Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 665 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by PerryD
I think there will be Animal Crossing Switches available in store at places like Walmart and Target if you go when the store opens on Friday. Walmart's page is showing in stock at my local Walmart.
You could also check BrickSeek to see who has it in stock.
https://brickseek.com/p/nintendo-swi...ossing/8746626
Old 03-09-20, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts

Hmm, guess I could hit Wal-mart Thursday at Midnight. It's showing 4-5 in stock at multiple Wal-marts near me. I'm assuming they're locked up in the back and not on shelves.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Nintendo has stated that they're not intending to release an updated Switch this year:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...nned-for-2020/

The only thing special about the Animal Crossing Switch was the designs on it. You can buy official skins if you want to make a regular Switch or a Switch Lite Animal Crossing themed:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/an.../1100-6473887/
https://animalcrossingworld.com/2020...ntroller-gear/
Don't care about Animal Crossing in the least. I just like the joycon colors.

As far as a Pro, I don't really believe executives. They want you to buy a console today, not 6 months from now, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by PerryD
I think there will be Animal Crossing Switches available in store at places like Walmart and Target if you go when the store opens on Friday. Walmart's page is showing in stock at my local Walmart.
Next Friday the 20th, correct?
Old 03-09-20, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hmm, guess I could hit Wal-mart Thursday at Midnight.

Don't care about Animal Crossing in the least. I just like the joycon colors.

As far as a Pro, I don't really believe executives. They want you to buy a console today, not 6 months from now, but we'll see.
The one caveat to that is that Nintendo doesn't want to lie to investors. A "minor" revision like the extended battery switch is one thing, but a major Pro revision seems like something they'd want to reveal.
Old 03-09-20, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

True. I did see something about a battery revision. Is it safe to assume the AC console will have the new battery? I'd assume so but you never know with these companies anymore.
Old 03-09-20, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

True. I did see something about a battery revision. Is it safe to assume the AC console will have the new battery? I'd assume so but you never know with these companies anymore.
I haven't seen anyone but those Nintendo Switch guys (the one with their own channel on the Switch) pop one open, so I'm not sure if we know for sure, but I'd assume so because these have to be specially manufactured, unlike those Mario Kart bundles over Xmas that seemed to just be old stock that was repackaged.

However, the joycons will still be crappy, to my knowledge they still haven't redesigned those. And that would be a pain to replace because I'm not 100% sure they'll send it back when you send them in to replace the sticks.
Old 03-09-20, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
The one caveat to that is that Nintendo doesn't want to lie to investors. A "minor" revision like the extended battery switch is one thing, but a major Pro revision seems like something they'd want to reveal.
Forget about "want," lying to investors is straight up illegal. Now, their statement to investors was couched in terms like "currently" and "plans," so there's room for plans to eventually change, but it also means that what they stated is true: at the moment, they don't plan on releasing an updated version in 2020. There's no lie there, and while its a bit short of an absolute guarantee that there won't be one, there'd likely have to be some major shifts within the company to fast-track a new console this year.

And when you think about it, it makes sense there wouldn't be one. Sony and MS are releasing new consoles this year, so any new console from Nintendo would be inevitably compared to those, and come up short. Plus, as evident from the presales of the Harvest Moon edition, people are buying Switches for the games, and maybe also its portability (Switch Lite), not for high performance.

Finally, the coronovirus will likely keep Nintendo from making changes to its current plans, as there's speculation that there will be short term shortages of some electronics, and that it could go on for months, potentially even affecting the PS5 and Series X. Best to just sit this year out in terms of new consoles, and just ride the still strong sales of the current one.
Old 03-10-20, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmm, guess I could hit Wal-mart Thursday at Midnight. It's showing 4-5 in stock at multiple Wal-marts near me.
Does hitting Walmart at midnight only work at the walmarts that are open 24hours a day? All the walmarts near me close at midnight
Old 03-10-20, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No idea. They're all 24 hours around here. You might have to give them a call.
Old 03-12-20, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So I've been watching the tracker. All the WM's near me showed 5+ copies the other day. Last night all but one showed limited quantities so I assume they started selling early. So I decided to call the two closest to me. Tried both locations for a half hour. No one was answering the phone. So I headed to both. First location the younger guy said they sold out already. Bummer.

Location #2 was showing 5+. I get there and some 65-75 year old woman was manning electronics. I knew I was in trouble. I asked her about the console and proceeds to lead me to the bluetooth speaker aisle to check. So I lead her to the Switch area to show her an empty case.

Her: "If it's not here, we must be out."
Me: It's a new item it could still be in the back.
Her: ... stares at me confusingly *awkward pause
Me: Do you mind checking?
Her: I guess. (proceeds to call someone else and ask)
Radio person: Animal Crossing? I think that's supposed to be a popular game so if it's not in the case we don't have it. *click
Me: I'm not looking for a game, I'm looking for a console.
Her... stares at me confusingly *awkward pause
Me: This has been thoroughly unhelpful, thanks anyway.

First, who doesn't go check stock for a $300+ sale? Didn't even look it up in the system. Second, who puts a 70 year old woman in charge of a department who probably doesn't even know what a Nintendo is?

It's no wonder Amazon is so huge. Hopefully I'm luckier tonight.
Old 03-12-20, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Location 2 is actually honoring the release date. Try there tomorrow, on release day.
Old 03-12-20, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's what I was thinking and the current plan
Old 03-13-20, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I heard a bunch of the Walmarts systems got screwed up and they werent releasing the console until the 20th.

