Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fujishig
We are getting our third switch for my daughter to have her own AC island, which meant I had to buy a second copy of the game. And I just realized that for stuff like Pokemon and Splatoon 2, even though I have the cart, I have to buy the DLC again. Ugh.
think hard about what account you use to but that DLC with. may not want to buy it with your primary, because then if someone else is using digital content on your primary switch, only your primary acct can use digital content (including that DLC) on any 1 other switch... its a PITA
Old 12-09-20, 07:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sure this question has been asked before, but I was able to find a Switch in stock and picked it up for the kiddos Christmas. What would be a good multiplayer (that could also be single player) game for an 8 and 5 year old? Looking around and want to get something only on the Switch (since we have a PS4 already). Super Mario Bros. Deluxe? Luigi's Mansion 3? Smash Bros? Something else?
Old 12-09-20, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Super Smash Bros and/or. Mario Kart would be the best picks for multi-player games for kids.
The following users liked this post:
redstang93 (12-09-20)
Old 12-09-20, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Mario Kart is perfect. my kid enjoys Mario party. if they like 2D platformers then SMB Deluxe is good too, my kid (7) can't get the hang of 2D side-scrollers though...
redstang93 (12-09-20)
Old 12-09-20, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

If the parents want to join in (with enough joycons) and you want to hate each other, I highly recommend Overcooked 1 or 2. Simple in concept, frustrating in execution, in a good, party game kind of way.

Also Puyo Puyo Tetris (2 came out just recently but 1 is fine), Kirby Star Allies, Minecraft Dungeons (or Minecraft, if they don't have these on another system), and the old standby, Snipperclips (there's a demo)
Old 12-09-20, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Heavy Burger is a really fun multiplayer game (you play as the chef from Burger Time, running through a gauntlet of other Data East arcade games) that regularly goes on sale for $2.
Old 12-09-20, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Does the Switch have to have a certain amount of battery charged to play in docked mode? I tried to fire up my Switch (I haven't played it in a couple months) and it wouldn't power up. The Nintendo screen would pop up and it would just be a blank black screen with a low battery icon in the upper left. I left the joy cons attached after taking it on a road trip and I wonder if they drained the battery. I'm going to let it charge for about thirty minutes and try it again.
Old 12-09-20, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

If the battery is completely dead you do have to let it charge a little before it'll let you play in docked or handheld while plugged in.

Similar to tablets and cellphones.
lwhy? (12-09-20)
Old 12-09-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
If the battery is completely dead you do have to let it charge a little before it'll let you play in docked or handheld while plugged in.

Similar to tablets and cellphones.
Thanks! I'm hoping that's the problem and it's not bricked since I just bought three games for it.
Old 12-09-20, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's working now. I just let the battery get too low.
RichC2 (12-09-20)
Old 12-10-20, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Got Stardew Valley. Started just clearing everything and having a blast, and every once in a while I got "tired" and it put me in bed and started a new day and off I went until it sent me to bed again. This is great, just work work work! Finally saw I had mail and checked it. You fainted, we took you to the er and charged you money. Oh well, just once, won't do it again. Charged you again. And again. Someone came and stole stuff. Stole more stuff. More stuff. Well shit.

Restarting after 20 minutes.

I love this game. This is going to be 100 hours for sure.
I love Stardew Valley. It was made by one person and he is constantly creating free updates for the game. A new update should be out in a couple months. It's the best "farming simulator" every made. It's realistic that if you pass out, you go to the hospital and have a hospital bill to pay. If you pass out away from your farm, you're mostly likely going to get robbed like you would in real life if you just passed out in a random place at night. So don't pass out. It's easy not to. The only time I passed out is when I couldn't make it home from the mines in time.
Old 12-10-20, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

PixelJunk Eden 2 is definitely hitting that itch. It's more colorful than the original which is a huge Highly recommended.
Old 12-15-20, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
PixelJunk Eden 2 is definitely hitting that itch. It's more colorful than the original which is a huge Highly recommended.
Yeah, I had no idea it even existed until a tweet from Wario 64. I'm a big fan of the original, so seeing a sequel out of the blue was a welcome surprise.
Old 12-16-20, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

After having good luck with them from the start I think my Joy Cons (more the left one) are developing the drifting issue. Noticed it while playing Super Mario Sunshine. I’d get to a platform and keep falling off the edge inadvertently.

