DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Xbox Series X - 11/10/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/649337-xbox-series-x-11-10-20-a.html)

Rob V 05-07-20 02:02 PM

re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

I'm not impressed with this reveal. Neither the games or the graphics are very inspiring, IMO.

edit: Ok, Yakuza: Like a Dragon looks cool

Coral 05-07-20 02:17 PM

It's still early days and this was just the first snippet. More to come for sure.

I'm anxious for Flight Simulator 2020. That will be ground-breaking.

Barth 05-07-20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13737376)
edit: Ok, Yakuza: Like a Dragon looks cool

I love the Yakuza series, played them all but the last collection that just released. I was excited to see a while back a new one was coming for next generation. However, they changed the combat to turn based and my interest has simmered some.

I thought the presentation was pretty underwhelming but it’s hard to fairly judge a barely 720p stream from YouTube. I think I’m more interested in seeing a presentation on how load times and quick switching between games work anyway.

stingermck 05-08-20 07:43 AM

Yeah I wasnt impressed with anything I saw, especially graphics wise. Just surprised to see Yakuza.

K&AJones 05-08-20 08:30 AM

Being that I'm getting the PS5, I'll come to MS and XBox defense on the complaining and griping about the lackluster and not-impressed show.....

First of all, the Coronavirus has wrecked havoc and caused issues all over including the Gaming World with no-one left untouched....
Second, people are acting....and expecting....a display as if Xbox Series X has been out a few years along with games already fully completed and 100% done....again keep in mind any and everyone has had to deal with the Coronavirus....

At this point I salute MS for at least bringing something along with the Studios who are not exactly working under normal conditions. There's a a lot going on behind "The Curtains" we as players and consumers probably have no idea about in terms of what they're having to deal with. I for one have seen first hand on what others all over are having to change their work environments and lifestyles so lets cut them a bit of slack here and be thankful they are trying.

...other than XBox has some pretty interesting games in the works to which I was impressed...

dsa_shea 05-08-20 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13737365)
Most are supposed to be 120fps. Cool, except no real monitors or TV’s can do that yet.

"We're gonna give you something that you can't even take advantage of." I think 120fps would start to look a bit unnatural like motion smoothing or whatever it is called.

Noonan 05-08-20 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13737866)
"We're gonna give you something that you can't even take advantage of." I think 120fps would start to look a bit unnatural like motion smoothing or whatever it is called.

It doesn't. My PC/monitor can run most games at 144fps at 1440p. FPS or racing games that would take advantage of it look so much better. Doesn't give the motion smoothing TV effect at all. Slower games like RPGs don't look much different at high fps.

Adam Tyner 05-08-20 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13737365)
Most are supposed to be 120fps. Cool, except no real monitors or TV’s can do that yet.

It depends. My OLED from 2017 can do 120hz, but in 1080p only (and there were issues with HDR at that frame rate; not sure if that’s still the case). I believe that LG’s 2019 and 2020 OLEDs can do 4K/HDR/120hz, but I think you’d have to plug the console directly into the TV as I’m not sure any AVRs support that yet.

E Unit 05-08-20 10:19 AM

They don’t. I’m a die-hard Denon fan and there’s speculation they’ll have 120fps in their 2021 models. But talk about full proofing this system. I’m sure 120 will be easily obtainable in the next 2-4 years.

dsa_shea 05-08-20 10:27 AM

That's good to hear. Being a strictly console gamer, I was just imagining what a frame rate that is 4x what we are used to would look like.

Adam Tyner 05-08-20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13737906)
They don’t. I’m a die-hard Denon fan and there’s speculation they’ll have 120fps in their 2021 models. But talk about full proofing this system. I’m sure 120 will be easily obtainable in the next 2-4 years.

Yeah, I'm a Marantz guy at the moment but will probably switch to Denon when they have an HDMI 2.1+, 13ch AVR that isn't eye-wateringly expensive. I loved my little porthole display at first, but after my in-laws bought a Denon, I realized how much I missed being able to...y'know, see things.

Dramallama 05-14-20 06:52 PM

I am looking at pre ordering the series X on amazon once that day arrives. I want to start buying amazon gift cards so I’ll have it paid off by then. Would that be a good way to go. There shouldn’t be an issue with amazon and using the gift cards to buy the system right?

Adam Tyner 05-14-20 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dramallama (Post 13741471)
There shouldn’t be an issue with amazon and using the gift cards to buy the system right?

You're good to go. I'm doing something similar, except I've just been hoarding GCs that people have been giving me for the past couple of years, plus monthly $3-$5 certs from Verizon Up and Microsoft Rewards.

Deftones 05-25-20 09:21 AM

Deftones 05-28-20 03:06 PM

Series X can increase frame rate and add HDR to older games: https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/28/2...ort-framerates

milo bloom 05-28-20 10:11 PM

I guess it’s not too surprising that tech would finally make this kind of leap that it can handle previous generations of games this well. Interesting that Microsoft would put this much resources into it.

Will Sony try the same?

Better question: will we finally get that Sega Neptune?

maxfisher 05-29-20 09:28 AM

I'm sure I'll eventually end up with a PS5 as well, but assuming both make their schedule, I'll be getting the Series X at launch. I've been really impressed with the value of Ultimate Game Pass since jumping on board with it last fall. I wish I'd maxed it out as many others did, but I have been taking advantage whenever Best Buy does a buy 3 months, get 3 months free deal of the day and am now paid up through the end of 2021 at $7.50/month. Having my GCU membership finally run out has made me a little more discriminating on what I'll buy and knowing I've already paid for access to all first party Xbox titles (and hopefully a decent selection of third party games) makes it an easy decision to get the Series X first.

