Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Even if a lot of features are missing from the initial Nintendo Switch on the Lite, I'm glad there is another option for folks who want to pick one up.

I'll be honest, a part of me is glad that this version has many features I enjoy missing, as I love my current Switch and wasn't ready to upgrade already

I will say though that Pokemon Sword/Shield Lite looks awesome!
Old 07-11-19, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I really want one but the deciding factor will be if Nintendo lets me keep my downloaded games and game save progress from the Switch we have now. I could see Nintendo not letting any of that carry over to the Switch Lite.
Old 07-11-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I haven't used mine in docked or detached mode in a year, so I may pick one up depending on how the accounts wind up working.
Old 07-11-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
The 3DS launched at $249 so I don't understand the price complaints. That's not a bad price for a souped up handheld. I only play docked with a pro controller so I have no interest in it but it's good that they are giving people options.
I agree with you that the price is fine, but I wouldn't use the 3ds launch as a reference point, they dropped the price almost immediately and had to give the early adopters that ambassador program stuff to make up for it.

You can transfer accounts and saves over from one switch to another but it would be a hassle to transfer back and forth all the time. The games that utilize cloud saves will let you transfer the save over, though not all games have it (pokemon is sure not to, in fact). Digital games can be accessed on a secondary system but only by the user that "owns" them. So it's much better than, say, the 3ds days, but still not that convenient.

Considering the port is still on the bottom for charging, besides cost cutting I feel like the main reason they dropped tv compatibility is to not undercut the regular switch.

The other thing is, the drifting joycon stick issues are a design problem, and they better have fixed that with this console.
Old 07-11-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm envious of the real D-pad on the Lite. Wish my Switch's joycon had that.
Old 07-11-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
I'm envious of the real D-pad on the Lite. Wish my Switch's joycon had that.
If you just want one for attached mode (like the Lite) just spend 15 to 20 bucks on a Hori one at Target. Seems fine to me.
Old 07-11-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
Can anyone confirm for me that Nintendo's digital policies are still completely borked? As in, if I buy a Switch Lite and want to get a full-fat TV Switch later, I will not be able to conveniently run digital games I have bought on either machine at my leisure?
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think as long as you have Nintendo Online then you can do that with no problem.
Old 07-12-19, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Tetris 99 is Splatoon 2 themed for the weekend. Hurray slight differences!
Old 07-12-19, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think as long as you have Nintendo Online then you can do that with no problem.
So being able to own both consoles and swap between would require their paid service?
Old 07-12-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
So being able to own both consoles and swap between would require their paid service?
No, you can transfer your entire user (and saves) from one switch to another without the paid service:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo...your-user-data

However, this is not something you want to do every day, since it's a bit unwieldy. If you do have the service, the cloud saves will automatically back up and transfer saves between systems, however not all games use cloud saves. This includes Splatoon 2 and the Let's Go Pokemon games, so I'm assuming it will also include the new Pokemon games once they come out.

New NOA president Doug Bowser said they're working on a system to make it easier but no details yet:

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-s...connect-to-tv/

But it could also be the perfect second Switch for a house that already owns one. Like, one for the kids, or the gaming equivalent of a two-car garage. "You're absolutely right, I could see this fitting into a household where there are multiple players ... and one flagship Nintendo Switch," Nintendo's Bowser says.

I could see myself wanting to take the smaller Switch on trips while leaving the household Switch behind. But then, how would I transfer games between systems? Nintendo hasn't made it easy to do that, but there might be a solution coming.

"Yes, you will have the ability to transfer between devices, your gameplay experiences. More to come on there, but that is the intention," Bowser told me. Could that be the multidevice account solution I've been waiting for? Maybe Nintendo has a plan in place to make it easier to switch Switches.
If they perfect this, I'll get one for my daughter and she can switch back to my switch for stuff like Mario Party or when she wants to play on the big screen.

There is also talk (I didn't see it mentioned here) that the regular switch is getting a minor upgrade (not the Pro) so it might be worth waiting for that if you want to take the plunge.
Old 07-12-19, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Thanks. No need for me to buy one then. Fuck that convoluted nonsense in 2019.

I already lost my 100+ hour Zelda save when I sold my launch system and re-bought one a few months later.

