Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I was wondering that too. I had read about smart steering but didn't quite know what it meant. Makes sense now.
Old 05-01-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Good news! Shaq Fu: The Legend Reborn is coming to the Switch.

Also:

We should note that Saber Interactive has other Switch titles on the way. First up is NBA Playgrounds, which lands on May 9. Karch also told us that Switch will be receiving “a new motocross title”. Finally, Saber Interactive is planning a new four-player co-op shooter (not the upcoming Quake) “that is a candidate” for Switch as it would be “perfect for the platform.”
Old 05-01-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://gonintendo.com/stories/279295...-the-fastest-s

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With more than 459,000 combined packaged and digital sales in the U.S. on launch day alone (April 28), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Nintendo Switch system is the fastest-selling game in the long-running Mario Kart series. The previous record holder for the highest first-day sales in the franchise was Mario Kart Wii, with U.S. sales of approximately 433,900 when it launched in 2008. The solid sales numbers for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe equate to an attach rate of 45 percent – meaning nearly one in two Nintendo Switch owners in the U.S. purchased a copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the first day it was available. To date, more than 2.7 million Nintendo Switch systems have been sold globally.
Old 05-01-17, 12:37 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

I just picked up a Switch this weekend. The last Nintendo console I had was the Wii, and it didn't get much use out of me, simply because I hated the motion gimmick. Gotta say I'm liking the Switch much more. Also picked up a copy of Mario Kart 8 with it. I kind of wish everything wasn't unlocked from the get go, but I get it for people who played it on Wii U.

Speaking of re-released games, I would love if they could somehow bring out the New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 3D World since I never played those either. Something about Odyssey looks off to me... I think it's the real world setting.
Old 05-01-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020
Speaking of re-released games, I would love if they could somehow bring out the New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 3D World since I never played those either. Something about Odyssey looks off to me... I think it's the real world setting.
I'd take the Mario Galaxy games along with that. Something does look off about Odyssey.
Old 05-02-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020
I just picked up a Switch this weekend. The last Nintendo console I had was the Wii, and it didn't get much use out of me, simply because I hated the motion gimmick. Gotta say I'm liking the Switch much more. Also picked up a copy of Mario Kart 8 with it. I kind of wish everything wasn't unlocked from the get go, but I get it for people who played it on Wii U.
Yeah that's one minor complaint I have with the game. I kind of enjoy unlocking things as I go as it gives me a bit more incentive to play and I didn't have the Wii U version of the game (never owned the console). Still a really fun game though.

Also I could use some friends if anyone wants to add me to play sometime. I don't have anyone added so far.

Friend Code: SW-4817-3155-4505

Last edited by Mike86; 05-02-17 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

There are still the vehicle unlocks as well as Gold Mario.
Old 05-03-17, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but the extra tracks and characters feel more rewarding to unlock for some reason. One thing that I think could be cool for the next installment is to add more characters like say Sonic and crew. Nintendo and Sega have worked together in the past and the game is still called Mario Kart but they've added a bunch of other characters.
Old 05-03-17, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm finding the game more fun this time around and I can't figure out why.
Old 05-03-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just realized of all the Mario Kart games I've played this is only the second one I've actually owned (the other of all I could have chosen from is Mario Kart DS).

Last edited by Mike86; 05-03-17 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-09-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I had asked for the Wii U version of the new Zelda game for my birthday but my wife surprised me with a Nintendo Switch bundle! So now i have Zelda, MarioKart 8 and Bomberman. The bundle also had some crap like Amibos (Lucas, and an Animal Crossing 3 pack).
Switch is pretty slick. I'll need to get another screen protector since i already managed to scratch the one that came with the bundle while trying to get rid of an air bubble.
I also have a pro controller that should show up today or tomorrow.
It was a pretty good birthday!
Old 05-09-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Switch actually saves credit card details now. I've only made two eShop purchases but i was wondering why I had to re-enter my info. I know some people hate this sort of thing for security reasons, but i'm lazy

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/9/155...te-credit-card

The Nintendo Switch eShop received a small tweak this week: Customers can now save their credit card information, speeding up the purchasing process.

