Reload this Page >

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Old 12-13-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Well for all the bashing i have done for this game i have still pumped 45 hours into it over the last few weeks since i got it as a freebie.

Is it worth $15.99???? Yes, it is. Is it worth full price. No.

My opinion has changed somewhat with this game, and its all due to having a longer period to play it. During the Beta stages i only played for a handful of hours on each and there were simply too many issues to make any play enjoyable. I am not sure which updates have resolved which issues so far, but some of the small annoying one (like character not stopping on a dime) have been addressed. Maybe not perfect, but still way better than during Beta play. I have mentioned it before, but the more i play this game the more it plays like a Ghost Recon sequel to an Assassins Creed game. Now personally i have loved the last few Assassins Creed games, so maybe thats why the longer i have played the more i have begun being a little forgivi9ng with my experience with Breakpoint. Some examples are:

- The Bivoucs are basically the same things as the View Towers, except they dont open up sections of the map.
- Looting is the same where you collect armor, weapons. Also collecting plants, killing animals and crafting almost identical.
- Basic hierarchy of enemies is in the same vein.
- The Behemoths are basically the mythical creatures from AC: Odyssey even down to each point they exist having Skill points to be gained.
- Speaking of skills, Skill tree is very similar as well.
- Leveling of weapons and armor is also the same.

A big problem for the game is the storyline and also the lack of life in the world. Whereas the Assassins Creed worlds, and even Wildlands, felt lived in and had people, this one is largely empty. Fine its due in no small part to the storyline, but that seems like a "Get out of jail" excuse by the developers for them to be lazy and not have to add them in. A lot of people have been complaining about the lack of AI team mates, and this i would like as an option (like with Wildlands), but its not game breaking. The always online is a far bigger issue. Quite a few times i have been in the middle of clearing out a base only for the connection to Ubisoft servers to be lost, goes back to main menu and you lose all progress. Thats game breaking, and i can see why a lot of people have given up on the game due to it. The leveling of weapons and armor bothers a lot of people, but as i said, its basically Assassins Creed, so i am used to that and can deal with it. There is actually an option in the menus where you can select whatever clothing you want your character to wear, and it will not change from that, even if you choose higher leveled different clothing or armor. That helps a great deal as you can customize your character to look however you want and still be able to level up clothing and armor without your character look changing. I get the feeling many miss that in the menus.

I have not even stepped into Multiplayer yet (probably because my PSPlus subscription ended last month and i am waiting to January to resubscribe as the games for December were disappointing), so can't tell you anything, but from what i heard its a real mixed bag. I believe there is a January update coming and curious to see what that does. I believe that one of the updates so far has helped the AI to some extent. Still not great, but not as bad as the Beta.
Old 12-13-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Apparently I bought this last night in some sort of fugue state because I woke up this morning to a text from Best Buy saying my order is ready to ship but I couldn’t remember ordering anything at all.

For this price I have no problem picking this up despite the mostly tepid to negative sentiment. I know I won’t get around to actually playing it for at least a month, probably longer, so maybe they’ll release their game changing update by then. If they haven’t, I’m sure I’ll still get my $15 worth of enjoyment out of it.
Old 12-13-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts

Yeah, I'm seeing $12.79 with GCU and am thinking about giving it a shot (but I would likely have to buy a copy of it for my best friend as well as he's currently jobless).
Old 12-13-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I bought it today for 13 and change.
Old 01-05-20, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This game is terrible with graphics not completely loading, pop ups and them skipping the actual dialogue where NPCs give you important information. It is really a lazy piece of work. Besides all of that, I have still put 20 hours into it during the past week. Glutton for punishment.
Old 01-05-20, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
This game is terrible with graphics not completely loading, pop ups and them skipping the actual dialogue where NPCs give you important information. It is really a lazy piece of work. Besides all of that, I have still put 20 hours into it during the past week. Glutton for punishment.

