Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

There’s a Zelda bundle at Urban Outfitters that they’re considering. Apparently a bunch went up at Amazon around 3 AM, but they were long gone by the time I woke up.

Oh, and Lites are everywhere, but they’d want to play on a TV.
Old 03-22-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Everywhere I went in the last week had plenty of Lites. I haven't checked since I bought my console last week though.

You could go used. Do you have a GameXchange near you? LetGo always seems to have a few on it near me. Craigslist could be an option too. Same for Facebook marketplace. You might get "lucky" and find a new one via scalpers on any of these sites. Of course then you're looking at a mark up.
Old 03-22-20, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I know they may not want to venture outside, but Walmart and Target had some on the shelf this afternoon. Maybe they could do curbside pickup? I will mention the ones at Walmart were the new red box version, while the one at Target was the original box version.
Old 03-22-20, 07:16 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Picked up a gray Switch Lite last night with Animal Crossing from Best Buy. Have yet to do an account/console transfer.

My wife loves the Lite and has been playing it quite a bit.
Old 03-24-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Nintendo has refurbished Switches available on their website for $260 if they want to go that route.
Old 03-24-20, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Nintendo has refurbished Switches available on their website for $260 if they want to go that route.
I would suspect that these are the older ones without the better battery, so keep that in mind (at least until people prove otherwise).
Old 03-26-20, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Panzer Dragoon is out today!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Panzer Dragoon is out today!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks neat but maybe not $25 neat. I can wait for a price drop.
Old 03-28-20, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know I'm a year late to the party but man, Yoshi's Crafted World is simply amazing. I liked Yoshi's Wooly World, but there's something about this one that is just more charming to me. It's been awhile since a game sucked me in enough to collect everything (normally Tomb Raider does but the last one was lacking). Now I'm worried about the paperweight the Switch might become once I'm done with this one. Hopefully Nintendo has a sale on one of the other games on my wishlist.
Old 03-28-20, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I liked Wooly World a lot more - I devoured WW all in one go, with Crafted World, I got a little bored with it a few levels in and stopped. I have every intention of getting back to it, it just didn't grab me the same way.
Old 03-28-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think I ever finished Wooly World.
Old 03-28-20, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I'm with slop Crafted World is great but Wooly World is amazing.
Old 03-30-20, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

So rumor has it Nintendo is putting a bunch of Mario games on Switch for the 35th Anniversary of the character. Supposedly Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario 3D World. Also maybe a new Paper Mario game.

The year of Mario: A ton of classic 3D games reportedly coming to Switch in 2020

According to a flurry of Monday morning reports, Super Mario is coming back in 2020 in a huge way. And it's mostly about reliving the Nintendo mascot's 3D era on Nintendo Switch.

The first rumor domino to fall came from VGC, which pushed forward with a report suggesting "most of Super Mario's 35-year back catalog" would arrive on Nintendo Switch by the end of 2020, according to "multiple sources." Nintendo had originally planned to make a physical event out of the announcement during this summer's E3, VGC reported, but E3 2020 was canceledearlier this month in the wake of organizational woes and coronavirus concerns.

VGC was able to report on one specific game coming to Nintendo Switch, but it wasn't a remaster. Instead, VGC suggested that the Paper Mario action-RPG series would receive a new entry in 2020.

Soon after, Eurogamer and Gematsu pushed their own reports and named games, also citing "multiple sources." Eurogamer came forward suggesting Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D World would receive proper re-releases, while Gematsu added Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine to the list of expected re-releases. Most classic 3D Mario games have never received a retail or Virtual Console re-release treatment, with Super Mario 64 and its DS remake as exceptions, while the majority of Mario's 2D exploits are currently available on Switch's NES and SNES archives, available to paying Nintendo Switch Online subscribers.

Due to the limited nature of these rumors, we're left wondering exactly what shape these classic Mario games will arrive in. Eurogamer alleges that Super Mario 3D World will launch with "an array of new levels," but these could either be brand-new or adapted from the similar, 3DS-only entry Super Mario 3D Land (or both). Meanwhile, both Gematsu and Eurogamer mention "high-definition remasters" for older games in the list, but it's unclear whether these will simply up-res existing assets or include any wholly new content (textures, character models, visual effects).

We've already seen what Super Mario Galaxycould look like on Nintendo Switch thanks to a 2018 China-only port of the game for the Nvidia Shield platform; that system's hardware is nearly identical to Nintendo Switch. That classic game's newer version mostly looks identical to its Wii predecessor, save a resolution bump, but it also benefits from a complete controller revision—meaning, no more Wii-mote waggle. We hope Nintendo considers the same control tweak for a Switch port.

All of this news makes a certain corporate-synergy sense in 2020, as VGC points to Nintendo's interest in promoting its relationship with Universal Studios. A series of Super Mario World attractions are set to open at various Universal Studios theme parks (exactly when is unclear, however), while the Super Mario feature-length, CGI film has remained under a veil of secrecy since its 2017 reveal. (Its last release estimate was "2022.") A huge summer 2020 announcement slew of Switch games would be a great moment for Nintendo and Universal to show more of those properties off. (By then, we hope Lego's Super Mario series will have launched, as well.)