For the first two months of the Switch’s life, any time someone wanted to buy a new game from the eShop, they’d have to input their credit card details. This can be a cumbersome, repetitive barrier to what should be a quick and painless transaction. On the Wii U, Wii and 3DS, customers are able to store their credit card information, which made the Switch an outlier.

To make up for the inconvenience of buying digital Switch games during the past eight weeks, Nintendo will allow users to attach a credit card to their user profile from now on. There’s also an option to password-protect all eShop purchases.
Old 05-09-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I've still resisted buying Mario Kart mainly because I've been teaching my daughter Tetris (she's on her own with Puyo Puyo though). But is it any fun with a joycon each?
Old 05-09-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I've still resisted buying Mario Kart mainly because I've been teaching my daughter Tetris (she's on her own with Puyo Puyo though). But is it any fun with a joycon each?
It's not bad with motion controls off. Not very different than using a Wiimote on WiiU except you get an analog rather than dpad.
Old 05-10-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Digital version of RiME is dropping to $29.99.

https://www.greybox.com/rime/en/comm...ntendo-switch/

Back in March, we announced that the Nintendo Switch version of RiME was going to be released at $39.99 / €44.99 / £39.99. The reason for the higher price was due to the additional development, manufacturing, and publishing costs involved with that port.While some were understanding of these go-to-market costs, there were still a number of folks who weren't happy. We totally understand: nobody wants to pay higher prices.

At Grey Box, we are determined to provide a fair deal for everyone around. And so we discussed how we could do that, without simply selling at a loss, all while also being fair to our retail partners. So, here's what we're doing.

First off, the digital version of RiME on Nintendo Switch will now cost $29.99 / €34.99 / £29.99, the same price as the game on other platforms. So, that’s straightforward enough.

On the physical side, we can’t lower the price without selling at a loss, but we can add more value to the package. And that’s what we’re doing. For the Nintendo Switch version of RiME, all physical copies will include a printed code for a download of the complete, beautiful soundtrack by David García (a sample of which you can find here). You will be able to download the music via Bandcamp in one of the multiple high-quality formats. The soundtrack is planned on being sold separately for $10 in the US (and equivalent prices elsewhere), and so the value you’re going to get out of this will be the same as somebody who purchased a different version of RiME, and then bought the soundtrack.
Old 05-10-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm that's interesting, so I guess the cost to manufacture the cartridge is significant after all. Must be the anti-lick coating.
Old 05-11-17, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 05-11-17, 09:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Hmm that's interesting, so I guess the cost to manufacture the cartridge is significant after all. Must be the anti-lick coating.
What they don't realize is that the anti-lick coating is delicious.
Old 05-11-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm curious to see how well NBA 2k18 translates to the Switch
Old 05-11-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Me too, but my hopes aren't high. I expect stripped down features and significantly worse graphics (obviously), and sports games are one of the games where realism and player likeness plays a big part for me.
Old 05-11-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it's reasonably playable and I can take it on the go, I'll love it. I hated that EA stopped porting Madden over to the Vita.

The one caveat I have as someone who rarely plays online is their stupid always online VC system and how badly suspend is going to mess it up. Like if you're playing 2k on PS4 and you suspend the system, more often then not you'll lose any VC you earned if you're in the middle of a game.
Old 05-11-17, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Me too, but my hopes aren't high. I expect stripped down features and significantly worse graphics (obviously), and sports games are one of the games where realism and player likeness plays a big part for me.
Same, I'd assume at least better than:

Old 05-16-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

A Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 6 PM Eastern is focused on ARMS, and there'll be a Splatoon 2 trailer at the end.
Old 05-17-17, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Switch still doing well.
  • Nintendo sold 280K Switches in April, making it the top-selling video game system, despite severe supply issues.
  • Despite only being out for two days (!) for tracking in the April period (4/28 and 4/29), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was the month's top-selling game across all platforms (~460K physical, ~90K digital).
  • Breath of the Wild held the #3 spot.

All numbers are for the U.S.
Old 05-17-17, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toys R Us stores are reported to have stock on Friday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.