Last edited by Noonan; 07-12-19 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I am beyond shocked that this game is on the Switch. You don't want to watch the video around kids or at work.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._its_out_today
Old 07-12-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I am beyond shocked that this game is on the Switch. You don't want to watch the video around kids or at work.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._its_out_today
Still better than this one:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...-first-switch/
Old 07-13-19, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

anyone use a PowerA wired controller?
I can't take any more of the random disconnects from the joy cons while in docked mode
Old 07-13-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacon
anyone use a PowerA wired controller?
I can't take any more of the random disconnects from the joy cons while in docked mode
I bought one for when our nephew and niece come over to play Mario Kart and it seems to work fine for them. I'd never use it. Just get a pro controller.
Old 07-13-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Is there a way to lock that on the Switch so a kid couldn’t access it?
Old 07-13-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Do they have access to your eShop password? It asks you to sign in before you can actually get in and browse. Not sure if you can hide titles of a certain rating or whatever though.
Old 07-13-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you just want one for attached mode (like the Lite) just spend 15 to 20 bucks on a Hori one at Target. Seems fine to me.
I've seen those but there's a couple reasons why I've passed:
  • I don't think it works in the joy-con dock and ideally I would prefer that to work as well.
  • Although aesthetics aren't that important, they only have the Zelda- and Mario-themed ones as far as I can tell and both are ugly. I don't know why they don't have a solid color one.
Old 07-13-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Lock what, the game? If you turn parental controls on, nobody can access any games over a certain age rating without putting in the code. It's really annoying, though. You can't even access some news feeds, I think I tried to watch a pokemon video from their own news feed and it said I had to enter the code.

I also enabled a timer so it tells you when you're playing too much, and it's also super annoying. Their account system is a joke, so they treat every account the same way (otherwise a kid could easily get into an adult account to get around the limits).

Originally Posted by kefrank
I've seen those but there's a couple reasons why I've passed:
  • I don't think it works in the joy-con dock and ideally I would prefer that to work as well.
  • Although aesthetics aren't that important, they only have the Zelda- and Mario-themed ones as far as I can tell and both are ugly. I don't know why they don't have a solid color one.
Yeah, it doesn't work separate from the switch at all, but that's the same deal as the Lite, where the joycon is permanently attached. I kind of doubt they'll ever release a full joycon with the pad because it would make the single joycon horizontal mode suck.

The Japanese Hori one has a dark blue version, but I always assumed they made them branded and ugly on purpose because of some Nintendo mandate to not confuse customers.
Old 07-14-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I bought one for when our nephew and niece come over to play Mario Kart and it seems to work fine for them. I'd never use it. Just get a pro controller.
ended up getting a pro controller and 6 USB extention cable so it'll reach from my seat while charging
the difference is amazing , no input lag at all
speaking of lag Nintendo needs to fix the online play in Mario Maker 2 ugh

Last edited by Bacon; 07-14-19 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-14-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

The charging cables are probably overkill since a pro controller charge lasts a crazy long time. It’s not like the pussy battery life on PS4 controllers.
Old 07-14-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't like the idea of having to use the same control sticks until they die. What do you do then? The Switch now becomes Stuck.
Old 07-14-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean I don’t foresee them dying that easily. Of all the consoles/handhelds I’ve owned I don’t think I’ve ever completely worn out the control sticks or any buttons actually. Even the N64 controllers which have control sticks that are prone to wear fast mine still work.
Old 07-14-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, it doesn't work separate from the switch at all, but that's the same deal as the Lite, where the joycon is permanently attached. I kind of doubt they'll ever release a full joycon with the pad because it would make the single joycon horizontal mode suck.
Admittedly, I don't know the inner workings of the joycon, but it seems like they could make one that works in the Switch and in the joycon dock (in both cases the joycon is "docked"), but not in horizontal standalone mode. That's really all I'd want. But it's all good - I don't really need it.

Old 07-14-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They could sell an individual Joy Con with a d-pad and I’m sure it would sell. Keep selling the Switch with the Joy Cons as they are, but it wouldn’t hurt to at least give the people who want a d-pad that option. It seems like it would be a logical accessory to offer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.