When asked to comment on Monday's reports, a Nintendo representative replied via email: "We have nothing to announce on that topic."
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...witch-in-2020/
Old 03-31-20, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So... parenting help.

#1. I have my account on the Switch with a Nintendo Online sub. Do all the other accounts on the system automatically have online access? (it appears not)

#2. In order for my daughters to have their own friends lists under their avatar(or play online), I have to create them their own separate Nintendo account to link to?

Am I missing something here?
Old 03-31-20, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So... parenting help.

#1. I have my account on the Switch with a Nintendo Online sub. Do all the other accounts on the system automatically have online access? (it appears not)

#2. In order for my daughters to have their own friends lists under their avatar(or play online), I have to create them their own separate Nintendo account to link to?

Am I missing something here?
You want a nintendo family account, which lets you have up to 8 users. Last I remember there's no way to switch so hopefully you're month to month.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/pricing/

It's cheaper than two accounts, basically 34.99 a year compared to 19.99 for one user.

And yes they need their own separate nintendo account. I believe the family account lets you create a supervised user but honestly I'm not sure I'd bother with that, as long as they have an email account they can use they can create a nintendo account.
Old 03-31-20, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for the quick reply. I signed up for individual, but it looks like there is an easy way to switch now.

1. Select Nintendo eShop on the HOME Menu of your Nintendo Switch to launch the Nintendo eShop.
  2. Select the account that has the individual membership.
  3. Select Nintendo Switch Online on the left side of the screen.
  4. Select Membership Options to see the current membership pricing and plans, including the regular price of a family membership and the price you will pay after your discount is applied.
  5. Select Proceed to Purchase next to the family membership pricing.
Old 03-31-20, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

That's nice. When I signed up I just had to eat the $20 I had already paid for an individual plan
Old 03-31-20, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yep. I was happy to see that after fujishig's post. They prorate it too so it's not just a simple $15 charge of the difference. I've only been on for two weeks so my charge was actually $17.50 and my new expiration date is today.
Old 04-14-20, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If anyone's been waiting on labo but is even partially interested, the four sets are 20 bucks each on BB deal of the day:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...=960&keys=keys
Old 04-14-20, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These darn drifting joy cons. I have 4 that constantly act up. Nintendo service is closed. Any proven home remedies? I've tried contact cleaner but it only works for a day if I'm lucky.

Did they fix in production? Do newer ones still have the same issue?

Thanks
Old 04-14-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gooter
These darn drifting joy cons. I have 4 that constantly act up. Nintendo service is closed. Any proven home remedies? I've tried contact cleaner but it only works for a day if I'm lucky.

Did they fix in production? Do newer ones still have the same issue?

Thanks
They haven't to my knowledge fixed anything, and I live in constant fear that my Lite will have similar issues.

I didn't realize they closed service but that makes sense, I don't think there's any other remedy besides contact cleaner or replacing them outright, especially if they're that bad. You can probably buy replacement joysticks from amazon if you want to try them, but they are all the same design with the same flaws.
Old 04-14-20, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I hadn’t realized that was still an issue on the newer Joy Cons. I’m lucky and either don’t have the issue on my launch Switch or it doesn’t bother me. I don’t think I’ve really noticed them drifting though. My issue more is sometimes the directional buttons aren’t always the most responsive, but that may be from being mashed.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-14-20 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-14-20, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Nintendo Switch system update adds button remapping, SD card transfers.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/14/21...tton-remapping

Old 04-14-20, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know about drifting but I have had some lag, most notably on my new set (orange & purple). First, it's limited to the X,Y,A,B buttons on the right joy con. Second, It seems to be limited to playing a single player game like Yoshi where you are using both joy cons together. I have yet to have an issue using the same joy cons in Mario Party where you use the joy cons separately. The Animal Crossing joy cons don't seem to suffer the same issue.

I did read that moving the dock/console further from other electronics works, especially routers (which mine is in the same media rack/setup). I moved mine about a foot and half from where it was and things have seemingly improved, but completely though. I have some longer HDMI cables laying around so at some point I'm gonna move it even further to see if that completely solves it.
Old 04-14-20, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't know about drifting but I have had some lag, most notably on my new set (orange & purple). First, it's limited to the X,Y,A,B buttons on the right joy con. Second, It seems to be limited to playing a single player game like Yoshi where you are using both joy cons together. I have yet to have an issue using the same joy cons in Mario Party where you use the joy cons separately. The Animal Crossing joy cons don't seem to suffer the same issue.

I did read that moving the dock/console further from other electronics works, especially routers (which mine is in the same media rack/setup). I moved mine about a foot and half from where it was and things have seemingly improved, but completely though. I have some longer HDMI cables laying around so at some point I'm gonna move it even further to see if that completely solves it.
Is there lag even when the joycons are physically connected to the switch (ie: portable mode)?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.