DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Dammit now I have to get online
Old 09-15-20, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm not sure what's more surprising: that Nintendo allowed a game named SCAT to come out or that they actually brought it back for their service.
Old 09-15-20, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm not sure what's more surprising: that Nintendo allowed a game named SCAT to come out or that they actually brought it back for their service.
Have you seen some of the questionable stuff on the eshop? Waifu(sp)? and a lot of other games of that nature. Oh and also Night Trap is on a Nintendo system now.
Old 09-15-20, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Have you seen some of the questionable stuff on the eshop? Waifu(sp)? and a lot of other games of that nature. Oh and also Night Trap is on a Nintendo system now.
I mean, I'm not sure anyone should miss out on the brilliance of Safety First:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...-first-switch/

Magical Yellow Repair Liquid Indeed.

I remember when I was young and naive and thought the Nintendo Seal of Quality was like a sign of quality and not just a way for them to extort money from developers. I think in the NES games the President of Nintendo approved each game, which obviously is not the case anymore.
Old 09-18-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Guys, if you haven't already played them on Steam or Xbox, I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Ori games on the Switch!

The second one was just released for the Switch today, and it's a masterpiece!

Old 09-18-20, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Has Nintendo resumed repairing the drift in joycons yet?
Old 09-18-20, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Has Nintendo resumed repairing the drift in joycons yet?
Yes. And the turn-around time was super-quick, like less than two weeks.
Old 09-18-20, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yes. And the turn-around time was super-quick, like less than two weeks.
Great, we'll look into now, thanks
Old 09-18-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After hating nsmbud, ssb, and Mario Odyssey, FINALLY found a game I'm keeping more than a day, Splatoon 2. Gonna do the one week free Nintendo Online trial. It's fun so far, though. Have BOTW in the mail, will prob get it Monday.

19 puzzles or so out of 485 for Picross S3, it's gonna be just over 30 hours. The puzzles got harder.
Old 09-19-20, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently Splatoon 2, Mario Maker 2 and Yoshi are going to be on sale for $39.99 at Target starting Sunday.
Old 09-19-20, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently Splatoon 2, Mario Maker 2 and Yoshi are going to be on sale for $39.99 at Target starting Sunday.
Lowest price has been 30. I'm gonna keep it a month and see if I'm still playing. There's a solo mode but I haven't figured out how to do it. Played a few battles and that was fun.

I found out that I hate Pokemon for the Switch and now I'm at a quandary if I can make myself play it for pogo.

Finished Picross 3. 32.5 hours. On to Depixtion. I'm a third of the way through but the puzzles get increasingly bigger, from 12 to 20 plus minutes per puzzle and I have about 65 puzzles to go.
Old 09-19-20, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So has anyone else (NOT Deb) checked out Hades? It really isnít my type of game being both hard and Rogue like, but this game is special. Really well made and fun. And dying all the time isnít the end of the world as you keep powering up and advancing the story. Itís a cool game and I love that it has a launch sale ($19.99 instead of $24.99 for the first week or two). Made by the Bastion and Transistor guys, has been in Early Access on Steam for over a year to iron out bugs. Itís really well reviewed. I tried it and I suck. But hopefully will get better.

Old 09-19-20, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

I love Supergiant. All 3 of their games (Bastion, Transistor, Pyre) are some of my favorites of the years they came out but I have no interest in Hades and reviews and gameplay footage is doing nothing to change my opinions on roguelikes.
Old 09-20-20, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

(NOT Deb)

Focusing on Depixtion now. 96 color picross puzzles. Right now I did one of the 24x24 ones and it took me one HOUR two minutes. They're three puzzles in one really as you have to do three layers per puzzle of two colors each. There's 24 of the 24x24 ones. I paid $5.13 for it on sale. I hated it as first as it was too easy and I thought the three layers per puzzle was gimicky but now it's one of my favorite picross games. I've never done 24x24 color ones. I have progressive bifocals and I have to hit it right on one spot to be able to see that small (the TV is too small (32 inches) and too far to use the dock). I want to buy the two pic-a-pix main packs so I can get the big puzzles DLCs (I want to see how long 35x40 takes me) but they're not on sale and I told myself no full-price picross until I finish the ones I have (all bought on sale). I also have Nazarick which if you ignore the ridiculous anime rpg story is a great picross game and Kemono which is just a Picross S game with less play modes. I also have my eye on Voxelgram, the 3D Picross game, and Fill-a-pic, which is Nurikabe (I looooooove Nurikabe). I also love Kendoku but that lends itself better to a phone or paper environment.

With Depixtion I was at first like only two colors per layer? That's a piece of cake. What's so hard about two colors? Well...it's hard. Really well-constructed puzzles. It's so hard to find Picross that feels right, I have never been able to find it on the phone. The 3DS and the switch shine in this area.
Old 09-20-20, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So has anyone else (NOT Deb) checked out Hades? It really isnít my type of game being both hard and Rogue like, but this game is special. Really well made and fun. And dying all the time isnít the end of the world as you keep powering up and advancing the story. Itís a cool game and I love that it has a launch sale ($19.99 instead of $24.99 for the first week or two). Made by the Bastion and Transistor guys, has been in Early Access on Steam for over a year to iron out bugs. Itís really well reviewed. I tried it and I suck. But hopefully will get better.

https://youtu.be/NDMXQo_LalQ
I really like it. It's more of a rogue lite instead of a rogue like because you keep progression when you die, but that's fine with me, and it does make things easier over time.

Here are some tips from kotaku for early gameplay (some of it is meaningless like "talk to everyone" but it does also include recommendations on which things to target first):
https://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-hades-1845096466

Old 09-21-20, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So writing about Kendoku here got me motivated to look for a Kendoku game in the eshop and there is -none- but I got recommended by the system to try out Hexalogic for 29 cents. Lowest price ever according to Deku Deals so I went for it (using gold coins so "free"). I'm about a third of the way in ten minutes but I'm sure the 100 puzzles get harder but even at half an hour I'd consider it worth it. It's a make these rows of hexes add up to this number but they added a twist in that there's some hexes that if you fill one with one particular number, the other grouped hexes (which are not adjacent) get the number. Who knows what future levels may bring.