Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-01-16, 07:10 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JuryDuty
Tips for new players:
  • Unless you're into spending money, don't ever buy data packs (except the first Chromium--it guarantees you a character; you buy it with crystals).
  • Once in a great while you'll get a character from a daily pack, or shards, but 45% of the characters you get will be from the various stores in the game. You can only see 1-2 when you start (Cantina and Squad Arena), but eventually you'll see another 3 or so, and they'll keep you busy grabbing character shards. The other 45% of the characters you get will be from doing hard battles...one shard at a time.
  • At the start, you really just need to keep plugging away at what you know to do. The game is great at opening up new areas when you're about ready for them. Don't even be that concerned about which characters are the "right ones." For instance, you'll probably continue to use Clone Wars Chewbacca for a while...but you'll likely abandon him by level 60 or so in favor of other characters.
  • I do highly recommend doing nothing in the Cantina except getting GS shards (Battle 1-A). Just do it over and over again until he's 7*. I camped there until he was done and then started doing more cantina battles. You'll use him way into the end game. Do one Cantina refresh every day (100 crystals).
  • In the Squad Arena (PvP), ST Han and Leia are both great choices. Again, I'd just keep farming them until they were maxed, then move on.
  • Other than that, keep doing the Light and Dark side battles. (Refresh twice each day (50 crystals each)). Right now you can just try to get through the levels, but eventually you'll want each one three stars because you'll go back to them countless times to get specific character shards so you can get a character, or to get equipment parts to make them stronger. By the way, equipment (those green pluses) make a HUGE difference--more than anything!
  • Be sure to get through your Dailies every day. That maxes your growth.
  • It's a bit frustrating early on because you want to get a bunch of characters, but if you really focus on building a strong team, they'll open the game for you.
  • Don't hesitate to use ALL your energy every single day. And if you fight a battle a second time, use a SIM if you have it. I was so concerned early on with burning through my credits and SIMs that I hoarded them. No need to do that. They all refill the following day, and by using them you grow faster.
  • These are generally considered some of the best characters in each store, in order of general preference. If you're not sure who to get, get them in this order. But don't let the idea of getting the "best" characters rule your gameplay. It's fun to play with whoever you want and sometimes unique combinations do surprisingly well:

Guild Shipments: Rey, Ewok Elder
    Arena Shipments: ST Han, Princess Leia, Admiral Ackbar
    Galactic War Shipments: Luminara, Captain Phasma, Teebo, Poggle the Lesser, IG-86 (Note: Luminara is best up to about level 75, then Phasma seems to shine more. Ultimately, you'll want both.)
    Cantina Shipments: Qui-Gon Jinn, Daka, Fives, Ahsoka
    Cantina Battles: Geonosian Soldier, Barriss, Count Dooku, Old Ben, Royal Guard, Jedi Consular, Luke Skywalker, Lando Calrissian

Print Wikipost

Old 04-17-17, 09:00 AM   #2251
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
The main difference between now and a few months ago is the ability to do activities at 4X speed. I still don't like ships, but I don't mind a battle that takes 2 minutes as opposed to 7. I also like the basic only option for auto battles. That along with the 4X speed makes GW much faster.

It was announced this weekend that there is a new mode coming, but they didn't go into any further details. They also said 2 new fan favorite toons are coming in the next few months. The way they featured Jedi Luke in the new game trailer, many assume he's one of them.

The tank raid is a piece of cake now and most in the guild will have GK to 7* in the next few weeks.

So far I have zeta'ed:
Fives
Kylo
QGJ
Cody

I have over 20 again, but I'm saving them from here on out until the next round of zeta abilities are announced.
I'm at 39 with three zetas (Vader, Maul and Kylo) and have thought about using one on a luxury Zeta like Nilhus or Boba but I am pretty sure something is going to come out this month by way of a major character update with new Zetas so I am saving.

Their drop rate is ridiculous though.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 04-17-17, 09:44 AM   #2252
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Would I even recognize the guild at this point?
Old 04-17-17, 10:47 AM   #2253
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
There's always David, lol. There are some familiar faces. They are putting up some ridiculous numbers in AAT.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 04-17-17, 10:58 AM   #2254
davidh777
DVD Talk Hero

I continue to play but am still way behind everyone else.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-17-17, 11:08 AM   #2255
Obey The D
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Most from here are still in the Guild.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 04-17-17, 11:19 AM   #2256
chase3001
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately, they promoted Obey The D to guild officer. Talk about power going to someones head.

I'm barely playing at this point, just doing the minimums.
Old 04-17-17, 11:46 AM   #2257
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase3001 View Post
I'm barely playing at this point, just doing the minimums.
Old 04-17-17, 12:24 PM   #2258
JuryDuty
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
The main difference between now and a few months ago is the ability to do activities at 4X speed. I still don't like ships, but I don't mind a battle that takes 2 minutes as opposed to 7. I also like the basic only option for auto battles. That along with the 4X speed makes GW much faster.
These quality of life updates are REALLY good. After playing the game at 4X speed, you'll wonder how you ever played at anything slower. And they did other things like add a button that lets you accomplish all your challenges at once, so on Sundays one button push gets loot from six challenges at a time. SOO much better. They also let you preset teams now, so I have a team set up for each phase of a raid, which makes jumping in so much easier.

