Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anthem (BioWare) PS4, XB1, PC - 2/22/19

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Anthem (BioWare) PS4, XB1, PC - 2/22/19

I got on this morning with far less issues than last night...only having to close down and reload the game "Twice"...both at the same point; where the Expedition Load Screen is and stuck at the 90% mark. I played Freelance and saw at least 3-4 others on the map. However over at the EA>Anthem Forum, a lot are still having issues just getting in the demo. There's some conflict with seeing their EA account or something like that.They're signed in, shows they're signed in and PS4 and all but still no Demo. I had to bail short time ago because they were taking the servers offline...hopefully to fix a lot of connection issues. I didn't see anything at EA on why. Might check Bioware site....some are saying it's servers and some say no....I hope some are able to get in and play. I'll hold off on my thoughts of the game for now.
Old 01-26-19, 04:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Well I was in. Walked around. About to start an expedition and frozen ever since...

K&A...would still like to hear thoughts on game.
Old 01-26-19, 05:43 PM

such a tease. i get into that mechanical suit and that's it
Old 01-26-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I just started playing through it with my wife (our first time gaming together on two separate Xboxes!). I guess it was a good thing we waited a bit since the problems have seemingly been smoothed over by now for the most part. I haven't run into any issues, although she's had the loading screen get stuck a couple of times while starting an expedition.

We've knocked out the first two expeditions so far on Easy. I'm having a pretty good time so far, though we're still on our first javelins. The mission design seems fairly routine so far. The shooting/controls aren't nearly as slick as Destiny, but it's serviceable. Flying is a blast, though! It's a welcomed surprise how generous the game is with the LB/RB special weapon cooldowns. I know I probably won't see any really amazing weapons in this demo, especially playing on a low difficulty level, but I'm curious if there's anything as addictive as Destiny's exotics. Regardless, I'm not onboard with not being able to even see -- let alone use! -- your loot until the current expedition is over. The locked loadout seems like a relic from another era.

I'm having a good time -- good enough that I'm planning on keeping my pre-order and maybe grabbing another for my wife -- but am not enamoured yet.

Edit: and, of course, as soon as I say I haven't had any loading problems, now I'm having bunches. Got booted from one super-laggy game only for loading to freeze at 95%. I'm on my third attempt now.

Edited again: third time was not the charm. Maybe we’ll try again tomorrow.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 01-26-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is the official Anthem forum.....don't know if you have to be a member or sign up to even look but here it is...https://answers.ea.com/t5/Anthem/ct-p/anthem-en

Anthem - Thoughts on..
World Design...think Pandora of Alvatar...about the closet I think compares minus the 100 Billion lighted plants (they do have some that do light up) at night....Tall mountain terrains, low valleys, waterfalls and ponds, night & day cycle.....all can be excess flying. And to extend it, fly thru a waterfall to cool your jet which does overheat. Go thru water, just worry about air. Funny first time I flew I crashed into side of rocks and trees left & right....I felt like Iron Man on his first flight.

Javelins....
Each has the ability to carry a Primary and Secondary weapons. Weapons are you standard no thrill's "Physical Damage"...Pistols, Machine Pistols, Assault Rifle, Sniper, Shotgun, Grenade Launchers Heavy Machine Gun..more on all this later.
Each has Three Gears...one each arm, maybe back or leg for third and each has a Ultimate Ability. On your 'Left Arm Gear" is support, usually in some "Shield Bubble" which come in several varaities for damage protection to enhancing more damage The Right Arm Gear is your primary Heavy Assualt. This is where you can get some serious types of weapons and damage; elemental from fire, poison, frozen and shock in all various types. Poison Darts for the Ranger or a Flamethrower for Colossus. The Third Gear depending on Javelin can be a grenade (Ranger) or some heavy Ordinance Back Rocket Launcher( Colossus). And all these come in different flavors; physical, fire, Ice, electrical. With each level of rarity, you get extra stats; more ammo, more health, amour, shield recharge rate, etc...the trick is to load gear that helps do combo damage with other Javelins which provides more damage and also XP.
Components...they work like Mods in Warframe or the individual pcs in Diablo. they are the 'Wildcard" in your arsenal. They come in different rarities and can be for more ammo, reinforced armor, extra melee, etc...and they to come with extra stats like +3% damage against Fire or Acid. But some also have "negatives"...might get more shield but a negative on health. And some are javelin specific that gives you a bigger boost in areas. Some are generic like +5% Damage boost to abilities or 2% Ability Cooldown....it's all over the place...
Appearance...don't think I recall a game that has this many options on what you can do You can change (not in demo) but the style of you Legs, Arms, Chest and Helm. No idea to what extent but there's more. You also have a 'Wear Factor"..want it new looking, dirty, old, standard, etc...Paint...there's (6) different areas on your Javelin you can change to paint, material, fabric, metal, density.....and finally my favorite...you can get your Javelin...Vinyl Wrapped. There's just (5) style to choose and buy from...
In all, there's a lot you can do with your Javelin(s) especially if you get a group together and everyone grabs different damage types to combo off each other.

