Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Eh somehow Amazon has no estimated delivery date if I order now. Maybe BB with in store pickup.
Old 04-25-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm going physical with Mario Kart despite it being a great "local" game to have on there. Puyo I want as digital. Pre-ordered MK on Amazon earlier today.

The keychains for Puyo aren't particularly enticing.

I am mildly interested in Sega's upcoming Sonic Mania collectors set though.

Spoiler:

Last edited by RichC2; 04-25-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

I'm holding out hope for a physical Switch release for Sonic Mania at some point.
Old 04-25-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I'm going to order Mario Kart 8 Deluxe from Amazon with the Prime discount. I'll probably just download Puyo Puyo Tetris due to the price difference though. I have Sonic Mania on order for One but think I'll cancel in favor of the Switch version. I really just want the replica cartridge with the golden ring and not the full Sonic statue.
Old 04-25-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I had bought a 128 GB SD card on sale from Amazon a couple weeks ago but I realize now it will probably be awhile before I even get close to filling up the internal storage. I went ahead and bought Puyo online, looking forward to messing with it later today.
Old 04-25-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Maybe I'm being a conspiracy theorist here, but I suspect that the Switch Tax is in full effect, and the keychains are cheap tchotchkes meant to ease the sting somewhat.
If true, why would they price the digital version a full 10 bucks less?
Old 04-25-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by fujishig
If true, why would they price the digital version a full 10 bucks less?
Several publishers have stopped just short of saying that they price Switch titles higher because the media is more expensive. Industrywide, publishers are also reluctant to price digital lower than physical releases because they don't want to risk upsetting retailers...and if people are willing to pay full price digitally, why stop 'em?

My theory is that Puyo is more expensive physically because the media is pricier than a regular old Blu-ray disc, and for whatever reason, they're not sweating price parity between physical and digital. I seem to remember reading that there are a whole bunch of licensing requirements that went into this game, and maybe a capped digital price is one of them.

Aside from pens and pencils, keychains are about the cheapest promotional items there are. I can't believe that those cost Sega anything close to $10.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 04-25-17 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, I see what you're saying, and I agree with that the cost of the cartridge could be a factor, though this particular game would fit on the smallest one they make, I'm sure, and 3ds games have never been priced higher due to cartridges (I realize they're completely different media). I was saying "switch tax" as code for "let's milk new console owners tax", like Rime seems to be, at least digitally.

I also don't think they're even making a digital version of Puyo for the PS4 and they aren't bringing out the rest of the ports.

Like I said before, though, Puyo Puyo Tetris is fantastic and I really, really suck at it.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-25-17 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I'm enjoying Puyo Puyo Tetris. Nice break between gathering heart containers in Zelda.

I also have to say Zelda is the most fun I've had playing a game since Bloodborne and likely is my favorite entry since the 3D shift in the franchise despite it being relatively easy and substantially slower in pace (I normally hate open world). If Super Mario Odyssey can keep up with the Galaxy titles, I would be willing to say the Switch is completely worth it -- hell, I'm almost there from ultra portable Zelda alone. My main concern on that title is the emphasis on Mario in a City, which reminds me too much of the enjoyable but disappointing Sonic Adventure titles.

The increased price for physical copies is frustrating because it basically eliminates the Best Buy Gamers Club and Amazon Prime discounts on games.
Old 04-26-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah I'm enjoying Puyo Puyo Tetris. Nice break between gathering heart containers in Zelda.

I also have to say Zelda is the most fun I've had playing a game since Bloodborne and likely is my favorite entry since the 3D shift in the franchise despite it being relatively easy and substantially slower in pace (I normally hate open world). If Super Mario Odyssey can keep up with the Galaxy titles, I would be willing to say the Switch is completely worth it -- hell, I'm almost there from ultra portable Zelda alone. My main concern on that title is the emphasis on Mario in a City, which reminds me too much of the enjoyable but disappointing Sonic Adventure titles.

The increased price for physical copies is frustrating because it basically eliminates the Best Buy Gamers Club and Amazon Prime discounts on games.
I don't think it's a pattern, though, it's only Puyo Puyo Tetris for whatever reason. The main reason digital games are the same price as regular games, I think, are because the retailers would be pretty ticked if every game had a digital discount. And even though Best Buy sells digital codes, their cut must be different because they don't allow GCU on digital purchases through them.

