in the game. Has to be the first Metroid game without any Metroids right? One story point I found interesting was the theory that Adam is really Laser Beak from the point Samus wakes up in the middle of ZDR. The very first encounter he calls her Lady like in Fusion but after that he always calls her Samus.

I really hope this game sells well and sends a clear message to Nintendo to pay more attention to the franchise. It's a bit sad to realize that Nintendo has made very few metroid games themselves. I mean they've really only made 5 metroid games right? OG, II, Super, Fusion and Zero? All the rest have been a third party. Luckily the main two, Retro Studios and Mercury Steam have really hit it out of the park. But they don't farm out Mario or Zelda games out to third party developers.

Last edited by tanman; 11-09-21 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-09-21, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At 02:17 I feel personally attacked.

Old 11-11-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

Started this a few days ago, it's fun but man is aiming squirrely for me with the pro controller (and I assume in general).

Fun game though, but I have to say a little easier than expected given all the talk.
Old 11-11-21, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where are you at in the game? It wasn't bad save for a few bosses and item upgrades and those were very challenging. And like most Metroid games sequence breaking and speed runs is where the real challenges are. It does take some skill and precision for aiming. That's one reason why I think I like this game a lot more then Samus Returns. The controls work a lot better on a pro controller then on the circle pad of the 3DS.
Old 11-12-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i finished and promptly sold it. grabbed most of the items but the shinespark challenges are too much for me. also the powerbomb had so many extra bombs and you really never needed it at all except in like 2 parts of the game and never more than a couple bombs.
Old 11-12-21, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 478 Likes on 341 Posts

Yeah, I'm struggling to muster up any energy to go back to this. Guess I'm the only one.

Give me a new Prime game.
Old 11-12-21, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm only a few hours in.

I think playing Returnal to death earlier this year has me similarly wanting a new Prime.
Old 11-15-21, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Ugh, I must be getting too old. I cannot beat Raven Beak. Gave up after a couple of days. Too frustrating. Wish I could turn down the difficulty so I could see the ending. Ah well.
Old 11-16-21, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Ugh, I must be getting too old. I cannot beat Raven Beak. Gave up after a couple of days. Too frustrating. Wish I could turn down the difficulty so I could see the ending. Ah well.
He was an absolute pain. I spent probably 2.5 hours trying to beat him, but you'll get there eventually. Just remember his pattern and you'll be good.
Old 11-16-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 223 Likes on 157 Posts

For me, it didn't have the exploration and sense of discovery that I like in my Metroidvanias. It looked and felt kinda samey throughout.
Michael Corvin (11-16-21)
Old 11-17-21, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

I probably need to start all over again, just got the morph ball. This game unintentionally suffered the “I went out of town for a while, then forgot what happened and got into new games since then” syndrome.
Old 11-18-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
I probably need to start all over again, just got the morph ball. This game unintentionally suffered the “I went out of town for a while, then forgot what happened and got into new games since then” syndrome.
I absolutely hate when that happens, and it happens to me a lot.
The following 2 users liked this post by steebo777:
Goonies85 (11-19-21), Noonan (11-18-21)
Old 11-22-21, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xander View Post

He's a pretty epic boss. You can look up all sorts of youtube videos to help you beat him. But to give you a hint it's essential you kill the big purple ball attack with either a missile storm attack or 4 missiles. It will replenish your health and missiles. Learn to recognize when you can counter his attacks as this is when you deal the most damage. On his third round when he starts that sun attack know that you can kill it with a power bomb for more health and missile refills.
Old 11-22-21, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
For me, it didn't have the exploration and sense of discovery that I like in my Metroidvanias. It looked and felt kinda samey throughout.
I couldn't disagree more. I thought they did an excellent job having varied environments. I especially loved the ancient Chozo temple segments and the underwater levels. There were so many details in the background that really lent to the sense of exploration and discovery.

This was a fun video detailing some of the background and other elements you usually wouldn't be able to see in this game.

Old 11-22-21, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Best way to counter that with this game is explore the map. What's nice is they detail what all the different doors are. So if you see a large part of the map unexplored behind a door you can open just head there and start poking around. You'll get back on track.