Submitted a repair request to Nintendo, but I haven’t gotten my label yet.
Old 12-16-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Does anyone know if the Collection of SaGa/Final Fantasy Legend will get a physical release? So we can share on our three Switches? We still haven't figured out how to share digital games.
Old 12-16-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Does anyone know if the Collection of SaGa/Final Fantasy Legend will get a physical release? So we can share on our three Switches? We still haven't figured out how to share digital games.
You can share on two consoles. The one that buys the game has a primary console, and on that console any profile can play the game. On any other console, only the profile of the one that bought it can play the game (you can add your profile to as many switches as you want, but only one secondary console can play at a time).
Old 12-16-20, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

You can share on two consoles. The one that buys the game has a primary console, and on that console any profile can play the game. On any other console, only the profile of the one that bought it can play the game (you can add your profile to as many switches as you want, but only one secondary console can play at a time).
We've tried looking up the instructions to do that and I just don't get it. What am I missing?
Old 12-16-20, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
We've tried looking up the instructions to do that and I just don't get it. What am I missing?
I dunno, what have you tried? Do you know how to tell which console is your primary? You basically go into the shop, in your Account Information, and it will say if it's registered as your primary (you can deregister it if you want and choose a different one).

Put your user on both consoles. Download your games on both consoles. On the primary console, any user can play your digital games. On the other consoles, only your user can play those games.
Old 12-17-20, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Almost was going to swap my Switch for the upgraded model at GameStop yesterday, but they didn’t have any in stock. Plus they were only offering $150 in credit. I’ve heard rumblings about a possible new Switch anyways so maybe it’s better I wait.
Old 12-17-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Almost was going to swap my Switch for the upgraded model at GameStop yesterday, but they didn’t have any in stock. Plus they were only offering $150 in credit. I’ve heard rumblings about a possible new Switch anyways so maybe it’s better I wait.
Yeah, the only real gain is the battery so I would hold off for now unless it's not costing you anything.

Also, sent in my joycons (again) for repair and got it back within a week so at least they're keeping up.
Old 12-17-20, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the only real gain is the battery so I would hold off for now unless it's not costing you anything.

Also, sent in my joycons (again) for repair and got it back within a week so at least they're keeping up.
Does it take time to receive the UPS label? I requested repair on Tuesday and got confirmation, but never received the shipping label.

I’m almost tempted to just buy new Joy Cons but they’re so expensive.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-17-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-17-20, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Does it take time to receive the UPS label? I requested repair on Wednesday and got confirmation, but never received the shipping label.

I’m almost tempted to just buy new Joy Cons but they’re so expensive.
Checking...

I got the initial response with the COVID stuff at 1:09pm on 12/8. By 1:40 they had sent me another email with packaging information and saying another UPS email would come. That UPS email came within five minutes of that (this was not from noa.nintendo.com but from UPS Quantum View)

It might depend on location, but unless they got really busy in the last week that does seem like a long time. What confirmation email did you get?
Old 12-17-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Checking...

I got the initial response with the COVID stuff at 1:09pm on 12/8. By 1:40 they had sent me another email with packaging information and saying another UPS email would come. That UPS email came within five minutes of that (this was not from noa.nintendo.com but from UPS Quantum View)

It might depend on location, but unless they got really busy in the last week that does seem like a long time. What confirmation email did you get?
Just a confirmation of repair email from Nintendo with my repair order number. Tells you what to expect and whatnot.

I actually meant to say I sent the request on Tuesday not just yesterday.
Old 12-17-20, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The one that has this as a title:
Confirmation of Nintendo Repair Order #

If so, mine said this:
Printing Your Shipping Label

In a few minutes, you'll receive an email from UPS with a link to your shipping label and information on locating a UPS location.

You must print this label within 29 days of receiving the email. Once the label has been printed it will not expire.
Are you sure you didn't get an email from [email protected] with the label?
Old 12-17-20, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The one that has this as a title:
Confirmation of Nintendo Repair Order #

If so, mine said this:

Are you sure you didn't get an email from [email protected] with the label?
Yep. Just searched my mailbox and it’s not there. I get UPS emails regularly too. Might have contact support about the label.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.