Game Potenial…
Now you have your Javelin, you have your Missions and Freelance to go out. In freelance you can pull a map up and actually see others and where they're at. World Events can pop up and sometimes when you're close one will show on the map. They can be tough especially with "Bad Javelins" or their version of a Bad Colossus. You can get a mission objective and hopefully some will jump in. Loot is shared so no-one has to fly over and be first. So far everyone waves after the victory. You go down or someone goes down, can be revived, pop a Support Bubble. if not, respawn back at the closet area. There's caves with bad guys and some can get tense. Some have some big dudes like a mini-King Kong(s) at once or some towering giant that slams the ground sending out fire shockwaves. It's not a cakewalk with all sort of various enemies including the local Wildlife from Fire Breathing Giant Birds to Acid Spitting Gorilla looking animals
Challenges...every game has them and in Anthem there is A LOT...weapon challenges, combat challenges and Javelin challenges and under them are several sub challenges....and each has a different reward some in the form of Blueprints which you can make a weapon. Some a higher rarity component, weapon, Javelin part.....it's just a lot you can get and do.
Factions....not in the demo but there will be three. That you can join and do specific missions and quest along with bounties. Rewards will be gear, weapons or even Blueprints.
Strongholds. ….They are The RAIDS in Anthem to Destiny and are no joke. Not as long and doesn't have the parkour challenges nor the coordinating puzzles…..it's just staying alive, dealing damage and trying to work with others from a lot of different enemies and a Boss or Bosses. This is where you don't bring someone way lower just to get them some rewards. All four better bring their A-game. This alone is enough to sell the game...
Future Map....We're only able to do the central area but when you pull up the map, there's a lot around the outer portion locked off that we haven't seen or able to get to and who knows what else is out there. There's a "Library Tab"...a sort of version of Warframe's Codex...that tells a lot about everything in the game including the history and lore. Some have said there are other continents on the planet so it's feasible those might be future DLC. And one of the key sellers to me was "No Season Pass" because the $$$ on these Season Passes is getting insane. I've liked the demo so far as the pace changes, exploring, flying, walking, swimming.....you'll have four Javelins to mix and match and a ton of choices and things to do.
Old 01-27-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I still haven't been able to play. I've gotten to the expedition screen twice now, but every time they load me into matchmaking it just hangs on the loading screen. This is not making me feel good about launch day.

Also they fucked around with the walking in first person mode since the Alpha. It almost feels floaty now.
Old 01-27-19, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I still haven't been able to play. I've gotten to the expedition screen twice now, but every time they load me into matchmaking it just hangs on the loading screen. This is not making me feel good about launch day.

Also they fucked around with the walking in first person mode since the Alpha. It almost feels floaty now.
was just gonna say same thing. Launch expedition and it loads to like 95% and then just stops...
Old 01-27-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by OldBoy
was just gonna say same thing. Launch expedition and it loads to like 95% and then just stops...
That happened to my wife two or three times yesterday late afternoon/evening, while everything loaded without a hitch for me. (She's on an Xbox One S; I'm on an XB1X.) It'd load for her after quitting/restarting the demo, so it wasn't too unbearable. When we came back after dinner, we were both plagued by the 95% freeze. Six attempts between the two of us, a full restart every time, and we couldn't actually get an expedition to go through. We haven't tried again today, so I'm not sure if things are behaving better now.