Proud winner of DVDTalk Survivor Game: Round 4 and DVDTalk Amazing Race Game: Round 7, Round 8, and Round 13
Old 04-17-17, 01:04 PM   #2259
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, I'm kind of glad I bailed when I did. If those QoL improvements came before, I probably would still be playing every day.
Old 04-17-17, 02:37 PM   #2260
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
The tank raid is a piece of cake now
It is?! I'm still terrible at it.

Quote:
and most in the guild will have GK to 7* in the next few weeks.
We will? Not me! I'm still at 5* with 41/85 for 6*. I've never gotten more than 6 shards at a time and I've missed a few raids, here and there.
Old 04-17-17, 03:07 PM   #2261
cruzness
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
We will? Not me! I'm still at 5* with 41/85 for 6*. I've never gotten more than 6 shards at a time and I've missed a few raids, here and there.
You've missed quite a few then but I also think you were on the leftover team from The great split of '16.

I'm not digging the 2 a day raids. I sometimes don't pay attention and miss stuff because of that. I'm sure we do 2 a days for the members who merc on a regular basis. Like chase I am not trying hard. I do the minimum and zero most of the raids.
Old 04-17-17, 04:47 PM   #2262
Obey The D
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzness View Post
You've missed quite a few then but I also think you were on the leftover team from The great split of '16.

I'm not digging the 2 a day raids. I sometimes don't pay attention and miss stuff because of that. I'm sure we do 2 a days for the members who merc on a regular basis. Like chase I am not trying hard. I do the minimum and zero most of the raids.
Has nothing to do with mercing. We have run 2 raids on the same day during the weekend for months. Only time it happens during the week is when we have enough tickets for a bonus Raid.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 04-17-17, 07:46 PM   #2263
cruzness
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I wouldn't say months - February was when it first started popping up and I have not cared for the 2 a day raids regardless of when they are posted. Unfortunately I got stuff to do on the weekends and 2 a days on weekends makes it so I post zero or I miss out because I am out and about. It was always easier to go hit the bathroom at work to hit a raid.

Dude, don't get me wrong I am OK with our big dogs or anyone interested going mercing, Just don't tell me that we haven't made changes in the Raid schedule to accommidate them when it has been posted that raids are being held back to let newbies from other guilds get rewards. And yes I know technically mercing has been squashed by the developers but that did not happen until after our schedules were adjusted and I am sure David and the other big brains have figured out a way to game the system.

Otherwise I am happy with the direction the guild is going.
Old 04-17-17, 08:40 PM   #2264
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I was in P4 and we weren't getting anywhere on that tank raid!
Old 04-17-17, 11:25 PM   #2265
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Which is why I pushed and pushed and pushed to adhere to the original vision of the split! SH wasn't wanting to listen or worry about it. Then some bullshit happened and I flipped the table.

Glad to hear it's progressing and David's happy changing guilds every 18 hours.
Old 04-18-17, 09:57 AM   #2266
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

It was announced this weekend that there is a new mode coming, but they didn't go into any further details. They also said 2 new fan favorite toons are coming in the next few months. The way they featured Jedi Luke in the new game trailer, many assume he's one of them.

The tank raid is a piece of cake now and most in the guild will have GK to 7* in the next few weeks.

So far I have zeta'ed:
Fives
Kylo
QGJ
Cody

I have over 20 again, but I'm saving them from here on out until the next round of zeta abilities are announced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I'm at 39 with three zetas (Vader, Maul and Kylo) and have thought about using one on a luxury Zeta like Nilhus or Boba but I am pretty sure something is going to come out this month by way of a major character update with new Zetas so I am saving.

Their drop rate is ridiculous though.
I'm currently 8/20 to zeta my first toon.

Quote:
I'm sure that you will be welcomed with open arms if you decide to join us again pin! However, if you are happy enjoying your exile from this game, we are happy for you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
It is?! I'm still terrible at it.

Quote:

Story, as Cruz said, you must have missed quite a few since I was in the Non GK SH guild (Loser's club) during the split and I will have him at 6*, 28/100 for 7* (after today's Raid) ever since we reformed CE again.

Quote:
I wouldn't say months - February was when it first started popping up and I have not cared for the 2 a day raids regardless of when they are posted. Unfortunately I got stuff to do on the weekends and 2 a days on weekends makes it so I post zero or I miss out because I am out and about. It was always easier to go hit the bathroom at work to hit a raid.