What are you playing it on and have you updated the game? i have actually had very few actual glitches since getting the game and installing updates. It's no where near the mess it was in Beta, but it is still a long way off where it needed to be. The running and gunning is actually gonna it's like Wildlands, and I dont mind not having a team.
The following users liked this post:
Music (01-05-20)
Old 01-05-20, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Playing it on a Pro.
Old 01-23-20, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i have literally done everything in this game now. Every loot box looted, missions done (except daily stuff) locations visited etc. The game isn't as bad as when it was in Beta, however i decided to boot Wildlands back up again after a while not playing and was curious to see if Breakpoint outshines it in any respect. Its clearly evident how much better Wildlands is as a game in almost every respect right off the bat. The graphics (and lighting system), vehicles, controls, hud, map design, npcs, sound and effects, literally everything. Breakpoint made so many backward mistakes by changing things that already worked perfectly and slowing the game down. The best thing they could do is take the game back to design and do a Breakpoint 2.0 for the next gen and correct every stupid error.
Old 01-23-20, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Its clearly evident how much better Wildlands is as a game in almost every respect right off the bat. The graphics (and lighting system), vehicles, controls, hud, map design, npcs, sound and effects, literally everything. Breakpoint made so many backward mistakes by changing things that already worked perfectly and slowing the game down. The best thing they could do is take the game back to design and do a Breakpoint 2.0 for the next gen and correct every stupid error.
Couldn't agree more. I've been finishing up Wildlands since deleting Breakpoint and would gladly pay for Wildlands DLC, because it's infinitely superior to Breakpoint in all those ways.
Old 01-24-20, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for the input James. I look at at Breakpoint much like I did with Fallout 76...so much hype, so much potential....yet a utter disaster, disappointment, bugs, failures, lackluster, downgraded from previous game and above all else; divided the player base.

....yet I still see the core, base and foundation still valuable. Funny but same was with Fallout 76...many said let it ride it's course and just make a Fallout 76 2.0. Thankfully yet sadly...I didn't bite on the so-called tempting deals. Even the two who stayed with the game after I cancelled my pre-order have moved on. I still like to finish the Predator and even one day do Fallen Ghosts....but I've got a few games going on and everyone is all over...Destiny, Borderlands, Warframe, Fortnight.....heck I'd still like to get back into The Division 2....maybe if anything, Ubisoft go back to the actual roots of Ghost Recon for the Next Gen Consoles....
Old 01-29-20, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LMAO!!!!!!

So 24 hours after the update and the first day of the Terminator DLC and cannot connect to Ubisoft servers. Fucking pathetic. Any game in the future that requires always online in order to play will not be getting bought by me. One of the stupidest decisions for any games company to make. Even though I dont hate on this game as much as I did at first, I am happy to see it die a horrible death and Ubisoft to account for massive losses. Fuck that company.
Old 01-29-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LMAO!!!!!!

So 24 hours after the update and the first day of the Terminator DLC and cannot connect to Ubisoft servers. Fucking pathetic. Any game in the future that requires always online in order to play will not be getting bought by me. One of the stupidest decisions for any games company to make. Even though I dont hate on this game as much as I did at first, I am happy to see it die a horrible death and Ubisoft to account for massive losses. Fuck that company.
Old 01-30-20, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOL. Well after a couple of hours i managed to get on. Was it worth the wait? Probably not. The Terminators added into the game seem fine and do add something. I spent about an hour playing and worked up to Battle Tier 10 by that time, i only store 250+ weapons and armor now, so anything else gets sold or taken apart, so have a continual high revenue of cash so i could buy all the new DLC off the bat. As for the update, well the night vision still seems horrible, but maybe thats because i used it during the day. When i play it again i will try it at night. The AI does seem slightly better, but it was impossible for it be worse. I do notice they fixed a couple of missing items that wouldnt appear on the Craft menu. Other than that...i see little change. The new DLC seems to have new camps around the map and the first big one i got to made my FPS drop dramatically. It was stuttering like hell using the drone. The Terminator music they use is an uninspired cover of one of the tracks. The new Terminator weapons seem to be rather dull as well. Some of the new character skins are fine i guess, but how that improves the overall game is anyones guess. I didnt try base jumping but will do today as that mechanic was perfect in Wildlands. In Breakpoint 99% of the time it resulted in you falling off a cliff to your death. I am 99% sure it will still be broken.

