Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tales of Vesperia (360) - Who's in?

Old 08-27-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tales of Vesperia (360) - Who's in?

The reviews are starting to trickle in for this and they've been pretty positive so far.

1UP B+
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3169579
Originally Posted by 1UP
Long after we forget the details, we remember the feelings certain games of our youth evoked. Though it's difficult to put into words, Tales of Vesperia (the latest entry in Namco Bandai's long-running action-role-playing franchise) manages to recapture -- even if only for fleeting moments -- some of those elusive intangibles that led to lost RPG weekends on the Super Nintendo and PlayStation 1. It's not some complex, inscrutable formula we're talking about here, either -- just fun, fast-paced combat; a charming, likable cast; a colorful, inviting world that begs exploration; and quick, seamless pacing that's always got you on the move and tackling something fresh. Vesperia feels like what Tales of the Abyss, the previous franchise entry on PS2, was always meant to be.
Gamespot 8.5
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/...ia/review.html
Originally Posted by Gamespot
At its core, Tales of Vesperia isn't very different from its predecessors, but it's easily the best game in the series thanks to its great cast of characters and clever balance of storytelling and gameplay. It's beautiful, it's engaging, and it's fun, and while it won't challenge your combat prowess, it will challenge what you should expect from a modern RPG. This is, by any standard, the best recent example of how an aging series can be updated for contemporary consoles while still delivering what fans expect.
To me these reviews are almost the equivalent of a 10/10 (i.e. the most a non Final Fantasy JRPG can usually expect to get these days). Anyway, as a relatively recent fan of Tales, starting with Symphonia, and as someone who was frustrated with the technical issues of Abyss, I'm really looking forward to diving into this one, probably on release, which is rare these days (I only just bought GTA4 a month ago).

So who else is in? Release date seems to be 28/Aug.

By the way, I searched, and there were a couple of pretty old, small threads, so I decided to start a nice new fresh one .

Last edited by Chris_D; 08-27-08 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-27-08, 09:14 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Loved all the other titles in the series so, yup I'll be playing this one!
Old 08-27-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Part of me says "Hell, yeah!" Then the other part of me looks at the copies of Lost Odyssey (unfinished), Blue Dragon (unfinished) and Eternal Sonata (unstarted!) sitting on my shelf and the forthcoming Infinite Undiscovery, and that other part of me says "No more JRPGs until you finish the ones you have!"
Old 08-27-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I feel the same as Jason. Haven't been in a video game mood of lately save for NHL 08 and Braid. I need to continut with Lost Oddysey, Splinter Cell, Bio Shock, and Rainbow 6. Plus with the fact that NHL 09 is out in less than 2 weeks, that will be taking up most of my time.
Old 08-27-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Part of me says "Hell, yeah!" Then the other part of me looks at the copies of Lost Odyssey (unfinished), Blue Dragon (unfinished) and Eternal Sonata (unstarted!) sitting on my shelf and the forthcoming Infinite Undiscovery, and that other part of me says "No more JRPGs until you finish the ones you have!"
I promised myself no new RPG's til I finish Blue Dragon (which has been really hard for me to get into)
Old 08-27-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never actually played any of the Tales games, but I've got the demo dl'ed to try. I quit on Blue Dragon. It's good, just "simpler" (lighter) than I'm in the mood for. It might be a good way to get my boy into RPGs. I am enjoying Lost Odyssey, and I will finish it (disk 3), and am partially through Eternal Sonata. I've been making more progress on Oblivion, but i know I won't finish it before Fallout comes out.
Who said there was an RPG drought on 360?
Old 08-27-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Forget the next gen JRPG backlog, I have a last-gen backlog that's huge, and includes at least three Tales games already (Legendia, Abyss, and the PSP one I imported). I was pretty hyped for it, but I'll have to pass... I've realized that by the time I get around to playing a JRPG, the price has dropped significantly. Also, the demo was pretty uninspiring. I think Disgaea III will hold me over until Persona IV comes out.
Old 08-27-08, 04:32 PM

