Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Returnal - From Housemarque Studio (PS5) - 4/30/21

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Returnal - From Housemarque Studio (PS5) - 4/30/21

Yeah, the update caused them to appear a lot more. Before avenging other scouts, Ether was really hard to come by. Now you get 4 plus whatever the creature drops when you avenge them. I wouldn't recommend looting them though. I spent 3 ether once for a crap consumable.
Old 05-21-21, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

• After having one of their Deceased Scout corpses scavenged, players will no longer receive a negative-effect parasite on startup.
So does this mean that if my corpse is scavenged by another player, I would have a negative effect parasite when I next played the game?
Old 05-21-21, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Sounds to me like you have it if they don't.
Old 05-21-21, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just beat boss 3. The pylon driver is a must for him. You can put constant damage over time on him and just focus on dodging.

Old 05-22-21, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Beat boss 4 this morning. As far as I'm concerned, the pylon driver is hands down the best weapon in the game, and is pretty much a necessity at this point. After the third area, it seems like there's an 80/20 split of corrupt to usable pickups (resins, keys, etc.). Pretty rare to find consumables as well.
Old 05-23-21, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lopper
Just beat boss 3. The pylon driver is a must for him. You can put constant damage over time on him and just focus on dodging.
How do you get it? i have been trying to beat the 3rd boss forever. I figured the pylon driver (among other weapons) was further into the game.

Now that ether is easier to come by, I have been using that ether deposit near the ship more but I don't believe it drops weapons.
Old 05-23-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
How do you get it? i have been trying to beat the 3rd boss forever. I figured the pylon driver (among other weapons) was further into the game.

Now that ether is easier to come by, I have been using that ether deposit near the ship more but I don't believe it drops weapons.
You know what, I just checked and it’s an early unlock for the digital deluxe version, so that’s how I’ve been able to use it this early in the game.

What weapon are you using?

I usually would try to go straight to the third boss, but ended up clearing out the first and second areas to level up my suit, weapons, and to stock up on items. My health bar was double in size by the time I made it to the end of level 3.
Old 05-23-21, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've tried the Hollowseeker with waves and voidbeam....voidbeam is freaking awesome on enemies but the 3rd boss maybe seems to far away? His health bar doesn't move when I use it.

I've also used the carbine. Those are my two favorite guns. The shotgun and lobber are too hard to aim/shoot while dodging and don't auto fire.

Old 05-24-21, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Saw the 3rd boss....this is going to take a while.

Oh, does anyone know why every so often I have to do the small scene where I crawl out of my ship rather than skipping straight to the new run? It happens once maybe every 10-15 runs.

Last edited by Noonan; 05-24-21 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-24-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I've tried the Hollowseeker with waves and voidbeam....voidbeam is freaking awesome on enemies but the 3rd boss maybe seems to far away? His health bar doesn't move when I use it.

I've also used the carbine. Those are my two favorite guns. The shotgun and lobber are too hard to aim/shoot while dodging and don't auto fire.
I think I'd have ended up using the Hollowseeker for this boss if the pylon diver were not available, with either the Tracker Swarm or Shieldbreaker alt fires. Regardless of weapon, I'd highly recommend clearing the first two areas to level up and gather consumables, then running/grappling past all enemies in the third area and going straight to the boss. That makes for a very long run though...

Originally Posted by Noonan
Saw the 3rd boss....this is going to take a while.

Oh, does anyone know why every so often I have to do the small scene where I crawl out of my ship rather than skipping straight to the new run? It happens once maybe every 10-15 runs.
I'm not sure why it does that. Maybe to remind you that those computer terminals exist where you can check your stats?

Is there really any benefit to going through the house aside from bits of story? I've gone in maybe twice but I don't bother with it anymore -- stopping for that long kills my momentum.
Old 05-24-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't gone back into the house since the first run when you discover it. Does more open up in there?

How do you deal with the flying things in biome 3? Between their guided missiles, expanding ring attack, and kamikaze dives I can't find a method to deal with them without getting hit at least once or twice.

Last edited by Noonan; 05-24-21 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-24-21, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't gone back into the house since the first run when you discover it. Does more open up in there?

How do you deal with the flying things in biome 3? Between their guided missiles, expanding ring attack, and kamikaze dives I can't find a method to deal with them without getting hit at least once or twice.
Theres some different narrative elements in the house but from what I’ve seen that’s about it. Maybe there’s more to it but I don’t know.

