Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Liking the game, but SUPER frustrated that only the island representative can progress the island forward. Set my wife up first not realizing that, and I play WAAAAAY more than she does. So I've ended up mailing her materials and logging on as her a bunch, just to do those tasks. It really sucks. Too far in to reset the island now.
Old 04-01-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I don't usually bother with turnips, but they are selling for 120 on my island today if anyone needs to sell.
Old 04-01-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Just make sure you're hitting your rocks (with a shovel) every single day. Early on there are a couple of bottlenecks, one related to bells (paying off that loan) and another related to iron, both of which you can get from rocks. Just pray your rocks aren't all inaccessible in the beginning...

In fact every day (from very early) you should:
1) hit every rock with a shovel, try to get at least 7 hits. You can get 8 I think only if you have a tree or something right behind you.
2) Find all your fossils. Usually three but I've gotten six before (some may be inaccessible early)
3) Log into the nook points thing at the atm for bonus points
4) Do the bonus nook points chores if possible
5) Find a bottle on the beach for a DIY recipe
6) Talk to neighbors, find special visitors, fish and catch bugs and sell the excess for bells, pop balloons, shake trees(at least one furniture a day), shake fruit trees so new fruit grows,chop trees for wood, etc.
Ok, I'm doing all of this daily, so I'm on the right track.
Old 04-02-20, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I feel dumb. I've been hitting rocks with the axe and only thought you could get three hits in.
Old 04-02-20, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I always use the axe to hit rocks and get 8 hits in. It doesn't have to be the shovel.
Old 04-02-20, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Seems like I haven't once gotten anything past three hits. I have hit them more but nothing.
Old 04-02-20, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

You have to be fast. get right up next to it, hit it, move a little bit forward, hit again, repeat. That's why you can get 8 mainly only if you have a tree right behind you so you can just keep hitting.

Also, make sure there are no flowers, weeds, fruits, etc in the 8 spaces around the rock
Old 04-02-20, 08:52 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Yeah. Stand on an angle from the stone/rock, and make sure there's a tree or hole above and beside you, then whack the rock as quickly as you can. If you're slow, at all, you'll get less stuff, but if you're fast, you'll always get 8. The hole or tree will stop your character from sliding backwards/sideways at all.

The following users liked this post:
Wolf359 (04-02-20)
Old 04-02-20, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I found a .gif that shows the rock/hole method. Once you can build fence in the game some people have put fencing at the corner (instead of digging holes everyday).

The following users liked this post:
Dan (04-02-20)
Old 04-02-20, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I had to have popped at least 50 balloons last night as well as fished out 30-40 eggs. It was crazy. At one point I had two balloons almost neck and neck flying across the screen.

My one biggest complaint is that I wish you could rotate the camera 360 degrees. Sometimes I am behind something and can't see exactly what is there or going on.
Old 04-02-20, 10:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison
I found a .gif that shows the rock/hole method. Once you can build fence in the game some people have put fencing at the corner (instead of digging holes everyday).
much better than my half-assed drawing.
Old 04-02-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I had to have popped at least 50 balloons last night as well as fished out 30-40 eggs. It was crazy. At one point I had two balloons almost neck and neck flying across the screen.

My one biggest complaint is that I wish you could rotate the camera 360 degrees. Sometimes I am behind something and can't see exactly what is there or going on.
This is also why you need to think carefully where you put houses and buildings (you can move them eventually though). For instance, I wouldn't block the view of a river by putting houses right in front.
Old 04-02-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is also why you need to think carefully where you put houses and buildings (you can move them eventually though). For instance, I wouldn't block the view of a river by putting houses right in front.
I've been wondering about this but figured I'm so far out from being able to do it that I haven't really worried about it yet. My buildings are not blocking anything, but they're a little more haphazard than I'd like them to be. Need my residents on one side of the island, commerce on the other.
Old 04-02-20, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I've been wondering about this but figured I'm so far out from being able to do it that I haven't really worried about it yet. My buildings are not blocking anything, but they're a little more haphazard than I'd like them to be. Need my residents on one side of the island, commerce on the other.
I am just waiting to unlock some of the more advanced landscaping features. I hope it's not all money based because these bridges and inclines are expensive. I don't want to time travel for this though.
Old 04-02-20, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts

Most of you probably already know, but since I recently just planted new fruit, it's new to me..