Amazon still hasn't ship out my Limited Edition yet. I loved Tales of the Abyss and since this is from the same team, I'll no doubt enjoy it. Can't wait.
Old 08-28-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I picked it up today and I love it so far.
Old 08-28-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I realised the Asia version doesn't come out till the 2nd of Sep. Doh...
Old 09-30-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just finished this game.
I liked it quite alot. I think it is better than BlueDragon,LostOdysey,Eternal Sonata etc...
The graphics aren't as nice, but the gameplay,stories, and chars are alot better.
I had alot of trouble with one boss - Schwinn, but all the other bosses were beatable. The difficulty level was just right for me - not too easy, not too hard.
Old 09-30-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still need to finish this. Great game. How was the ending, worth it or meh?
Old 09-30-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm nearly 30 hours in and enjoying the combat a lot more than the other RPGs I've played lately. Considering how often you battle it's a key point for me!
Old 10-01-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I still need to finish this. Great game. How was the ending, worth it or meh?
i liked the ending, but it was a bit corny.
The last dungeon is very big and very long.
Old 12-10-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I started this the other day. Not much conversation here...

I've never played a Tales before so I'm just getting my footing. But I find the boss battles frustrating. I have no problem handling the enemies nearby, but the bosses invariably kick the shit out of me until I have to go grind more. At least I'm taking the opportunity to synthesize and learn skills that way.

Looks like I'll have several playthroughs of this one to get the full 1000.
Old 12-10-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
So I started this the other day. Not much conversation here...

I've never played a Tales before so I'm just getting my footing. But I find the boss battles frustrating. I have no problem handling the enemies nearby, but the bosses invariably kick the shit out of me until I have to go grind more. At least I'm taking the opportunity to synthesize and learn skills that way.

Looks like I'll have several playthroughs of this one to get the full 1000.
I finished it two weeks back. Logged in 62 hours. Really great experiance. The boss battles did get a little tough so I ended up switching from Normal to Easy. There are some cliched things throughout but there were a few things characters did that seemed to break the cliches.
Old 12-10-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you switch back after the bosses? How much Grade did you end up with?
Old 12-10-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've logged about 120 hours and am in the New game+. Really fun. Didn't had any problems with the bosses, but I think I was always enticed to do extra "grinding" because I always tried to find all the materials to synthesise everything I could as early as possible. So I was often hunting for different monster spawns to find different materials.
Old 12-10-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
Did you switch back after the bosses? How much Grade did you end up with?
At first i did but then it got to the point where i wanted to finish up to get to my other games. So i just stuck with easy. Cant remember what Grade i had.
Old 12-12-08, 06:41 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

How is this game? I'm considering borrowing it from my cousin when he's done with it, but I have a metric shitload of games in my backlog (100?)
Old 12-12-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best RPG on the 360/PS3/Wii I would say. Maybe not an enduring classic, but an extremely polished Tales experience.
Old 05-27-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This game is getting a price-drop in the next few days, Amazon currently has it for $27.99.
Old 05-27-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Tales of Vesperia (360) - Who's in?

Waiting for it on my Goozex but I may end up buying it depending on how many points it goes down
Old 05-27-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Tales of Vesperia (360) - Who's in?

Originally Posted by Chew View Post
This game is getting a price-drop in the next few days, Amazon currently has it for $27.99.
A drop to lower than $27.99? Because I just placed my Amazon order this morning and it's currently out of stock, meaning I could cancel and wait to reorder if it's going to get cheaper. I noticed most other sites had it for $50 or more.
Old 05-27-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
A drop to lower than $27.99? Because I just placed my Amazon order this morning and it's currently out of stock, meaning I could cancel and wait to reorder if it's going to get cheaper. I noticed most other sites had it for $50 or more.
I believe the new price is $29.99 as of 06/01 and Amazon is just ready early.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.