As far as the flying things in three - run away. You can literally grapple/run/dash past everything leading up to the bridge. Don’t bother with them at all.
Old 05-24-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's what I've been doing for the most part since I opened up the bridge. I'm going to have to find time to do some real runs with going through 1 and 2 to build up my character rather than dashing to biome 3 and to the boss as fast as I can with few to no upgrades. I wish 3 was a bit more forgiving so I could spend time exploring the area. Some of the rooms you run across are damn near impossible even with a good gun.
Old 05-24-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, those Kamikaze TIE fighters are nuts. I usually find myself hiding behind pillars and running/grappling for my life.

Speaking of waking up in the ship, I just checked the log and I have died 117 times and I still can't get past the 3rd boss. A lot of the stuff people say is OP, I don't have and never see, such as the parasite that regenerates health on kills or the void turret that deploys and continually fires at the boss while you dodge.
Old 05-24-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen a parasite that regens health on melee kills but its side effect is you can't pick up health items, so not really worth it.
Old 05-24-21, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...not really worth it.
Parasites summed up nicely.
Old 05-24-21, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some are situationally useful. IIRC I got one that increased my defense but made me took damage if I used a key. That one was good for a run going straight to a boss. But yeah, some of the malfunctions they give make them a non-starter. Increases your max health but then you can't pick up new weapons!
Old 05-25-21, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i got a suit thing once that regenerated health each time you picked up or removed a parasite. That was nice but most of these are absolutely no help against the bosses.

I'm now at 138 deaths and still haven't gotten the third boss past his second health bar. I may walk away for a while. I had a good run yesterday with a nice gun, almost 2x health bar, astronaut figurine and large/small silphium vials to heal me.
On my way to the boss I encountered a room with 7 or 8 tie fighters, 4 of the ground crawlers that explode when you get near them and several of the imperial probe droids. Even trying to run away the homing missiles from all the tie fighters took care of business before I got to the boss. I don't encounter that room configuration too often but when you do its game over even if you survive as you've wasted all your "boss" resources.
Old 05-25-21, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I looked last night and I'm at 119 deaths. I went back into the house and it definitely had more content. Things had moved and there was some new dialogue. No idea how often you should go there though; maybe after you clear a biome? It also said I unlocked a new item when it was done but it didn't tell me what it was.

I had a pretty lucky run last night and made it to the 3rd boss with full health, a large potion, and an astronaut. Down side was that I was using a pretty mediocre pistol for a weapon. Got him down to maybe 20% left of his 2nd bar.
Old 05-25-21, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

117 deaths for me so far. I unlocked a weapon in biome 5 that I have no idea what exactly it does. Slow fire rate and low damage. I just haven't figured out the gimmick yet.

Just had a run where I picked something up that put a malfunction on me that prevented me from picking up any new weapons until I'd killed 4 enemies simultaneously. I don't know how I would've ever satisfied that requirement. I also went into the house again and at the end it said that I unlocked a new item. No idea what it is.
Old 05-25-21, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The money enemies are probably a good one to use if you ever have to kill 4 at once. they tend to bunch up and a couple melee attacks take them out.
Old 05-25-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those, or some flying mobs with the electrocution alt fire, would've probably worked pretty well. Didn't live long enough to find out, but maybe next time...

I found that new gun again, and I think I understand what it does. I haven't leveled it up at all, but out of the gate it looks like it needs pretty close range encounters to be effective. Not a huge fan but we'll see what the unlocks look like.
Old 05-27-21, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Made it to the 6th, and final (?), biome yesterday. Only completed one run through it but it's really neat environment.

Spoilers/tip for the 5th area:
Spoiler:
To complete this area you have to get three keys that unlock the door to your next permanent upgrade, which you need to progress to the next area. Each key is located at the end of separate paths. One of these paths leads to a challenge room that has to be completed to get the key. Three waves of increasingly difficult enemies. It's a really difficult room. There is a respawn machine just outside of this area -- don't use it before entering the challenge room. It's a waste of ether. The game resets your room progress when you respawn, so when you reenter you're always starting from wave one without any consumables you already used.

Upgrade your suit and restock with health consumables and hopefully a spaceman in area 4, and complete this room first. Once it's complete, use the respawn machine before continuing down the other two paths, which each lead to a mini-boss you have to kill to get the keys.

The shotgun with narrow spread and slug mods works really well for most of this biome, but the pylon driver was an absolute necessity in that challenge room. I hope it's available for use by everyone by that point.
Old 05-27-21, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really hoping I can get through the 3rd boss this weekend. Haven't had a chance to put in more runs since Sunday. Definitely one of the more challenging games I've played.
Old 05-27-21, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

So, this game worth the $70 pricetag? It seems right up my alley but I haven't been overly impressed with previous Housemarque titles.

...I mean, I still don't have a PS5 but that's only a matter of time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.