Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 04:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

FAST is an incredible game, bargain priced at $20.
Old 02-28-17, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

So if you preordered from Best Buy, make sure your payment processed correctly. I'm on the phone with them now but they basically cancelled my preorder, despite my card having funds, and it's not an isolated incident.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/274804...-swit#comments

http://nerdbacon.com/best-buy-cancel...ch-pre-orders/

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming-...032149/page/15

Last edited by fujishig; 02-28-17 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Checked my order and it seems ok, although mine is on a Best Buy store card. That sucks though.
Old 02-28-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Customer service as expected is no help whatsoever. Since I don't even get GCU discount on consoles I don't even know why I bothered ordering from them, should have just stuck with Amazon. Now I have to return a bunch of stuff and lose my visa checkout discount when the controller and games come without a console. If they don't somehow make good on this, ugh.

A console I didn't even initially want. Man Nintendo has me by the gonads.

Hmm... my breath of wild special edition is coming Friday as well. Double ugh.

Last edited by fujishig; 02-28-17 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-01-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Official reviews are out. Nothing really new that we don't already know or assume from what i've gleaned so far.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/1477...-switch-review

Nintendo has demonstrated in fits and starts that it wants to move forward, and we’re hopeful that it will. But as it exists right now, days before launch, the Switch isn’t even a fully functional console yet, and some of the hardest work the company needs to do has only just begun. Just as concerning, the work Nintendo is doing appears completely opaque from the outside — and Nintendo has frequently been glacially slow to course-correct when the path it’s set on has proven the wrong one.

Nintendo’s vision is clearer than it’s been in years. Now the company needs to prove it can pull it all together.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-th...iew-1792776350

Big picture: I fundamentally like using the Switch. It accomplishes its central goal admirably, and has already gotten me thinking about it differently than my other game consoles. It also has a number of irritating flaws and hidden costs, and there are so many things about it that Nintendo still hasn’t explained.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/...-switch-review

As a handheld, the Switch is a powerful piece of hardware with a gorgeous screen, but it's too large and power hungry to feel like you can really take it anywhere. As a console, it’s underpowered, unreliable, and lacking basic features and conveniences that all of its competitors offer. It’s nicely built and cleverly designed to be used in a variety of ways, but the bottom line is that the Switch doesn’t do any one of the many things it can do without some sort of significant compromise. Our testing will continue for the next few days as we try out the online features and other functions enabled by the day-one patch, but if I had to score it now I’d give it a 6.7.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/147...th-of-the-wild

The most shocking thing about the Switch might be how many obvious pitfalls Nintendo has managed to elegantly avoid. Going from playing on the tablet to the TV is completely effortless, and there's no sense of compromise whichever way you choose to play. Once you hold and use the Switch, it just makes sense.

Great hardware alone isn’t enough, of course. I have little doubt Nintendo’s first-party lineup will be amazing — Breath of the Wild alone is almost worth the cost of admission here — but the company’s weak spots have always been continuing and expanding third-party support, as well as providing a robust online service. Those are the potential pitfalls to come.

The Switch has all the makings of something truly great. Now Nintendo just needs to support it.
Old 03-01-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 03-01-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 03-01-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those aren't exactly glowing reviews. But I guess if you are buying this thing at launch, you kinda know what to expect going in. Hopefully Nintendo can pull it together over time. They abandoned the Wii U gamepad functionally pretty early on, after building the system around it. The overpriced accessories ($30 A/C adapter!?!) and some of the pricing on the $40 - $50 games are baffling as well. I guess time will tell if enough people will support it. They sure didn't come out of the woodwork to support the Wii U, even with some killer first party exclusives.
Old 03-01-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-01-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
They abandoned the Wii U gamepad functionally pretty early on, after building the system around it.
I don't think they abandoned the gamepad so much as they had no real idea what to do with it in the first place. They exhausted all their ideas early on and couldn't seem to come up with much of anything else for a long while. They said a couple E3s back that they wanted to make games to better showcase the gamepad, which is how we wound up with stuff like Star Fox Zero.

It definitely seems like Nintendo is rushing this to market just so it'll sneak in before the end of their fiscal year.

The annoying thing to me is that so many of the early previews said how awesome the joycons are in the grip and how there's no real need for a pro controller. Now it's flip-flopped, and I'm starting to regret not pre-ordering a pro.
Old 03-01-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet if they would have scrapped the Wii U gamepad and tossed in a pro controller and sold the console for $249, it would have been a hit follow up to the Wii. I guess we'll never know though. They just seem so stubborn in their decision making. Hell, even MS learned with the Kinect when it failed. They pulled it from the box and dropped the price $100 and the system started to sell again. Nintendo doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes or try to course correct, they just ride it out and then start all over again.

And this may be news to only me, but are they bringing back motion controllers again? I thought that died out (for the better) with the Wii.
Old 03-01-17, 03:20 PM
Banned

Really glad to see a lot of those mainstream websites not pulling punches because this is Nintendo. They've cut the Wii U short so they can turn around and do the exact same thing all over again.