I ended up getting an Animal Crossing Switch Console last night. My wife checked the Target app at 10:05pm california time and they showed as available for pick up from the Target a block from our house but trying to buy it brought up a "sorry we;re busy, try again" message. So i also brought it up on my phone's target app and ended up getting thought to the payment screen and was allowed to buy it. My wife switched her app to look at a different local target and was able to get one.
The Target by my house is open until 11 and around 10:30 I got an email saying the Switch was ready to pick up. I ran over and got it. The gal at the online order counter was all like 'Wow! you got one!"
My wife then cancelled her order at the other Target. I was just happy I didnt have to get up early to try Walmart at 6am or stand in line at Target for an 8 am opening.

Now I am a guy with 5 switches in his house, haha.
Old 03-13-20, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I managed to get one. Went to the WM that showed the most stock and I forgot it was the one with the clueless old lady. Walked in and she was there again so I checked the display case and left. Wasn't battling her again.

Went to another WM and scored.
Old 03-13-20, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon has the AC switch in stock as of right now.
Old 03-13-20, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Amazon has the AC switch in stock as of right now.
Yeah. For $500.
Old 03-13-20, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Yeah. For $500.
No it was retail 300 for a little over an hour (going by Wario64's posts)
Old 03-13-20, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So Tetris 99 is free with online? That's pretty sweet.

Nabbed Yoshi's Crafted World since it's on sale. It's adorable. I might grab Mario Party since it's on sale too. I've been playing MP2 on the N64 with my daughter lately. I think that was the last Mario Party I spent any real time playing. I never liked 3 and then I didn't play another one until the Wii? Yeah, been awhile. lol

I put Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3 on the wishlist for a later sale. Anything else of note I should put on the wishlist? I'm not really into the WiiU dump pile as I played most of the big titles (except for Captain Toad) on the WiiU.

Lastly, still no Pikmin 4 announcement? Miyamoto said it was near completion in 2015.
Old 03-13-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,071 Likes on 849 Posts

Tetris 99 was like crack for a solid 10 months for me
Old 03-14-20, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

So Tetris 99 is free with online? That's pretty sweet.

Nabbed Yoshi's Crafted World since it's on sale. It's adorable. I might grab Mario Party since it's on sale too. I've been playing MP2 on the N64 with my daughter lately. I think that was the last Mario Party I spent any real time playing. I never liked 3 and then I didn't play another one until the Wii? Yeah, been awhile. lol

I put Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3 on the wishlist for a later sale. Anything else of note I should put on the wishlist? I'm not really into the WiiU dump pile as I played most of the big titles (except for Captain Toad) on the WiiU.

Lastly, still no Pikmin 4 announcement? Miyamoto said it was near completion in 2015.
How old is your daughter? I haven't played MP yet but heard it wasn't the best. My 8 yo daughter has thoroughly enjoyed playing Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3 co-op with me so you might consider putting those towards the top of your list.
Old 03-14-20, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

She's 13 and good to know on MP. Aren't all the MP games typically average anyway? I know they pump them out like Call of Duty.
Old 03-20-20, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

She's 13 and good to know on MP. Aren't all the MP games typically average anyway? I know they pump them out like Call of Duty.
Some are better than others, the last couple of ones have been kinda tired. I'll have to ask my wife which ones she would recommend.

---------

Anyways, who else is excited for Doom64 to hit the e-shop? I'll be downloading tonight and blasting demons while my family takes care of their new villages.
Old 03-20-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

Heads up to Corvin and anyone else who doesn't own it : Octopath Traveler is 50% off, on sale for $29.99 currently at the eShop. It's a fantastic, fun and accessible JRPG and I can't recommend it highly enough
Old 03-20-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been using this site to track Switch game sales. It tracks physical copy prices as well as eShop prices:
https://www.dekudeals.com/

Some really cheap games right now.

Drawful 2 $0.09
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/drawful-2-switch/

Conduct TOGETHER! $0.01
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...gether-switch/

Watermelon Party $0.03
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...-party-switch/

NoReload Heroes (4 player) $0.99
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...heroes-switch/

Pikuniku $0.99
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pikuniku-switch/

Grab Lab $0.49
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/grab-lab-switch/

Quest for the Golden Duck $0.49
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...n-duck-switch/

NO THING $0.19

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/no-thing-switch/

Not as cheap, but on sale:

Baba Is You - $11.25
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...is-you-switch/
Old 03-22-20, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Thanks to the siren song of Animal Crossing (and...y'know, not being able to really go outside), my in-laws are desperate for a Switch (not a Switch Lite), and they're all just gone. Aside from resellers, I can't find anyone who has a console ready to ship. The nearest Gamestop with one handy is 100 miles away (and used, besides). No dice at amazon.com, gamestop.com, target.com (OOS nearby), bestbuy.com (OOS nearby), walmart.com (there is one nearby store with some in-stock, but my family's too bunkered down to do in-store pickup), deepdiscount.com, kohls.com (based on a tip on Twitter), bhphotovideo.com, newegg.com, or nintendo.com.

(Edited for fun! I also tried every big box clothing retailer I could think of -- sears.com, jcpenney.com, belk.com, dillards.com, macys.com, tjmaxx.com -- and, since my stepfather-in-law was in the Navy, even mynavyexchange.com. Still nothin' outside of Lites, bundles, or marked-up resellers.)

Edit #2: They've decided even a normal price one is more money than they're comfortable spending right now, so I guess I can call off the search.
Old 03-22-20, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They said something a while ago when the factories started being impacted that supply was going to be tight around the time the AC switch was coming out. Though I'm surprised there are no lites

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.