Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 11-13-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Nothing official. Maybe in a year as that is how some of these third party exclusivity deals work.
Nintendo helped produce this one so it's not going anywhere else.
Old 12-02-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's a good sale price on joy cons? I'm looking for a set for the kids for Christmas. Don't really care which color, just whatever is cheap.
Old 12-02-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon right now has a set of gray joycons for 66.99 rather than the regular price of 79.99.
Old 12-03-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
What's a good sale price on joy cons? I'm looking for a set for the kids for Christmas. Don't really care which color, just whatever is cheap.
They were on sale for about $59/pair at a few places around BF.
Old 12-04-19, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-05-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
They were on sale for about $59/pair at a few places around BF.
Good deal, it looks like Walmart had the gray pair for that price so I placed an order. Thanks.
Old 12-05-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looking forward to Kirby Super Star - never played it. Maybe Breath Of Fire II, too.

Last edited by EinCB; 12-05-19 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-05-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The NES controllers are half off now (29.99, but 5 bucks shipping) for nintendo online members, limit 1.
Old 12-05-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tempting, but Iím waiting on the SNES controller to be restocked. Overall I kinda like the design better plus it should work with both the NES and SNES games.
Old 12-05-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Tempting, but Iím waiting on the SNES controller to be restocked. Overall I kinda like the design better plus it should work with both the NES and SNES games.
The NES controller is a cool bit on nostalgia, but yeah the SNES is way better. Plus easier to charge.
Old 12-12-19, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not much of a deal, but you can redeem 100 platinum coins through My Nintendo for a 7 day trial of Nintendo Switch Online.
Old 12-12-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With Christmas around the corner, I wonder if any of you that have a Nintendo Switch Lite would mind answering a few questions.

When I open it up on Christmas Morning, will I be able to put my account info and online info in the system and all of my gave saves be there, or will I have to start all over? Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old 12-12-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
With Christmas around the corner, I wonder if any of you that have a Nintendo Switch Lite would mind answering a few questions.

When I open it up on Christmas Morning, will I be able to put my account info and online info in the system and all of my gave saves be there, or will I have to start all over? Thank you for any help you can provide.
You have to do a data transfer using both the old system and the new Lite. Kinda annoying but I don't recall it being too time consuming. Just make sure you don't wipe/reset the old system before you do this.
Old 12-12-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you have nintendo online? If so, for the vast majority of the games you can use cloud saves, though you have to do it manually game by game.

You can move your profile from one switch to another which includes saves, but then your profile and saves will be removed from the original console.

Also, you'll have to download all of your games/updates/DLC again. Even if you're using a memory card, you can't just move it from one switch to another, you have to download everything again. This is probably the most time consuming part if you have digital games.

I'd recommend opening it up now and doing the gruntwork before your kids (or whoever) gets to open it. Nintendo consoles aren't even sealed so you can put it back when you're done, plus you can get it charged.
Old 12-12-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.
Old 12-13-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay guys, can you walk me through what to do for the new Lite Switch I bought for my son for Xmas? I have some games on carts but a lot of game digitally he likes to play (esp Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem : Three houses). How can he play them on his system? He has to be online at all times in order to play them, right?
I don't really get the rules with this.
Old 12-13-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay guys, can you walk me through what to do for the new Lite Switch I bought for my son for Xmas? I have some games on carts but a lot of game digitally he likes to play (esp Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem : Three houses). How can he play them on his system? He has to be online at all times in order to play them, right?
I don't really get the rules with this.
One switch is the primary switch. You can change this at any time via the eshop. Every other switch is the secondary switch(es).

On the primary switch: you can play any game you bought digitally. Any other profile can play any game that you bought digitally.
On the other switches: You can play any game you bought digitally. You must sign in to the internet so that it can check that you are authorized to play and are not already playing the game on your profile on another switch. You cannot play your digital games with another profile. So anyone that wants to play your digital games has to use your profile (and hope that you aren't playing the same game at the same time)

So basically if you and your son wanted to play the same game:
He has to login to your primary switch and play the game
You can login to your secondary switch and play the same game (since your profile can play anywhere)
You can play online together, however you cannot play wifi co-op for some reason.

People get confused by this and blame nintendo, but really it's not all that different from PSN or Xbox where you cannot just play the same game on like 10 systems at once. It just seems worse on a portable system.
Old 12-13-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. Okay. So I have to make his Switch Lite the Primary Switch for him to continue to play his digital games on his system under his profile and I make the main Switch the secondary one? And if I travel, then I go to the eShop and change my Switch to the primary one (which I can do at any time)?

Are these instructions anywhere online? It's pretty confusing.
Old 12-13-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. Okay. So I have to make his Switch Lite the Primary Switch for him to continue to play his digital games on his system under his profile and I make the main Switch the secondary one? And if I travel, then I go to the eShop and change my Switch to the primary one (which I can do at any time)?

Are these instructions anywhere online? It's pretty confusing.
There are various guides on the internet but here's the Nintendo FAQ:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo...ail/a_id/22448

Couple of other things to note: you can transfer your profile/saves manually from one switch to another (it does not keep a copy in both places) but it's not an ideal way to keep things in sync:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo...ansfer%20saves

If you already have nintendo online, then for the vast majority of games you can use the cloud saves. However by default your kid's profile won't have cloud saves unless he's on a family plan (or has his own online sub). The cloud saves will automatically back up as long as it doesn't detect a conflicting save on the cloud server. You will then have to go to your second console (if you want to resume play there) and download the save. Which also isn't ideal, but it's something.

Game saves are on the console's internal drive only, so you can't transfer saves via card. In fact, you can't transfer a card from one switch to the next because digital games when downloaded are only authorized on one system. Which basically just means you have to download all your games again, so you should start now before Xmas.

Y
Old 12-13-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Though at least I already have the Nintendo Online Family plan, so game saves can be switched back and forth. But what a huge pain in the ass this sounds like.
Old 12-13-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Having kids? Yes you did.
Old 12-13-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought a switch lite for Xmas with perhaps the same intentions as you, Decker, to give it to my kids. The monopolize the switch now. I actually preordered the pokemon one and intended to cancel but it went through.

But I'm setting it up with the regular switch as the primary and this as the secondary, and keeping the lite as my primary console. There are just too many docked games that they would want to play together on their own profiles: Minecraft, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Ring Fit; so I figured it's better to keep the one that can attach to the TV as the kid's console, while the single player jrpgs and the like I can just play on the lite. I mean, I'm still going to position it as a gift for the family but that's probably how it'll work out.
Old 12-13-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Our original docked Switch is going to stay as our primary one. My daughter can have the lite all to herself. She very seldom, if ever plays it on the TV anyway. I hope now that we will have two systems I will actually get to play it.
Old 12-13-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Our original docked Switch is going to stay as our primary one. My daughter can have the lite all to herself. She very seldom, if ever plays it on the TV anyway. I hope now that we will have two systems I will actually get to play it.
Does she only play physical games on it or does she play downloaded ones as well?