Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 10-21-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by beavis69
I don't understand how an Advance Wars game (even a compilation of the games) has not come out on the Switch. An amazing series that would be perfect for the Switch. It has a big following too so I think the demand is there.
Yeah, I don't get it either. Every year or two I look to see if the series has been revived, and no.
Old 10-22-20, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I saw this story on Kotaku and wondered if you got a gig writing for them.
Well, first, no, it's not pie-cross, it's pee-cross, like she even acknowledges, picture crosswords. And Mario Picross for the Gameboy had horrible latency issues and I never finished it because it was so easy to go over a square and get a mistake and there was no turning off mistake warnings.

Cooking Mama has to be the stupidest game ever. Why on earth would you want to move a cursor up and down to simulate cutting bread? Back it goes to Gamefly.

After playing X-com through the intro fight I realized one thing: it's not that I suck at tactical games, it's that I don't even like them. Back it goes. Rabbids and FETH will be my only tactical games for now.
Old 10-22-20, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds more like Peh-cross...
Old 10-22-20, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Music
Sounds more like Peh-cross...
Around these parts you say pee-cture not peh-cture
Old 10-22-20, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Not around these parts
Old 10-22-20, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,584 Posts

They made a Fire Emblem announcement today:

Basically for the first time they are localizing the original game, which is awesome, but two annoying things:
1) They have a physical anniversary edition with a bunch of cool extras... but it comes with a digital code of the game, so no actual cart.
2) Like the mario anniversary game this is only available for a limited time. This is going to be a thing, isn't it. Ugh.
Old 10-23-20, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 989 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
They made a Fire Emblem announcement today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xNUYS-tJZQ

Basically for the first time they are localizing the original game, which is awesome, but two annoying things:
1) They have a physical anniversary edition with a bunch of cool extras... but it comes with a digital code of the game, so no actual cart.
2) Like the mario anniversary game this is only available for a limited time. This is going to be a thing, isn't it. Ugh.
Me at the beginning of the video: I have no interest in Fire Emblem
Me at the last few seconds of the video: I MUST HAVE THAT LIMITED EDITION SET WITH THE COMMEMORATIVE NES CART AND SLIPCASE!!
Old 10-24-20, 09:56 AM

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Playing smash bros a lot and recently got the online nintendo stuff. I see they do eshop deals and the one this week expires tomorrow. Been out of gaming for a few years. Any of these games on sale must haves or can anyone point me to a website that routinely discusses the weekly(?) deals?
Old 10-24-20, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,418 Likes on 4,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid
...can anyone point me to a website that routinely discusses the weekly(?) deals?
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/...-more/page-457
Old 10-27-20, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got Xenoblade 1 in the mail (2 will be here tomorrow). 45 minutes in and enjoying it so far. I'm doing casual mode. Already died once. But I don't think enemies attack you unless you engage them and I have a bit to grind yet. If I hit 20 hours I'll return it and add to my buy on sale list. Right now Best Buy has it for lowest ever at 40. I'm not sure of the difficulty level so I want to spend some time on it first. Sadly enemies don't seem to respawn and once you kill off an area it will be barren so you can't grind indefinitely, so I'm killing everything that moves. Except for the one which killed me first.
I went back and killed the bastard that killed me. That was satisfying.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-27-20 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-27-20, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid
can anyone point me to a website that routinely discusses the weekly(?) deals?
Follow @wario64 on Twitter.
Old 10-27-20, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Follow @wario64 on Twitter.
That works for deals but not necessarily discussion. Besides CAG, resetera also has an eshop discussion thread that talks about all eshop games but has opinions on games and whether digital sales are worth it (there are also independent sale threads but most of the discussion is in the eshop thread, I feel).

If you just want a list of games on sale, use dekudeals.
Old 10-29-20, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up buying Xenoblade Chronicles, almost 5 hours into it. $39.99 plus tax from Best Buy. I may keep it sealed until Thanksgiving in case they have a holiday sale and it drops in price or I may just bite the bullet and play it Second time I died, but that may be because I'm level 17 and I picked a fight with a level 81 animal.

First playthrough I'm skipping all the cutscenes and just going from goal to goal. I know I want at least two more playthroughs, one more where I do all the cutscenes and a third where I try to do all quests. I don't think I want to collect all blue orbs.

First missing Gamefly mailing, I never got Xenoblade 2. I was surprised that they would "get back with me" about the missing game vs just sending me another one. Two and a half months of using it. It should have been here Monday because it was shipped on the same day as Xenoblade 1 and that's when I got 1.