Dude, don't get me wrong I am OK with our big dogs or anyone interested going mercing, Just don't tell me that we haven't made changes in the Raid schedule to accommidate them when it has been posted that raids are being held back to let newbies from other guilds get rewards. And yes I know technically mercing has been squashed by the developers but that did not happen until after our schedules were adjusted and I am sure David and the other big brains have figured out a way to game the system.

Otherwise I am happy with the direction the guild is going.
I sympathize with Cruz's sentiments about letting our Big Dogs mercing since I think it affect our Daily tickets but as long our guild is not too hamstrung with it, I can live with it.
Old 04-18-17, 10:18 AM   #2267
Obey The D
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's one of the reasons I created an alt That way we aren't loosing out on too many tickets. It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with mercing. I personally don't have a problem with it, but it's something I don't have an interest in doing. In the long run I think it helps, because by them gearing their toons we will be better prepared for the next Raid when it drops. We haven't missed out on running any Raids because of it and if it ever did become an issue I would bring it to their attention. Mino really does try to make things as fair for everyone as possible.

Same thing with running weekend Raids. For every person that says they don't have time to run them on the weekend, you will have someone else pop up and say running them during the week is not good because work gets in the way.

Old 04-18-17, 10:22 AM   #2268
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I'm sure that you will be welcomed with open arms if you decide to join us again pin! However, if you are happy enjoying your exile from this game, we are happy for you too.
Old 04-18-17, 11:19 AM   #2269
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That's one of the reasons I created an alt That way we aren't loosing out on too many tickets. It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with mercing. I personally don't have a problem with it, but it's something I don't have an interest in doing. In the long run I think it helps, because by them gearing their toons we will be better prepared for the next Raid when it drops. We haven't missed out on running any Raids because of it and if it ever did become an issue I would bring it to their attention. Mino really does try to make things as fair for everyone as possible.

Same thing with running weekend Raids. For every person that says they don't have time to run them on the weekend, you will have someone else pop up and say running them during the week is not good because work gets in the way.
I think its a nice compromise between keeping the Big Dogs happy so they don't get too restless and for the smaller players like me, to enjoy the rewards of the Raids. I don't envy the officers in trying to keep this fine line fair for both groups. After having experienced being in the SH guild where I felt treated like crap, you appreciate a guild like ours where we try to make it fair for everyone. Mind you, I'm not in the Officers Chat so I don't know how much behind the scene drama goes on as experienced by Mmr604 leaving in a tiff...
I think sometimes, it's better for me to not know that too.

It's true that real life gets in the way but I just post a zero now the night before and don't have to feel pressured in hitting the raid or not. EA/CG making the GK shards rewards consistent for 4-50 was great. I don't have the teams to ever get top 3 so no real stress in missing out hitting a Raid.
Old 04-18-17, 12:57 PM   #2270
Hokeyboy
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of Zetas, I'm about to get my 20th. Is there a pecking order for the best toons to Zeta first? I'd look it up now but office filter blocks gaming sites.
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 04-18-17, 01:39 PM   #2271
davidh777
DVD Talk Hero

My GK is at 16/100 so I have a long way to go as well. My raids are getting better but still pretty mediocre. My top characters don't have enough power, and my secondaries aren't built up enough to do significant damage.

Don't have any zetas yet.

I don't have any issues with the raids, as I can usually post a zero. I often miss the Saturday FFA at 7 a.m. Pacific time, though. Glad we don't have the "loser's club" guild anymore.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-18-17, 01:47 PM   #2272
Obey The D
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Speaking of Zetas, I'm about to get my 20th. Is there a pecking order for the best toons to Zeta first? I'd look it up now but office filter blocks gaming sites.
Who do you run in arena? Also, what factions are your strongest?

Old 04-18-17, 10:11 PM   #2273
Hokeyboy
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Who do you run in arena? Also, what factions are your strongest?
I'm not a big power player. My major factions are Jedi and Rebel with some Clones and Droid.

My arena team is Phasma, QGJ, Lumi, Rey, and RG. All at X. Thanks!
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 04-18-17, 10:14 PM   #2274
JuryDuty
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you have or have the ability to get General Kenobi? He might work well with that team. I'm doing zeta'd GK (lead), zeta'd Barriss, zeta'd Yoda, zeta'd Nihilus and have gotten down to #2 in Arena against the Sith. Personally, I focus more on getting zetas from ship currency than anything.

Proud winner of DVDTalk Survivor Game: Round 4 and DVDTalk Amazing Race Game: Round 7, Round 8, and Round 13
Old 04-19-17, 08:33 PM   #2275
Imprint

After my rebels started struggling to keep top-50, I switched to Jedi. I zeta'd QGJ (lead), Yoda, and Barriss. Team is rounded out with GK (6*) and JKA. I'm back to top 8-20. Each day I fall to 20-30, but I easily get back in 20 or 10. Hopefully they do release a Jedi Luke soon, so I can slot him in and keep rolling.

And everyone is right about the quality of life improvements being fantastic.

Now they seriously need to release a new raid.