Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Dumb question but how come Mortal Kombat is not included?
Old 07-12-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Probably just a choice, especially since Street Fighter is included and the bigger game. Wasn't the original neutered with no blood on the SNES too?
Old 07-12-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Probably just a choice, especially since Street Fighter is included and the bigger game. Wasn't the original neutered with no blood on the SNES too?
Technically, all the original home releases had no blood/gore, but the Genesis version had a not-so-secret code that unlocked the blood and gore:
http://www.pughoofgaming.com/videos/...at-blood-code/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal...#Home_versions

But yeah, the SNES Mortal Kombat was not a highlight of the console.
Old 07-12-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Mortal Kombat is also a third party title so the publisher could have said no.
Old 07-12-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

I have Mortal Kombat 1-3 (and over 200 more games) on mine. Considering using a storage expansion hack so I can load the entire SNES library, like I did on my NES.
Old 07-13-18, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I have Mortal Kombat 1-3 (and over 200 more games) on mine. Considering using a storage expansion hack so I can load the entire SNES library, like I did on my NES.
I just watched a video on how to install and play the arcade versions on the SNES Classic via a MAME core.
Old 07-14-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
My guess is that Nintendo considers this a family-friendly device and does not want M-rated games on it. Although the SNES version of the first game might not receive that rating due to the censorship, it was not fondly remembered for that reason and probably wouldn't have been chosen anyway.

If any MK game was going to be on it, it would have been MKII, which is generally considered the best of the series.
Old 08-20-18, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From NES Classic thread:

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
This is pretty hilarious (didn't see a SNES classic thread at a glance).

Assume it is a cart dumper /Hachki all in one gadget.
https://gonintendo.com/stories/31608...n-your-snes-cl
Old 09-10-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Classic 2 Magic guys sent a review unit of their cart to SNES classic to the youtuber Modern Vintage Gamer and he reviews it:

You have to do some setup by dropping software on the usb drive. Looks to basically be a Hakchi interface (you can even see Hakchi on the drive during the review around the 3 min mark).

Doesn't look like they did anything to solve PAL issues or Canoe issues. Retroarch gets installed in the settings menu and you can run games from there.

Probably not authorized use of Retroarch, I'll guess, most of these gadgets it isn't.
Old 09-10-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Mortal Kombat is also a third party title so the publisher could have said no.
Yea, but I doubt it since WB owns Midway now. Easy money to be made. I think more likely one of two scenarios. Nintendo wanted to keep it off because of the rating or they might be looking at adding "Mortal Kombat Trilogy" to the N64 classic when released.
Old 09-10-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
The Classic 2 Magic guys sent a review unit of their cart to SNES classic to the youtuber Modern Vintage Gamer and he reviews it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjx66eJvNo

You have to do some setup by dropping software on the usb drive. Looks to basically be a Hakchi interface (you can even see Hakchi on the drive during the review around the 3 min mark).

Doesn't look like they did anything to solve PAL issues or Canoe issues. Retroarch gets installed in the settings menu and you can run games from there.

Probably not authorized use of Retroarch, I'll guess, most of these gadgets it isn't.
RetroArch is free and open source, is any use authorized?
Old 09-10-18, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
RetroArch is free and open source, is any use authorized?
While in general RetroArch is GPL3, which should allow for commercial use, some parts of RetroArch, in particular specific cores, have "non-commercial" licenses, meaning that they can't be used in a commercial product.
https://docs.libretro.com/tech/licenses/
Old 03-20-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Thought I'd move my discussion of the SNES Classic to the proper thread.

Anyway, reading through this thread I see a lot of talk about the availability of the unit, but not a lot about the games themselves. I was an NES guy back in the day (still am, my old NES still works, and I have the Classic as well anyway), never had a Super or played any games on it. But back in January, after Nintendo announced (again) they were ceasing production, I grabbed one. Loving it so far. Started out with Super Metroid, and unbeknownst to me, I was actually playing what some video game pundits call the "best video game of all time". Shit. That means everything else on the SNES will be a letdown for me.

But as I mentioned in the incorrect thread, what are some SNES games to recommend? I tried Zelda last night, couldn't get into it, but I'll keep at it as it also gets rave reviews. What about games to download for it? I haven't done that yet, but I plan to.
Old 03-20-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Most will recommend the classic RPGs on the SNES.
Old 03-20-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just looked it up, and there's a ton of articles about this listing a lot of games. Some of it depends on if you have preferences for certain types of games.

Back when I had an SNES, I played a lot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time with friends. This is a "better with two people" game. Likewise, played a lot of Tetris Attack, again mainly 2 player, which despite the name isn't much like Tetris, and became the "Puzzle League" games on later Nintendo systems. Chrono Trigger is on the top of most lists for SNES RPGs. SimCity was really fun back in the day, not sure how well it holds up. If you end up liking Donkey Kong Country, getting the two sequels is a no brainer. Super Mario All-Stars was a great way to replay the original NES Super Mario games with better graphics. The Super Star Wars games were fun side scrollers with a few Mode 7 levels to mix things up, but I was really into Star Wars at the time. And now for the info dump.

Best games not on SNES Classic articles:
Feature: 20 Games That Aren't On The SNES Classic Mini, But Really Should Be - Nintendo Life
https://www.ranker.com/list/games-th...ssic/leo-reyna
https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmod...add_after_you/
https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/26/15...e-list-missing
https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/11-.../2900-1325/10/

Just "best SNES" games (includes titles on SNES Classic)
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-snes-games/
https://www.ign.com/lists/top-100-snes-games
Old 03-20-19, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Two of the best games not on the classic are Actraiser (which has one of the THE best soundtracks on the system) and Super Tennis. Probably my favorite tennis game of all time. So if you ever decide to expand your library, don't miss those two.

I got a NES and SNES classic not to far apart from each other. The NES gets far more action, but it's mainly because a good chunk of the SNES games I bought and played on the Virtual Console in the last handful of years.
Old 03-20-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

This badboy showed up this week and it's a hulluva thing. Sexy as hell. Lightweight. Wireless. Controls great.

Paid $40 on amazon (plus $12 for the receiver) a few weeks ago when it was OOS. Looks like it's up to $50 right now. Kinda pricey but it's damn cool.
Old 03-20-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Yeah, I've seen some rankings of the SNES-C games, and most put Metroid and Zelda at the top.

Even though I have no interest in the game of tennis itself, the Super Tennis gets some good reviews so I'll probably get that once I'm installing games onto it. One of the first games I ever played on the old NES was Volleyball, and that was a ton of fun. I also heard about NBA Jam, and they pointed out it was the "fun" era of sports video games, when they weren't trying to be realistic simulations. I got Madden for my X-Box One, and hated it. The tutorial was teaching how to read the linebackers so you can adjust the blocking scheme. Man, if I wanted to do that, I'll just go play football! Where's "Press A for a run play, B for a pass, use the joystick to try to shake a defender"??
Old 06-02-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

So after a year or so of having bought this SNES-mini, I finally modded/hacked it and added an additional 160 games! And after a little tinkering, I got them all to work.

I threw in a lot of games that were Japan or Europe only, that I was always jealous of not being able to have.

SNES has always been my favorite console, and there's just something about how most of these games look, feel and sound that scratches my videogame itch better than anything else. And now with over 180 games on this little thing, I can keep scratching that itch!