Back Xenoblade goes. If it looks like I'm gonna spend some time on the game I ship it back to Gamefly as that's just a way for me to test games before buying. So far it's just Pokemon Sword and this one that I have bought through playing and saved hundreds of dollars in blind buys that never happened.

They have movies with all the cutscenes strung together on YouTube which last about 10 hours. I may just finish the first play through and then watch it and count it as playtime. Just bought a 65 inch TV and I can't wait to get it Saturday and play it there. Also there's something about scavenging that I need to figure out how to do and do some.

Once beat can you go back on same save file and do all areas and go back and do quests?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-29-20 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-30-20, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't stop buying games Story of Seasons and Rune Factory for $24.99 each plus tax. And I still have $195 in credit in the eshop (that I got for 20 percent off). All the sales have been on physical media, hoping the eshop has some holiday sales. I have like 9 games that can easily take over 100 hours each. At least this time around I have tailored the games I do get to games I will actually sink time into and I got almost all of them on sale.
Old 10-30-20, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 835 Likes on 614 Posts

I paid $50 for Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town on release day. $24.99 is a steal. I was going to get Rune Factory 4, but it's sold out at Best Buy....
Old 10-30-20, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon just dropped Rune Factory physical to 24.99.
Old 11-02-20, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

About 8 hours into Xenoblade 1. I fell off the side and after spending five minutes falling (I get it, I get it! I'm dead!) I had to redo a whole chunk because I hadn't saved. Got to that area again and something is pushing me off the side and I die again.... then I notice the moving blades. I both hate and love this game at the same time I'm up to level 24. People who get to level 99 have put in some serious grinding.

I was fighting a group of monsters and the other two were dead so I wanted to leave to recharge and come back and I start running and run into an even bigger monster I'm like nope not this way. I successfully left and got everybody back up and back in.

I haven't done any of the tutorials or cutscenes. If I ever get real stuck I will do both of those. (and I will do them eventually) But so far I have been advancing by button mashing and reading up when I get stuck.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 11-02-20 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-02-20, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Amazon just dropped Rune Factory physical to 24.99.
I ended up getting it after it came back in stock. It should arrive this week.
Old 11-02-20, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I ended up getting it after it came back in stock. It should arrive this week.
Nice! I think I have enough games to last me til next holidays
Old 11-03-20, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Nice! I think I have enough games to last me til next holidays
Did you ever get My Time at Portia? It's been on sale for $7.49 on the Nintendo eshop.
Old 11-03-20, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Did you ever get My Time at Portia? It's been on sale for $7.49 on the Nintendo eshop.
I did when it was $9.99 when it was OMG such a good price and haven't played it yet
Old 11-06-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aaaaand I finally got stuck on Xord. I know the gist of what I have to do, use his minions to build up my joint attacks and when joint attacking use break, but no matter what I do his health doesn't move sigh. So I'm gonna go back to earlier chapter and do some quests and some grinding.

Getting Tropico 6 tomorrow and I have to test out Xeno 2 in case a sale comes out.
Old 11-12-20, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

I've been playing a fair bit of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe during the pandemic, since it's a good "pick and play for a few minutes" kind of game. Today I finally achieved three gold stars in every cup on 200cc, which felt really good. I still need to go back and get three stars on all the Mirror cups, but that 200cc accomplishment was a blast. You definitely have to master some techniques that aren't really necessary in 150cc and below.
Old 11-12-20, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 989 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I've been playing a fair bit of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe during the pandemic, since it's a good "pick and play for a few minutes" kind of game. Today I finally achieved three gold stars in every cup on 200cc, which felt really good. I still need to go back and get three stars on all the Mirror cups, but that 200cc accomplishment was a blast. You definitely have to master some techniques that aren't really necessary in 150cc and below.
Nice! I finally three starred everything in 100cc. I think I gold trophy'd everything in 150 cc and 200 cc. Who did you use for 200 cc? What kind of techniques are you talking about? Like actually hitting the brakes once in awhile? I think what kills me is it's much harder to pull away from the pack at 200 cc so you're always involved in all the chaos of the items. So just one random slipup of the three races even if you have a perfect run otherwise is all it takes to ruin your chances of three starring the cup.
Old 11-12-20, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

I'm late on this but I'm so happy that No More Heroes & No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle were given a release on Switch!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.