Non-native island fruit sell at 5x native fruit (500 bells each vs 100 bells each). Except for coconuts, those are always 250.

Has anyone found a need or a reason for visiting Harv's Island yet?
Old 04-02-20, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I am just waiting to unlock some of the more advanced landscaping features. I hope it's not all money based because these bridges and inclines are expensive. I don't want to time travel for this though.
I've seen people on social media showing off the teraforming feature. Is it even possible to progress that far in the game since release without time traveling? This is my first AC so I'm by no means a purist, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?
Old 04-02-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Most of you probably already know, but since I recently just planted new fruit, it's new to me..

Non-native island fruit sell at 5x native fruit (500 bells each vs 100 bells each). Except for coconuts, those are always 250.

Has anyone found a need or a reason for visiting Harv's Island yet?
No purpose for Harv's that I have found.

I thought I remember that there is usually one fruit that you can sell for more than 500 bells, but I don't know if that's in this game. I haven't been able to get apples to sell on my island to see if there is one unique fruit to your island for higher money. Maybe I just imagined that in prior games.

I've seen people on social media showing off the teraforming feature. Is it even possible to progress that far in the game since release without time traveling? This is my first AC so I'm by no means a purist, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?
Since I'm trying to avoid some spoilers, I'm not sure if it is possible without time traveling, but I HIGHLY doubt it. There are multiple ways to play the game, time traveling being one of them, but I don't subscribe to that method.
Old 04-02-20, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

My daughter got some new custom earrings yesterday

Old 04-02-20, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's great that social media has gotten this game alot of attention that it wouldn't normally get. My issue is that a lot of what is being posted is kind of defeating the purpose of Animal Crossing. You're supposed to be playing it regularly for a long time each day doing a little bit. You're not supposed to have your town be amazing and exactly how you want it a week after the game comes out. I can see using time travelling if there is a special event that you miss for whatever reason but when I see people time traveling just so they can have their museum completely full already it's like why are you even playing the game.
Old 04-02-20, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Edison
I don't even do that much. I just dig a hole directly behind me and even if I have to move closer once I still get 8 every time with ease.
Old 04-02-20, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
It's great that social media has gotten this game alot of attention that it wouldn't normally get. My issue is that a lot of what is being posted is kind of defeating the purpose of Animal Crossing. You're supposed to be playing it regularly for a long time each day doing a little bit. You're not supposed to have your town be amazing and exactly how you want it a week after the game comes out. I can see using time travelling if there is a special event that you miss for whatever reason but when I see people time traveling just so they can have their museum completely full already it's like why are you even playing the game.
It's like people using cheat codes to beat games that are supposed to have some level of difficulty, then explaining that the game is too short. I don't even go on social media for this game.

Also I apologize if anything I posted before is a spoiler, I try not to and I'm not exactly speed running through so it's not like I'm super far ahead. It's something you should experience for yourself for sure.
Old 04-03-20, 12:26 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

There's a guy on YouTube that we follow that is playing and he has sworn that he is not going to time jump at all and so far he's made good on that promise...

But he plays AC:NH for 8-14 hours a day, grinding away at bells and miles, and maximizing his time island-hopping.

He's two weeks into the game and barely got the terraforming permits. So it is possible to have that ability normally, but only if you play IT A TON!
Old 04-03-20, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh one other tip.

If you want to look behind a house (for a fossil or whatever) go behind it and then hit up on the right stick to look up (or down, I forget which). The building temporarily disappears.

Also, if you want to prolong the longevity of your tools you can use them for a while and then "modify" them and they should last longer. Did I mention how much I hate this BOTW style item durability?

Last edited by fujishig; 04-03-20 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish you could lock that view for stuff like balloon finding and shooting stars, but as soon as you move it swings back.
Old 04-03-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Did I mention how much I hate this BOTW style item durability?
That is my one complaint with the game, it’s pretty annoying.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.