Adam Tyner 06-08-20 10:17 PM

Replying to a post in the PS5 thread:

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13755122)
Since Microsoft guaranteed that all new games (first party at least) will play on the Xbox One means I can play the next Halo and Hellblade games without buying a new Xbox.

Originally Posted by atrium (Post 13755124)
Wow I hadn't been paying attention, so I didn't hear about this. What makes them think this is a good strategy?

There are some definite question marks about this and if/how next-gen games will be compromised to play on 7 year old hardware too, but I get the general strategy. Microsoft just wants you in the Xbox ecosystem. If you're playing on a PC, Xbox One, XB1S, XB1X, Xbox Series X, phone/tablet, or, hell, maybe even on your Nintendo Switch if they add xCloud support, it doesn't really matter: the goal is to get you subscribing to Game Pass and/or xCloud, not strictly to move a whole bunch of hardware. There'll come a point where the base XB1 would have to get cutoff (or, at least, make you move to streaming via xCloud), but it's an interesting way to handle the transitioning period between gens.

It's a gamble for sure, but I don't think it's a poorly-founded one.

atrium 06-08-20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13755135)
Replying to a post in the PS5 thread:

There are some definite question marks about this and if/how next-gen games will be compromised to play on 7 year old hardware too, but I get the general strategy. Microsoft just wants you in the Xbox ecosystem. If you're playing on a PC, Xbox One, XB1S, XB1X, Xbox Series X, phone/tablet, or, hell, maybe even on your Nintendo Switch if they add xCloud support, it doesn't really matter: the goal is to get you subscribing to Game Pass and/or xCloud, not strictly to move a whole bunch of hardware. There'll come a point where the base XB1 would have to get cutoff (or, at least, make you move to streaming via xCloud), but it's an interesting way to handle the transitioning period between gens.

It's a gamble for sure, but I don't think it's a poorly-founded one.

It's an interesting idea for sure. I didn't consider it from the subscription model angle, but that makes a lot more sense now that you pointed it out

E Unit 06-10-20 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13738080)
Yeah, I'm a Marantz guy at the moment but will probably switch to Denon when they have an HDMI 2.1+, 13ch AVR that isn't eye-wateringly expensive. I loved my little porthole display at first, but after my in-laws bought a Denon, I realized how much I missed being able to...y'know, see things.

Sidebar, but Denon announced their 2020 models. Top end is the Denon AVR-X6700H for $2499. Specs include 2.1 HDMI, 13.2 channels, includes IMAX Enhanced, DTX:Pro, and Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.

Adam Tyner 06-10-20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13755836)
Sidebar, but Denon announced their 2020 models. Top end is the Denon AVR-X6700H for $2499. Specs include 2.1 HDMI, 13.2 channels, includes IMAX Enhanced, DTX:Pro, and Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.

It's tempting! I would need a separate amp to take advantage of all 13 channels, and I saw some chatter earlier that there's only one HDMI 2.1 port (not sure if that's accurate). My plan is to upgrade in 2022 or 2023 to get at least five years out of my current TV/AVR, but I don't know if I have that much self-control.

E Unit 06-10-20 12:31 PM

Same here, I want to wait it out 2-3 years, but the price is way better than I thought. Here's the Denon page. Looks like all HDMI ports are HDMI 2.1.

https://usa.denon.com/en-us/shop/rec...rx6700h?varId=

Spiderbite 06-10-20 02:51 PM

Not to further derail this thread but I have the Denon AVR-4500H and just recently moved it up to 11.2 aka 7.2.4 and it is badass. You have to have a separate amp for two of the height speakers but it works great and sounds fantastic. I don't where the hell I would put two more speakers. :lol:

As far as my Xbox One goes...it functions as my UHD, Dolby Atmos, and Rock Band 4 machine. If I could make the damn thing Blu-ray region free, it would be perfection.

I wonder what is going to happen to Rock Band? I know they aren't making the instruments anymore but they still release new DLC weekly and I think it still has a decent following. I still enjoying playing it every couple of weeks for stress relief and it is always a massive hit at the parties we throw. Plus...I have some much dough tied into DLC songs. If it doesn't move to the next platform, I may have my Xbox One forever. I held onto my 360 because of RB for the same reason until RB4 came out. (I still miss my Beatles RB though. :()

Since I don't play a ton of new games anymore (I average a new game played probably once every two to three months) I don't see me in any hurry to pick this up. Unless Rock Band 5 comes to i or they make it Region Free for Blu-rays, it may be awhile for me. My son's Xbox is basically a Destiny 2 machine so I doubt he will be in any hurry to upgrade either until a new Destiny comes out.

I enjoy my PS4 for their exclusives, the VR set and watching 3D movies on it but can't see me nabbing a PS5 anytime soon either. Hell, I just got the PS5 only a year and a half ago and it collected dust for almost a year of that time.

I know I am not the target audience for this stuff anymore but I hope they come out with something to tempt me.

Adam Tyner 06-10-20 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 13755962)
I wonder what is going to happen to Rock Band?

I don’t know anything for sure, but MS did say that existing controllers would work on the new systems, so if that extends to instrument controllers, we should be good to go. Well, I say “we” even though I locked myself into Rock Band on the PS ecosystem, but you know what I mean.

E Unit 06-10-20 05:41 PM

I’ve kept my PS3 alive solely due to Rock Band and Guitar Hero. All of those get play from my family even after all these years.

Dolby Atmos rocks! :rock::rimshot::rock2: