Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 03-01-17, 08:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I know when I have zero interest in ever buying a game or system I continue to post 30+ times in the thread just to let everyone know.
Hey, it's relevant to the topic!
Old 03-01-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Well the Wii U was the first Nintendo system that I never owned nor bought. I've got a Switch preordered already and can't wait to play Zelda... everything else? I guess I'll see in a month or two...
Old 03-02-17, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Since there'll inevitably be a hardware update somewhere along the way, what would you like to see Nintendo add/change?
Better/more games. Simple, but also, not so simple.
Old 03-02-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts

A $50 price drop would be nice. $300 is way too much for a portable system with a short battery life and it's a lot of money for an underpowered home console.

Getting a Switch with a pack-in game ( even crappy one like 1-2 Switch) for $249 on Black Friday might be tempting though.
Old 03-02-17, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Better/more games. Simple, but also, not so simple.
Honestly, I think 2017 is looking pretty great on that front, at least as far as first party titles go. They're coming in drips and drabs, but if Nintendo hits the marks they've set, there's Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Arms, and Xenoblade before the year's out, along with the Mario Kart remaster, 1-2 Switch, and Snipperclips. (...though Xenoblade actually making 2017 in the U.S. would surprise me.) It's possible that we'll get some surprises at E3 too, though I'm not banking on much of anything new that'll be out this year.

I am concerned about Splatoon 2 playing more like an expansion pack than a full-blown sequel, and there's no word on the campaign yet. Arms is by pretty much all accounts incredibly fun, although I'm not sold yet that it'll have the staying power of a Smash, Splatoon, or Kart.

Originally Posted by Decker
Getting a Switch with a pack-in game ( even crappy one like 1-2 Switch) for $249 on Black Friday might be tempting though.
Yeah, I agree. I don't know if we'll get both a pack-in and a price drop (although I hope we do!), but I'd put money that there'll be at least one of those. Super Mario Odyssey as a holiday pack-in just makes so much sense. (My baseless suspicion is that 1-2 Switch isn't a pack-in because Nintendo didn't want that to define the console's identity.)

The great thing about an early March launch is that there's a whole bunch of time for things to be more fully-baked for the holidays: a compelling library, OS tweaks/updates/polish, online, Virtual Console, fixes for that left Joy-Con disconnection error, etc. Plus anyone who wants to pay $300 to be an early access beta tester before the console's truly ready for prime time can!

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-02-17 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-02-17, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

So, the username for my Nintendo account is "SonicYogurt". You can't use that to add me as a friend on the Switch, though.

You add friends by:

* Already being friends on Facebook
* Following someone on Twitter
* Already being connected in Miitomo, Super Mario Run, etc.
* Having already played on a Switch game together online
* Befriending someone who's physically nearby with his/her own Switch
* Friend codes

Why? They didn't do friend codes on the Wii U. Ugh. At least this time it's just one way; if I give you my friend code and you accept, we're friends, and I don't need your friend code in turn.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-02-17 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-02-17, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta love em!
Old 03-02-17, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

Friend codes are back?
Old 03-02-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
Well the Wii U was the first Nintendo system that I never owned nor bought. I've got a Switch preordered already and can't wait to play Zelda... everything else? I guess I'll see in a month or two...
The funny thing is as someone who also skipped the Wii U but had a Wii, the Switch seems so much more appealing to me. Even though there's a lack of unique/original games at the moment, hardware and feature wise it seems like everything the Wii U was trying to do but better.

Games wise, things like the Nindies announcement has me pretty hopeful. Seems like it's going to be an awesome system for those kind of smaller games.
Old 03-02-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Games wise, things like the Nindies announcement has me pretty hopeful. Seems like it's going to be an awesome system for those kind of smaller games.
Yeah, I know I can play Sonic Mania or Yooka-Laylee on any system, but there's just something that seems like a great fit with the Switch. With Jackbox coming to the Switch too, I love the idea of being able to bring that anywhere instead of grabbing a laptop, being limited to friends who also have an Xbox One, etc.
Old 03-02-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

IGN gave Zelda a 10. Too bad its not on a better (imo) system.
Old 03-02-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

All the Switch preorders I made look like they're in progress -

Best Buy - ready for pick up, and the store by me is doing a midnight launch.
Target - shipped, but probably won't show up until early next week.
Amazon - shipping today, should be here tomorrow by 8 PM.

And no, i'm not hoarding to profit off of them, i'm giving them to coworkers at cost who decided they wanted one
Old 03-02-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I ordered the console from Amazon, and I got a shipping notification for it earlier this morning.

I ordered BotW and an Archer Link Amiibo from Best Buy, and that's been 'preparing' for days.

Fingers crossed that they all get here tomorrow! It'll be kinda funny since they'll probably arrive from different carriers, so I won't be able to take advantage of 'em all at once.
Old 03-02-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Nintendo replied about the friend code debacle:

Several methods can be used to add friends as quickly and easily as possible: By linking Nintendo Switch to your Nintendo Account, your friends from Miitomo and Super Mario Run will appear as friend candidates so you can easily send them a friend request. Also, we are planning it so that friends from social networking services will be listed as candidates, too.

In the future, you will be able to send a friend request to friends associated with your NNID (Wii U/Miiverse) and Nintendo 3DS.

In some games you will be able to use an in-game interface to send friend requests.

You can send friend requests to those who have played with you recently.

You can establish a friend through local wireless communication.

You can also send a friend request by using a friend code.
Why they aren't doing that on day one, I have no friggin' clue. It's not as if My Nintendo/NNIDs don't exist now.

I wonder if you can add friends on the Wii U and just have them show up on your Switch.

As for friend codes, Jeff Gerstmann sez:

I got a friend request from someone via friend code and it offers no details beyond their (non-unique) nickname and icon. Seems kinda bad?
Old 03-02-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 285 Likes on 210 Posts

Best Buy - ready for pick up, and the store by me is doing a midnight launch.
Mine says that too. Can I go pick it after work today, or do I have to wait until midnight?
Old 03-02-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by windom
Mine says that too. Can I go pick it after work today, or do I have to wait until midnight?
Pretty sure they can't actually sell it to you until midnight 3/3 or something. The pick up email says ready on 3/3 as well.

Although my friend said he called the store by us and they told him they would let people in around 11 or 11:30 to start processing orders.
Old 03-02-17, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Just because Best Buy has your order pulled and ready to be picked up doesn't mean you can pick it up before it's actual street date.
Old 03-02-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For those actually buying a Switch, any of you guys already preorder a case too? I still need to get one and looking at options.

Also, I know not everyone's use cases are the same, but knowing that i'm travelling a lot this month including trips to New York and the Bahamas, the idea of being able to play Zelda on the plane and away from home makes me more excited I decided to keep the Switch order.
Old 03-02-17, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a couple people camped out in from of my BB today.
Old 03-02-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 449 Posts

For those actually buying a Switch, any of you guys already preorder a case too? I still need to get one and looking at options.

Also, I know not everyone's use cases are the same, but knowing that i'm travelling a lot this month including trips to New York and the Bahamas, the idea of being able to play Zelda on the plane and away from home makes me more excited I decided to keep the Switch order.
I went with this one on amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-02-17, 09:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 887 Posts

I don't really want one that bad, but the Zelda reviews are tempting me.
Also heard (not sure if true) that my closest Best Buy will have 100 non-presale units available at midnight....

Edit: got my golden ticket! Everyone in line got one.

Last edited by Dan; 03-02-17 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 299 Likes on 219 Posts

Got to my store at just after 11. I was probably 40th in line and was the second to last person in line to get one. Have to wait til I pick up my son tomorrow to open it. Going to be a long graveyard shift of staring at the box lol.
Old 03-03-17, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also got to Best Buy a little bit after 11 and waited in line with a friend of mine. Took over 2 hours, as Best Buy had each preorder individually labeled with your name so they were slow sorting and finding your particular order. It was also just one long line for everyone including people that were buying without preorders, which was kind of annoying. It looked like they had plenty of stock for people that just lined up though, which is nice to see for a Nintendo console

Too tired to really mess with it, but will probably bring it to work and mess with it there.
Old 03-03-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The Target down the road from me had obviously been picked clean as far as hardware goes by the time I got there, but they had a bunch of pro controllers sitting out. I grabbed one, and the cashier said that hardly anyone picking up their consoles this morning were interested. I guess everyone is opting for the Joy-Cons + grip instead.

They also had at least one of those friggin' colossal Zelda Master Editions behind glass. Someone in another thread here (I think?) said that it's larger than the box for the Switch itself, and I believe it.

So, I have a controller for a system that isn't here yet. USPS is delivering the Switch, and UPS is delivering BotW and an Amiibo.
Old 03-03-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 194 Likes on 131 Posts

Strolled into my target this morning and picked up the console along with Zelda and Bomberman. I'm not really too sure that this release is setting the world on fire haha. They had a pretty decent stack of them behind the counter. That being said, there were four other people roaming around the video game area trying to find one, before we were directed over to the customer service area. Not exactly a way to move consoles when there's absolutely zero indication that they even have them in stock.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.