Overall, not impressed, and this game is still very far from being rescued.
Old 01-30-20, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sort of read over the Ubisoft GR: Breakpoint Forum and nothing has much changed....most are questioning adding Terminator to the story, rewards, stuff not working, etc... Still sad to see and hear about Breakpoint as it really could've been a great game.....but it could be $5.00 and wouldn't get it....Doom Eternal is coming shortly and The Last of Us Pt 2 in May is enough....why waste time
Old 01-30-20, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

LOL. Well after a couple of hours i managed to get on. Was it worth the wait? Probably not. The Terminators added into the game seem fine and do add something. I spent about an hour playing and worked up to Battle Tier 10 by that time, i only store 250+ weapons and armor now, so anything else gets sold or taken apart, so have a continual high revenue of cash so i could buy all the new DLC off the bat. As for the update, well the night vision still seems horrible, but maybe thats because i used it during the day. When i play it again i will try it at night. The AI does seem slightly better, but it was impossible for it be worse. I do notice they fixed a couple of missing items that wouldnt appear on the Craft menu. Other than that...i see little change. The new DLC seems to have new camps around the map and the first big one i got to made my FPS drop dramatically. It was stuttering like hell using the drone. The Terminator music they use is an uninspired cover of one of the tracks. The new Terminator weapons seem to be rather dull as well. Some of the new character skins are fine i guess, but how that improves the overall game is anyones guess. I didnt try base jumping but will do today as that mechanic was perfect in Wildlands. In Breakpoint 99% of the time it resulted in you falling off a cliff to your death. I am 99% sure it will still be broken.

Overall, not impressed, and this game is still very far from being rescued.
I'm still surprised you put yourself thru the torture of this game lol
Old 01-30-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lmao!!! I know. I guess it's because deep down somewhere in this game are the fundamentals of a respectable follow up to Wildlands. I recall that game needed a great deal of TLC to get it to the great experience it finally became, so I guess I am giving them the chance to repeat that feat. In the meantime I am curious to the DLC and the updates to see how much effort they are putting in. Reading the update list when it was posted I thought most of it referred to Mercenary mode and very few items referring to major issues pointed out by players.

But you are right to question my time on it. Hell I question my time on it often. Lol
Old 01-31-20, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lmao!!! I know. I guess it's because deep down somewhere in this game are the fundamentals of a respectable follow up to Wildlands. I recall that game needed a great deal of TLC to get it to the great experience it finally became, so I guess I am giving them the chance to repeat that feat. In the meantime I am curious to the DLC and the updates to see how much effort they are putting in. Reading the update list when it was posted I thought most of it referred to Mercenary mode and very few items referring to major issues pointed out by players.

But you are right to question my time on it. Hell I question my time on it often. Lol
James...I think you spoke for countless 1000's of others who have felt the same way since the Beta was played....well said....
Old 02-05-20, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well here i am, back again. I played through the Terminator DLC (i think yesterday was the last day) and it wasn't too bad. Certainly added a little spice to the game having to take down teams of Terminators, but not enough to resurrect the potential of this game. One thing i enjoy about these open world games is that once you complete them you can go back and continue to take down forts/bases and still have a different experience every time. With this game and its horrible AI that is so much harder to enjoy. Add in an empty world void of life and its the epitome of a wasteland. I am gonna give this a rest for a while now until the next big update. Street Fighter V Complete Edition next week, so thats my next play.
Old 11-05-21, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hello...

I was wondering if anyone has been playing this up to now or at least last few months and wanted to get their take on it vs how it was when it first came out that resulted in player revolt that was about equal to the one with Fallout 76 when it came out. Tried the beta, cancelled my PO and never came back.....but knew some who stayed with it mainly most of last year but not recently.

there is a pretty good sale going on with both the Deluxe and Gold Versions in the PS Store...Deluxe is $14 from normally $70 and the Gold is $20 normally $100. I asked a few that did play and they haven't played much this year. I was wanting to see if the game got better, stabilized, looked and ran better, etc...I finished Wildlands and loved it BUT^...I did play with friends and never tried using the AI Teammates which if I got the game might end up doing. I just know when it came out the Ghost Recon Fan and Player base was in a uproar on how the game turned out and looked...