Not a fix, BUT: If you are hitting the 95% load hang - try quitting out and restarting. You may get a message, 'Game server detected, do you want to rejoin?' say yes. That MAY get past the block. Again, not a fix, but it may get you past.
I've pressed every button on my controller, and I have no idea how to quit the load screen without shutting down the entire game.
Old 01-27-19, 12:43 PM

This is ridiculous. This is supposed to come out in few weeks, right? This can’t be a good thing. I still have preorder but I would like to actually play what’ve paid for...
Old 01-27-19, 12:47 PM

I can’t quit out either. RE2 it is and so far it’s fucking amazing.

Last edited by OldBoy; 01-27-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got in. Unless I'm missing something, I don't like how you have to wait until you go back to town to equip new weapons. I thought before you could do that from one of the menus but I'm not seeing that now.
Old 01-27-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Finally got in. Unless I'm missing something, I don't like how you have to wait until you go back to town to equip new weapons.
It's a deliberate thing to keep the action moving instead of players standing still and fiddling with menus. Which I get, but collecting loot is a lot less satisfying when there's a significant delay in being able to use it or even finding out what you got.
Old 01-27-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally finished all the missions. I couldn't get the stronghold mission to work afterwards. It locked up a half dozen times before I finally gave up.

I hope this isn't a representation of the final product. If it's this buggy I have a feeling people are going to bail fast.
Old 01-27-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OldBoy

yes...this has been annoying as H*ll and widely known. but first thing...this Demo was made up by a Team back in early December separate from the game itself. They took parts of the game to make the Demo and even after "issues &* bugs" found later, it was not enough time to deal with them in this Demo. So it IS NOT REPRESENTIVE OF THE GAME...that has been stressed over and over.....

I've probably got the "Load Expedition" stall screen at the 90% mark over 20 times. But it's happened even after completing a mission. Each time I know exactly where it will stop...I just lose the game...reload the game...get intro screen with a message.."You have a open expedition, continue X-Yes or O-No...hit yes, get the same load screen and it loads fine. But I've also got it at the end of a mission and that one really stinks. You have to close the game....reload...get the intro but it says 'Continue"...start at the beginning, weave yourself around to your Javelin, pick Freelance....then it will start to load, stop....then quit out, reload and you get "You have a open expedition, continue?"...hit yea and then you get loaded in and all of a sudden you get the screen..."Expedition Completed" and all the Javelins are there on platform with your rewards.
Old 01-27-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I reached Level 15, pretty much ran a few Strongholds with both Ranger and Colossus. Have got weapons, components and gear from Level 10 to 17 in White, Green and Blue...aside from the technical mishaps and cluster you-know-what...gameplay has been fun. Sadly it hasn't been that way with a lot out there which is a shame. But I look at it this way, it's no-where the disaster of Fallout 76 in it's finished mode. I've seen a few stutters, landscape flashing, got the PS4 Blue Screen w/Error Code (about 4 times) but I've seen plenty Demos & Betas have some of the same technical, server, bog down, connection, freeze up, stalls, kicked out like this.

I didn't touch on stuff like Crafting because it's very limited on what you can do right now but you can basically craft weapons, components, gear. your stash or at least in the Demo shows at 300. You can salvage about anything and of course depending on rarity you'll get certain parts. There's plant and minerals to gather to use in crafting certain items. You can craft a "Consumable"...a sort of one-time use item that will grant you say 10% more health or damage, a armor buff. As you level you can equip a maximum of (3).

I'd like to have tried Storm and Interceptor just to play with some of their Components. There's some really wild ones in there and sky's the limit on the amount of combo damage with four Javelins using what they have. Ranger's main is grenades, Colossus is heavy artillery, Interceptor is specialized throwing stuff and Storm has some weird elemental pulses, beams. Like the Interceptor has a throwing Glaive that's Plasma and seeks out enemies melting their armor. Storm has a Ice Beam that freezes and chains enemies together or has something called..."Living Flame"...a actual being that seeks out and damages enemies even thru walls. Rangers has about every grenade you can think of including one that breaks apart into four and those seek out the closet. Colossus can turn himself into a Walking Bug Zapper shocking anything in a 8 meter radius or may use a Venom Splatter shooting small globs of acid that just zaps health away. They all have some neat and different tricks in their (4) Ability Arsenal...then add the two guns and each a specialized melee....it's anything but boring.