In CA, since they charge tax on online purchases but not on digital purchases, the difference between GCU/Prime and physical for Mario Kart is only like 8 bucks, so I guess I will go digital and not have to venture out of my home.

I agree Zelda is awesome (though it's also apparently awesome on the WiiU, just not portable), my main concern is longevity of the platform, mainly because Nintendo has shown a pattern of holding back their premium games for the next iteration. I'd hate for this system to peak early and then have a long lull of quality first party games, especially because they're so dependent on first party through no fault but their own.
Old 04-26-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think it's a pattern, though, it's only Puyo Puyo Tetris for whatever reason. The main reason digital games are the same price as regular games, I think, are because the retailers would be pretty ticked if every game had a digital discount. And even though Best Buy sells digital codes, their cut must be different because they don't allow GCU on digital purchases through them.

In CA, since they charge tax on online purchases but not on digital purchases, the difference between GCU/Prime and physical for Mario Kart is only like 8 bucks, so I guess I will go digital and not have to venture out of my home.

I agree Zelda is awesome (though it's also apparently awesome on the WiiU, just not portable), my main concern is longevity of the platform, mainly because Nintendo has shown a pattern of holding back their premium games for the next iteration. I'd hate for this system to peak early and then have a long lull of quality first party games, especially because they're so dependent on first party through no fault but their own.
I think Rime will be a good indicator, since the physical copy is $39.99 while it's $29.99 on the Xbox One and PS4, if they will offer future digital versions with lower prices.
Old 04-27-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

In-stock at Amazon (Prime members only) as I write this.

Basically all the usual B&M suspects are restocked (or will be tomorrow morning) for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's release.
Old 04-27-17, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

For some reason my work internet is blocking Metacritic, what are the reviews like for Puyo Puyo Tetris?
Old 04-27-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
For some reason my work internet is blocking Metacritic, what are the reviews like for Puyo Puyo Tetris?
Not my type of game but reviews have been very positive.
Old 04-27-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
In-stock at Amazon (Prime members only) as I write this.

Basically all the usual B&M suspects are restocked (or will be tomorrow morning) for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's release.
Thank you very much! Was just about to post that I haven't found one yet... when I saw your post.

So what other key / essential pieces do I need to get?
Old 04-27-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought a Pro Controller, a Charging Stand, and a Travel bag (w/ cutout for the Dock).
Old 04-27-17, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
Thank you very much! Was just about to post that I haven't found one yet... when I saw your post.

So what other key / essential pieces do I need to get?
Pro Controller; extra charging cable for on the go; Case; Micro SD Card
Old 04-27-17, 02:03 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Yeah, my local target was well stock with Switches when I was passing by.
Old 04-27-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pro controller, case, and screen protector. You can wait for deals on everything else.
Old 04-27-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It has a 83.13% on Game Rankings (16 reviews) and a 80 on Metacritic (32 reviews) I've been really enjoying it.
Old 04-27-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Pro Controller; extra charging cable for on the go; Case; Micro SD Card
Will any micro SD card do or do I need some proprietary Nintendo enhanced version?

Would you guys recommend a charging station for the Joy Con?
Old 04-27-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Not my type of game but reviews have been very positive.
Originally Posted by RichC2
It has a 83.13% on Game Rankings (16 reviews) and a 80 on Metacritic (32 reviews) I've been really enjoying it.
Thanks!
Old 04-27-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Surprised that no one has mentioned how Target stores are all decked out for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Outside the store where the red balls normally are they have covers over them with Mario and Luigi and when you first walk in the doors the windows have decals and the countdown timer from the game goes off when you walk in.
Old 04-27-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Alas, the Target closest to me isn't one of those participating.
Old 04-27-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
Will any micro SD card do or do I need some proprietary Nintendo enhanced version?

Would you guys recommend a charging station for the Joy Con?
I have a cheap 128gb card off ebay and it works fine.

I don't see the need. They charge when attached to the console and I use the Pro when using on a TV. Maybe if you plan on doing multiplayer with each person using a Joycon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.