Re: Arcade 1UP

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Alp?
Arcade Legends Pro
Old 01-19-22, 01:34 PM
Suspended

Received 262 Likes on 162 Posts

I have a MAME setup with a X-arcade Tank joystick, and it's fun, and I have all of the 80s and 90s ROMs to play with it. But, it's not the same as the 3/4 Arcade1Up in aesthetics and form factor. Having a line of Arcade1ups with their cabinet art is a completely different experience than playing on a emulation setup.

I'm not interested in a Killer Instinct Pro cabinet, but it will be interesting to see what future cabinets come out in that line.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-21-22)
Old 01-19-22, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 915 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Having a line of Arcade1ups with their cabinet art is a completely different experience than playing on a emulation setup.
Yup. There are a few of those all-you-can-eat style arcade/pinball museums around me, and there's such a visceral thrill to seeing, say, a Burger Time cabinet or a TMNT cab with all the artwork rather than the 3,000-in-one setups that are also there, even though I could play the former on the latter too. These are really neat looking showcase pieces. There's no right or wrong answer; just depends what you're into and what you're looking for. (And I'm in the camp that finds the artwork, marquees, and all that very appealing, despite the limitations.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
PerryD (01-19-22), story (01-19-22)
Old 01-19-22, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Yup. There are a few of those all-you-can-eat style arcade/pinball museums around me, and there's such a visceral thrill to seeing, say, a Burger Time cabinet or a TMNT cab with all the artwork rather than the 3,000-in-one setups that are also there, even though I could play the former on the latter too. These are really neat looking showcase pieces. There's no right or wrong answer; just depends what you're into and what you're looking for. (And I'm in the camp that finds the artwork, marquees, and all that very appealing, despite the limitations.)
Don't get me wrong, as I look at the vintage sealed toys all in my basement, I love the aesthetics too, but at some point, the cost of having $10K worth of machines over a $600 machine that is higher quality in the first place and plays 100x the games just doesn't make any sense. Besides, the ALP cabinet has many third party skins you can use it to make whatever you want it to look like.

I could see if these were full size cabs and 1:1 repros of the original game art, but they really aren't, which takes away a good bit of the nostalgia for me.

I think a basement full of 1up machines looks cool as hell, but that is about where it ends for me.
Old 01-19-22, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts

I love my original Frogger arcade game, but after years of considering a second I just decided to buy broken plain cab cheap and attach the Arcade Legends double stick thing to it with CoinOpsX on it. I'm going to order some vinyl stickers to put on the side to spruce it up a bit.