I don't expect much different results once they've sold through the first 15 million or so to the core users.
Old 03-01-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by wtsang
Really glad to see a lot of those mainstream websites not pulling punches because this is Nintendo.
Has that historically been a problem? The Wii U was roundly criticized as well.

Originally Posted by wtsang
They've cut the Wii U short so they can turn around and do the exact same thing all over again.
Personally, if I saw a house engulfed in flames with the roof caving in, I wouldn't keep moving furniture in there. The Wii U failed. Yes, its short lifespan sucks. At the same time, if I were Nintendo, I wouldn't want to invest hundreds of millions of additional dollars into...I mean, it's not even a losing proposition. It's already been lost. It's been lost so badly -- so fundamentally, wholly, and completely -- that there was absolutely zero chance of a meaningful recovery.

I bet if they would have scrapped the Wii U gamepad and tossed in a pro controller and sold the console for $249, it would have been a hit follow up to the Wii.
Losing the gamepad at least makes it clearer that it's a new system, but the list of ways that Nintendo botched the Wii U's launch is so endless that I can't really imagine it ever being a runaway success.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-01-17 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-01-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bet if they would have scrapped the Wii U gamepad and tossed in a pro controller and sold the console for $249, it would have been a hit follow up to the Wii. I guess we'll never know though. They just seem so stubborn in their decision making. Hell, even MS learned with the Kinect when it failed. They pulled it from the box and dropped the price $100 and the system started to sell again. Nintendo doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes or try to course correct, they just ride it out and then start all over again.
The Super Nintendo didn't come with these stupid controllers, and it turned out to be one most beloved consoles of all time. That's why I'm indecisive about the Switch. I want a normal controller, I don't want these grips or these Joy-Cons or whatever the hell they're called.
Old 03-01-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by EinCB
That's why I'm indecisive about the Switch. I want a normal controller, I don't want these grips or these Joy-Cons or whatever the hell they're called.
Joy-Cons are the controller bits that detach from the handheld. The grip is the thing in the middle that allows you to make a regular controller out of them.

I really don't think motion controls are going to be critical to too many Switch games. Even Arms allows for play with the pro controller.
Old 03-01-17, 04:25 PM
Banned

Has that historically been a problem? The Wii U was roundly criticized as well.
People in general seem to see what they want to when massive nostalgia is involved. I'm not saying it's been a large problem in the past - particularly regarding previous console launches - but the gaming press isn't immune.

Personally, if I saw a house engulfed in flames with the roof caving in, I wouldn't keep moving furniture in there. The Wii U failed.
Sure. But that's only the first half. The problem, until I am proven wrong in the next few years, is that they don't seem to have used their time to regroup and start fresh very well.
Old 03-01-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
See, it's not a terrible idea, I think people just wish Nintendo would have made that leap of logic themselves instead of "wasting" however many years and dollars on the WiiU, essentially using their customers as test subjects.

I still enjoy ours, we've bought more games for the WiiU in these past few months than we have in most of it's lifespan. And I still love being able to play without the TV. That's a great little bonus when you share a TV with your family.

--------------

And I'm definitely interested in the Switch but I'm waiting to see how my company's merger goes over this summer before spending any extra money. Plus, we never buy consoles at launch, we let you all you other guinea pigs figure out the problems
Old 03-01-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

I just realized that this will be the very first Nintendo console out 12 consoles total (I'm counting handhelds, but not their incremental updates nor the virtual boy) that I will never buy. And that makes me a little sad.
Old 03-01-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I just realized that this will be the very first Nintendo console out 12 consoles total (I'm counting handhelds, but not their incremental updates nor the virtual boy) that I will never buy. And that makes me a little sad.
I said the same thing to my brother, I used to be so excited for each system, but it's gone downhill after each system I feel.
Old 03-01-17, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Received 759 Likes on 501 Posts

That's the same sentiment I had for the Wii and the Wii-U but I ended up getting both of those down the road. Never did get the 3DS, though.
Old 03-01-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 450 Posts

I know when I have zero interest in ever buying a game or system I continue to post 30+ times in the thread just to let everyone know.
Old 03-01-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was looking through a Best Buy ad and found this funny:

Xbox One S 500GB Battlefield 1 Bundle $299.99

Nintendo Switch 32GB Console Grey Joy-Con $299.99
Old 03-01-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I know when I have zero interest in ever buying a game or system I continue to post 30+ times in the thread just to let everyone know.
I'm just here waiting for some good news. It's not like I want this console to fail.

But you go on ahead and live in your fantasyland.
Old 03-01-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 450 Posts

I'm just here waiting for some good news. It's not like I want this console to fail.

But you go on ahead and live in your fantasyland.
You've already posted that you will "never" buy the system so what good news are you waiting for?
Old 03-01-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Since there'll inevitably be a hardware update somewhere along the way, what would you like to see Nintendo add/change?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.