Last edited by K&AJones; 01-27-19 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's a deliberate thing to keep the action moving instead of players standing still and fiddling with menus. Which I get, but collecting loot is a lot less satisfying when there's a significant delay in being able to use it or even finding out what you got.
That's a huge design flaw then. Perfect example, I had a grenade launcher that I wanted to try out and 5 minutes into the mission I found out I hated it. I was stuck with the damn thing the entire time, which does not provide an enjoyable experience. Hopefully they look into changing that.
Old 01-28-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a huge design flaw then. Perfect example, I had a grenade launcher that I wanted to try out and 5 minutes into the mission I found out I hated it. I was stuck with the damn thing the entire time, which does not provide an enjoyable experience. Hopefully they look into changing that.
This is a hard one as it could go both ways but I'm with Adam on this. If there's a new weapon or ability component you just got, head to Freelance and give it go before jumping in a Mission. I tried several Grenade Launchers, Machine Guns, Pistols out there and knew which ones I liked...it was like that with the Cloudbust issued gun with Colossuss. I took it out on Freelance the moment I got Colossus to test his arsenal and got rid of that right away before even doing a mission. Same with Storm's abilities; I tried some Fire & Ice ones to see what they did before jumping in a mission. Also, you will have up to Five Loadouts you can keep and name to sort out what works well with each other. The only way they could do this is something I saw in a COD game was with Weapon Crates/Chests at a different parts in the level. I think that though interrupts the pace & flow...plus you have four abilities at your disposal.
Old 02-06-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Two part series trailers.....
.Part 1 - Story, Progression and Customization

<iframe width="871" height="490" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2drI_iT4NUg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 2, Endgame

<iframe width="871" height="490" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oh2RHMcfHkg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-14-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-15-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

6 hour hands on preview: https://kotaku.com/six-hours-in-anth...ove-1832658758
Old 02-15-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I ended up signing up for Origin Premier and I'm downloading this now. I was planning on getting this on the 22nd, but I've got some free time this weekend so I figured why not. Plus, the Origin Access library is robust enough that I figure I'll get quite a bit of use out of it.
Old 02-17-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking forward to Friday....and good to read the hands on review. I don't know if I feel bad for people or just look at them at not having any common sense when it comes to judging a "Game" based on a Demo or Beta that is not a full representation of the game as it was well known with Anthem. Players complained about any and everything and others had to keep reminding them, "did you not read what the Demo actually is and based on?"...it's been the same with The Division 2..."The Game" sucks, pathetic, full of issues, bugs and once again they have to be reminded it's a BETA...

I think the game will do fine but I expect some..."Issues"..after launch be enemy AI, weapon damage, etc...but I believe the game has a future in terms of the story and as it's been noted, the Planet does have other continents. It will boil down to pushing the higher end levels which seem to resemble The Torrent Levels in Diablo. I just hope they make it to where everyone has a chance to get in to whatever instead of it being funneled like in destiny where it's Raid after Raid after Raid. But at least we have matchmaking....we shall see...
Old 02-17-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

The flying and the shooting in Anthem are great, everything else, from progression to loot to UI to story, are at best not great, but they're mostly just shit.

And it looks good as hell too .

Last edited by lopper; 02-17-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Got an email that BB will let you pick it up at 9pm Thursday.
Old 02-18-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still don't know which Javelin I plan on starting out with. I played all four and all have their own neat play style...and all have a minus as well. In the end I felt The Ranger was the most balanced yet not the most special in terms of abilities. Some have ragged on how the Colossus is not a True Tank and have complained about his Shield. But I actually liked him...slow but he has his moments. I didn't care for the Interceptor class at all at first and after about 2-3 hrs was about to throw in the towel. But she/he has some cool stuff that comes in handy. Not a great DPS but minor to medium AOE is it. Speed always comes in handy. And Storm...everyone is going to play Storm so play one of the other three.Most on the forum said they're playing the story part solo...or as much as they can do and I'll do the same but cannot wait to jump in the co-op part with others...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.